• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by Norgesvenn
Well, PE... I'm awestruck. This reminds me of great novels like 'The Salamander War' (not sure about English title....) by Capêk and George Orwell's 'Animal Farm'. :)
As for suggestions to what to do, I leave that to others who actually manage to *win* a war. :eek:

I don't know the English title of the 'Salamander War' either, but I really liked it when I read it in Danish, many years ago. Please note that knowledge of how to win wars is not required for you to make suggestions. Semi-literate argumentation will do nicely. :)

And MrT. On behalf on the ALU let me thank you for your suggestions. The missionary thingy has been going on since ~1600, but even at 2 missionaries/year, the nasty failure rates (plus an interesting Scientist province selection procedure) means that there are still approxmately 40 heathen provinces. Mostly Konfucian. I guess the ALU got that part of the message a century early ;)

This is a brilliant, original piece of work Mr. Ebbesen. VERY engrossing. I won't presume to influence your intended direction. I like surprises. :cool:

Are you talking about Karel Capek? If so, I believe the English name is: War With the Newts.

Installment the fifth

The Timurid Scientists: The Order of the Lamp Martial

"...I sent the first squad of exquisitors of the Order of the Lamp Martial east in 1505, the year Jahângîr was Khan. Their mission was twofold: To find and acquire upgrade lamps at any cost (well, obviously not at any cost. At any reasonable cost as according to the cost-benefit analysis tattooed on their backs - there just wasn't room for the calculations on their forearms), to spread the Sunni faith (not that missionaries hadn't been doing that for centuries, but with the Order, it was made official, and the somewhat narrowminded view of the Order helped), and to help spread the light of science. They were issued standardized torches and set on their way." - Excerpt from "Order of the Lamp Martial: Paladins or Pyromaniacs?"

"...Following the stunning success of the first invasion of China, the wily Jahângîr extended his alliance to encompass Ak Koyunlu, Qara Koyunlu and the Mamelukes. His western border thus secure, he recruited an even creater host for the next round of fighting. It is estimated that he raised about 25,000 men per year for a five year period. Thus by 1510 when fighting broke out anew, the Mughal army consisted of half a million men, of whom 225,000 were tasked with invading China, and the rest with fighting rebellions, which were endemic in the empire in those days. Even as troops were pouring into China, momentous news arrived from the West. Crippled by wars and economic mismanagement the great kingdom of Spain was disintegrating, as Portugal and Navarre broke free. The breakup was completed the following year with the independence of Sicily, Sardinia, Aragon, Catalunya, Naples, and Granada. Spain was never to recover from this disaster. The Mughals, however, exulted. 1511 saw the occupation of four provinces of China, for which the nobles gifted the Khan lavishly, and May 1512 marks the first (but certainly not the last) occupation of the Chinese capital of Hebei. The Mughal Empire thus acquired the complete geographical knowledge of China and much of Manchuria, and the scholars and generals of the day must have been surprised by the huge size of China, now finally revealed. When peace was signed in 1512 China lost Sichan, Shaanxi, Guanxi, Guangdong, and two tradingposts. To celebrate this, Jahângir enserfed a few of the remaining freeholders, leading to brief revolts in 1514 when there was massive unhappiness amongst the peasantry. During this period the Alliance forces kept fighting the Ottomans without Mughal help, a pattern that was to be repeated. China kept losing ground and was forced to give up much of the heartland of the Chinese Empire in the peace of 1522.

The Far East, 1622
485758524.jpg

When considering the empire during these tumultous years it is often easy to forget the massive non-military programs, such as the colonization of South East Asia or the many and systematic attempts at converting the heathens in the newly conquered provinces, and focus solely upon the wars. And though, admittedly, the wars gained intensity with the addition of Manchu and Nipponese expiditionary corps, it is nevertheless interesting to note how the earlier policies of strict merchantilism were abandoned (gradually, it must be said) in favour of free trade, even in spite of determined opposition. Yet the momentous events of 1627 overshadows even this. The defection of Nanchung and Anhui to the Mughal Empire from China, and the demise of the mighty Jahângîr. At his death, China was obviously losing the struggle, but still far from lost. Could Jahângîr's successor live up to his legacy?" - Excerpt from "Mighty Mughals: Jahângîr the Mighty"

