• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why is it that sometimes when I (a duke) conquer surrounding counties I have a claim on they are added to my duchy and other times not?

You should specify and give an example of the situation you are refering to as that doesn't give us much to work with really. What claims are you using if you use de jure claims then the county only becomes owned by you directly if the direct ruler of that holding is same or highter level as you. If the direct ruler is a count he becomes your vassal it even reads in the claim desctiptions and when you make peace.

You should specify and give an example of the situation you are refering to as that doesn't give us much to work with really. What claims are you using if you use de jure claims then the county only becomes owned by you directly if the direct ruler of that holding is same or highter level as you. If the direct ruler is a count he becomes your vassal it even reads in the claim desctiptions and when you make peace.
Yes thx for answering. I took the county of Rouen after fabricating a claim on it (I'm duke of Flanders). After winning it became part of my demesne. I then granted it to my brother, who later went on to become duke of Gelre. So maybe the county of Rouen was lost from my realm when he became a duke himself and moved it to his own duchie?

Yes thx for answering. I took the county of Rouen after fabricating a claim on it (I'm duke of Flanders). After winning it became part of my demesne. I then granted it to my brother, who later went on to become duke of Gelre. So maybe the county of Rouen was lost from my realm when he became a duke himself and moved it to his own duchie?

Yep, that's how the game work. If one of your vassals presses a claim for a title that is equal to or greater than your title he will become independent and take any lands/vassals he currently has with him. Kind of like how the Duke of Normandy created a Kingdom in England. In my current game as Norway one of my vassals pressed a claim for Denmark (actually it was a Subjugation war) and when he won he took some of my lands with him. You have to be careful who you give titles to, because if you make them too strong they will press claims/declare wars, etc...

Are Levies of my vassals drawn only from their personal demesnes or does it matter if they have their vassals. I suspect the former and thus my question is:
why should I prefer one duke over 4 counts in the same duchy? (Except when vassal limit is hit) Wouldn't I get more troops from 4 counts than one duke? (not considering opinion)

Are Levies of my vassals drawn only from their personal demesnes or does it matter if they have their vassals. I suspect the former and thus my question is:
why should I prefer one duke over 4 counts in the same duchy? (Except when vassal limit is hit) Wouldn't I get more troops from 4 counts than one duke? (not considering opinion)

The ultimate question. Well one reason you want Duchies is because they generate tech points - though in the grand scheme I'm not sure that matters a whole lot. Another would be that with four counts you might end up with more internal wars and these wars might be between balanced sides leading to very long and drawn out conflicts. If you have one powerful duke with three weaker vassals, revolts should be squashed quickly. Powerful Dukes can start wars on their own and increase your realm size. For instance in my Norway game, one of my Dukes has conquered a couple of counties (Hamburg and Bremen) that I would never have considered. You can also do the double whammy where you attack a Kingdom, and gain some counties and then when you're done your Dukes attack the same weakened Kingdom and gain some more - your truce doesn't apply to them. AFAIK, Dukes draw on their vassals as well when called to war.

Also, it is easier to keep 1 Duke happy than 4 Counts.

1) The 'Become King of ....'-ambition appears and disappears as eligible ambition for no reasons i can fathom (Old Gods; Jarl of Skane aiming for Denmark)
2) Sometimes I am not able to start an independence faction (even though there is none active in the realm) but am only allowed to declare war for independence outright (Old Gods; Vassal of Sjaelland).
Intuitively both seem to be connected with how close I am to achieving the goal, ie the more landed titles I hold the meh. Please enlighten me.

1. As independent feudal king of sicily, what happens when I press de jure claim on Republic of Amalfi ? I hold the duchy of Salerno as well, which the Amalfi county is part of. The tooltip just says that my character will gain the grand city of Amalfi. Not sure what that means. I certainly don't want to hold the republic title myself.
2. My kingdom of sicily is on limited CA. If I swear fealty to ERE, which is on High CA, will I be able to wage war within ERE? Or at least grap the few counties in de jure Sicily? On kingdom mapmode, if I hover over the ERE provinces in Sicily, it already says that the active crown law is Sicily's limited.

