• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
'To Gibbets, and the Dead", The Kutusov Offensive May 1942

After driving the Axis forces back across the Ukraine in April, STAVKA altered its plans for May.

The North Ukrainian Front was ordered to secure the west bank of the Dniepr from below Bryansk to Cherkasy and then go over to the defensive. At the same time it temporarily lost most of its armour as they were pulled into reserve to re-equip and re-organise for the planned summer offensive. The net effect was the large German armoured force at Hlobyne was able to pull back out of potential encirclement as the Soviets drove their rearguard from the town on 9 May. Attempts to expand the bridgehead at Domantoye southwards to Cherkasy and northwards to Mena all failed. At this stage the offensive in this sector stalled, and the Soviets now held all the east bank of the Dniepr and retained the sizeable bridgehead at Domantoye.

In contrast, the three armies (26, 4 and 9) of the South Ukranian Front

were ordered to push westwards, clear the Germans and Rumanians from the lower reaches of the Dniepr and liberate Odessa. By 15 May, the bulk of west bank of the Dniepr bend had been cleared by 26 and 4 Army

(Soviet infantry clearing the steep west bank of the Dniepr)

and a German counterattack was defeated at Nikopol. Soviet spearheads reached and held Kryvyy Rib at the same time threatening the Axis forces east of Kherson with encirclement.

The threat to these forces was increased when 64 Corps attacked out of the Crimea at Novooleksiyivka. If the Rumanian defence had been breached, then 5-6 Axis divisions would have been encircled. As it was the offensive had to conducted over a narrow spit of land, bounded by salt marshes, where the front had been static for 6 weeks.

Progress was both bloody and painfully slow and the Rumanians weren't forced back to 28 May in a brutal battle that saw almost 13,000 dead from both sides.

(infantry and engineering troops trying to clear Rumanian defences in the Crimea)

The Germans at Melitopol used this delay to conduct a fighting retreat and were able to slip out of encirclement, in part as 9 and 4 Armies only had 1 Tank (and 4 Mechanized) Division between them.

By late May the Axis forces screening Odessa were in full retreat, however, they managed to fend off their attackers constantly just slipping out of encirclement, but falling back steadily so by the end of the month almost all the Dniepr bend had been retaken.

(8 Tank Division in action along the lower Dniepr)

Two battles at the end of the month were to set the scene for major Soviet victories in June. An initial attempt to trap the Germans at Kherson failed on 7 June, however on the same day the German lines at Mykolavijk to the north cracked when 2 Mechanized Corps defeated 27 Panzer.

At this stage the German retreat became a rout, as they faced the prospect of being trapped against the shores of the Black Sea.

At this stage 4 and 9 Armies were ordered to take Odessa and retake southern Bessarabia. 26 Army was to act as a shield preventing any Axis counterattack from the north and if possible to push into central Bessarabia.

Kutusov was the first Soviet offensive that actually achieved its operational goals. The Germans had lost all of the east bank of the Dniepr and the Soviets had a major bridgehead south of Kiev. Along the Black Sea littoral, the Germans had lost both banks and were desperately trying to find a defensive line where they could stem the Soviet offensive.

(destroyed German tank east of Kherson, for the first time in the war the Germans abandoned large numbers of repairable tanks on the battlefield)

Amongst this litany of success was one major disaster. In an attempt to hasten the collapse of the Axis forces in the south, STAVKA had ordered another invasion of Vylkove.

(Parishskaya Kommuna off Sevastopol)

However, the Black Sea fleet was already weakened by a sequence of actions with the Italian navy in April and May.

This time, it was badly beaten and forced to flee back to Sevastopol,

leaving 206 Rifle Division isolated. A German-Rumanian counterattack retook the port on 24 May with almost 9,000 Soviet dead and captured.

Overall the intensity of operations was reflected in the high losses on both sides. Excluding the Rumanian disaster the Soviets lost 45,578 but killed 28,046 Germans and 17,236 Rumanians and Italians. The Soviets lost a futher 8,913 in Rumania. However, 5 German and Rumanian divisions were now struggling to escape from the Kherson pocket before the Soviets consolidated their control over Mykolavijk. The extent that this potential encirclement was to become a real trap would determine if Kutuzov was seen as a major strategic success.

