• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((I Pretoriani))

In this somber time of reflection, with the resignation of our dear comrade Grimani and the death of our friend Vitali, we must consider the future of our party.

As the true patriotic spirit of this nation, I Pretoriani must go on. And with a nascent rebellion reigniting in our rightfully conquered territory, I can think of no man better to lead the party back to glory and to restore order to Tunisia than the great governor of Carthage, the Praetor himself, Lucius Vico Balbo.

During this current declaration period, I nominate Praetor Balbo to throw his name into the race for party leadership and to bring I Pretoriani back to glory. In this last election the party split in twain, and rather than be torn apart by those who stayed and those who return, I say we let this great man heal the rift between us and take our banner forward into the new age.

- Frederico del Idra

((Private - Privy Council))

Prime Minister: Giacomo Bonaretti

-His Grace Amadeus Cornelius Salvatore Severin dom Contravarius-Parma y d'Alatriste-Enghien, Duca of Provence and Barone of Rubicon, Praetor of Savoy, Minister of War and Senator for Life
Order of Saint Francis de Sales, Second Class

My fellow countrymen,

Today is a glorious day! The country has firmly rejected the revolutionary anarchism of the past and chosen the path of tradition and stability. This marks a new era where our kingdom shall return to the prosperity of years past and sweep away the barbarism of the last twenty years. God bless the people of Sardinia-Piedmont for making such a wise choice.

On a more somber note, let us pray for the health of our king, His Majesty Carlo Alberto. May God preserve him.

((Public-Privy Council))

Prime Minister: Bonaretti

-Conte Bonaretti di Nizza

((Private- I Pretoriani))

Fellow party members! We have suffered a great defeat and we are at our weakest: our founder has retired, his subordinates are ether awaiting execution or is publicly humiliated. But we are not defeatedyet: If we make a coaltion with La Lega and Unità we will be able to regain our position in the chamber of deputies. I will also be running for leadership of the party.

A statement of my positons is in order:

Trade Policy: Free Trade

It is unfortunate that Sardina-Peidmont is far from self-sufficient and our internal market is to small for protectionist policies.

Economic Policy: Laissez-Faire

The healthiest market is a free market, state intervention in it will do nothing but harm.

Religious Policy: Pluralism

Jesus to spread his word, he said nothing about forcing it on others, who are we not to do as the Lord says?

Citizenship Policy: Limited Citizenship

In an ideal world, all men would be worthy of the right to vote. But the Tunisians have yet to become civilized enough to use and respect that right.

War Policy: Jingoism

To our west we have France: far to many of us remember the French. To the east: Austria is determined to deny the Italian people there right to unify under one flag. We need a powerful military to defend our country and rights.

While I am a liberal, I am not a republican, nor a monarchist, liberty can be achieved with or without a monarch. But it will not be achieved by violent revolution, only though civilized means can civilization progress.
Our "beloved" Prime Minister Bonaretti, is famous for likening us, the left to a hydra that only he and his party can fight. But, he is in fact,accidently sharping its teeth, and when it attacks us we will all suffer greatly, both liberty and tradition will fall. Unless the reason with one head that is willing, and let it stop the others. My friends, I believe that we should be, and are, that head. That is the way forward reason and sound argument are the true paths to, liberty and we shall take them! We shall be free! Just as our fathers were!

-Carlo Ponzo

I will be attending the oprea.

-Carlo Ponzo

((Private - I Pretoriani))

I do not often involve myself in political affairs but this crisis that our party is facing currently warrants it. We are supposed to be the party of strength, prosperity, and freedom and yet all that can be seen is weakness and division. I Pretoriani has lost any significant sway it had over legislative affairs largely because of the controversial nature of our former leader. I have no doubt that Signor Grimani was a loyal servant of His Majesty; however, he allowed himself to fall pray to the vultures of the press by publicly supporting the pardon of Signor Leone. The principle he wished to support, that of freedom of speech, is one which is a cornerstone of our party. Indeed, if Signor Leone was merely criticizing the government of Prime Minister Bonaretti, then I do not doubt that all of us would have rallied behind him. The truth, however, is that Signor Leone supported the overthrow of not just Prime Minister Bonaretti's government but of His Majesty as well. This is nothing more than treason against the Sardinian state.

