• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Panchito said:
My strategy would be a sharp jab into Belgium, once you pass Ghent theres their two VPs and no fortresses at all. From Belgium you can turn the German flank rather easily.
However, the Franco-German standoff has lasted well into 1945, so it could be quite some tough going (although I did carve up the Balkans however I wanted). My lack of a powerful air force is worrying, but then again, your lack of armour is too. Do you plan to make up for it with the massive airpower?

Hi Panchito,

my inital strategy was to attack Germany from both Belgium and Southern Germany. I discarded the plan and decided to attack from the South only. Reason for that was simply that I thought I would need even more military for an attack from 2 sites.

Regarding air force/armour: As I said in my very first post in this thread, I am pretty new to HOI. But in my few games that I played I was VERY disappointed by the effect of armour. IMO they have no real value unless you can move through terrain that suits them well. In my case, they would reach this terrain in North/East Germany...when my troops are there, the war is over anyway :) My decision was purely based on my own experiences (whether they are right or wrong - I don't know), and I think that armour is WAY too expensive for the little effect it can have.

@germanpeon: Russia built up their military at a dramatic speed. I don't know, why but right from the start of the game they seemed to only build infantry. I think they started with approx. 100 divisions which turned into 250ish in a few years :)

Edzako said:
Russia tends to do that, do you have any plans what to do after Germany is defeated ?
Better question: are the post-war events finished?

Edzako said:
Russia tends to do that, do you have any plans what to do after Germany is defeated ?

To be honest, no. I guess the next goal will be Austria/Hungary and their satellites. Then possibly Africa. But who knows, I fear the game becomes boring now :(

Shall I release Belgium, Germany, Poland after they're done?

Total annexation is preferrable.

You should even turn on the Soviets at the end, end the game with a bang.

I say now turn south on Austria and Italy (yes your "allies"). After that try to conquer Africa.

Anyways, what a beast of an update! It was quite enjoyable though, I'm glad to see the progress you made.

A united Europe is the only way to go.

andydach said:
To be honest, no. I guess the next goal will be Austria/Hungary and their satellites. Then possibly Africa. But who knows, I fear the game becomes boring now :(

Shall I release Belgium, Germany, Poland after they're done?
IIRC there is a surrender event for Germany which should fire any time now.

Are you going to release any puppets, I know once Germany surrenders or you annex them, you can release 3 or 4 different puppets as a result.

Go after Austria and Hungary next, liberate the Czech Republic (Bohemia).

Germany has VPs all over the world, annexing them won't be easy (and is not on my target list atm).
As you said, next goal will be Austria/Hungary and their satellites. I don't think I will release puppets in central Europe.

Once Europe is 'freed', I will probably go for Africa or Canada/USA. However, I don't know if this is going to be enjoyable for both me and you (as readers). The game is basically decided by now...

NO PUPPETS!!!!!

Communism needs no countries! Everybody works together!

Excellent progess, in my game I got bagged down in the ruhr and alsace-lorraine.

Of course Germany also had the help of every european nation East of me...

Do the Soviets have cores on former Russian territories?

Georgiy Zhukov said:
Excellent progess, in my game I got bagged down in the ruhr and alsace-lorraine.

Of course Germany also had the help of every european nation East of me...

Do the Soviets have cores on former Russian territories?

To be honest, after all I think it was 'wrong' to coup Russia into the Soviet state. With them on my site it was too easy. Also, that Austria/Hungary cancelled their alliance (and with Germany) made it less challenging.

I don't know if Russia has cores but I guess so (don't know how to check).

Update 11

Germany is almost beaten, so is the rest of their alliance. Progressing further to the East.

000mm2.png

The Soviets are done in Lithuania.

001nv3.png

Hopefully, the resource-rich Polish provinces (Lublin, Warsaw) will be captured by us and not the Russians.

002fh3.png

003xa7.png

Torun gives us heavy resistance. Our troops often have to retreat.
004rl4.png

005oz4.png

11 August: Poland, Ukraine and White Ruthenia are almost beaten. So is Germany, but heavy forces are still defending Torun

Now look at these cowards! They lost the war and German politicians retreat to Mittelafrika and retake control in Göring's paradise.

006ql7.png

007bu2.png

Well, I guess the old men want to spend the rest of their days far away from the melting pot that Europe is.

3 September: The situation is totally under control. Just a few more days before the capitalists' alliance surrenders.

008hr0.png

On September 14, Germany, White Ruthenia and Poland are beaten. The war in Europe is over. For now.

009ab8.png

ITS NOT OVER!!! 2 German provinces left!!!

It shall never be over!

They shall return!

And now the only thing they have is Afrika Korps. :p

This time Rommel might get more tanks. :D

And they should have more IC I believe...

I like this AAR its very enjoyable, I have to say though I like the older German tank graphic better. You seemed to nail the coffen to the Kaiser! Vive le France! And are the soviets your ally? A bit odd I think. Congrats on your German campaign.

In Mid October 1943 the war against Germany was basically over. All they had left was either somewhere on the ocean or far far away in Africa or Asia.

France's soldiers were looking forward to seeing their families again. But their evil government (hello us) had other plans.

Everyone had to leave Poland, the Ukraine and move either towards Northern Germany (guarding the coastline) or to the Austrian border.

001wh5.png

On 15 October war was declared on Austria. At this point they no longer had any allies, we expected them to surrender before the end of the year.

002ab9.png

OK, or almost no allies. The puppet, Bosnia, declares war on us. They are landlocked...they can't send any help for them.
The Austrians march into the weakly defended province Nürnberg.

003tm8.png

Our troops secure the bordering provinces in the south. The plan is to move with an attacking force from the north into the south (see yellow line).

004ed5.png

13 November: 1 month into the war, Austria lost all northern provinces. Some units occupy Italian territorities, but this should be no permanent condition.

005tn8.png

France lost 2 big battles in Innsbruck and another one in Wien. But by 12 January 1944 we finished them off and Austria is annexed. We give back what belongs to Italy.

006gu8.png

007rv3.png

Europe, January 15 1944:
008ct9.png

Our production changes towards naval superiority. Heavily. We want to return France to her former glorious days when we sailed across the oceans!

009ij1.png

OK, we will no longer sail but the intention remains. New ships soon to be built!
010bz2.png

A little change in our cabinet is required. Maurice Thorez is promoted our new foreign minister.
011dm6.png

Next we're going for North Africa. Casablanca will soon be ours! Next would be Suez. Except for the small Africa corps, most of our soldiers can go home and see their families. There are no further 'dangers' that need to be taken care of in the very near future.

012ju2.png

PrussianPrince said:
I like this AAR its very enjoyable, I have to say though I like the older German tank graphic better. You seemed to nail the coffen to the Kaiser! Vive le France! And are the soviets your ally? A bit odd I think. Congrats on your German campaign.

Thank you!

I couped the Russians on my side because I didn't think it was possible if France/Italy faced Germany, Poland, Austria, Hungary, Ukraine, Russia and all the minor Balkan states. As it turned out, we faced Germany on her own... :wacko: That made the game too easy.