Even though your offensives are getting much more productive, those casualty numbers stay very even. I guess you really need a few pockets, divisions totally eliminated, to shift that balance in your favor.

Tough luck tangoing with the Italian Navy. Clearly, your navy is second-rate (third-rate?) at best. On the bright side, if you keep up your offensives, you won't have to worry about contesting the Black Sea much longer. :)

As always, good pictures. I thought only the SS had those fancy camo uniforms during World War II, but it looks like that was not the case, judging by the engineers.

The Germans are doomed now. It's simply going to be a long (albeit extremely bloody) march to Berlin, and maybe beyond?

Good going so far. It looks like you are behind history in one respect - your largest mobile formations to date are mechanized corps. Any plans for tank armies? With Katukov commanding 1 GTA, and Kravchenko 6 GTA?

What Paradox thinks of command skills aside, Kravchenko & his troops were probably the best of WW2 of any side - they fought and won in terrain where tanks are not even supposed to be!

Even though your offensives are getting much more productive, those casualty numbers stay very even. I guess you really need a few pockets, divisions totally eliminated, to shift that balance in your favor.

Tough luck tangoing with the Italian Navy. Clearly, your navy is second-rate (third-rate?) at best. On the bright side, if you keep up your offensives, you won't have to worry about contesting the Black Sea much longer. :)

As always, good pictures. I thought only the SS had those fancy camo uniforms during World War II, but it looks like that was not the case, judging by the engineers.

Well it takes more than a year to achieve, but finally the first successful Soviet pocket is in the next post ... & the first in the bag is a Panzer division (actually so is the second too ..., but that happens somewhere else)

The naval war is a lot of cat and mouse from now on. I start very slowly modernising and expanding from this point on, but can only risk limited clashes with either the German or Italin fleets. The little bit of seagoing junk I have is too valuable to loose.

Given the extent to which both sides used the other's kit (though I do feel sorry for any German tanker told to use a T-34 - not a comment on the quality of the tank but with it having such a distinctive shape you have to think that they were at risk from every German AT gunner on the front), so its not impossible that those natty uniforms weren't originally issued to the RKKA, but were instead recycled from the original owners.

Vicious fighting in the Ukraine! The Romanians are usually the first in run in my games.

I've got a superb screenshot from the Ukraine in July, where they in effect abandon the front en-masse to scuttle off to halt me in Rumania - I was left looking rather surprised at this 2 province wide hole in the Axis front line.

Damn slippery Germans. Horrid casualties as always!
Ukraine is as much as won, right? ;)
Woo Ukraine is won if i can say :D

Well at end of next post, for the first time I push beyond the 1940 borders, so I get a good grip on the SW Ukraine but make very little progress further north around Kiev.

However, how can I put this - in May 1943 I have to retake all this lot again ... so when the Germans get themselves sorted out the counterblow is pretty nasty.

The Germans are doomed now. It's simply going to be a long (albeit extremely bloody) march to Berlin, and maybe beyond?

as above, the fascist beast is battered but far from slain, the front shifts back a long way eastwards before I really push into the Balkans and E Poland. In game, I've just started July 44 & Soviet armour is tangled up in some vicious battles along the Oder having beaten off what, I hope, is the final German major offensive.

Good going so far. It looks like you are behind history in one respect - your largest mobile formations to date are mechanized corps. Any plans for tank armies? With Katukov commanding 1 GTA, and Kravchenko 6 GTA?

What Paradox thinks of command skills aside, Kravchenko & his troops were probably the best of WW2 of any side - they fought and won in terrain where tanks are not even supposed to be!

The reason why the tanks have been pulled out from the front in the N Ukraine is to reorganise into two tank armies (each of 2 tank and 1 mech corps: 5 TDs and 4 MDs).