I Pretoriani supports His Majesty, as it always has since its start as a mere faction within Parliament. Any belief to the contrary is false. Signor Grimani was a monarchist but he allowed himself and the party to be dragged down by the perception that he and the leadership of the party were republicans, which as we all should know is entirely false. Yet to those who voted this made a huge difference and thus damaged our party significantly as did the defections of several prominent members due to the misconception surrounding Signor Grimani. What I Pretoriani must do is move past this and restore the image it held under Signor Parassini, whose departure has left a hole that has been difficult to fill. As such, I wish to seek the leadership of I Pretoriani to return it to its rightful place as a strong opposition to I Tradizionalisti within Parliament and a contender for control of the chamber, which fell out of its grasp this last election by a large margin.

~ Ernesto Granelli, Corporazione Presidente of Il Piedmonte Manifattura Corporazione

Don Carlos proposes the following legislation to the Chamber of Deputies:

THE PARLIAMENTARY REORGANIZATION ACT
ACKOWLEDGING that the present leadership in the Chamber of Deputies is dysfunctional and requires organization
DETERMINING that certain standards must be upheld in the Chamber of Deputies
FINDING that the current position of President does not rightly represent the Chamber
CONCLUDING that the following resolutions will terminate further irregularities in the proceedings of this chamber

Resolution I: The position of President of the Chamber of Deputies will no longer be determined by the opposition leader.
Resolution II: The position of President of the Chamber of Deputies will be occupied by any fit member of the Chamber.
a. The position of President of the Chamber of Deputies will be determined by a simple majority of all members of the Chamber.​
b. The President of the Chamber of Deputies will occupy the position for so long as he retains the confidence of the Chamber.​
Resolution II: Should the Chamber deem it necessary to remove the President, a simple vote will trigger a new vote for President.
Resolution III: The President of the Chamber of Deputies will be challenged to retain order and enforce the following regulation in the Chamber:
a. Attacks inflicting personal dignity or calling into question the honor of a Deputy will result in the temporary removal responsible Deputy from that particular session of the Chamber. The President has the power to enforce this term.​
b. Indecent, crude, or licentious remarks will result in the temporary removal of the responsible Deputy from that particular session of the Chamber. The President has the power to enforce this term.​
c. Promoting action or discourse presently against the law of the nation will result (should the President of the Chamber deem it necessary) in a censure.​
Resolution IV: Censures are motions declared by the President of the Chamber that express severe disapproval for an action taken by a Deputy. Furthermore, Censures require a simple majority to confirm the order by the President of the Chamber. Censures last the entirety of the session and shall deny the presence of the Deputy in the Chamber for the aforementioned period.
a. In the event that severe infringement occurs that does not qualify under Resolution III, section c, such as slander of His Majesty or the relevant kin, Resolution IV may be enacted at the discretion of the President of the Chamber.​

Antonio Bagnoli wakes up. He cannot sleep, not since the recent news. The good news is that the Tyrant in Turin is near death. The bad news is that I Tradizionalisti have slaughtered the left in the elections. Just a few years prior there had been serious calls for Revolution, but now Revolution is a dim candle of hope; A candle that might burn out soon.

Bagnoli contemplates a comeback that will see his Radcial ideas be put into motion. 'It just doesn't make sense,' he thinks. Bagnoli paces for hours in the deep hours of night to the early time of morning.

'Nothing make sense!' he yells. Bagnoli pounds his fist onto his mahogany table. He picks up his private messages to fellow revolutionaries, some of which were burnt from a recent fire, and throws them aside. But one catches his eye. He curiously examines it. It's signed anonymous.

" Dear Signore Bagnoli,

Who I am does not matter. All you need to know is that I'm an old friend.