"They also serve who enlighten" - Offical motto of the Order of the Lamp Martial

"...The Spanish collapse and their subsequent bankruptcies? It is obvious to anybody with my financial background, that it was an inevitable consequence of letting some fuckers run their finances..." - A Bursarial Insight

"...With the election of Shäh Jehän in 1627, I had great cause to be pleased. Yet another exceptional ruler, chosen by yours truly. I know things got off to a bad start with that plague in Bukhara in '29 and that little corruption scandal of '29 when I realized why it had taken so long to reach Infrastructure 5 (as the ALU denotes it), and boy did I punish Fifth Scientist for it, but all in all, things went well. By appointing regional governors throughout all of India I soon had inflation completely under control and began a massive program over the next decade of building breweries. Though I, being faithful, am, of course, no drinker, I was amazed by how our trading research projects were stimulated by this. I ended up building twenty breweries or so, the last ones were awfully expensive. I also noted that the monthly population growth percentage increased by a whole percent due to the governors - I wonder how they have time for their duties. Some ignorant git tried to sell me on a project to build a grand palace, "The Taj Mahal", in Delhi - completely ignoring that we already have a grand palace here. Whatever would I need an extra palace for? To park my elephant? The fool was summarily dismissed and sterilized as were his aristocratic backers. Don't allow such stupidity to breed. On the more martial issues, Second Scientist finally had his chance, when he triumphantly annexed Korea in 1632 - just to see it reappear one province to the North, split from China, two years later. That's what I call conquest. Ha! The main war against China and Manchu went better, though. Shangai, the Chinese Northern Centre of Trade was taken in 1633, and their Southern Centre of Trade defected to us in 1638. Things were truly looking good, when 1640 came around. Wait a moment, I've got a map from the Chinese wars somewhere. Right.

Geography Far East, 1637, including new northern Korea
528447316.jpg

1640 was a bad year all things considered. There was so much unhappiness amongst the peasantry, that revolt risks soared in all provinces (thank Allah, that the ALU keeps me updated on those!), the increase was estimated at +5%. And this was during the fourth year of a war. Bad timing. Even worse, the Russians, a somewhat backwards nation, though with better military technology than us, had finally conquered the Golden Horde, Sibir, Astrakhan, Nogai, and part of the Uzbekh Kaganate... And was now on our border. Our nearly defenseless Northern border, to be precise. To make up for this, the Chinese, seeing the end approach, increased taxes dramatically - causing instant massive revolts - and these revolters broke our sieges of the Chinese provinces. And they kept revolting and toppling their government for decades! And our stupid diplomatic service insisted on making peace with each new government making Chinese conquest nearly impossible! Fortunately for my peace of mind, we grabbed an additional four Manchu province and annexed Korea (again) in the end of the year, so 1640 wasn't a complete writeoff, but still. And those damn Nipponese kept interfering with our wars. This was one of the main reasons that I authorized grants for nautical research. Another reason was the hope that we could make more people leave for the colonies with more ships. And a third reason was that the empire was growing too huge to depend on movement through deserts and mountains. Nope, a stronger navy was the way to go." - Chief Scientist: Dialogues LXI

"...Leaving the generals to command the eastern armies, I hastened to the west to lend my immense talents to the war effort. The Uzbekh Kaganate was no longer useful as a buffer zone, and the Russians were close to the old capital of Samarkand. Through my innovative strategies and brilliant tactical knowledge, the First Russian war (1642-1644) gained us the provinces of Bouzatchi, Kuraba, Az, Turkmenistan and Irtych, and Kwarizu, Kliva and Kara Kum from the Uzbekhs. At this time the Ottomans were hurting our allies more than usual, so I decided to intervene. My penetrating insights into their so-called empire told me, that Antolya was the secret to their success. Anatolya was where they marshalled their armies. Thus it was that I directed the armies to capture Anatolya and Thrace, the Ottoman capital. And as I wanted, so was it, and I took Anatolya for peace in February 1647. In the meantime, the Manchu had taken most of China, but China chose to fight on in the south, in their three remaining provinces. The eastern generals managed to take even more Manchu provinces, but failed to deminish China, because the government fell. Their sense of fair play will see them disembowelled some day soon." - Excerpt from "Second Scientist: All Quiet on the Eastern Front"

Geography North, 1644
892525877.jpg

"Burn Heretic, Burn." - Unofficial motto of the Order of the Lamp Martial

Geography West, 1647
857642861.jpg

"...I am pleased to tell you, Chief Scientist, that we have converted many provinces to the true sunny faith by now. The torches are a very cost-efficient implement, and I am happy to inform you that research continues on an improved version, the TorchU2. Second, Second Scientist informs us that the empire now comprises approximately 165 provinces, 19 colonies, and two trading posts. Thirdly, the ALU report on trade just came in...three years delayed. I blame those young smartasses of the jeune ecole and their war games.", said the Bursar.

