• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Aye, stnylan, he seems to have little idea where the next moment will take him. Although I suspect he knows how he would like the sleeping arranged.

Vann

Vann the Red said:
Aye, stnylan, he seems to have little idea where the next moment will take him. Although I suspect he knows how he would like the sleeping arranged.

Vann
WOULD wish, and DOES wish, are different things! I suspect the Colonel is unsure enough and wary enough to be a little scared by that prospect -- perhaps too scared (or wise) (or unwise!) to do anything!

Not a happy situation, for an otherwise sure-of-himself fellow.

Rensslaer

I have faith in Therev! :D This is too involved to give up on now!

Hey... I just saw an ad on the History Channel for "Churchill's underground city" or something like that... "Lost.. (something)" was the title.

Is this place where the story started for real???!!!

Very cool, if so. You did a lot of research for this.

Rensslaer

Sorry about the lack of updates dear readAARs. I have recently purchased GalCiv2 and like all my passions - it has absorbed what free time I have. I have certainly not finished my AAR as I have an interesting plotline to flesh out.

So please be patient. GalCiv (like all the other games I have) is no match for my love of HoI (in all its forms).

My extra workload actually has finished and I am back on a more even keel. (I have handed in my resignation and am now coasting till November when I take up my new job!) So be prepared for more exciting developments in the life of David Ogilvy.

My only regret is the title of my opus. I would change it if that were possible. Is it possible? How or who would I talk to about it?

BTW Rensslaer, thanks for having faith in me!

Mmm, GalCiv did that to me too when I first bought it. Good game. Anyway, nice to know your back.

As for title changes I believe these days that may be something I can do. Why don't you send me a PM?

Julia led David over to the royal carriages. These were attached to a very well maintained steam engine. By its hisses and chuffs David could tell it was warmed up and ready to go.

At the foot of some steps stood a soldier in civies. 'You might take the soldier out of the uniform but you couldn’t mistake a professional soldier for anything else', thought David. There was a presence about this man. He was as tall as David and maybe a little heavier. He was also a little younger David guessed. He seemed a rather grim, and made no attempt to hide his displeasure.

“Colonel Ogilvy, may I introduce you to Captain Hart” Julia made the introductions. The soldier lifted his hand to shake David’s. His grip was strong and confident.

“Colonel” grunted Captain Hart.

“Captain” nodded David.

“Now gentlemen, there’s no need to be so formal,” interjected Julia, “Lets keep this on a first name basis shall we?” She smiled sweetly, but there was no doubt that her suggestion carried the weight of an order.

Captain Hart swallowed and looked David steadily in the eye ”I’m Josh to my friends, and a terror to my enemies” .

David was a little non-plussed. Was that a warning? These English were sometimes very hard to read. “Call me David” he replied, “I’m David to my friends and my enemies are dead” He winced internally, ‘Not the best response he could have made but….’

Josh barked out a laugh, and the mood was lifted. “Let me see you two settled” he said. He turned his back and climbed the stairs. He seemed a rather serious person with no patience for small talk. They climbed aboard and made their way down a corridor punctuated by doors leading into sleeping compartments. “You are in a cabin with me, David. We will be next to Her majesty’s apartment. And Ma’am, her majesty has asked if you could bunk with her.”

‘So much for the sleeping arrangements’ thought David as he sighed.

Julia noticed and smiled. “Thankyou Captain. When will breakfast be served?”

“As soon as we are underway,” Josh checked his watch, “And that ought to be in about 10 or so minutes. We were just waiting on you Ma’am.”

“Your CO explained your duties to you Captain?” Julia queried.

Josh grimaced, “He was very thorough Ma’am.”

“And he explained that you are to follow my orders?”

“Yes Ma’am.” Josh seemed rather sullen.

“Well Captain, I hope it will be a pleasant duty compared to some you have had recently. I gather you were recalled from the France.” Josh nodded “I want you to know that your skills are valued by your country and we believe that you can best serve your country guarding the Princess of Wales.”

“Yes Ma’am” David could tell that Josh was not buying it. And David thought it a little over the top as well. Afterall what sort of threat was there? He remembered when Ike had relieved him of front line duties to be attached to his staff. It rankled.

David entered the sleeper Josh indicated and placed his duffle bag on the top bunk. Josh entered the room and sat on the bottom bunk. David turned and sat next to him. Josh got out a pack of cigarettes. “Smoke?” he asked. David declined and Josh with practiced ease tapped a cigarette into his mouth and lit up.

“Have you seen any action?” Josh asked.

“Yeah” replied David. “I was here for the invasion.”

“Yeah?” David could hear a more positive tone in Josh’s voice. “Where were you?”

David gave him a short, abridged answer. As they discussed the battle they were able to figure out where they had been in relation to one another. Josh could not keep the bitter disappointment from his voice as he described watching the ‘Yanks’ sail out of Cherbourg harbour.

“I was one of the last to leave.” David said. “And I can tell you men were crying openly as the cutters ferried us out to the waiting ships.”