I have carefully observed your actions over the years. You are a very strange man Signore, very strange indeed. What you do and what you say are two completely different monsters. You continuously call out for freedom and threaten with revolution, yet you have nothing committed any deed that has hurt the 'Tyranny'.

You have obviously taken close notice of these recent elections, you always do. I know that you must be inarticulate with despondency. You most likely feel that there is little hope left for Bagnoli's 'The Republic'.

I urge you not to squander your energy on establishing a "government by the people" which is ironically not supported by the people. In challenge you to compromise as the Tradizionlisti have compromised. This is an invitation to come home and leave your lair of cowardice. I will be waiting.

Sincerely,

Anonymous "

Bagnoli stuffs the letter in his pocket and hops into his carriage. He is coming home.

((Table of Contents updated - more features added.))

Honorable deputies of the Chamber,

As I have said many times before, the ability of His Majesty, his ministers, advisors and members of the legislative bodies to act in good will and in accordance with their conscience plays a greatest role in the harmonious adminsration of the state. If these servants of the country would not be able to do so, the public interests, the interests of the Throne and the nation, would be subverted. The stormy years of 1848 had once again demonstrated to us the value of this independence of actions, ability to act without duress or blackmail. To ensure this, I propose the following.

1. I suggest that we repeal the State Correspondence Act, tabled, in the past, only to slight the administration of Count Bonaretti. His Majesty must have the right to receive the consultations from his advisors in private, as it was initially set, when the Crown established its Privy Council - and the Privy Councillors must have the ability to submit their opinions to His Majesty without interference and fear of political pressure.

2. All of us remember the way the Chamber of Deputies was twice bullied into submission by the illegal labor organizations. The deputies, under the threat of criminal actions, were forced to vote against their conscience, forgetting about their duty to uphold laws - and had to repeal one of the acts that has been forced upon it almost immediately after it was passed! Such actions discredit the parliament, turning it into a playground of thugs. Such actions violate the independence of the parliament and its members, they turn criminal actions into an acceptable method of pushing forward your agenda. Therefore I submit the following draft act for the attention of the Chamber.

The Dignity of the Parliament Act

The Chambers of the Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont resolve:

I. That, in accordance with the Albertine Statute ('Provisions Common to Both Chambers' Ch. V, Art. XLIX) qualified deputies or senators of Sardinia are required to " observe laws of the State and to exercise their functions with the sole goal of the inseparable good of the King and of the Fatherland."
II. That as logically follows, the deputies and senators of the Kingdom are to vote in accordance with their conscience, without duress or blackmail of illegal actions.
III. That as logically follows, the bills passed by the Chambers in the future in contrary with the spirit of the Statute, under threat of violence, general strikes, other illegal actions, duress and blackmail of all sorts are to be null and void.
IV. It is to be defined by the judicial institutions, whether the Chambers or their members have acted under duress or blackmail in each separate case.

- Cesare Luigi Amat, Marchese di Soleminis

Last edited:
((bonus citations))

Having fought the Hydra all his life, this man is now at the apex of his power, establishing near-total control in the Chamber of Deputies and seizing the Prime Ministership from himself. He led an embattled government through the years of the revolution and came out little worse for wear... his critics say his survival and good fortune were all luck and circumstance, but for the moment they dare not say so too loudly...

For: Giacomo Bonaretti ((AndreMassena))
Bonus Name: Battling the Hydra
Bonus Amount: +50%
Bonus Duration: Until after the next general election

This man is much more than books and poetry. Let fools in the street hail Bonaretti as their savior. All men of importance know that this man is the true power behind the throne...

For: Сesare Luigi Amat ((Marschalk))
Bonus Name: Mastermind

The King is dying, but Opera is forever - and Carlo Alberto's legacy of opera box politics and prime ministerial appointments above the stage will not likely soon be forgotten. This man is a master opera writer, and as everyone knows, he who controls the theater controls the nation. Opera is power. It started a revolution in Belgium. It may do much more in Sardinia.