I know some people complain the AI mixes stuff up but to be honest so far so have I. There was no point creating a higher than corps structure for the armour as I was having to use them piecemeal in any case. My big summer offensive is the first time I actually have the overall capacity to deploy the armour as a block.

Certainly Kravchenko managed probably the most impressive tank manouvre of the war, but against the badly demoralised Japanese who had fared poorly in 39 against Soviet tanks, never mind against 1945 style T-34s and IS-2s, and Soviet armour doctrine honed by 4 years of warfare.

"I can look. Can't I?" Kutusov June 1942

The Kutosov Offensive entered its final stage with the attempt by the South Ukrainian Front to regain all Soviet territory in the South West Ukraine and to cross the 1940 borders into Rumania.

The opening phase was the drive by 4 Army to seal off the potential pocket at Kherson and of 9 Army to eliminate any trapped German and Rumanian forces. In the meantime 26 Army fended off German counterattacks from the north and sought in turn to push westwards towards Balta.

(8 Tank Division pressing towards Odessa)

4 Army finally sealed off the western bank of the Dniepr at Mykolavijk on 7 June and then had to fend off repeated German attacks to both break in and break out of encirclement.

The arrival of 8 Tank Division by 11 June allowed the Soviets to defeat the last of these attempts

and to trap 2 Panzer at Kherson. On the 19th, elements of 9 Army launched an all out attack on the trapped Germans and the pocket was broken up into smaller and smaller elements.

Finally on 23 June, the Germans surrendered, their morale shattered by the Soviet naval victories that eliminated their last hopes of rescue.

After over a year of fighting, STAVKA had finally achieved one its primary goals: German forces permanently eliminated. One Panzer division was not a full repayment of the losses at Archangelsk but it briefly heralded the collapse of an organised Axis defense in the South West.

(among the gains from Kherson were a battery of German Marder SP Guns, shown here in the Winter 1942 battles as part of 1 Guards Tank Division)

After the fighting along the Lower Dniepr, organised Axis resistance on this sector more or less collapsed.

(this shows the battered state of the Axis formations on this sector)

The remaining divisions fell back trying to find a defensive line and the chance to reorganise.

By the end of the month, 9 Army had retaken Odessa

(Soviet troops celebrate the liberation of Odessa)

and 18 corps had crossed the 1940 Soviet-Rumanian border to join up with the latest Soviet naval invasion of Vylkove. In turn 4 Army was moving back into Bessarabia.

For the first time, the casualty figures reflected the relative dominance of the Red Army on this sector. Soviet dead amounted to 16,361, the Germans lost 11,261 and their allies 13,172. In addition some 13,500 German and Rumanian soldiers had been captured at Kherson.

However, the German lines in the central Ukraine remained much more stable. Although major attacks at Pryluky

and Ichnaya were fended off,

the North Ukrainian Front was not able to expand its bridgeheads over the Dniepr. Here, again, the fighting mostly favoured the RKKA with 9,954 Soviet dead and 11.468 Axis. Critically, Soviet Rifle Divisions had beaten off German armoured attacks with only limited tank support themselves.

Overall in 3 months of fighting, the Soviet forces in the Ukraine had relieved the pressure on Kharkov and Kursk, established a firm bridgehead across the Dniepr to the south of Kiev and regained Odessa. Even if the main offensive was over, Soviet troops were well placed to clear Bessarabia and establish a foothold in Rumania proper. For almost 110,00 Soviet dead, 75,000 Germans and 45,000 of their allies had fallen. The complete destruction of 2 Panzer was a major boost to Soviet morale, for the first time in the war German troops had surrendered en-masse on the battlefield.

However, the relative German strength in what became known as the Kiev Bulge led to Kutusov ending late in June. 4 and 26 Armies were now facing northwards and only able to make slow progress. 9 Army had the potential to enter Rumania proper, the debate was whether this was a chance to knock Rumania out of the war or a trap if the Germans managed a major counterattack from the north. Equally STAVKA's attention now switched back to the Western Strategic Axis. Having weathered the German offensive in June, the Kalinin and Bryansk Fronts were now ready to launch the great Suvorov Offensive with the goals of reaching Minsk and raising the siege of Leningrad.

