• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To be honest, I found the hacked images charming - the kind of thing you'd expect to see the prof printing out for class from his mid-80s Apple hand-me-down purchased by the department from some kindergarten computer lab. :)

Regardless, they're certainly lovely compositions.

:subby:
j.

Thither to Tsargrad

The Crimson Hills

Roerich_nevsky.jpg

“He was ruddy as the sun, but all his breast, and down to his feet was the purest white all over, painted with exquisite accuracy. When he was in his prime, before his limbs lost their virility, anyone who cared to look at him closely would surely have likened his head to the sun in its glory, so radiant was it, and his hair to the rays of the sun, while in the rest of his body he would have seen the purest and most translucent crystal.''

- Michael Psellos, Chronographia, describing Constantine IX Monomachos​

I finally opened the book that the professor made us buy. He said he was sick and told us to read up on Theodore ourselves. Afterwards some people were saying he was really going to Naxos with a student, but they didn’t say who. But then, they always say things so I don’t believe any. In any case I got reading. The book is surprisingly critical to Theodore, I find. First the author emphasizes his rebellion against Constantine, then talks at length about what he calls an opportunistic attack on Nikephoros, and then mentions that Theodore adopted Byzantine-style law about Imperial succession to gain favour with the Greeks. He quotes Andronikos Philanthropenos, a general and a historian from Theodore’s time, to say that “with the Greeks the Emperor was a Greek, and with the Russians a Russian”. Even I know that phrase. We usually take it to mean wisdom but Mr.Green calls it cynicism.​
The book also goes quickly through most of Theodore’s reign, it seems, largely limiting his endless campaigns against his Empire’s western neighbours to dates and a general disapproval at the notion of fighting fellow Europeans. I wanted to learn more so I opened up that book of essays by Russian academics and then shut it again. There’s three papers about the 1136 Pskov campaign alone, dealing with the complex build-up, the relationship with Novgorod and the superiority of Byzantine feudal calvary over Norwegian infantry – “The Decline of the Varangian and the Rise of Eastern Chivalry”, that one’s called. There’s also something about importance of riverways in waging campaigns, and the terrible perception of Western Crusaders in the Empire at the time. Too much detail.​
So, essentially, I went back to Green. In 1134, in alliance with Hungary Theodore defeated Venice both in the Ionian and the Black sea, and as soon as the peace was signed allied with Novgorod to beat Norway out of Pskov. Novgorod’s republic then joined the Empire in the broader sense, a sort of permanent military alliance and a promise to recognize the Emperor as the nominal sovereign. After that he fought the Moslems in Italy, setting up an Orthodox Neapolitan kingdom by 1141. In 1140 he finally added Kiev back to Rus by driving out the Germans, whose shaky occupation was unable to withstand a popular uprising backed by Byzantine troops. The weak Qarakhanid state was his next target, and after that an alliance of Poland, the Teutonic Knights, and the rebellious vassal Podlasia, lost by his predecessor Heraklios. In 1146, seeing the Empire’s seeming invincibility, the proud Cherven dynasty in Varna and the Izyaslavich princes in Galich finally acknowledged Theodore as their overlord. Although he never called upon either to provide troops, it boosted his prestige greatly. He must have felt like nothing could go wrong at that point.​