For: Claudio Ferrero Gabriele ((99KingHigh))
Bonus Name: Opera Don
Bonus Amount: +100% ((includes politician bonus))
Bonus Duration: Indefinite

While other men have seized the glory for themselves, this man's role in preserving national order at the height of the Springtime of Nations will not be forgotten by the history books. By turning the nation's attention, and that of the ruling party, towards social reform - particularly the overhaul of the national education system, he arguably did as much as anyone to defuse national unrest. Just as important, he made the idea of educational reform an acceptable topic of discussion on both sides of the aisle, and for that we will remember him.

For: Carlo Agostino Uleri ((DensleyBlair))
Bonus Name: Great Educator
Bonus Amount: +100% ((includes politician bonus))

Grimani's short-lived leadership of the Pretorian party was an unadulterated disaster, and these men said as much. However, their pleas for a better leader and a safer path fell on deaf ears. Now that Grimani is gone, their words - once ignored - are now considered wise and carefully heeded in the halls of Pretorian power. Disagree with them? So did Grimani.

For: Ernesto Granelli ((Somberg)), Marco Moretti ((Canadian_95_RTS))
Bonus Name: Foresight

((This is a dynastic bonus, meaning it survives the character and is awarded to all members of the dynasty. Dynastic bonuses are updated, changed, or replaced when members of a dynasty die.))

This dynasty has a history of shedding its blood on distant soil in the name of King and Country.

Dynasty: The Vitali Dynasty ((oxfordroyale))
Bonus Amount: +5%
Special: Future militarists from this dynasty will automatically have "Soldierly" and "Colonial Background" added to their trait pools as extra possible traits.
Notes: ((Current flavor name of this dynasty's bonus is "Colonial Legacy." Dynasties only ever have one bonus at a time; I will update that one bonus at times.))

Last edited:
((All bonuses and penalties, active and inactive, can be found in my list, which I keep regularly updated. We have quite a few running at the moment.))

((Private - I PMC))

Considering you are using the difference in net profits as your baseline, something along the lines of 60% is more applicable. Please keep in mind that we at Societa Hermes put down the capital to build the railroads, and thus it makes more sense if we get a greater share of the difference in profits. 4% seems completely ridiculous when talking about the differential, and I would appreciate if you did not give offers so low in the future.

- Marco Moretti

((Private - Societá Hermes))

I do believe that rate is too high, for there very well will be increases in production and, as a result, net profit, that come from other factors such as improved technology in factories and increased employment in factories which are not fully employed. These are outside of the effect that would be caused by the use of the SHR's railroad lines. As such I believe a lower rate, perhaps 40% of the differential in net profits, would be more reflective of the impact that the railroads would have on the IPMC's factories.

~ Ernesto Granelli, Corporazione Presidente of Il Piedmonte Manifattura Corporazione

I do believe that rate is too high, for there very well will be increases in production and, as a result, net profit, that come from other factors such as improved technology in factories and increased employment in factories which are not fully employed. These are outside of the effect that would be caused by the use of the SHR's railroad lines. As such I believe a lower rate, perhaps 40% of the differential in net profits, would be more reflective of the impact that the railroads would have on the IPMC's factories.

((Private - I PMC))
You yourself wanted the only thing to be taken into account being the differential in profit due to the railroads. By definition, this does not include anything you mentioned.

((Private - I PMC))
You yourself wanted the only thing to be taken into account being the differential in profit due to the railroads. By definition, this does not include anything you mentioned.

As I recall, Signor Moretti, the offer I presented did not specifically mention differential in profit due to railroads, but merely the differential in net profits of those factories which use the rail lines. That is why I have expressed concern that other factors which could increase net profits would affect the fee that the SHR receives and inflate it to a higher value than it ought to be. However, upon further thought, I do believe that it shall not be a concern so long as it is stated in the contract that the fee shall only be based on the differential in net profit due to the railroads and not any other factors. In this case, I do believe that your offer in regards to the fee is fair. Should there be nothing else to discuss, then I believe that I can present this new arrangement to the partners of the IPMC for approval.

