• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
colonizing the world - basics?

so i just played on the european continent till now and think of getting into colony acquisation...

how do i start making colonies? what are the steps?
i tried to send ships with some armies but could not land anywhere :)

can somebody just list up the real basic steps to start colonization
- uncolonized regions (i wonder if there are still any)
- already taken regions of other countries

uncolonized regions (i wonder if there are still any)

These are gray in the political mapmode, to colonize a province just put a national focus there and it works it's magic, having at least one brigade there speeds it up, but no further bonus for more than that, if the state (colonization happens by state, not province) is on another continent you need a naval base with enough range to reach it, that range can be improved with tech (I think), it can also be checked using the colonial mapmode. Another factor is life rating, it's that little thermometer you see when you click on a province, at the beginning of the game 35 is the min. life rating, but it can be improved with tech, machine guns, to get rid of those nasty moving things (like tigers and natives), gives 10 lower in min life rating and Imperialism and Nationalism (rather nonsensically) gives another 10 and one of the inventions from medicine gives another 5. Happy hunting! :)

I still don't get it, I've got the liferatings techs i need to colonize, the province is within range of my ports, but the focus tab is still greyed out. When I hover above it, it says "You cannot colonize here yet" or something like that. What else am I missing:confused:

I saw AI USA and Mexico eat up the rest of uncolonized "USA", Britain even colonized Washington State through Canada, so yes, I think it is possible

Edit: You just need a port to start colonization if you control no adjacent terretories

Colonization

I'm trying to colonize some tiny crappy island on the Pacific and it's telling me my current technology only allows me to colonize provinces with a 35+ life quality (or something like that), whereas the island in question has only 20. I've looked all over the tech tree and can't find anything to help me with this. What should I research?

You need some researches. Unfortunately, most are not available for research until 1850-1870/80/90.

What you can research from the beginning is "Medecine"; an invention that reduces the "liferating" by -5. So you can colonize those few 30 liferating provinces. If they lie within your naval range ...

But download the "Strategy Guide" and take a look at pages 50 and 51.

Yours,
AdL

You've really made my day. I've been waiting endlessly for a guide since Paradox assumes you already know everything. I'm starting to believe that's one of the reasons Paradox games don't get to be sales hits.

Medicine is available right off the bat, but some of those technologies are only available from 1850 on, Machine Guns is not available until 1870.

So you have to wait until 1870 before you are able to colonize every area that is capable of being colonized.

Speaking of which, is there a way to increase your naval range?

Status
Not open for further replies.