ConquestsofFedor.jpg

The next war is what Green focuses on, and the essay book has way too many to even start reading through them all. Interestingly, Green begins his “Great Seljuk War” chapter by stating that in his opinion Russia’s relentless wars against the Turks in the 19th century were directly influenced by the accounts of Theodore and his successors’ campaigns; in fact, the historical undertones, he claims, let the Russian Emperors pursue wars they’d have never been able to get away with otherwise. I should bring this up with Demetre when we go for lunch. He invited me and I agreed again. I wonder why I keep doing that.​
So in 1148, after a long period of solidification and small expansion, the Empire declared war on the strongest of their neighbours – the Seljuks. By all accounts, the Seljuks were caught unawares due to internal troubles, else they’d not have done as badly as they did. They lost mainland Greece to Theodore’s Constantinople-based army in less than a year, and the Aegean islands by the beginning of the next. Vsevolod of Crimea and Andronikos Philanthropenos, the Megas Strategos, occupied the maritime provinces in northern Anatolia one by one, while Yaropolk of Rostov and Ingvar of Tmutarakan pushed slowly and often bloodily, with the help of local Georgian and Armenian Christians, through the Caucasus. From Novgorod, Smolensk and Pereyaslavl, Michael, the other son and the heir, lead a large army to the south to support the Crimean and Tmutarakan troops. The Seljuks finally managed to muster their realm only in the middle of 1149, and a lot of their force was spent attacking Cappadocia and Syria, all the while the local Beys and Emirs were thrown out of the Caucasus. Abolhassan, the Seljuk Sultan, finally managed to organize a single large army and marched towards the Caucasus; another army, much larger and summoned from every corner of the Seljuks’ Persian and Kwarazmian possessions, was to join him as soon as they could.​
By summer of 1150 it became clear that Armenia would be the place of final battle of this war. All functional Imperial and Seljuk forces headed towards the same general area. Neither side was willing to engage and spent most of the summer maneuvering to win supply base, local support, a better position, and most importantly, time for reinforcements to arrive. As September rolled on, it became clear that the armies would soon run out of food and the harvest may well be lost if not gathered. Abolhassan decided to engage Vsevolod and Ingvar outside a small town in Eastern Ani. His defeat was swift, and he fled to Dwin, where the Persians were facing off against Michael’s Russian forces. The battle that followed is legendary; the Russians have written a dozen laments about the dead at Dwin; the Greeks a hundred books on strategy based on what happened there. The Empire lost fully a fifth of their total fighting force, a crown prince, and Novgorod’s generous contribution to the battlefield, something they could never count on since. Both the Emperor and his surviving son were heavily wounded.​

Dwin1150.jpg

The Empire lost a chance at total victory, and had to give up Syria and Cappadocia in return for Thessaly, Macedonia, Antaliya and the Caucasus. What the Empire gained instead was glory. For the first time in history, every orthodox nation in Europe stood united under one banner – Rus, Greek, Bulgar, Serb, Albanian, Syrian, Armenian, Georgian, Alan, Cuman and Goth, and did extremely well. The Turk Sultan, by contrast, lost the respect of his men on that battlefield, and subsequently his crown and his life. His cousin, the Khorasani Demir, became Sultan, and shifted the centre of Seljuk power east into Persia. Perhaps this was the reason why the Empire and the Crusaders could pursue such a successful policy in the Levant thereafter; perhaps also, because of Persia’s strengthening, the Seljuks were able to stop the Mongol invasion when it came.​

This was Theodore the Great’s last war. He died two years later of the complications arising from the wounds sustained at Dwin. His son Vsevolod was chosen Emperor over the other prominent vassals - Andrew of Smolenk (another son), Boris Cherven of Varna, Ingvar Knytling of Tmutarakan and Theodoros Elegemites, who in the beginning of the war was a mercenary general from Cyprus and Lord of most of Caria and Lycia by the end of it.​

FedorDie.jpg

Although he wasn’t his father’s favourite son, Vsevolod was to prove a worthy successor, using the strength and prestige accumulated by the Empire under Theodore to influence affairs around Europe as he saw fit.​

I'm busy with schoolwork; this update will be short. I will be adding a guide to the AAR after this to wrap up the first part. In lieu of update of course.

Fnuco - If by generations you mean father to son, 2 is a good guess.

bowl of soup - yes, the mongols do come and complicate things

Estonianzulu - thank you. Yes, it got silly towards the end. By 1300 there are more Rurikoviches than you can shake a balalaika at, but thankfully the Mongols help get rid of some of them.

Llywelyn - Heh, well. He discovered inkjet printers now. But there's less pictures. They take a lot of time to produce.