*A Bill is presented to the Chamber by Barone Augustus*

Chamber Gag Bill II​

I. This Bill shall go Into Effect Immediately if Passed

II. This Bill shall Aim to Institute a Gag Rule on the Chamber of Deputies, the Senate, and the Privy Council, Prohibiting the Raising, Consideration, Contribution, or Discussion of:
i. Changing the Current System of State Monitored Press ((Press Rights))
ii. Changing the Current Laws in Place for Political Parties ((Political Parties))

III. Any Violation of the Gag Rule Shall be Met with the Following:
i. If a Reform Bill Including Any of the Topics Prohibited by this Bill are Included Into the Legislation, Including the Chamber, Senate, and Privy Council, then that Bill shall be Removed from the Respective Legislation and not Voted Upon.
ii. If a Deputy, Senator, or Privy Council Member Raises and Discusses the Topics Prohibited by this Bill, they Shall be Removed from their Respective Assembly for the Remainder of the Session, Along with Anyone who Contributes to the Discussion.
iii. All Current Debates on the Topics Prohibited by this Bill shall be Tabled Immediately

IV. The Bill shall be in effect till overturned by a 2/3 Majority vote in the Chamber.

((I Pretoriani))

In this somber time of reflection, with the resignation of our dear comrade Grimani and the death of our friend Vitali, we must consider the future of our party.

As the true patriotic spirit of this nation, I Pretoriani must go on. And with a nascent rebellion reigniting in our rightfully conquered territory, I can think of no man better to lead the party back to glory and to restore order to Tunisia than the great governor of Carthage, the Praetor himself, Lucius Vico Balbo.

During this current declaration period, I nominate Praetor Balbo to throw his name into the race for party leadership and to bring I Pretoriani back to glory. In this last election the party split in twain, and rather than be torn apart by those who stayed and those who return, I say we let this great man heal the rift between us and take our banner forward into the new age.

- Frederico del Idra
((I Pretoriani))

I am honored that there are those who would entrust me with the reigns to I Pretoriani, a party whose namesake should be properly honored, not as a den for firebrands and revolutionaries, but as a party of honorable men who seek the glorification of their nation and their people, to be passed along the annals of history with pride. As may be known, I am not standard politician, and I have been aloof from the political channels that some other candidates frequent, so to campaign like others before me, I shall not do, beyond presenting my views. However, should I be selected to represent this party, I will not shun this given task, and I would accept it. This decision I humbly give to the members of I Pretoriani.

((Platform:

Trade Policy: Free Trade

Economic Policy: Laissez-Faire

Religious Policy: Moralism

Citizenship Policy: Limited Citizenship

War Policy: Jingoism
))

From the Office of the Governor-General of Carthage:

As representative of His Majesty and His Majesty's Government in these Lands of Carthage, I feel that I must swiftly and resolutely respond to abominable killing of Major General Marco Bernardo Vitali, done at the hands of a native Carthaginian traitor whose name deserves to be uttered and should be lost to the sands of time. This blatant attack on the legitimacy of His Majesty's maintenance of these lands, that He so graciously took under his wing to bring glory and civilization back to Carthage, shall not be tolerated. The organization responsible for the planning and subsequent execution of this and other attacks levied upon the brave colonists and servicemen who inhabit these lands are nothing more than a band of thieves, who take up the banner of rebellion as a cloak to somehow provide nobility to their actions, but it is no bother to peer through this guise and smell the stench of bandits.

To all proper servants to the Crown, be you from the Kingdom proper or a loyal Carthaginian native, be safe in knowing that this menace will be rooted out and disposed of like common litter, and soon they will be a distant memory. To the ilk who act in the name of this criminal organization, know that your days are few and shall end with great anguish should you follow this dastardly path of banditry and aggression. To assist in this endeavour, I request His Majesty's armed forces assist in securing the safety of Carthage and its proper inhabitants and to assist in the pacification of those turncoats that broke from their service to the Crown and instead chose a life of evil. With cooperation from loyal locals and the armed forces, this shall be but another step towards the enrichment of Carthage.