Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Did we just launch 12 anti missiles on every incoming missile? I fear we gonna be out of defensive measures at that rate.

Edit: Or does it target groups of missiles?

Yeah, it targets groups. There were 6 salvos (or groups) of 4 missiles each. On the other hand, with those speeds we just might need 12 AMMs to actually take down one of their missiles.

I'd seriously consider pulling back towards the jump point.

Permission to speak without being accused of cowardice.

I believe we should engage in a tactical withdrawal out of the system.

We do no thave the capability to engage the enemy, and our anti-missile defenses are quite limited.

We're going to require a serious upgrading of our fleet to even contend with these Prix warships.

Don't know if that's a good idea at this point, if we are far away from the jump point, they could follow and take us apart while fleeing, still keeping out of range all the time.

Another salvo of 12 missiles arrives before our PD missiles can travel far enough to intercept them. Once again, the Decoy Vessel ESNT Granite is the target. Five incoming missiles miss, two are destroyed by the CIWS, and the remaining five impact on the outer armor. One lucky hit lands directly in the crater left by a missile in the earlier salvo, and chews down into the fourth layer of armor. All the other hits do only minor damage, landing on fresh or nearly-fresh patches of armor.

Our PD missiles are now passing the ESNT Granite, and reaching out to intercept incoming missiles before they get close enough to do further damage.

We do no thave the capability to engage the enemy, and our anti-missile defenses are quite limited.

We're going to require a serious upgrading of our fleet to even contend with these Prix warships.

Considering the speed of the prix, couldn't they overtake us fairly easily?

Considering the speed of the prix, couldn't they overtake us fairly easily?

Of course, but what good are we going to do staying in the system getting hit from afar?

They can outrun any of our ships if we get into firing range.

Full speed ahead!

Show these prix what humans are made of!

Also, when all these commanders are dead, can I get one of the free positions? :D

Can we not send the fighters in to engage them while they are firing on the rest of our fleet?

I believe that their capital ships are faster than our fighters.

Of course, but what good are we going to do staying in the system getting hit from afar?

They can outrun any of our ships if we get into firing range.

They will run out of missiles or will be forced to resuply, we must follow them and destroy their base and them if they choose to fight for it.

I'd like to propose we start developing long-range weapons systems designed to engage Prix ships at vast distances.

Something similar to our minelayer concept, but perhaps with some sensors to guide our missiles.

At the moment, we simply don't have anything fast or long-range enough to contend.

16 armor layers? This is madness :D

So, he has 15 misisle launchers and they have WH 6. Good, at least it's not WH 9.
Still, there are a couple more salvos incoming, obviously, since there were a couple of interruptions before the ship turned back.

Assuming he fired 3 or 4 salvos, that makes for a moderately-sized magazine, which is good for us.

I'd expect him to go reload. Given the direction, there might be a supply station floating in deep space. That or it's some big poorly-armed ship that acts as supplier.

At least, the active sensors of the decoys mean that we can spot the enemy ship at their firing range - though it looks like it's barely useful to spot incoming missiles until they're at something like 40.000 km (basically, less than 5 seconds of flying distance).

They're still well out of our firing range, too.
This was my fear, that they would spot the sensors and, thanks to longer range, would nuke us way before we'd be at firing range - and why I now tend to go with sensors off until the general area where I expect to find them (basically where my scouts spooted them, or were destroyed). By general area, I mean within striking distance, something like 15-17m km. Of course, it could happen that they spot me first, in which case, if I know I've been detected, there's no point keeping sensors off.

I'd seriously consider pulling back towards the jump point.
They're twice as fast as we are, and they probably already fired a sizable portion of their missile stocks. Pulling back won't change anything. The only thing to do, though, is keep moving, since speed reduces slightly the chance-to-hit (as opposed to PCDs sitting ducks).

I don't have enough info to be sure what kind of ships these are. Though 7150 tons tends to mean warships, and the weaponised kind, not the "active sensor" kind. With luck, 3 of them are beam ships, which can be nuked from far away, but obviously 2 or 3 of them are missile-cruisers. At least I hope it's a mixed taskforce, because if they're all missile-launchers, we're in trouble; the decoys might not last long enough for us to be at firing range of the attackers.

While retreating might be a good idea in theory, I don't see how it offers us any chance of survival. It would take us quite literally several DAYS to reach the jump point out. The Prix are more than twice as fast as us, and could easily follow us and stay at optimum missile range until they've expended their entire load-out. Since with that plan, our survival would be dependant on the Prix running out of ammunition before they've finished destroying all of our ships... why don't we attack instead? If we do that, we can still survive if the Prix run out of ammo... but we could also survive by killing all the Prix warships!

Opinions?