Going by the update's title quote, yes, you can look at Romania, but you won't be allowed to take it home for a while longer. :)

I'm impressed by your victories, this is definitely on a scale we haven't seen before, fleeting as it might be.

I do wonder: how on earth did you manage to win that naval battle against the Italians?!? They had two battle ships against your single, they might be more advanced than the Parishkaya Kommuna (pretty much anything is more advanced than that floating bucket) and they are bound to have better naval tactics... So how did that happen? Luck of the dice, or something more of your doing?

And when will we see those lovely Tank Armies in action? :)

Given the extent to which both sides used the other's kit (though I do feel sorry for any German tanker told to use a T-34 - not a comment on the quality of the tank but with it having such a distinctive shape you have to think that they were at risk from every German AT gunner on the front), so its not impossible that those natty uniforms weren't originally issued to the RKKA, but were instead recycled from the original owners.

It looks from the picture like 'Leaf-pattern' camouflage.

Rus_Camo_-_soldat_und_leaf_pattern.jpg

Mostly issued to snipers and Razvedki (reconnaissance) units, but also to some motor rifle and assault engineers units. From the situation in the picture, I think it might be the latter.

Ah, sorry for the slight digression. I've been really enjoying this AAR without ever saying so, but I thought I'd add the little I know.

The first encirclement of Axis forces! More to come I'm sure.

I know some people complain the AI mixes stuff up but to be honest so far so have I. There was no point creating a higher than corps structure for the armour as I was having to use them piecemeal in any case. My big summer offensive is the first time I actually have the overall capacity to deploy the armour as a block.

Certainly Kravchenko managed probably the most impressive tank manouvre of the war, but against the badly demoralised Japanese who had fared poorly in 39 against Soviet tanks, never mind against 1945 style T-34s and IS-2s, and Soviet armour doctrine honed by 4 years of warfare.

Well, the Soviets eventaully built 6 tank armies, but they also had a lot of tank and mechanized corps (equivalents to panzer divisions really) distributed to various rifle armies for localized breakthrough and limited penetration missions. So I'm not against mixing units - though I seem to end up segregating the two types of units at the army level myself.

As for Kravchenko and 6th GTA, I was thinking more about their exploits in the SW Ukraine and the Balkans, going through swamps and mountains in those regions. Though Pliev and his cavalry-mechanized corps (along with others) was also very active in that area.

IIRC, it was Kravchenko's tankists (while still in command of a corps) that forded a river for the first time in RKKA history by sealing their tank and driving at full speed.

Rus_Camo_-_soldat_und_leaf_pattern.jpg

Mostly issued to snipers and Razvedki (reconnaissance) units, but also to some motor rifle and assault engineers units. From the situation in the picture, I think it might be the latter.

Ah, sorry for the slight digression. I've been really enjoying this AAR without ever saying so, but I thought I'd add the little I know.

Once again, I learn something new on the Paradox forums. Another reason why I love this place. :) Thanks for explanation!

Loki,

I'm just starting to read this, but you've done magnificent work! The updates are gripping, and the pictures are great too, as well as the maps.

Rensslaer

To Leningrad! Great update. :D

As the next post makes plain, the German AI shares my fixation with that gap between the Kalinin-Rybinsk forces and Leningrad. The damn thing actually reinforces there ...

Going by the update's title quote, yes, you can look at Romania, but you won't be allowed to take it home for a while longer.

the quote is very apt, I do indeed get to look very longingly (its a line from Good Morning Midnight - the rest of the verse is a plea for one final look at the dawn), tip a large toe in the waters, then have to go away, till spring 1943.

The Romanian Question. Puppet or Annex?
Puppet would be unfair, the Germans would lose faster. :p

as above, no one even asks me for the best part of another game year. I've now seen 8 axis allied nations collapse to either me or the UK (by aug 44), 5 went GIE.

