Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And the Auto save breaking.

Now, another question, can we have another EU3 expansion? Prehaps focusing on the New World and Tribal Africa or maybe a deeper religious system............*hint hint*.

Are you planning on releasing another patch for EU3 soon? There are several important things that need fixing, namely the steppe nomads system, viability of Ming for multiplayer play, and the well-documented glitches regarding the Japanese Daimyo system (the endless "Shogunate Has Disbanded" spam being one such).

Quoted for emphasis, hoping for an answer..
EU3 needs a final patch to fix some glaring issues. After that.. EU4 would be quite spectacular :)

Yes, indeed. EUIII nedds at least one more bug-fixing patch. The game is pretty much finished, but it's not yet polished enough. Unfortunately it appears that there won't be a EU4 announcement at least until late 2012.
When/Where will you release information on the next Paradox internal projects after CK2 and AHD?
Late 2012 or 2013.
edit: I'm talking about large projects, tons of expansions and smaller stuff coming.
/s
Any hope for an EUIII patch?

Where are the Scottish members of Paradox on Scottish Independence, which seems to be making the rounds in British discourse again?

Famous franchises from outside the gaming world have been converted into strategy games with generally poor results (see LoTR or GoThrones).
Has Paradox ever considered making a strategy game based on an already existing famous non-game franchise like that?

Podcat gets technical in the FTM DD about multithreading, but AFAIK you don't need to do anything else to support more cores. If you have 2+ cores and the game has 2+ threads it'll automatically spread them out.

While that is true, you get a lot (and I mean a LOT) less out of each core than if you optimize for more than 2 cores. While its a bit more work, you could signifigantly improve the performance of the game for people with quad cores (and more so for those with higher, although the vast majority of computers are quads these days). This would allow a lot more data to be processed (i.e. smarter AI, more nations, etc.) and allow the games to keep up with the times. A few simple google searches should provide you more information if you want to look into this more.

Famous franchises from outside the gaming world have been converted into strategy games with generally poor results (see LoTR or GoThrones).
Has Paradox ever considered making a strategy game based on an already existing famous non-game franchise like that?

A few years ago we were in contact with George RR Martin to make a CK like game based on the books, but we didn't finalize any contract. It is quite unlikely that we will work with third party IP, for many reasons.

While that is true, you get a lot (and I mean a LOT) less out of each core than if you optimize for more than 2 cores. While its a bit more work, you could signifigantly improve the performance of the game for people with quad cores (and more so for those with higher, although the vast majority of computers are quads these days). This would allow a lot more data to be processed (i.e. smarter AI, more nations, etc.) and allow the games to keep up with the times. A few simple google searches should provide you more information if you want to look into this more.

There are often reasons why these licensed games fail. Whoever owns them can't allow devs to freely change and use the IP so they need to exert influence over the game. Do you think GRRM has any idea what makes a good game UI? But bet your ass he'll have opinions about them. Opinions we as developers would have to obey.

/s

If a billionaire ever said "i want you to make this game for me, I'll pay you handsomely but you have to give me equal say in design and development", would you do it, assuming the game would be reasonably profitable?

(note; I am not a billionaire, don't worry)

Question for RedRalphWiggum; do you support Scottish Independence? And if so, is it because you like seeing maps redrawn?

A few years ago we were in contact with George RR Martin to make a CK like game based on the books, but we didn't finalize any contract. It is quite unlikely that we will work with third party IP, for many reasons.
Well that's most unfortunate :(

If a billionaire ever said "i want you to make this game for me, I'll pay you handsomely but you have to give me equal say in design and development", would you do it, assuming the game would be reasonably profitable?

(note; I am not a billionaire, don't worry)

If I ever had a lot of money (and I mean, a lot), I'd buy myself a supercomputer and get Paradox to make me (and exclusively me) the ultimate historical strategy game :)

Terrible idea.

I assume we will see that exact quote in future Paradox games whenever Scotland gains independence from England/Great Britain.