• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Tell me Sybot, did you ever play as Brasil in the original Vicky? Prestige rushing was a prime strategy as Brasil in that game. I was so fond of that strategy I tried to replicate it in my third ever Vicky 2 game; suffice to say It didn't work out. I don't know how the conversion has effected your chances though, so good luck and I hope it pays off for you.

I never played the original, I just picked up the strategy from reading a few AARs. I don't know how good my chances are compared to the normal scenario but I hope that getting at least one of the prestige inventions at 20 prestige is a good sign.

PS. The amount of prestige you get for culture inventions depends on how many other nations have triggered it.

I figured that out, I was just wondering that because it seems like a ton of people got Romanticist Music to drop it to 6.6 but no one got the other two inventions from Romanticism which are both on 20. Maybe I was just lucky.

I figured that out, I was just wondering that because it seems like a ton of people got Romanticist Music to drop it to 6.6 but no one got the other two inventions from Romanticism which are both on 20. Maybe I was just lucky.

It's only two other people. The first to get it gets 20 prestige, the second 20/2, the third 20/3 and so on.

I've noticed the AI doesn't really go down the Aesthetics route, so later techs should get you more prestige.

I've noticed the AI doesn't really go down the Aesthetics route, so later techs should get you more prestige.

I've seen it happen a few times, usually if a German or Italian minor becomes a GP it's because they've got lucky with those culture inventions.

I've really enjoyed your EU 3 AARs, I'm sure this will be great as well! I will follow.

Dewirix, Tanzhang: Thanks, I didn’t know that. Apart from that one the Aesthetics tree has been very profitable so far and in this update. I can see why it’s a popular strategy. It does feel a little cheesy though so hopefully I won’t need to keep spamming them the keep up with the GPs.
Avindian: Thanks!

Across Oceans: Brazil’s Ongoing Struggle
Chapter Three: Climbing the Ladder

1Fw44.jpg

Under direct orders from King Carlo I, Brazilian industry finally started to grow. However a shortage of machine parts, almost all of which have to be imported from abroad, delayed the construction. Considering the healthy state of country’s finances with the higher taxes mandated by the Partido Caramuru, he ordered the necessary parts to be directly ordered in bulk no matter the cost. (To be honest I have little idea about how trade works so I just manually set it to stock a large amount of machine parts.)

Mr1lb.jpg

Very little happened for the next couple of years as the state focused entirely on industry. However over the years the liberals were slowly gaining more and more power in the Upper House. They represented the wealthy businessmen that had been left out in the cold by the new policies and who were eager to open up the country to democracy to change that…for those with a high enough income at least.

7wMIX.jpg

Elsewhere in the world Bohemia was continuing to throw its weight around in Asia while ignoring the ongoing wars in Europe. They intervened in a war between the Ottomans and Persia as they sought to bring the Persians directly under their influence.

JhScJ.jpg

Upon first riding on the new East Coast Railway from Nuovo Lazio to San Vito, the king recognised the value of this infrastructure improvement ordered the immediate expansion of the network to cover the entire country bar the deepest Amazon.

ROKmM.jpg

The first factories in the nation opened up in late 1842. For the moment they were not up to maximum capacity or turning a significant profit, but finally Brazil was producing goods on the production like the rest of the world.

3ZBqF.jpg

News of major scientific discoveries in Siberia was catching the eyes of forward-looking nations across the world. Brazil joined other nations including Bohemia and Prussia in sending expeditions to see what could be found.

HqgYU.jpg

Realist artists were emerging from Brazil ahead of everyone else in the world, and the enlightening art movement was already opening up the thoughts of the people to Idealism. However, they were not the only one to have these thoughts and it was unlikely that there would be much prestige to be had from it. Nonetheless it would help the progress of the nation in catching up with the Europeans.

TWU7k.jpg

The factories of Brazil were beginning to turn a significant profit, and the government enterprises were considering opening up new facilities in the most successful regions. Brazil’s industry was starting to be noticed, although it had a very long way to go to catch up to Europe.

R6P23.jpg

The latest news in Europe was the annexation of the remnants of the Danish Kingdom which had fled to Iceland. Also, Britain invaded and later annexed Ireland as they continued expanding their empire. They had also expanded their influence in India, brining the massive Travancore into their sphere.

HXclM.jpg

Romanticism and Realism continued to offer prestige to Brazil as they spread across the world.

LUXqj.jpg

Recognition of Brazil’s cultural achievements was having a great impact on its status. Already it had been pushed into the ranks of the Secondary Powers, and as the industry began to kick into gear it slowly climbed those ranks as well.

VWoIk.jpg

In worrying news, Sicily had landed on Java and seized half of the island. The East Indian colonies had fallen in significance in recent years but this was awake up call that expansion was needed lest the region fall into foreign hands. However, most of Brazil’s colonial forces were in Africa dealing with the restless natives and keeping an eye on Sokoto. Something would have to be done their before troops could be reassigned.