Drozh - the Turks are surprisingly resilient tbh. I had to work real hard for every victory.

The Great Duck - thank you very much!

Theodore earned his 'Great' nickname. Wow - truly great empire. And with that battle plan you managed me to imagine this clash.

Great update :)

Quite an impressive feat Theodore accomplished- and I like your illusion to the future in the beginning- a war like that would definitely give Credence to later Czar's desires to conquer the Turks. Great stuff.

i was going to suggest including the dates on the next map, but i see you preëmptively incorporated my suggestion.
Stop reading my mind!
:mad:
And get back to writing the AAR when you have the opportunity and inclination.
:D

Nice maps, especially the battle ones; they were very detailed. :) The Russo-Byzantine Empire is certainly a powehouse but such great size has got to be unwieldy. I predict a split sometime in the future, probably to the detriment of Byzantium.

thrashing mad: glad you liked the battle plan. it was a very faithful attempt to recreate what happened in that battle window.

JimboIX: there'll be an alternative view voiced somewhat soon on the relationship between the past and the future sometime soon. And you'll also learn all about what Czar means in the context of the Monomach Empire.

Tskb18: it won't be a big break; probably I'll even keep on schedule.

VILenin: Unwieldly does not even begin to describe it. Most areas in the Empire I just ignore, there are regional dynasties I don't track at all, and minor rebellions I don't mention. It's huge. I will pare it down to size sometime.

Thither to Tsargrad

A Larger Perspective

Naxos was sunny despite the lateness of the season, and the girl – well, you know, Greek girls. With enough beer, more than good enough. I was back to the classroom and half the class was missing. We’ve been covering the events concerning solely the Empire of the Monomachs for a few weeks, but of course nothing exists in a vacuum. I gave them the map that appears in most textbooks about the period – Europe after Theodore Monomach trampled all over it, and a guide to all the major countries of the time. Then I reminded them that what people often overlook about the great Empires of the day is that none of them were nearly as monolithic and peaceful as the maps suggest. At any given point as much as 5% of the vassals may be in rebellion against their liege lord. France, Germany, the Seljuks, the Byzantines of course, and even England all suffered from minor revolts. Theodore, for example, staged about 10 or 11 expeditions to quell rebellion during his reign, from Kaliopolis to Gorodez Mersky. The Seljuks, after Demir’s usurpation were plagued by a spate of revolts of distant Armenian and Greek vassals, something the Seljuks did nothing about as Demir in Persia fought the supporters of Abolhassan’s heir Shahrokh, a battle he ultimately lost.​

1150.jpg

Britain – England have been forcing the Scots back slowly over the centuries, and have almost succeeded. However, as we all know history is fickle and the Scots would eventually choose a talented noble of French descent to exploit England’s moment of weakness to restore the country. England was also successful in crusading against the moors in Spain; they would hold on to some the Spanish territory for centuries afterwards. Ireland’s early unification is doubtless the reason for its success in latter years of history; by 1150 only the proud King of Leinster and Man resisted unification. Wales was still independent and ruled by the ap Seisylls

Spain – Seville had united the Andalucian emirates and beaten the Christian Spaniards; and it was still on its way to still greater conquests. France, Germany and England all crusaded there with some success but the tide was definitintely against them. France itself had its southern reaches occupied by Mulsim powers on several occasions and was only with great effort able to throw them back.

France – Having done reasonably well, the French stood as the great bastion of Europe against Muslim expansion, and the Popes, although exiled from Rome to Salzburg by the heretical Roman republic, often called for support of the French king’s effort against Sevillians and the African kingdoms of Zenata, Hammadid and Murrabtids; however, the control over Brittany has slipped and Seville occupied it in the 1130s.

