• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(1823)

Johan's Home Account
Mar 14, 2001
Why did you make such a DLC ?
It was a suggestion done by a fan here at the forum, and we thought it would be a cool concept for a fun DLC.
We constantly get requests for things like this.
And as you all know, we've done it before with Fantasia in EU1, the scenarios for HoI2: Armageddon etc..

Is there anyone here thats played our games for a while, and have not tried out an "alienattack" in hoi2? ;)

Did it take time from something else?
No. I could write a detailed explanation of this, but if you need to be told that artists and scripters are NOT working on code-bugs or code-features, you might not understand the explanation anyway.

But why make this project now and not republics/pagans/theocracies
Well.. ehh... ehh.. whats to say.. ehh.. something isn't.. ehh.. *hush*

But I don't want an alternative history dlc?
Well, don't buy it then, its as simple as that. It´s optional. You choose.

I don't want the aztec invasion to always happen!
You can turn off the DLC in the launcher if you don't want it. Simple as that.

What did you think the reaction would be?
I thought there would be 3 reactions.
a) "funny, but not something I want."
b) "funny, i want it"
c) "not my cup of tea, I don't care"

We never thought people would get angry...

If you want to know more:
Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion impressions at Destructoid
http://www.destructoid.com/crusader-kings-ii-sunset-invasion-impressions-237772.phtml

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is, it's so ridiculous it makes the CK2 brand look worse.

You've prided yourselves on delivering a proper medieval dynasty experience with CK2 and it's DLCs so far, then Paradox comes out of left field with this?

IMO it just doesn't fit, and I think a lot of people share my sentiment here based on what I'm reading.

I'm not angry. I'm bewildered and amused. I think it will be fun and as you can always turn it off and be historical-why not :D
Edit: I think it is a sign of love that people get angry about these things. Everybody loves you PI really...don't they?

For what it's worth I find it rather funny. Some people's reaction to it is rather... bizarre. Will the aztecs have a new religion or will they be listed under the generic pagan group that south mali gets?

I'm not angry, just disappointed and a little confused as to how this went from being an amusing office joke to an actual game concept. LoR was already a very 'thin' DLC, but I bought it to support Paradox and because I appreciated the content in the free 1.07 patch which accompanied it.

Still, we'll have to see what's round the corner. I do look forward to the 1.08 patch, but I won't be buying this particular DLC. I'll get the Mediterranean Portraits DLC, though.

The problem is, it's so ridiculous it makes the CK2 brand look worse.

You've prided yourselves on delivering a proper medieval dynasty experience with CK2 and it's DLCs so far, then Paradox comes out of left field with this?

IMO it just doesn't fit, and I think a lot of people share my sentiment here based on what I'm reading.

Honestly, I think it fits perfectly with the whole way this game works. I can have a black Holy Roman Emperor, a Muslim King of England, I can assault Russia as an Irish count. You aren't mimicking history, you are having fun in a "what if?" sandbox universe.

Think it'll be awesome.

They said it themselves, don't spend the money on it if you don't want it. I will buy it, and I want to thank the Devs for developing some great stuff! :D

I'm amused as well. I probably won't buy it though.
Of course, 'not buying it', means 'waiting for a Steam Sale instead of buying it on day 1' for me when it's about CK or EU :D.

Thanks for the FAQ. While I'm not happy with this DLC, I respect PI's decision, and I also am happy that the devs are taking time to explain this to the angry mob (myself included).

But why make this project now and not republics/pagans/theocracies
Well.. ehh... ehh.. whats to say.. ehh.. something isn't.. ehh.. *hush*

Oh, so this means the next DLC will be something about either republics, pagans, or theocracies...

Honestly, I think it fits perfectly with the whole way this game works. I can have a black Holy Roman Emperor, a Muslim King of England, I can assault Russia as an Irish count. You aren't mimicking history, you are having fun in a "what if?" sandbox universe.

Those things are a whole lot more plausible than Aztecs being able to cross the Atlantic in the medieval time period

Speaking as someone who was abit angry (tough I was far far from being one of the most vocal), the lack of historicity never bothered me (yes, the aliens attack comes to mind) and once it became obvious this was really just a fun dlc you quickly put togheter for a fun game, it really stopped bothering me. As people have been saying, if you make it funny and amusing enough, it'll be well worth a play-through or 2.

Now, I'd probably have announced this togheter with the announcment for th next expansion, to solidify on people's minds that this is something minor, but thats just me

I'm not angry, just disappointed and a little confused as to how this went from being an amusing office joke to an actual game concept. LoR was already a very 'thin' DLC, but I bought it to support Paradox and because I appreciated the content in the free 1.07 patch which accompanied it.

Yeah, due to balance and practical reasons, we had to give most of the LoR stuff for free in the 1.07 patch.

As a minor, optional DLC it does actually make sense to me, although I am pretty certain I won't buy it. My initial reactions were based on the assumption that it would be a big patch-based thing like LoR. I'm sorry for calling it 'the worst idea ever', a remark that was based off those assumptions and rumours I've heard.

As a community that's used to full expansion pack style content, fairly new to the idea of optional micro-dlc, it's understandable for the 'WHAATT!!!?!' shock to take a while to disappear and be replaced with more reasonable thoughts. If EUIII got a whole expansion pack devoted to some kind of mole-people invasion, the community would be pretty mental about it.

Think it'll be awesome.

They said it themselves, don't spend the money on it if you don't want it. I will buy it, and I want to thank the Devs for developing some great stuff! :D

This basically!

I'm pretty excited to have a new DLC so soon after Legacy of Rome, even if it's just a little bit of fun as opposed to a serious gamechanger. Anything that keeps adding new flavour to CK2 is great in my opinion, especially if it didn't draw resources away from other, more vital DLC in the works.

Good job :D!