TXgvI.jpg

The expedition to Siberia returned with little success, Prussia having taken most of the spoils before the Brazilians could get there. Prussia was already beginning to shine amongst the German states. They had managed to fight off the Russian invasion without losing territory and now were distinguishing themselves scientifically.

byZhl.jpg

To free up the Africa Expedition, it was decided that the best thing to do was to completely cut of Sokoto from anyone who would seek to conquer it. That way it could be taken care of at a later date.

FmDPn.jpg

The Africa Expedition marched directly on the main Sokot army in their capital under the command of highly-skilled Celso de Orleans, while newly arrived troops from Brazil took the territory that was aimed for.

QKZ5q.jpg

The battle was bloody as the Africans had learned much from the last war and ambushed the Brazilians. However superior arms and organisation won through and they were ultimately crushed.

31NCb.jpg

With their army crushed there was nothing between Brazil and the conquest of Sokoto’s remaining territory that bordered other nations or the sea.

MNX3J.jpg

The spread of Idealism through Brazilian academic circles began to open up new lines of thought. What if there were different, maybe even better, ideologies other than the simple monarchy and democracy? This Ideological Thought was the newest line of thinking for researchers.

GmYMR.jpg

Brazil was now the twelfth most powerful nation in the world. Soon, very soon, it would be able to count itself amongst the Great Powers once again.

To be continued…

Poor old Sokoto. I did exactly the same thing in my last Brazil game in vanilla. Seems like they're just too tempting a target.

Idealism and Ideological Thought are just the ticket as far as research is concerned. Should get you teching nicely, although the pluralism boosts will see Consciousness levels rise.

I've seen it happen a few times, usually if a German or Italian minor becomes a GP it's because they've got lucky with those culture inventions.
Yes almost: they'll pop into 8th place, and then have #9 and #10 switching in and out of GP status every 6 months because the minor power has only 1 region and therefore cannot be a GP :) fun eh? That way you get to play a game with only 7 GPs :p

What's the lowest you've seen a Great Power fall before it became a secondary power? I had the Two Sicilies at #28.

I guess that with the annexation of Ireland by Britain, and of Denmark (Iceland) by Scandinavia, Europe's starting to look a bit more like vanilla...
If you don't consider that humongous Bohemia, of course.

Good updates. Nice to see you beginning to power through the ranks now with your prestige based technology and improving your industry, you'll be a great power in no time. I'm also glad to see that Carlo I seems to have the necessary ruthlessness of his grandfather, as evidenced by his forcing the change in government. Brazil will need this if they are to break into the top 5.

tamius23: I don’t know why it didn’t cause a crash for me. It might be random depending on what countries are around.
Dewirix: It helped that I’d been eating them in EU3 as well (when they were Mali).
Juan_de_Marco: That probably won’t happen here, mostly because I want all those culture techs for myself to keep up my score with the ludicrous industry of the GPs.
Mr. Santiago: To be fair I cleaned up Europe a lot both before the EU3 segment and before this AAR. If I’d just straight up converted things would be looking a lot weirder.
morningSIDEr: Sometimes its definitely best to do things yourself. ;) The top five is a bit out of reach for the moment, but I’m definitely aiming to get there by the end of the game!
Selvetrica: Read and find out. ;)

Across Oceans: Brazil’s Ongoing Struggle
Chapter Four: Grasping the Edge

VItSB.jpg

Brazil was on the very cusp of becoming a Great Power, but there were many other nations that sought the same and they were jockeying for position and causing the numbers to shift too fast for Brazil to gain a hold on the coveted place.

(A quick explanation. I upgraded to the latest 1.4 patch, which messed around the scores a little and boosted Brazil up a few places. At the moment Switzerland, Bavaria and the Netherlands all have around the same score as Brazil and are constantly switching around the 7th-10th places.)

8z4CY.jpg

The various rebellions spilled over in Africa and the East Indies, but local forces proved more than capable of putting them down. The exception was a large force of twenty thousand rebels on Brazil’s sole territory in Java. However, with plans to shift colonial conquest priorities a large army was already been planned to be deployed there.

A65fS.jpg

The heavy-handed control of the economy continued to upset capitalists, a fact the king found perplexing as it was only by his getting the economy off the ground that they had even been able to start building their own factories.

c3el9.jpg

Europe was once again embroiled in war as Austria broke away from the Two Sicilies sparking a large conflict in southern Germany and Italy that brought in Bavaria and Switzerland as well. The weakening of two close rivals for Great Power status, as well as one of the more prominent powers, pleased Carlo.

jYmsA.jpg

This finally brought Switzerland over the edge and out of the Great Powers. The Netherlands took its place, leveraging its significant colonial holdings around the world to boost its economy, military and prestige. Brazil continued to hover close but not quite there.

