• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This will undoubtedly be one of the greatest narratives here.

You better keep it at this level!!! Or else.. :p

Demand more option is chosen! Oh and I agree with Justthatguy, you know i can be very annoying, ask to Ikar and Marshall....

I present to you the customary "MOAR!"

JustThatGuy

This will undoubtedly be one of the greatest narratives here.

Heh, I doubt it, but thanks for the compliment :)

Belgiumruler

Demand more option is chosen!

Mkoll13

I present to you the customary "MOAR!"

Me too, I want some action.
The replies are much appreciate, to show, im staying up late wokring on the next chapter ;)

o0go.jpg

The year 1930 marked an important turn point in Carol's life and that of the Kingdom of Romania. Somewhere during the spring Carol returned, incognito, to Romania and secretively looked for support among old friends in the government and military. On June 7, with support from Iuliu Maniu and Gheorghe Mironescu, the act of 28 September 1925 through which Carol had renounced the throne, was canceled. With his son Mihae still being too young, his brother Nicolae happy to give up his position and the military favoring Carol[1], there was no option for the opposition but to accept.

It was clear that, although Carol might have lost some connection with reality, he had a well thought out plan when he claimed the throne and in 1930 the first steps of his reforms were executed. He started with the construction of an industrial and cultural center around Brasov.[2] In '31 and '32 Romania went through a series of land and administrative reforms and the country was divided into seven areas that had little resemblances to the old borders. Although the new administrative districts gave rise to some conflicts, the land reforms distributed a lot of land among farmers, combined with the increase in industry, most people were positive about the changes. Besides a couple reports of minor incidents there is actually very little evidence that Carol was anything other then a sane, functional ruler during these years.

By the 1933 Carol's policies changed to a far more aggressive stance both internally and externally. Within the government, he slowly started to limit the freedom of the parties as he seemed to grow more and more suspicious of political enemies. That year the Cercetaşi Ascuns de Română (CAR)[3] were formed who mostly operated as his personal secret service. The FARR had been given funds to expand and for the first time a Romanian build plane, the IAR.24 met the requirements, at the 1st national air contest of Romania.

The Little Entente was abolished and except for Poland and France, Romania had very little diplomatic allies. Internally the country was flooded with nationalistic propaganda with a very strong hint to old dacian culture. A lot of emphasis was put on the threats of a coming war and several neighboring countries were proclaimed oppressors of 'our peoples'. Nobody in Romania was surprised when the one-year draft was passed.

1r0y.jpg

Over the years the hint of a militaristic Dacian identity had made way for a strong flavor and the military reforms of '35 redivided the entire army into the new 'Triburi' system. It was clear that part of the army was being prepared for war as they were outfitted with the latest equipment and uniforms. The FARR put out a contract to extend the 1st Grup Tactic Bombardier with the new IAR.37 as well as an entire new fighter group to be build.[4] Then on 18 February 1936 an act was passed mobilizing part of the economy for military purposes and imposing a mandatory three-year draft.

Up till fall, the year had been relatively quiet on a global scale. Except for the Italians turning Ethiopia into a puppet state on April 1st and the Spanish nationalists starting a short lived attempt at a revolution, not much had happened. So the whole world was a bit surprised when Romania mobilized it's forces on 28th September. Then, at 03:00 on the 15th of November 1936, when Romanian forces crossed the Danube and invaded Yugoslavia and Bulgaria, the whole world felt the threat of a coming war.

[1] – Many of the important positions in the military chain of command where occupied by soldiers who first encountered Carol at the front during WW-I. Most of them were stationed as low-ranking officers at the time.

[2] - In a couple months SET had been abolished and incorporated in IAR, a new university of Politehnics was build with a faculty for electrical engineering and one for aerodynamics and Radiotelephonic Broadcasting Company was moved to Brasov and renamed Radio Română.

[3] – Roughly translates to Covert Scouts of Romania

[4] – The group consisted of PZL.P24 and IAR.24 fighter planes. The Polish variant was preferred but they could not supply all 40 planes in a year so 14 of the Romanian build variant filled the gap.

Last edited:
Well I was planning on including gameplay images, but I'm still not sure how to do it. After some searching around the style for more of the ingame overviews is now set so some updates will be out soon, maybe today.

