• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wouldn't making the East India Company a substate of GB be a good idea as well? Then GB could get an "Government of India act" decision to reintegrate them under certain circumstances.

I would love to see India somehow represented as semi-independent, VIP for the original game shows just how many problems it solves. Hopefully Paradox can find other uses for the system, I strongly dislike country-unique mechanics.

That´s what "compete" means, or is it? Sorry, my English is far from perfect. However, the historical result (at one point, changing later) was dominat Russian influence in North China, dominant French influence in South China, British influence at the coastline, and so on... of course there were "hotspots" where everybody was going, but as well there were those areas where one party clearly was stronger. This can nicely be reflected by the substate system, I want to say.

The issue isn't that they competed, but that they didn't compete in every area. Some areas were free from foreign influence entirely. It seems stupid to me that foreign powers should fight over these areas as much as the coastal areas that they fought over historically.

What stopped them from trying to influence them historically?
Why shouldnt they fight over them?

Historically?

I imagine that the cost of shipping goods deap into the interior of China would have made them too expensive for the locals to buy. If merchants and industrialists couldn't make a profit in the interior regions then they wouldn't put presure on their governments to gain influence in those reigons.

The issue isn't that they competed, but that they didn't compete in every area. Some areas were free from foreign influence entirely. It seems stupid to me that foreign powers should fight over these areas as much as the coastal areas that they fought over historically.

Ok now I understand, and of course you are right: why should GP compete to SOI remote, economically worthless areas? No reason, really. Now the question is: will there be such "worthless" substates of China in the game (then, the GP should go for the juicy parts and ignore the others) or will every Chinese substate be of some balanced economic value?

From the map, and my (incomplete, amateur) knowledge regarding distribution of wealth and economy in China, it seems to me that all substates may be worth something. Just my guess, of course. But if this guess is correct, all SOI struggles over any Chinese substate will be justified to some degree.

From the map, and my (incomplete, amateur) knowledge regarding distribution of wealth and economy in China, it seems to me that all substates may be worth something. Just my guess, of course. But if this guess is correct, all SOI struggles over any Chinese substate will be justified to some degree.

IMO only two substates (three if you count "Beijing") would be worth fighting over. This is including strategic reasons as well as economic ones.

Well, I would not fight over the westernmost substate (Xinjiang?) or "Greater Mongolia"... but for the rest... it looks like...maybe...
However, we will see. I really hope you are wrong, because if you are right and all the SOI competition would take place over just two or maybe three substates... that would be boring IMO.

Great to see improvements on China; When I play France or Germany I usually forced my way into Suez Canal Zone - Usually by attacking Egypt and then made off to China where I played cut and paste with it and formed a massive army and military (not very challanging after a couple of plays, but was the only way to take on the British Empire).

Ever since I read about this substate feature, I'm thinking about how to use it in a mod. That is why i have a few questions:

1. Can substates be created/uncreated by events or decisions? (this may have been already answered yes)

2. Can civilized nations be substates, or only uncivs?