ZglGJ.jpg

While thoughts of new ideologies began to spring up across the nation, a large scale research project into industry was ordered by the king to help Brazil catch up in its weakest area. Improvements to factories through interchangeable parts, better steam engines to help mining and farming operations and upgrades to the railroads were all on the agenda for future development.

9gvTf.jpg

There was a near disaster as a flotilla of clippers was caught in a storm as they transported troops for the East Indies operation. While a number of ships were sunk, they were not carrying any soldiers and the remainder that were made it safely to their destination.

(This is entirely my fault for not really understanding how attrition and ship repairs work in V2. I think I understand now, so hopefully this won’t happen in future.)

4WXJ0.jpg

Suddenly in 1847 Brazil was considered among the Great Powers! Bavaria’s war had weakened it enough to allow Brazil to slip in. Almost immediately Carlo I began using his new-found influence to secure South America from European control. Colombia, the most affected nation, was the first target.

jxGN9.jpg

After the disaster at sea it was decided that the transport segment of the fleet be upgraded and replaced with the steamships that the Europeans were so fond of using. The first three flotillas were built and assigned to replace the clippers of the Asian Fleet, while later on more were constructed to fully replace those of the main Brazilian Fleet.

pIwwt.jpg

The last of the rebels were finally crushed almost two years after they appeared. The amount of time it took to cross the oceans was further impetus to upgrade the transportation capabilities of the fleet. Soon afterwards, Sicily surprisingly allowed Brazil to move its forces through their region of Java to strike at the remaining independent natives.

U2JXD.jpg

There was probably an ulterior motive for Sicily to give up the rest of the island so easily, but Carlo ignored it as the invasion was begun.

LLHhr.jpg

The reason was rapidly uncovered as Brazilian troops marched arrogantly on the Javan capital. It was defended by a well fortified and expertly led contingent of soldiers that came close to wrecking the entire invasion force. Reinforcements had to be called in from the local garrison before the battle could be won. It seemed that Sicily was hoping for Brazil to throw away its army in a brutal conflict.

nPXMA.jpg

Despite efforts from France to halt Brazil’s diplomatic relations with Colombia they were incapable of stemming the tide of influence pouring in. Carlo had taken in an interest in why so many nations were trying to get a piece of the Colombian pie. There was a lot of speculation about the possibility of building a canal across Colombian-owned Panama. While the concept intrigued the king, he was aware that the technology was a bit beyond Brazil for the time being. For now the best thing would just be to get European influence out of Colombia entirely.

A1r1z.jpg

The Javan leader Abdul Khan was finally caught after months of chasing him around the island. In all he was responsible for around twelve thousand Brazilian deaths, and the army did not treat him kindly in captivity.

ZDg0t.jpg

But it all seemed to be in vain. The war in Europe was over and Bavaria’s economy was recovering, bringing it back above Brazil again. The only hope was that the full conquest of Java could bring enough prestige to salvage the situation

qdpWM.jpg

Even that was not enough and Brazil slipped back out of the Great Powers again after just two years, undoing all of the work that had been done in Colombia. Carlo I did not let it dishearten him however. The brief stint in the top eight had proven that Brazil had what it took, and that it was only the still-lagging industry that held it back. A whole new wave of factory construction timed with the new industrial technology being developed would allow Brazil to secure a more stable foothold on its rightful position.

To be continued…

In case you aren't certain, the only way you can repair ships in Vicky 2 is at a naval base. It isn't like EU 3 where any port will repair your ships.

Love the AAR! Keep it up!

In case you aren't certain, the only way you can repair ships in Vicky 2 is at a naval base. It isn't like EU 3 where any port will repair your ships.

Love the AAR! Keep it up!

Thanks! I did figure it out eventually and I've built a couple of naval bases in my western and eastern territories.

Great update! That's an interesting position, being on the cusp of greatness (literally) like that.

Even a brief spell as GP gains you the extra RP for being top dog, so it's not all bad news. In the long run, as long as you can get your population growing you should easily outpace Bavaria, whose industrial score is likely to be limited by their having only a few states.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be GP again soon enough. Here's a tip: When you lose GP status you lose yous SOI and then have to start again with relations at neutral. But if you have influenced a nation without placing it in your sphere, when you become a GP again that influence will still be there. I.e. if you had kept Colombia (or any other nation) at friendy and 100 influence but not sphered, then when you became a GP again you'd be able to sphere them immediately.

I can also see why conquering Java didn't help you retain your position as a GP. When at war, your military expenditures rise and so does your military score. When you made peace you got some prestige out of it but also lost some of the temporary military score you had during the war, so the net gain was smaller than what you'd anticipate.

Gaining Java should aid you considerably, I've found it always a considerable boost to my economy. You continue to hover around the GP mark, I'm sure you'll conslidate and cement your position there soon. I share your problems with regards to ship repairs in V2, that caught me out a few times when first playing the game!