“Really?” Josh said.

Many of our finest died on those beaches” David grumbled, “And to have bloody politicians decide that their sacrifice was for nothing has broken the hearts of many of my fellow officers and non-coms.”

“Politicians!” Josh exploded. “Stalin’s shit has a more noble soul! Bloody politicians!”

David smiled. He reached into his pocket and removed a silver hip flask. He screwed off the lid. “Drink?” he offered.

Josh smiled. “Don’t mind if I do,” he replied as he reached for the flask.

Seems like those two get on fairly well.

Nice scene. I loved the little conversational dance between Josh and David while the men try to decide how worthy the other is of respect.

Shame about the sleeping arrangements.

Oh, and welcome back, therev! I've missed this one.

Vann

Title changed as per request. therev, it might be an idea if you make a note of the change in your signature so people can still find it! ;)

Interesting update. :)

Interesting AAR!

That's an interesting portrayal of Dewey - and a very interesting look at 'young Liz'!

If our hero can make it back to America with the folder full of smoking guns (now there's an image :D ) AND find someone to check and print them - then Dewey's fate would be sealed.

Who is running against Dewey? That could be very important.

therev: ...“I’m David to my friends and my enemies are dead”...

excellent ! ! :D

therev: ...After all what sort of threat was there? He remembered when Ike had relieved him of front line duties to be attached to his staff. It rankled.

perhaps we will see some of that threat? ? ;)

no doubt that "It rankled." :)

therev: ...“Drink?” he offered..Josh smiled. “Don’t mind if I do,”...

kindred spirits, eh? ? :D

most excellent update! ! :cool:

i like the new AAR name, but it did floor me that i could not find the 'old' thread! ! :eek: FWIW, i only found this because "therev" was listed as authAAR and i thought you had started a new AAR...

Breakfast was a little different from what David was used to. While his family had servants, those in Royal service seemed as if born to meet the needs of those they served. It was if they were just waiting for the twitch of an eyebrow, a sigh or the dab of a napkin, and there they were with whatever it was you needed – even if you hadn’t realised you needed it.

The meal was – as far as such a thing could be – a low key affair. Present were David and Julia, Liz and Josh. David was taken aback to see that Liz already knew Josh, and could detect an icy tension in the regard they had for one another. This surprised David, he thought of Josh as a soldier who would willingly die for his sovereign – yet the looks they were giving each other would not have been out of place between Churchill and Stalin.

Half of Liz’s face was bandaged and her voice was slurred, but the spark in her visible eye led David to the conclusion that she would be a formidable monarch.

“David” she asked, “could you inform your batman, that he can eat with the other noncoms in the forward carriage.”

David looked at Josh, who was bristling and about to say something in response, when Julia laughed. “Now, now Liz. No need to stand on formalities, is there! I am sure Lord Lewellyn has dined here with your father in the past.”

With a start, David realised that Julia was referring to Josh - a Lord of the Realm. Julia continued, “Now I can’t say that I know why you are so at each others throats, but I do know that this is something that has gone on long enough. Can I urge you both for the sake of the Kingdom and David and my digestion, that you resolve your conflict and so allow David and I to enjoy our breakfast.”

“You stole my favourite teddy!” growled Liz.

“You pulled my pants down in front of my parents!” retorted Josh. “And I did not steal your teddy!” he added.

David mentally scratched his head. They were reliving this as if it were yesterday. He opened his mouth to comment, but caught Julia’s shake of the head, and so closed it and settled back for the show.

The argument went back a forth. It seemed that they had been at war since they were infants. A battle of wits had been waged as they had sought to outdo one another over perceived insults. By the time breakfast was over, both Liz and Josh had come to a resolution of sorts. They would be civil to each other and make the most of a difficult situation.

Later, as the train broke free of London and headed north, David caught up with Julia on her own.

“Julia, who is matchmaking here?” She looked the picture of innocence. “Now come on, you’ve accused Mountbatten of trying to be the force behind the throne. Tell me the truth, have you had anything to do with Josh’s selection?”

“I might have been consulted, but this goes way beyond me!” she confided.

“I don’t think it’s fair” David grumbled, “You pull a serving officer of what must have been an important mission, to have him babysit a Princess with whom he has a rocky relationship! I can understand why he is upset.”

“Who said this is a babysitting tour?” countered Julia. “Trust me, this is no, how do you Americans say it? Cakerun?”

therev said:
“You pulled my pants down in front of my parents!” retorted Josh.
:rofl: :rofl: ahh funny. sounds like they have a long history..

Nothing like having a childhood history to fuel a latter-day enmity - or even personal dislike if enmity is too strong a word (which I think might be the case here).

I wonder what dangers Julia knows of that she has not spoken? Military threats? Possibly, I would imagine, but perhaps something ultimately more insidious.

I wonder, they are going to America, with a unreliable Dewey. Would that not be the danger? Oh, and a second thought - is it safe for David to return. Given how things are going back home might he not just be clapped into jail? Can't wait to see what happens.