Thanks!

Hello everyone, I have a question in regards to empire and crown laws. As an empire I handed out some kingsdowms as viceroyalties and the vasalls changed the crown laws. Are these overwritten by my empire laws? Or do I have to manually change them back after getting the kingdoms back after the vasall's death? Or would it be easier to destroy the kingdom title and create it anew? Thanks!

1. As independent feudal king of sicily, what happens when I press de jure claim on Republic of Amalfi ? I hold the duchy of Salerno as well, which the Amalfi county is part of. The tooltip just says that my character will gain the grand city of Amalfi. Not sure what that means. I certainly don't want to hold the republic title myself.
2. My kingdom of sicily is on limited CA. If I swear fealty to ERE, which is on High CA, will I be able to wage war within ERE? Or at least grap the few counties in de jure Sicily? On kingdom mapmode, if I hover over the ERE provinces in Sicily, it already says that the active crown law is Sicily's limited.

Thanks!

1. You get the county with a city is capital. The Republic is destroyed if the Amalfians haven't acquired land elsewhere.
2. High will apply to you, the king. Limited will apply to your vassals.

Decided to play in Ireland for once and come across something that I haven't ever previously experienced.

I declare war on a single-county-count for his county... another AI then decides to attack him too, but raises up a 2500 man army from prestige. I have to retreat as he's hostile to me... the 2nd attacker is obviously going to win the war.

Then suddenly out of the blue, I'm at war with the 2nd attacker directly because he 'inherited' my war for that county. I'm now up against him and his 2500+ man army. Thing is, I never declared war on HIM, but the random kid that previously owned the county. I could swear that in the past my war would just get cancelled because the person I declared war on is no longer in control of what I wanted. Is this a recent change? Or have I just been completely oblivious to this as it doesn't exactly happen often in mainland europe? I suppose it has to do with him now being landless as it was his only county. I thought inheriting wars never really seemed something that occured in this game with the exception of in-kingdom-revolts.

Similar question to Woopzilla above. (2.1.6 vanilla, btw)

Playing as Ireland+Wales, some time ago in my game, I pressed an unlanded kinsman's claim on Scotland while Scotland was at war with Norway for the King of Norway's personal claim on Scotland. Norway won (gaining 'Skottland' as the game now called it), but my war continued, now against Norway, which I won. Upon winning the war, the unlanded kinsman claimant became King of Scotland, but instead of getting the de jure capital county of Scotland (Dunbar?), he got the de jure capital county of Norway (Bergenshus) instead, leaving the King of Norway with only a Barony for directly-held land. (My kinsman promptly gave up the Kingdom to the former King of Scotland, likely due to a faction firing off.)

1) Was it WAD that my war for my kinsman's claim on Scotland continued even after Norway's war for Scotland had ended with Scotland becoming part of Norway? At the time I was surprised as I thought the war would end inconclusively due to the title changing ownership, so the landed ruler I was at war with no longer held the desired title.

2) Was it WAD that upon winning the war my kinsman gained Bergenshus instead of Dunbar?

Hello everyone, I have a question in regards to empire and crown laws. As an empire I handed out some kingsdowms as viceroyalties and the vasalls changed the crown laws. Are these overwritten by my empire laws? Or do I have to manually change them back after getting the kingdoms back after the vasall's death? Or would it be easier to destroy the kingdom title and create it anew? Thanks!

Not exactly sure, but I believe the king has to awnser to the empire crown laws, and the dukes awnser to the kingdom crown laws

Decided to play in Ireland for once and come across something that I haven't ever previously experienced.

I declare war on a single-county-count for his county... another AI then decides to attack him too, but raises up a 2500 man army from prestige. I have to retreat as he's hostile to me... the 2nd attacker is obviously going to win the war.

Then suddenly out of the blue, I'm at war with the 2nd attacker directly because he 'inherited' my war for that county. I'm now up against him and his 2500+ man army. Thing is, I never declared war on HIM, but the random kid that previously owned the county. I could swear that in the past my war would just get cancelled because the person I declared war on is no longer in control of what I wanted. Is this a recent change? Or have I just been completely oblivious to this as it doesn't exactly happen often in mainland europe? I suppose it has to do with him now being landless as it was his only county. I thought inheriting wars never really seemed something that occured in this game with the exception of in-kingdom-revolts.