Germany - The great civil wars that wracked the Holy Roman Empire were finally over and only Karnten and Lorraine remained as the last independent duchies; the Franken family regained the Imperial throne, but their Forez cousins still held out bits of territory in Switzerland, Italy and Provence, calling it the Kingdom of Burgundy. The Swabians retained bits of Egypt from their crusading days but it was clear the Emperor would probably not support them if they came to war with the Fatimids.

Africa – The target of the sole truly successful Catholic crusade of the 12 century, Tunis was partitioned between Hungarian and Polish nobles, with a few Italians here and there; they would later unify under the Berscenyi dynasty to form the Kingdom of Carthage. French possessions were in a permanently precarious position, but the Catholics were making inroads into controlling the region. Muslim Cyrenaica was strong and still controlling parts of Sicily.

Italy - The country was in a state of terrible war. Genoa was eliminated by the Seljuks, furious at the maritime republic’s support of the Crusaders. Venice was reduced by Byzantine efforts to solely the City itself; Naples was a newly-formed state, with a Christian Sanseverino dynasty, and its queen and her sons loyal to Byzantium. Zenata and Cyrenaica were still in possession of some parts of the country. A Republic was proclaimed in Rome, and, having adopted a variation of a Gnostic heresy as state religion have kicked out the Pope. Pisa was at the height of its power, but that wouldn’t last. The Germans, Bohemians and Burgundians all claimed the title of the King of Italy. The country would see no peace for most of history, as well all know. Italians….oh well.

Scandinavia - Norway was doubtlessly the stronger kingdom of the two survivors of the Mulsim invasions of the 1120s and 1140s. Sweden lost its influence in the eastern Baltic as the newly resurgent Baltic pagans occupied catholic territory. Denmark’s ill-advised crusades against Cyrenaica and Seville were accompanied by the Danes’ terrible behaviour and earned the small country undying enmity of the Muslim powers. They were raided by sea for years, and finally the Kingdom was utterly vanquished, split between small sheikdoms and later united by the Emir of Sjaelland, while some territory was recovered by Sweden. The Danish population fled everywhere – Russia, Sweden, Norway, England – but many also to distant Iceland and also further afield. This fall of Denmark is widely considered to be the reason why the Scandinavians were able to achieve such success in American colonization despite their limited technology.

The mess in Denmark and Italy was to prove too tempting for the expansionist Monomachs to ignore; their incessant meddling over the next two generation would completely shift the historical trends that were developing and re-draw the map of Europe – for good, or more likely for ill.​

1150Religion.jpg

On the religious front, this was the great age of heresy. Bogomils established themselves all over Bulgaria and under Emperor Vsevolod’s inexplicable protection they prospered for a full generation. Rome and Italy were full of Gnostics, while Norway was gripped by a national heresy that combined extensive elements of an apocalyptic cult, pre-Christian Norse worship, and a monophysite treatment of Christ. Islam struggled against Orthodoxy in Anatolia and against Catholicism in Spain; Italy was a patchwork battleground of religions just like it was of nations. The Byzantines enjoyed their status as the overlord of all Orthodox lands except distant Nubia, and exploited it heavily in their expansionist policies.​

Technologically, the Catholics were falling behind, but of course not to the ridiculous extent that current Russian propaganda would have one believe. However, contact with Greece and the Middle East put even Pereyaslavl and Tmutarakan far ahead of places like Paris or London as technolgy and experts bearing it spread under the Monomach-enforced unity of the Orthodox. The Empire's complex and equivocal but arguably friendly relations with Poland and Hungary allowed the spread of technology westwards; while the contact between Andalus and Western powers like England, France and Germany was bitterly hostile. As a result it could be said that by 1150 Hungary was more advanced than Germany in warfare and economics, which probably contributed to their sucesses against the Western Empire towards the end of Vsevolod's reign.​

