Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Set course for battle I say!

A:Commander, we have identified Prix ships are using to replenish munition stockpiles

C: Give me visual

A:
deathstar.jpg

C: Proceed with attack as ordered.

If they attack us, we attack back. If we run out of ammo, we attempt to ram. If we burn, we burn for Earth.

While retreating might be a good idea in theory, I don't see how it offers us any chance of survival. It would take us quite literally several DAYS to reach the jump point out. The Prix are more than twice as fast as us, and could easily follow us and stay at optimum missile range until they've expended their entire load-out. Since with that plan, our survival would be dependant on the Prix running out of ammunition before they've finished destroying all of our ships... why don't we attack instead? If we do that, we can still survive if the Prix run out of ammo... but we could also survive by killing all the Prix warships!

Opinions?

Valhalla, I am coming!

[video=youtube;Y2hZ6OytDxo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2hZ6OytDxo&feature=related[/video]

It won't be possible to retreat now, you'll have to play the whole battle out, but if you have any fast ships left at earth which are small and jump capable, you could potential rescue any life pods.

We've made too many compromises already; too many retreats. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further!

We are already committed. The time to retreat was when the first prix skirmisher ran.

At this point, we (at least in the minelayer fleet) are here until we (or they) die.

Good call on the Rock class so far. They are performing their duty admirably!

If we run, they will simply follow and snipe us to the last man. If they make a stand, we have a chance to overpower them.

With regards to the game going slowly it is possible (if you dare) to set the "min inc" field in the top right corner of your system map to say 20. This will force 20 time increments to pass before pausing again.... of course if something interesting should happen you cannot respond until said time increments have passed.

So how do I prevent my PD missile tubes from firing automatically at incoming salvos? They are NOT currently set to Auto Fire... I had assumed that this setting would disable the automatic fire functionality. Do I have to set "Point Defense Mode" to "none", and then re-enable it again when I want to take a shot?

So how do I prevent my PD missile tubes from firing automatically at incoming salvos? They are NOT currently set to Auto Fire... I had assumed that this setting would disable the automatic fire functionality. Do I have to set "Point Defense Mode" to "none", and then re-enable it again when I want to take a shot?

Sounds like a bug, but you could try that or remove the fire control from the missile launcher and then reassign.

Of the next two incoming 4-missile salvos, our PD missiles kill six... leaving only two missiles to continue on towards the Decoy Ship Granite, which we assume to be the intended target.

The enemy are still heading straight for us, but still out of our firing range by about 18 million km. I have ordered all ships to charge the enemy.

Do I have to set "Point Defense Mode" to "none", and then re-enable it again when I want to take a shot?

This , I guess, is the right decision, keep your valuable AMM to defend the main fleet.
The Prix will eventually run out of missiles and close in for beam fight then you attack them one by one.

EDIT: Auto Fire is known to be source of troubles, but here it's just your "Point Defense Mode" reacting to the assessed threat ( they are firing to a ship of yours )

We're 18mio km from firing range, and they already fire at our decoys? Amazing.

This has the potential to be Earth's most successful military operation since the Klendathu drop!

Three more incoming missiles are destroyed, and another salvo of four has been sighted at extreme PD range.

I have turned off PD missile interception for most of the fleet, and am only firing intercepts with a few ships on each round, to avoid running dry... to-Hit chances are around 20-odd percent, which gives us roughly a 50-50 chance of a kill with each 3-missile salvo... and the ones that make it through our PD screen only score hits about half of the time, even if the Decoy Ship's CIWS misses them.

It is barely possible that if the Prix hold course, continue closing on us and continue shooting at our Decoy Ship, we just might survive this.

Last edited:
gettysburggeneralarmist.jpg