This has been happening since game release, it isn't recent, but it doesn't happen for all wars, though claim wars is one example. It can and does happen in larger realms (as you can see by the post after yours!)

Similar question to Woopzilla above. (2.1.6 vanilla, btw)

Playing as Ireland+Wales, some time ago in my game, I pressed an unlanded kinsman's claim on Scotland while Scotland was at war with Norway for the King of Norway's personal claim on Scotland. Norway won (gaining 'Skottland' as the game now called it), but my war continued, now against Norway, which I won. Upon winning the war, the unlanded kinsman claimant became King of Scotland, but instead of getting the de jure capital county of Scotland (Dunbar?), he got the de jure capital county of Norway (Bergenshus) instead, leaving the King of Norway with only a Barony for directly-held land. (My kinsman promptly gave up the Kingdom to the former King of Scotland, likely due to a faction firing off.)

1) Was it WAD that my war for my kinsman's claim on Scotland continued even after Norway's war for Scotland had ended with Scotland becoming part of Norway? At the time I was surprised as I thought the war would end inconclusively due to the title changing ownership, so the landed ruler I was at war with no longer held the desired title.

2) Was it WAD that upon winning the war my kinsman gained Bergenshus instead of Dunbar?

1. Yes

2. Almost certainly not.

Why is Feudal Elective not a possible succession for Feudal Catholic Norse?

No idea - there's certainly no restriction by culture, so it isn't because your character is Norse. Here's the code, in case you understand it:

Code:
succ_feudal_elective = {
		oldest_child_opinion = -30
		child_opinion = -10
		dynasty_opinion = -5
		vassal_opinion = 20
		potential = {
			holder_scope = {
				OR = {
					independent = yes
					NOT = {
						any_liege = {
							holy_order = yes
						}
					}
				}
				NOT = { religion_group = muslim }
				NOT = { religion_group = indian_group }
				is_merchant_republic = no
				is_patrician = no

OR = {
					NOT = { religion_group = pagan_group }
					is_reformed_religion = yes
					religion = hellenic_pagan
				}
			}
			OR = {
				is_landless_type_title = no
				is_tribal_type_title = yes
				temporary = yes
			}
			is_primary_type_title = no
			NOT = { tier = baron }
			OR = {
				AND = {
					tier = baron
					is_feudal = yes
				}
				holder_scope = { is_feudal = yes }
			}
		}
		effect = {
			succession = feudal_elective
		}
		revoke_allowed = {
			always = no
		}			
	}

I'm afraid I can't decipher anything below the religion = hellenic_pagan part.

I'm in Gavelkind. If I imprison my 2nd and 3rd sons will they stay imprisoned when I die or will they be auto-freed to rule their inheritance? I'd expect them to stay imprisoned but...

I'm in Gavelkind. If I imprison my 2nd and 3rd sons will they stay imprisoned when I die or will they be auto-freed to rule their inheritance? I'd expect them to stay imprisoned but...

They should become prisoners of your heir. It might be easier on your heir to just execute or banish them when your ruler starts getting old, although I can see why you might not want to do that for RP or 'interesting game' reasons.

This has been happening since game release, it isn't recent, but it doesn't happen for all wars, though claim wars is one example. It can and does happen in larger realms (as you can see by the post after yours!)

Thanks for the info! I guess I just never noticed since the only times I use claim CBs is when I'm a vassal within a kingdom trying to work my way up. The lack of CBs as christians is probably why I love playing as Pagan/Muslim characters.

Does anybody uses emperor level viceroys? Do they even work in the current beta patch or they're bugged?

I (Roman emperor) gave my brother viceroyality of Carpathia, thinking that he'll do some conquest for me on his own and once he's dead, Carpathia will revert back to me. He did become independent grand exarch, the succession law shown viceroyality, but when he died, his grandson inherited (his son died before that) and the succession law became primogeniture. Seems to me kind of useless to have this ability when it behaves the same way as landing...