• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Woah, woah, OK, calm down. Grell74 has a point, actually, it's just a DIFFERENT point from the one most people are thinking about.

When Johan said that this DLC didn't take resources from anything else, he was GENERALLY referring to stuff like republics, theocracies, pagans, etc. - in other words, meaty gameplay changes that take designers and programmers to crack. This was in direct response to people complaining that "You threw over playable republics/theocracies/pagans/comets for THIS?!" "No resources were wasted" because the artists and scripters needed to work on this Aztec mod wouldn't have been able to help with that kind of thing to BEGIN with.

What Grell is suggesting, however, is that instead of modeling and scripting for Aztecs, these artists and scripters COULD have been drawing orcs/elves and scripting appropriate events for such. He further suggests that this would have been a lot handier to the community because there's a number of fantasy mods out there now that COULD use fantasy models and shields and are unable to insert these themselves, since existing Paradox modding tools don't support that. Heck, he even suggests that instead of fantasy, they could well have drawn things like Indian or Japanese units that modders could make use of. As such, the artists and scripters were "misspent" working on Aztecs when they could have been making elves/orcs/dwarves/Indians/Japanese/fanboy models.

This is entirely true, and he is entirely within his rights to be disappointed by the specific choice of things Paradox decided to model (and sell). That said, I can't help but think that the more historically-minded fans would have been just as furious and outspoken if the DLC HAD been about a fantasy invasion of some kind - it's true they say that fantasy would have been better now, but that's with the benefit of comparison. If they hadn't known that the alternative was Aztec invasion, would those screaming for republics really have been happier with the outbreak of the Dwarf/Troll wars in Scandinavia and the premature rise of Count Dracula? As for modeling units from other parts of the world, well, I don't personally know what the comparative popularity of nations is in the modding community, but hey - at least the guys hoping for a Mesoamerican mod are going to be happy, right?

I think it's pretty silly to assert that Paradox artists should spend their time making art specifically for modders.

I think it's pretty silly to assert that Paradox artists should spend their time making art specifically for modders.

I don't believe he said that they SHOULD have. I believe he said that they COULD have, and he is disappointed that they didn't. Is this really that silly? Is it so different from saying "I am disappointed that Paradox decided to make EUIV instead of EU: Rome 2, because I prefer Romans"? DEMANDING that Paradox ought to do something in order to please fans is one thing, but surely he and others have the right to possess desires and express those desires as well as their disappointment that their desires were not met?

To break down his original post, he simply doesn't think Aztecs are a good idea, and believes that a fantasy-focused DLC would have been a better idea. Given that he wasn't at any point saying that Paradox MUST have done what he wants and OUGHT to do so and that doing otherwise is a slap in the face to all true fans, is what he says really so silly?

I realize of course that some of those expressing their desires have been more than silly in doing so. But should we let this tar all those who don't like the idea with the same brush? Ought we not examine what each person is saying and respond to that, instead of assuming that all those who don't like the DLC dislike them for the same reasons and in the same way?

(Disclaimer: Personally, I think the DLC is rather silly and a bit of a jump from what Paradox normally does, but they're quite free to do what they feel best - I just won't be buying their stuff. I also feel that those complaining that the mere existence of the DLC taints CK2 in some way are very, very silly.)

It also seem to have a "revenge" aspect that I do not like. Europe invaded by overwhelming forces that bring a horrible disease, human sacrifice and ripping the hearts out of characters - gives those horrible Europeans a taste of what they deserve because of what they did to the third world - sounds like a politically correct fantasy.
But Aztecs are much cooler than Chinese. Point is, it's a fantasy scenario.

This isn't total war either. Having the wrong unit sprites for a fantasy scenario wouldn't be an entirely game or immersion breaking experience. You could simply ignore them.

And if paradox devs were gonna work on some stuff for modders, then it'd be for already well established mods like maybe GOT (although obviously in that case there's copyright issues so that's not gonna happen). It'd be silly if they spent 20 hours making chinese units then no one even bothered making a chinese mod.

I'll just pop in to state my (largely unimportant) opinion on this, uh, "situation."

Let's all be honest - the reaction has been quite polarized, with a very vocal minority spewing a fair bit of unnecessary vitriol. If you don't want it, don't buy it. If you want it, buy it. Your money will influence Paradox's decisions in the future, and that's good! Fans want to feel like they have a say. The best part of this whole deal is that all additions that the DLC makes are optional, and the core game will be unaffected. Yay for consumer choices!

Now, as far as the whole "THEY ARE TAKING AWAY RESOURCES FROM WHAT I DETERMINE TO BE THE MOST IMPORTANT STUFF! NYEH!" thing is concerned, people would be saying that anyway. Some people want theocracies. Some want pagans. Some want republics. No matter what Paradox chose to do, several groups would be alienated and angry because what they have stressed as being important was not focused on first. Before you say that NO ONE was asking for Aztec DLC, so it should have been ignored/never made/etc, let me remind you that most of the community doesn't just want features for the sake of features - they want features that are fun.

If the Aztec DLC offers new and interesting events that change the late-game in a way that is quirky and enjoyable, I'm in. I'll bet that there's a large portion of Paradox's core audience that feels much the same.

Now, if it sucks, I'll be the first in line to throw expired chocolate bars at the developers... XD

tl;dr: Be patient before you furiously pound away at your keyboards. You come across as foolish, entitled, and poopy-headed.

Yeah, I went there. Recess is in session, gentlemen. THE BALL IS IN YOUR COURT.