Hey RikD, I'm thrilled to let you know that I've nominated you for the July AARtist of the Month. Congrats! Very well deserved, as anyone who's read this AAR so far can tell. Keep up the great work!

RikD deserves it by miles.

You hear that, RikD?! That's my way of making you give us moar. :p

Oh man, this really great :)
Thanks for all the support everyone.

I have actually been working on a full graphical overview of the kingdom inspired by some great AAR's but that takes a lot of time.
Then it was great weather this weekend so that didn't help, and then last night I decided that what I had, did not fit the AAR so I started all over again....
So not sure when next update will be ready now, but i promise i'll make it worth the wait ^^

Well I was planning on including gameplay images, but I'm still not sure how to do it. After some searching around the style for more of the ingame overviews is now set so some updates will be out soon, maybe today.
Use Bandicam for that.

Cool, I've caught up with yet another AAR. For some reason, I was too afraid to read the 25th update, but it turned out it wasn't all that horrible :D

JustThatGuy

You better.

Oh god, the pressure...

Migthy

Use Bandicam for that.

It's more of an artistic issue then a technical one, still, thanks for trying to help out :)

Ikarases

Cool, I've caught up with yet another AAR. For some reason, I was too afraid to read the 25th update, but it turned out it wasn't all that horrible

I'm glad you did not suffer much, I guess... :laugh:

Anyway, enjoy this in the meantime:

First of all, many thanks for uploading the banner!

Now, may I note that there is a "Multi-quote" button next to the "Reply with quote" button? You'll need your brightness cranked up to see it, but it's there, and it's darn useful ;)

j1uk.jpg

On 14 February 1936 Carol revealed his intend to invade Yugoslavia and Bulgaria to the top of the military and government. He demanded that the army would be ready for an invasion by the end of the year. When asked why, he had answered: "The enemy is growing and we must prepare Romania for their threat. First we must secure our position by taking back control over the lower and middle Danube. Then we will deal with the traitors. But for now just focus on the task add hand." [1]

Even though it is clear that Carol surprised his ministers when he declared to them they were going to war before the end of the year, some managed to turn the situation in their favor right away. Prime Minister Georghe Tatarescu maneuvered quickest and first suggested that field marshal Ion Antonescu would be to busy to be bothered with the task of the Chief of Staff and that it would be better if Victor Antonescu would take his place.[2] Then, one month later, Chief of the Army Marin Ceausu openly spoke out against the war and was directly removed from position by Carol. Tatarescu was the only one capable of gaining enough support withing the party to take the position. It was later discovered that Ceausu was counting on the support of Tatarescu who had instigated the plan to directly oppose Carol.

It is difficult to say whether Carol was experiencing episodes add that time and if these were apparent to his ministers. Still, it is very unlikely that they were not aware of his disconnection with reality.

67r4.jpg

After the reforms of '35, plans had been made to expend the land forces with six anti-tank regiments . Of these six only five would be build due to limitations of the supplier. Progress on upgrading the infantry to the new standard had been slow up till this point, therefor the production of the anti-tank regiments was put on hold and upgrading the main forces became top priority. The anti-tank artillery that had been made so far were just enough to form two regiments.

xvgf.jpg

In the air-force the new fighter group had already been deployed and the crew had got accustomed to the new models while grup 1 Tactic Bombardier had still had not received a single IAR 37. This was partially due to the facilities being used to produce the new fighters. Some factories in the region of Brasov were mobilized to aid in further production in an attempt to get the bombers ready before the end of the year.

bod7.jpg

While the military was devising a plan for the invasion, it was decided that Triburi Daci would be transferred to Armata Getae so that together with Triburi Carpi they could, in Carol's words: "Form the spearhead of the assault and free the way for Triburi Odrysi and Tribali so that they may reclaim their lands". Most of the new weapons produced were distributed among these Triburi's.

dmrv.jpg

[1] – The quote was given by Tatarescu a few years later, according to him, despite any questions no further details where provided on the identity of the enemy or traitors.

[2] - Ion Antonescu was also the only minister not of the NPC, and with Tatarescu as the chosen leader of the party this ment that removing Ion would remove a lot of the oppositions power.