ALU report update 1644
Economy:
Centres of trade (total value, sorted by):
-986, Delhi, complete monopoly
-888, Malacca, complete monopoly
-557, Guangzhou, complete monopoly
-473, Isfahan, complete monopoly
-261, Mascate
-260, Zanzibar
-199, Shanghai, complete monopoly
-198, Samarkand

Annual income: Missing data
Monthly income: 614
Monthly expenses: 74
Stability raising time: 3 months
Inflation: 0%

"War games?", asked the Chief Scientist.

"Yes, one of them reasoned out that since we were already feeding the ALU with all relevant information, and since the FPU was doing so well, it might be possible to predict possible future happenings based on events that have not actually taken place yet. He calls it a simulation. Right now they are all busy playing Mughal Universalis. It is a very simple simulation, it can't even simulate domestic policies or the influence of culture, but still they keep on playing it", replied the Bursar scornfully.

"Well, so long as they are playing their games, they aren't scheming to take our places, or grab our grants. But this bears looking into. On other matters, have you heard from the generals concerning our invasion of Nippon? I once knew this Nipponese fisherman, you see..."

To be continued.

NB: It is not too late for ALU feedback. (See previous post). Especially a reason for the conquest of Kola from Russia (1704) and Liguria from Venice (1714). This is conquest by patchwork I am indulging in. I am so looking forward to the Collapse of the Mughal Empire event :D

I'm really enjoying this, some good borderline-insane writing. :cool:

Kola? Never mind how you got it; surely the current 10% loss of income due to noncontiguity makes conquering the rest of Russia the only rational course.

Wow, this is amazing! I truly regret not having read this aar earlier. This is perhaps the wittiest AAR I have ever read, simply fabulous. I might later contribute an ALU feedback, but for now I am busy being in awe of this AAR :)

Sometimes other AARs are of such quality that one is embarrassed that someone might accidentally see their own AAR and find them horribly wanting by comparison. These, of course, are the only ones worth reading.
:)

I would like to thank you for ruining my evening. I was meaning to skim some entries and ended up reading the whole damned thing.

As for what you should do next, I personally find New World involvement a tedious distraction. And I mean really, France is just begging to be slapped around.

But whatever you do, I'll probably read it. But don't post too quickly because I'd like to be productive from time to time; I could use the breaks in between.

EF1

Now where did I put that piece of paper? Oh yes. Here it is.

I have here a secret document that was obtained at very high risk (and the expense of several plebes' lives) from the military headquarters in Mosow. It appears that the Russian monarchy is considering an end-run on the Mughal Empire by marching down the Siberian corridor and attacking you from there.

Just htought you'd like to know.

(Oh, there's also some evidence of Ottoman and French collusion.)

Great update. Truely one of the best AARs I've ever read.

Thanks for the encouraging replies, it really keeps one wanting to keep on writing (in those peaceful 15 second interludes between rebellions).

- Carligula: Good point about the lost profit. I'll notify the Bursar. But borderline-insane? I'll have you know I crossed that border long ago... Nothing like knowing what is on the other side :D

- Sharur: Thank you. Feedback will be appreciated.

- Edgar Francis I: It was my pleasure to ruin the evening. And France will get slapped. Hard. But they are strong, very strong, both in the old, and the new world, so... It will take some time. Thank God that they like sending armies to seige Kola. (I will never understand the AI)
- Wasa: Read some more AARs, then. :)

- Hardshard: Unseen University? Are you implying that I might be even in the slightest hmmm. inspired by the venerable Discworld novels by that master of humerous fantasy, Terry Pratchett... Considering I admitted as much in another thread, you probably are - and right too. But no mass breakup or massive declarations of independence will be tolerated, except in case of student pranks.

