• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(15747)

Sergeant
Mar 23, 2003
Visit site
Normal/Normal. EU 1.10 IGC 2.3. Finland. Enhanced IGC AI

IGC Options
-Free Ireland
-Free Bretagne
-Free Norway
-T.O. Ingermanland
-Moldavian Bujak
-Russian Unrest
-Persian Unrest
-Turkish Unrest
-Uzbek Unrest
-Polish Unrest
-CoT in Anglia

IGC Fantasy Options
-Burgundy the Mighty
-Unified Prussia
-Balkanization
-Free Finland

Well, this is my first AAR so I wanted to try a nation noone else has. I am still trying to work out a style, so any tips at all would be greatly appreciated and taken.

Here below is a nice little chapter to start this AAR off.

Chapter 1: Throwing off the Yoke

Finland begins as a vassal of the Swedish Kingdom. We are binded in a military alliance with them, and half our income is tunneled to their coffers. We are, in essence, slaves of Sweden.

This, of course, cannot be tolerated and in early February King Jackko orders the raising of troops in Savolaks, Osterbotten, and Finland Province. Tax collectors are also promoted in several provinces.

Around the beginning of May, a second diplomat was hired. We now have 2, 1 to break the alliance, and another to break the vassalage. The King is eager to start the war at this juncture, but is convinced (rightfully so) that waiting a few more months might be a better idea.

As August comes, the time is right. Stationed in Osterbotten is a 12,000 man army, commanded by Colonel Alkmaar. His mission is to keep the Swedes out of Northern Finland and maybe to counterattack into Lappland. In Nyland is a 21k battalion under the leadership of Colonel Svantesson. It is hoped he can repulse any invasions by sea, or attackers that break through Osterbotten.

On the 5th, Sweden receives our declaration of war- and independence.

Wanting as little lives lost as possible, we take a loan of 200 ducats and offer 250 ducats for peace. They coldly refuse.

1 month later, the first Swedish wave still hasn’t arrived. It is suspected that heavy attrition is taking a toll, even in their own country. So we ask once again for peace on the same conditions as before. This time they accept!!

Massive celebrations are held across Finland at the news. People cheer in the streets, flooding out from their houses even in the deep cold of winter. Finland is free atlast.

Finland’s Army in Early 1492
FIEU.PNG

Nice. All these AARs are good for the forum!

Excellent start, and as Morpheus said the more AAR's the better really :)

Your position is an interesting one... i would perhaps consider allying with a regional power like Sweden or Russia and perhaps becoming a nation of opportunity... getting territory here and there, perhaps founding a colonial empire, or dominating trade in the region.

Don't think you have to conquer every bit of land around you to make a good idea. Just have fun! :)

Eh, it's Morpheus line!!! :mad: :D

Seriously, as Languish said, you have many possibilities. What are the countries who have CB against you? Russia?

It could be better to be ally of the usual duo Denmark-Russia and bite Sweden after. Or with Sweden/Pskov, try to annex Russia (if it is not a major). It would solve a major problem.

Originally posted by Grahamule
CONQUER EVERYTHING!

THAT'S MY LINE!!

Last edited:
good, but i have a suggestion:
(btw, im a lot like morpheus in our world-conquering dreams, but the thing is im gonna kill him in a few years so it doesnt matter)

Instead of the usual northern alliance, I would've taken over a large bit of sweden instead of giving them money, so you could then, later, conquer the rest. I would personally ally with a power like Poland (since youll never be able to fully conquer them lol) so you can annex each of the northern powers without having an alliance with them. I've seen that Poland gets some good armies and has enough room to help you with Denmark and Russia, plus I dont think they have an ally-ment (an alliance) in 1492.

Good start but a few criticims game play wise.

You should have just broken vassilage and if (Relations were fairly good) you could have used that 200 Ducrat loan to pay off your former lord to make your alliance much stronger.

I am interested to see how you go from here.

cow pie, ive never played as a vassal before, so i didnt know you could just break the vassalage :eek:

but i learned i might have to re-ally with Sweden if i want too stay alive

grahamule, there was a 35k army coming to annhilate my 12k one. I had no manpower left, and my only other army was 21k. I guessed that i would have enough men left to siege any province.

new chapter up as soon as i can type it up and post it

Breaking vassalage is easy, just go to the diplomacy screen and click "Break Vassalization." It also breaks alliances and RMs though.

*cough*Brittany*cough*

Good start, its been a while since I have read any EU AAR's. This is a good one to come back with.

Chapter 2: New Friends and Old Enemies

The year of 1492 is coming to a close. It was a glorious year for the Finland and all its people, but even the most patriotic Finn knows the new country needs allies.

January of 1493, after several months of close examination we have narrowed the field of potential allies down to 3.
Poland-Lithuania
Denmark (allied to Norway)
Russia (allies to Crimea, Ryazan, Pskov)

While we went into negotiations very confident and sure, it would prove much more difficult then anticipated finding an ally then we thought.

The first stop on our cross-country trip was to Moscow in Russia. He “mysteriously” vanished, and never came back.

Second stop was to Copenhagen in Denmark, and this time to be safe we made two bodyguards go with the diplomat. The response from Denmark was not a very nice one, infact they became infuriated over it. SOMEBODY woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

So that left number 3 on our list, the powerful but ally less Poland-Lithuania. They were one of the few countries that liked us (+50 relations) but to cement the future alliance we arranged a marriage between one of King Jaakko’s sane sons, Anson II, to Poland’s beautiful duchess, Jan.

Between the marriage and alliance proposal the annual state of Finland was taken. Some of the things it showed deeply disturbed the entire echelon of power.

For one, Finland was losing money. Ever since the loan was taken out to pay Sweden, the treasury had reported a steady loss each month. Currently the number was -2.3 ducats monthly, and at that loss it was projected the large year end surplus could not sustain the Finnish economy forever. Feared by the predictions, King Jaakko ordered an immediate raise in funds sent to the treasury. This would be the case for many years to come in Finland.

Another concern was stability. Since the war had ended, there had been rampant corruption and all kinds of crime ran wild. Although this report showed a decrease in the activity (changed from -3 stability to -2), a small brigade of soldiers was organized to deal with any corruption they could.

In May we decided now was a good time to offer that alliance. But to our great disappointment, Poland now HAD an ally. And they came from a land named Spain!

Spain was not exactly on the best of terms with us, but since now we were really desperate and they were our best chance we decided to make up with them. So we sent a friendly letter of welcome.

Isabella & Ferdinand were pleasantly surprised by the letter it seems, and relations between our two countries improved modestly. But at the end of 1493, we realize much more niceties would be needed before Spain could even consider our alliance.

Onto 1494, hopefully a good year for “Suomi!” (the Finns name for Finland)

little screenshot later :D