I'm impressed by your victories, this is definitely on a scale we haven't seen before, fleeting as it might be.

yes that was the first time that I won the opening battles (which was the usual attrition) and then the Germans fell away, the contrast to the Kalinin battles is very stark where just because I win one battle has no bearing on the next.

I do wonder: how on earth did you manage to win that naval battle against the Italians?!? They had two battle ships against your single, they might be more advanced than the Parishkaya Kommuna (pretty much anything is more advanced than that floating bucket) and they are bound to have better naval tactics... So how did that happen? Luck of the dice, or something more of your doing?

I'm not sure how to interpret the 'you've won' message for naval battles. The Black Sea fleet was an utter mess after that and hides in Sevastopol for quite some time. I don't know if its right or not (maybe they need some critical hit mechanic), but BBs, even antique junk ones, are very hard to sink.

I can't claim any credit, I just stuck 'em there to protect my landings at Vylkove.

And when will we see those lovely Tank Armies in action? :)

About 2-4 posts time, depends a bit on how I work out how to chop up presenting the arctic and ladoga battles.

Well, the Soviets eventaully built 6 tank armies, but they also had a lot of tank and mechanized corps (equivalents to panzer divisions really) distributed to various rifle armies for localized breakthrough and limited penetration missions. So I'm not against mixing units - though I seem to end up segregating the two types of units at the army level myself.

As for Kravchenko and 6th GTA, I was thinking more about their exploits in the SW Ukraine and the Balkans, going through swamps and mountains in those regions. Though Pliev and his cavalry-mechanized corps (along with others) was also very active in that area.

IIRC, it was Kravchenko's tankists (while still in command of a corps) that forded a river for the first time in RKKA history by sealing their tank and driving at full speed.

For which, as with Lord Tim below, I'm really grateful for the input. One of the delights of doing this AAR is the number of people chipping in with knowledge either in the thread or by PM .... My real challenge is to work out how to use it all.

Once again, I learn something new on the Paradox forums. Another reason why I love this place. :) Thanks for explanation!

thanks for this, much appreciated and glad you're enjoying it. On another thread I've just learnt a lot about Roman penal policy, so yep, this is one knowledgeable community.

Try to circle them :O ?
The first encirclement of Axis forces! More to come I'm sure.

I do keep on trying, but the AI is very unwilling to co-operate. Most of my early pockets come with the benefit of terrain, trapping stuff against water is a good ploy.

Loki,

I'm just starting to read this, but you've done magnificent work! The updates are gripping, and the pictures are great too, as well as the maps.

Rensslaer

praise indeed, glad you're enjoying it, going back to the discussion on different styles of AAR on different boards, it feels like the HOI3 ones now demand something more than pure gameplay, its nice to see a block of essentially similar in depth treatments such as Red and White's Uk one and BigBad Bob and the US.

Ok, next post (my) tomorrow, having finally worked out what belongs with what, back to the Tundra and the mission to avenge Archangelsk.

Just a reminder to vote for the AARland awards, link in my sig. Go forth and read, there is just so much enjoyable material, then vote, helps keep the various writers motivated. You too may find out why going to jail in Ancient Rome was not a wise move ;)

Last edited:
"The Lightening Showed a Yellow Beak", The Arctic battles: June 1942

Both sides has suspended major operations in the Arctic by mid-May due to the spring melt making rivers uncrossable and turning the Tundra into an endless pool of water.

(for both sides, any attack meant an improvised river crossing using whatever was available)

At that stage it seemed inevitable that the focus for June would be the success or otherwise of the German attempt to cut the Trans-Siberian Rail using their hard won gains at Grinevo.

However, the newly raised Vologda Front (2 Army at Rybinsk and Vologda, 1 Army stretching from there deep into the Urals) proposed a radical new plan to STAVKA. From the crucial airbase at Vologda the new AN-2 transports now had the range to ferry additional supplies to Leningrad.