- Rictus: Sure, read the interlude from 1000 acs. It is every locals right to revolt (after conquest) and be slaughtered for his efforts or reabsorbed. Sure they will get a chance. :D

- MrT: On behalf of the ALU, let me thank you once again. Those dastardly plans must be foiled, their originators executed, their cities razed, and their empires annexed. Well, just a recommendation really.

Next installment coming within 50 hours from now. (RL func.spec. writing for new games takes its toll.)

Yup. Pure genius this is. I've blown an hour at work!

ALU input:

Counter Russian Strength by limiting its growth. It can only expand Eastward, therefore expanding from the Pacific Westaward, or cutting them off from exploring further is desireable!

Installment the sixth

The Timurid Scientists: The Ottoman Gambit and the Panda Revenant

"...Those dastardly Ottomans. What a truly evil plan to hatch. And Second Scientist walked right into the ambush. He was so pleased that the Ottomans offered a couple of tradingposts along with Anatolya, that he accepted them on the spot. A couple of tradingposts in Africa. One moment Africa is this Dark Continent I couldn't care less for, the next it is an international hot spot, as the twenty traders in the two tradingposts change employers, and the African nations declared war. Right, as if three seperate wars against Ethipoia, Nubia, Zanj, and Zimbabwe, were what we needed. Silly wars waste diplomats!" - Chief Scientist: Dialogues LXII

"...And as 1647 drew to a close the Eastern Mughal armies under the command of Hojo Bubu, a retired fisherman turned general, were transported to Nippon. The sails of the invasion fleet were countless and covered the horizon with a sheen of Mughal purple. As the fleet landed troops in Kansai, Kanto, and Ezochi, the Nipponese counterattacked on the beaches. But it availed them naught. After the initial bloody battles all of Nippon was under siege: The matchless Samurai had met their match in the superior Mughal armies. Outgeneralled, outnumbered, and with traditional weapons against the modern weapons of the Mughal armies, the Nipponese were lost. Hojo Bubu took Ezochi, Shikoku, and Kansai for peace in September 1649, and sent out the call for the Order of the Lamp Martial. The battles had claimed the lives of two Shoguns and four Daimyos, who had never learned how to retreat. Officially his armies numbered 40,000 infantry and 80,000 cavalry, but since he took to enrolling Nipponese peasants and ronin to strengthen his armies, the actual size will probably never be known. What is known is, that despite ferocious fighting, the new Shogun waged war again in 1652 in alliance with Manchu, which cost him Tohuku and his life. Despite occasional rebellions Nippon had received a mortal wound. A desperate attempt to reclaim the lost territory during the Chinese wars of 1655-1658 cost Nippon Kyushu. With the Daimyos now on his side, more or less, Hojo Bubu formally annexed Nippon in 1661. He was to remain a formidable ally, an admirable administrator (though with a penchant for fish-similies), and an excellent Shogun. During his life the Order of the Lamp Martial remained active in Nippon. Though Kansai quickly converted, Hojo Bubu was not to see the Sunnification of Nippon during his lifetime, as the Sunnification was not completed until 1711, many years after his death." - Excerpt from "Mighty Mughals: Hojo Bubu

"...Of course I remember 1649! A truly exceptional year. Apart from a few incidental rebellions, and the loss of an army or two, everything seemed to be progressing according to our desires. I also shelled out the pocket money needed to build a massive shipyard in Kutch. Lampwise the year was something of a disappointment, but my own financial research into the nature and the causes of the wealth of nations proceded apace." - Excerpt from "Bursarial Trove of Wisdom Revealed"

"...My western campaign went according to my superior plans, which to be honest came as no surprise to me. I am the most intelligent person around, after all. Thus the gradual conquest of the Khazak Horde encountered no significant problems and no significant losses. I was somewhat pleased by the actions of the eastern armies. Hojo Bubu was busy conquering Nippon, while some of the unnamed (and fairly irrelevant) ordinary generals were chopping up Manchu. To be sure, at one time revolts averaged at seven pr. month, mainly because of war weariness, but who cares, really? That's what the rebel-crushers are for anyway. A fact not lost on the inhabitants of Shanxi, who spontaneously converted in 1651. And this may actually have been spontaneous, since no stories of exemplary torchings were told, as is usually the case. I was also quite pleased with Chief Scientist, who finally began a project of military research. By the time of the annexation of the Khazak Horde, 1655, the army had been issued spiffy new uniforms evaluated at land tech 16 by the ALU. The Lame Panda of the East, China, was finally overtaken in stupidity as the strong Russian Empire pretended to be a Chinese vassal. Riiight. China, whose government falls every two years or so as overlord of Russia? Give me a break. What an obvious ploy. I, of course didn't fall for it, and after some prompting, neither did my generals. Thus China was reduced to an island capital in 1658, following infantry assaults upon their five other remaining provinces. Losses were within acceptable parameters at 180,000 or so, I mean it is not as if it is hard to find new goons to sign up, is it? I have a map showing the three remaining dummies of the east, somewhere...