The Byzantines soon realised that having satellite states was a relatively easy way of controlling unruly or distant territories - while removing distinguished and ambitious local dynasties - like the Sanseverinos, Chervens, Lazarevich, Trpmirovich, Bagrationi and such - from the endless game of intrigue and politics that the Russo-Greek Byzantine nobility played with the diadem in mind as the end goal. The success of the policy is telling - of all the states that were created during the reigns of Theodore, Vsevolod II and his sons, none ever went to war with the Empire. While most of these eventually disappeared off the map, they remained loyal and useful allies to the Byzantines. The rulers of these countries were given the title of Kaisar - corrupted to Czar by the Slavs; the title was kept by kings of Bulgaria, Russia, Croatia and such through the centuries, no doubt with the idea that one of them may eventually again become the kind of Emperor that Theodore was. Well, we all know what happened when one of them did...​

Last edited:
This, unlike promised, was not a who's who. I decided to instead to an overview of Europe. I'll maybe update with the full dynastic lists sometime later, in another update. But I'll be doing two more of these, at the end of the two remaining megachapters.

Also - I have a dramatic drop in replies, it seems.

182121.jpg

That makes me a sad panda.​

Last edited:
Well Byzantino-Russian Empire seems the only stable power to keep those amazing muslim naval invasions at bay :D But Seljuks also look strong. Anyway I think that with such might, you can easly crush any mongol invasion.
Interesting Europe - and Poland`s borders looks almost like modern ones :)

And be patient about comments - with time there will be more of them :)

Do we know what happened? Oh the subtle cliffhangers. I like the overview, particularly your implications about how they modified the course of history- Danes in America. Byzantium is clearly the greatest power in Europe of course, and I suspect, given their strong foundation, they always will be- and don't be a sad panda, please, they're so bellicose- if very cute.

Be not afraid, still with you!

Anyway great to see what's becoming of the rest of the (known) world. Speaking of the known world... Danes in America? Perhaps not entirely out of the question but you do seem to know a lot more than us. Curiosity is taking over. So don't be afraid. I'll keep following!

One of the things I like is the future references or events you allude to within the narrative. Gives it a more authentic feel as being part of a history. Cliffhangers, though, are an evil creation. Shame on you for using them! :p

Wow...

And I thought my maps were detailed... :D

Looks like I have to step it up a notch.

thrashing mad - Poland's borders: that's because I made the eastern borders look like the modern ones. Cause I'm a big bad Imperialist that way. But because I'm a big bad Imperialist I did survive the Mongols. Still, the next reign is the last one where I'm treating Poland badly, I promise.

JimboIX, bowl of soup - Danes in America - well, that's entirely a fictional idea of mine, but I will give Iceland a much higher population, knowledge of new provinces, and an increased colonist generation rate.

JimboIX- in the immortal words of Bambi from that episode of Drawn Together: "But I'm so sad and so cute!"

VILenin -

Gives it a more authentic feel as being part of a history.

That was the intention. We're looking back an awful long time away even from within the narrative.

Cliffhangers, though, are an evil creation.

And that particular one about the Tsar who wanted to be Theodore is the kind of cliffhanger you won't see resolved until at least the Vicky campaign. Talk about evil!

CrackdToothGrin - oh you, you're so ON! My maps will make your maps cry, just you see.

But honestly, I do like your maps. Like how you give the sites of individual battles and all. If my narrative pace was slower I'd do that too, very often.

Last edited:
That's more than half a millenium of suspense...very evil. Well, I guess that means we're all committed though.

Out of curiousity, how far ahead have you played? Are you done with all the games or is it just plans you have for Vicky? (I apologize in advance if you already said this before)

I'm in the process of converting to EU II actually but I've played several GCs on every title except EU III so I more or less know what I'm doing.

In CK I played until 1600 or so with no-time-limit to see what my dynasty works out to be like.

So if I make an allusion to the future I will have to work hard to make it come true.

RGB said:
So if I make an allusion to the future I will have to work hard to make it come true.

Always the toughest part, especially if you forget a previous allusion or reference. Its interesting to see how the rest of the world has evolved. And I'm curious to watch you handle the hordes on the horizon there. The Seljuks can be nasty if you aren't careful.