• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There is no point other than your vassals having an easier time managing those below them and gaining more prestige/piety. Valuable for duke and king vassals (that generate their own tech also), not so much for counts.

/me cast resurrect

Hi,

Great OP Allastair,

I found an additional spread base value 'Trade post bonus' while researching the subject for someone who was asking.
"Trade post bonus (only the doge: your republic has a trade post in a county that has higher, only affects republic capital, needs testing on a duke level vassal patrician but I doubt it)"
For more information, see http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...s-anyone-have-a-good-guide-to-understand-this

What's the point in spreading culture tech to anywhere outside your capital?
Military organization, construction, and the culture techs, there is no point at all. Only the tech in the capital counts.

Castle Infrastructure and the rest of the economic and military techs are province dependent, however. You need to boost castle infrastructure and improved keeps in every county of your demesne if you want more than 8-9 gold per year from your non-capital castles, for instance. Likewise, you need to boost your military techs if you want stronger levies.

edit - Though I just realized, in a larger sense, the marshal and steward are probably better used to train levies and increase taxes in your best province. Assuming you plan to keep your capital in place for the whole game, I hereby change my answer to "not much point at all".

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure, but i thought i remembered seeing that the 'from tech' oppinion bonus changed between different provinces. Maybe they changed cultural tech so that it depends on the province the vassal is in?

Edit: Actually that could be the different cultures of my vassals

I'm not entirely sure, but i thought i remembered seeing that the 'from tech' oppinion bonus changed between different provinces. Maybe they changed cultural tech so that it depends on the province the vassal is in?

Edit: Actually that could be the different cultures of my vassals
Really? I will have to check that out. If true, that would be an interesting change.

edit - Then the bottom tech on each list would be the main capital only tech with most of the rest needing to spread to be effective? I like that change!

I'm bumping this because Ive read a couple posts that led to me believe aspects of the TOG tech spread are still misunderstood, and this was the post that originally helped me understand it.

Ah, this is most enlightening. I have worked on the assumption that councilors increase the rate of research. So those bastards have just been sitting around idling in my capital laughing at their king's stupidity.

Well, everybody wants to get paid without actually doing any job.

They increase spread to the province they are already in. The only advisor, who spread technology FROM province he/she is in to your capital, is the spymaster.

Three others, they just increase spread to the province you put them in (the better idea is your capital province, in such a manner, they increase spymaster's spread also).

It seems that if this is how the council missions really work, calling the missions "Research tech" is a big part of the misunderstanding, since it implies new discoveries. They should probably be called "Spread tech" since they just bring in existing tech.

I thought I understood but it does not look like. When I choose spy to research I am given a choice of provinces with highers techs where I can spy. Now no provinces are available for me because there is no province more developed then mine. Marshal and accountant (forgot how he is called) can "spread" technology only in my own demesnes. How can they spread in their own demesne especially when it is already the most developed? The priest on the other hand can spread technology (culture) in any provinces of the world. How, can it be?

I thought I understood but it does not look like. When I choose spy to research I am given a choice of provinces with highers techs where I can spy. Now no provinces are available for me because there is no province more developed then mine. Marshal and accountant (forgot how he is called) can "spread" technology only in my own demesnes. How can they spread in their own demesne especially when it is already the most developed? The priest on the other hand can spread technology (culture) in any provinces of the world. How, can it be?

Your tech development in the tech screen is only for your capital county, not for the rest of your demesne, so you can use the councillors to spread it into the other demesne counties.
Look at the single tech specific map (click the box left to each tech and watch the map), also hover your mouse over the tech numbers in the province/county view.
It wil show the percentage of probable increase in tech for that specific county.
The priest spreading everywhere issue is a misunderstanding.

Its' pretty simple:

Priest, steward and marshall spread tech into each county (where they are doing spread research) of your demesne from your capital or into your capital county while a spymaster steals tech somewhere from that more advanced county.
Spymaster spreads tech from a foreign more advanced county to your capital.

Temples and universities increase spread to this county in which they are build.

Tech points are aquired by your own characters skills and buildings. Military tech points only through skills and battles.
Tech points, thus actual resarch, can only be done by dukes and upwards.

Last edited:
The thing is that I have only 1 county and I can send my Marshal and Stewart to that county, so how they can spread anything? If a Spy wants to steal technology he can do it only from a county which has higher technology when your capital all other are grayed out. Priest's research choice is not limited to your demesne like Marshal's or Stewart's. The green option shows that you can get a benefit by sending your adviser there. So what is a benefit for sending a Marshal to research in my most developed county in the world, because it is the only option?

I also suspect that rulers can inherit technological points. My king just died and my technology points almost doubled. I suspect because my heir had a pool of his own technology points which he collected while he was a duke.

The thing is that I have only 1 county and I can send my Marshal and Stewart to that county, so how they can spread anything? If a Spy wants to steal technology he can do it only from a county which has higher technology when your capital all other are grayed out. Priest's research choice is not limited to your demesne like Marshal's or Stewart's. The green option shows that you can get a benefit by sending your adviser there. So what is a benefit for sending a Marshal to research in my most developed county in the world, because it is the only option?

I also suspect that rulers can inherit technological points. My king just died and my technology points almost doubled. I suspect because my heir had a pool of his own technology points which he collected while he was a duke.

Very unlikely that there is no more advanced county, unless you cheated or play the fatimids, but even them have one or two tech lower than some other counties at start.
As i wrote, click the little boxes on each tech and see how the colour changes. White is most advanced.

They can spread in your capital county while your spymaster is stealing tech somewhere else. Watch the wheels turning.
There is no effect regarding your marshal question, as long as it is indeed the most developed county in the world.

You can indeed move your priest in your vassals counties, but it shows no effect. Probably a bug.
Yes you inherit tech points.

Wait, I had thought that the research buildings spread technology from the location they are built in, to neighboring counties.

Would it be more accurate to say that the buildings and council missions (except the spymaster's mission) draw in technology, instead of saying that they spread it?

Wait, I had thought that the research buildings spread technology from the location they are built in, to neighboring counties.

Would it be more accurate to say that the buildings and council missions (except the spymaster's mission) draw in technology, instead of saying that they spread it?

Yup. They help spread it into the county they are build.
Thus buildings also increase the spread into your capital from the spymaster. Well, actually it just increases the overall chance for tech to increase, but that includes the spymasters incoming spread.
You can just hover over the tech numbers in the province view/tab and you'll see the percentages for the buildings, just like for a councillor doing work there.

Last edited:
Very unlikely that there is no more advanced county, unless you cheated or play the fatimids, but even them have one or two tech lower than some other counties at start.
As i wrote, click the little boxes on each tech and see how the colour changes. White is most advanced.

They can spread in your capital county while your spymaster is stealing tech somewhere else. Watch the wheels turning.
There is no effect regarding your marshal question, as long as it is indeed the most developed county in the world.

I never use any cheats as I want some challenge. I am playing Lithuania from 867. Now it is 1170 and my Spy is not given any "green" provinces to chose from to steal technologies. I started from 0, 0, 0. I did not make any optimizations in respect of research or even an effort to become the most developed. I just have three 2nd level universities in the county.

One thing which definitely helped is That Vilnius was always my capital and had never had any other counties in my demesne for any longre period because of gavelkind inheritance.

The new system is not good imho because the technology is not spreading evenly. Just a few provinces away from the most developed province in the world I can find provinces with 0 technologies.