Map of the three remaining dummies, 1658. (Chinese dummy on southern island)
142662095.jpg

Then in 1659 the Chinese Ming dynasty came to an end, and Manchu promptly annexed China, thus doubling their territory. Of course they had no ships and no avenue of communication save by mail through Mughal territory, but they considered themselves a viable state anyhow. What a bunch of idiots." - Excerpt from "Second Scientist: All Quiet on the Eastern Front"

"... We finally reached trade level 5 in 1656, which caused an immediate increase in the research grant, well, ok, in my research grant. But fair is fair. I make all these hard decisions, so I ought to be compensated, right? Of course I am right. The loss of the Khan in 1657 while inspecting the torture chambers was unexpected. I knew he wasn't the brightest kid on the block, and I knew of his amorous excesses with hmm. unusual participants, but attempting to rape an Iron Maiden is taking things a step too far! Sheep, yes. Well, we all understand about sheep. But an Iron Maiden? Pure folly. Though it did cause him to utter the memorable last words "I'm gonna impale that frigid bitch, and I won't take no for an answer!" Come to think of it, this is a good case in point for my "don't let stupidity breed" theory, though I had never expected it to be so messily demonstrated. Anyhow, we gave out the usual story, you know, the Khan died peacefully in his sleep following prayers, but still! Hmmm. Where was I? Oh, yes, Aurangzïb, right... The new Khan was Aurangzïb, and he did quite well, all things considered. But apart from the wars and revolts these were really quiet years of contemplation. In fact, some of the Marathi grew so contemplative, that they considered reinstating Hinduism, and rose in a coordinated revolt. What I did? Well, let us put it this way: There was nothing left but dust and fundamentalists when they had been crushed. Ok, some of the fundamentalists managed to assassinate a noble before they were crushed, but nobles come and go, so who cares? Compared to my diplomatic initiatives these incidents are not worth mentioning. I mean, I invited Qara Koyunlu and Ak Koyunlu to stop being vassals and join us as equals as a reward for their faithful alliance, and they were so happy. Their greatest wish had come true. So they joined the empire in 1661. I am a big softy, really, always helping the needy. Here's the map to prove it.

Map of the Mughal Empire, west, 1661
471038986.jpg

Our research in infrastructure was also really paying off in those years, gaining us a solid 10% boost to infrastructure income, you now, improved sheep, inflatable judges, and so on. People really appreciated that, and especially the jobs opportunities, as I ordered the construction of a great many goods manufactories. I guess we built nineteen over the next decade or so. Apart from a nasty wave of obscuratism which hit our shores, the financial weather forecast was bright and sunny, like our religion. With a slightly more narrowminded wordview than previous, the exquisitors of the Order of the Lamp Martial were really getting fired up about their work. They were shit-hot, really, carrying that spark of conviction to the heretics and infidels, and, quite frequently, their houses as well. Things were going pretty well, with naval enthusiasm because of our new shipyard in Kutch, and some very nice gifts to the state, when a meteor was seen in the skies in February 1667. The wars at the time were going fairly well, but the peasantry saw it as a sign of doom. Dummies! Meteors are completely normal phenomena, like rains of fish, or stigmata? Why such a nonsensical reaction? Some of my less distinguished colleagues tried to draw a connection between the meteor sighting and the revolt and independence of a three province China consisting of Kowloon, Fujian, and Shandong (the capital). The lame Panda reared its silly head again. I pity such FOOLS! Anyhow, we annexed Manchu and retook Kowloon and Fujian the next year, so who cares?" - Chief Scientist: Dialogues LXII