(An-2 at Vologda, their range meant that Leningrad could be supplied with additional material than the limited amount it could produce locally)

Not enough to improve the near starvation diet imposed on the city, but enough to allow consideration of offensive action. It was proposed that 27 Army, currently holding the old Finnish fortifications at Sortavala would break out and drive south. If this was timed to coincide with a renewed offensive from the south, it would, at the very least, ease the task of Soviet pilots running the dangerous supply line. The new LAGG-5s offered some protection but the slow transports remained highly vulnerable to the Luftwaffe.

(LA-5s at Vologda)

Even as STAVKA approved the outline and started to make detailed preparations, it was clear that OKH too had radically changed its plans on this sector. First partisans at Archangelsk reported that the bulk of the German units that had taken the city were moving not south, to the main front, but west. By early June it was clear that the Germans were trying to pull back in the Arctic. They had already handed over responsibility for the slow advance on Murmansk and for screening 27 Army at the upper end of Lake Ladoga to their allies. Now they commenced the withdrawal of around 40% of the axis forces (and about 60% of the German units) from the Arctic significantly weakening their forces in the east but strengthening the front facing 1 Army and pressing onto the Kalinin Front. German strength in the Novgorod-Ladoga sector was being built up and it was not clear if this was defensive or a prelude to a major offensive. And if it was for an offensive was the target Moscow or Leningrad?

27 Army proposed to use 3 of its corps (19, 7, 29), with 19 tasked to drive south along the east shore of Lake Ladoga, 7 Corps to attack eastwards at Naistenjarvi to reduce the danger of an axis counterstroke cutting off 19 corps and 29 was held back in reserve but would move south and fill in behind Odintsov's 19th. No German units were left on this sector, leaving 27 Army fairly confident it could make limited gains.

The offensive opened with 19 corp taking Pitkaranta late on 1 June and then beating off a counterattack by 5 June.

(elements of 19 Corps at Pitkaranta)

At this 7 corp attacked the bulk of the Axis forces clustered at Naistenjarvi but was forced to suspend operations by 20 June having suffered (and inflicted) heavy losses.

In the meantime 19 Corps made steady progress beating German reinforcements at Olonec by 19 June and then withstanding a large counterattack, spearheaded by 25 Panzer at Vidlica by 5 July.

Not only had 27 Army made steady gains south, it had also drawn off some of the German forces facing the Kalinin Front.

In the meantime 1 Army continued its attempts to push further north from Vologda and both open up a land route to Leningrad and to trap the Axis forces in the Arctic. Its offensive opened in mid-June and Kharovsk was quickly taken and Valdyevo fell on 3 July,

(Malinovski's Riflemen attacking north of Vologda)

but attacks at Glotika and Kuzminskaya were beaten off as German resistance solidified.

The beneficiary of this pressure by 1 and 27 Army was 2 Army which had also been reinforced by the deployment of 38 corps in the Urals.

(hastily raised and thrown into combat before it was properly mobilised but 38 Corps tipped the Urals campaign in favour of the Red Army)

For the first time, this sector saw a sustained Soviet offensive, allbeit one marked by relatively low intensity combat and manouvre. Taking advantage of the weakening Axis defenses, Zelenaya was regained by 20 June and the cavalry from 6 Cavalry Corps was able to slip into the rear of the German lines.

(Elements of 6 Cavalry Corps)

This pockets were mostly transitory, cleared by the first sustained German pressure but partisans from Archangelsk managed to blow a critical road bridge over the North Dvina just as 123 Infantry was abandoning Timonino.

(blowing the bridge at Timonino - one of the most effective partisan actions in the war)

2 Army ordered a sequence of attacks designed to do little but pin other axis forces in the sector. From 25 June to 5 July, 20 corps attacked at Ust Shonosha and Lesukonskoe making no real gains but preventing the Germans from mounting a relief operation.

Although cut off, 123 Infantry held out for almost 2 weeks before surrendering on 4 July.

In the meantime, despite supply problems caused by the VVS, Axis forces continued to slowly press towards Murmansk. It was clear that, in contrast to Archangelsk, 14 Army was too ill-organised to cope once the Germans were in position to make a determined effort.