"...It was well known that Aurangzïb had very intolerant views on religion - especially others. Thus it is to his credit, that he heeded his advisors and chose to be tolerant, for the good of the Empire. Not that he didn't attempt to spread the true Sunni faith, of course, but rather that he did not persecute those as yet unconverted. But then, he needed his political capital elsewhere. Following the earlier easy wars with Russia, Russia had finally managed to field a real army in 1669. As hundreds of thousands of Orthodox fanatics swarmed into the but newly conquered provinces, Aurangzïb lost army upon army, in a desperate attempt to stave of the tide. After atrocious losses in the snow, the tide began to turn in 1670, but the Mughal armies were seriously depleted. The neutral peace settlement of 1670 can thus be seen as a marginal victory for the empire. Rebuilding the armies took a few years, in which great advances were made in military technology, so when France declared war 1673, the Mughal empire stood ready. Fortunately, France was less so. With their armies already marching, the French monarch commisioned the building of a huge palace, the Versailles, causing state bankruptcy. The war went badly for the French. Slowly, but steadily, the Empire was advancing on Europe proper. Meanwhile in Africa, war broke out again, caused by the presence of a Mughal tradingpost, recently ceded by the Ottoman Empire, close to Zanj. But Aurangzïb had had enough. The Omani fleet ferried forces into Zanj and took everything but the capital in two years. Zanj was annexed shortly afterwards, in 1680. Also during these years China was reannexed in 1674." - Excerpt from "Mighty Mughals: Aurangzïb"

"...I remember the Sikh Guru. Since I had no doctor on hand, I had him executed. It's amazing which misunderstandings can arise from a speech impediment in one's underlings, actually. Those were the days. Every ducat earned went into reseach, and our trade centres made the government filthy rich, I kid you not. Thus we reached trade level 6 in April 1676 and infrastructure level 7 in November 1678, only slightly interrupted by the unrest caused when some of the nobles allied with a foreign power. This time it was Ethipia, and but were the Ethiopians to regret that alliance of convenience. I remember 1679 particularly well, along with 1680, really because Second Scientist fucked up, again. he had carefully not claimed Azerbaijan from France leaving it in a state of revolt and surrounded by the Empire and the Mamelukes, obviously expecting them to defect. Well, they did so - to the Mamelukes in 1679, though the Mamelukes were Shia. And 1680? That's when he signed yet another peace agreement with the Ottomans, receiving the rebuilt Ottoman tradingpost of Imhambane, and you know how that goes. Zimbabwe, Zanj, Ethiopia &etc declared war. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, my name is Second Scientist. AARGHCHH! Fortunately for my peace of mind, the maps were turning purple, slowly but steadily.

The western provinces, 1680
200549598.jpg

Ok, let's be fair to Second Scientist. He did great work in the island hopping war with Venice of 1680-1684 while simultaneously conquering most of Ethiopia. He ignored the rising war exhaustion, the lowered stability due to the scandalous assassination of a noble and those pesky peasants petitions for redress and took a small 13 warship fleet hopping from island to island controlled by Venice. Unfortunately the seventy thousand men in Venice proper prevented him from invading their capital. And he happened to forget the Mameluke alliance, so their declaration of war in 1685 must be considered his fault as well. He finally settled for only two Venetian provinces to close down one front, but as war exhaustion passed the 6% mark in 1686, revolts were getting close to getting out of hand, at 10-11% in non-sunni provinces. As combat losses escalated, it was hard to retain the nominal army size of 800,000 men. As the Mameluke war dragged on througout the waves of obscuratism of 1686-1687, losses due to revolts were putting an undue strain on the ability to replenish the western losses. So even though the Mamelukes only lost two provinces in the peace settlement of 1686, peace was welcomed. At this time I noticed, that we had a back-log of some forty unconverted provinces, and notified the bursar. As we were drawn ever more into contact with the European powers, I decided, unanimously, to do some serious military research to gain us pearity, at the very least. I also started reducing the quality of our military training. Previously we had lost about 50% of our recruits due to natural causes through their training. At the cost of a slightly more incompetent military, on average, I made plans to reduce losses to 40%, meaning an effective increase of 20% of our manpower pool. After all, training counts for very little when you are freezing to death in Russia, but numbers mean a whole lot more. And it paid off. Ethipia was annexed in March 1688, Nubia lost three provinces in 1690, and Russia lost ten colonies and tradingposts in 1691. I've got a map of this somewhere... Right.

Advancing on Russia, 1691
997239009.jpg

- Chief Scientist: Dialogues LXXXIV

"As I understand it, Bursar, the Order has hitherho attempted to convert provinces in the following order:
1) Centres of trade
2) Ex-capitals
3) Order of population, largest first
Right?", the Chief Scientist asked the Bursar.

"Yes. That is the modus operandi."

"And you see no problems with this?"

"None whatsoever."

"And the fact that the third priority minimizes the chance of success?"

"Immaterial. When succesful, it is just so much better."

"But they usually fail, right?"

"Yes."

"And this doesn't cause you to rethink your position?"

"No...."

"And the fact that we have several minority religions, whose disappearance would render administration and rebel control much easier?"

"Has never crossed my mind, sir!"

"I see, Bursar, I see. So this is what we will do, Bursar. Conversion targeting must be as follows:
1) Centres of trade (we really don't want rebellions to disturbe these)
2) Ex-capitals (and independence movements are even worse)
3) Religious minorities (the fewer religions the better)
4) Order of population, smallest first (to maximize chance of conversion)."

"Urrgh. I mean, thy will be done, Chief Scientist"

ALU report religious minorities
Comprehensible religions
Shia: 2
Orthodox: 11
Catholic: 1

Incomprehensible religions
Buddhist: 3
Konfucian: 35
Hindu: 1

"...I thank Allah that I finally managed to convert Shanghai. Finally converted in the fifth try in July 1695, at a total cost of more than 12,000 ducats, it showed my plan was right from the beginning. But Chief Scientist demands, and we mortals obey. So I ordered the Order to crack down on Shia moslems. They got plenty of targets following the peace with the Mamelukes in December 1694, when they gave up seven provinces."- Excerpt from "I made $$$$ fast"

The Purple menace, 1694
173867267.jpg

"...Bursar! Call the Scientists, young and old, thin and thick, insane and merily eccentric, to conclave, to the gathering, to the party of the century, for it is time to decide upon our future course of actions. I will have the ALU compile a report upon the states of Europe, and need I mention that it will be mandatory reading? Get to it, Bursar! Get to it."

To be continued.

ALU feedback: conquer the rest of the world ;)

Since you've already got half, it shouldn't be too hard :D

This is usually the point at which great aars involving world conquest deteriorate, but not this one. Great stuff! :)

Those screenshots are creepy. Like the old anti-communist propaganda films that showed inky Marxism spilling across western Europe.

And now the Purple Peril has crossed the Bosporus and infected Europe. I feel no pity for them. I warned them not to eat the kebabs.

EF1

Now there's a mental image you don't have every day: "raping an iron maiden". Ouch! :D

I'm so impressed that you're able to keep up the intensity and interest. Realy fantastic work.

Interlude: Assassination 101

The shadows thickened as the waning moon was obscured by the increasingly heavy cloud-cover. Through the eerily quiet streets they strode. They were clothed and booted in black. Their weapons had been painted black. Their faces, hands, and eyeballs were boot-blacked. They were men with a mission, Paladins of the night, the Knights of Mist and Shadows.

They climbed the palace walls and entered the palace. They had excellent intelligence and had memorized the building plan. They had practised the actual assault in a secret training camp in Afghanistan. And they were primed to fulfill their destiny.

The doomed guards at the bedroom door never knew what hit them, which is not so strange, since the Quack mk I, a 15kg portable duck-firing siege crossbow was a new invention, a dreadful step forwards in the arms race.

The world held its' breath as the assassins silently glided into the bedroom, past the workdesk and fullsize mirror and over the bedroom carpet, and saw the figure lying in the bed, funky nightcap on his head, rabbit-slippers on the floor, they knew a moment of trepidation. Could the moment truly have come to end the centuries of tyranny? Would the tyrant fall to the blades of the just? The atmosphere was doomladen.

"Not likely, dummies,", chuckled the Chief Scientist to himself as he remotely detonated the explosives interwoven with the fabric of his bedroom carpet, "not likely".

As the screams grew fainter a truly evil expression passed briefly across the friendly face of the Chief Scientist. Upon brief consideration it returned and lodged there for a while. And Chief Scientist whispered menacingly: "My favourite slippers gone! I'll make Second Scientist rue the day he was hatched!"

Next installment coming up this weekend. The Purple Menace spreads!