• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Therev!

Glad I caught the change in title -- somewhat by chance, but that's okay. :D

Interesting developments! Love the character interaction.

Rensslaer

Splendid update, therev. You have quite a knack for leaving us wondering and wanting.

Vann

What a superb story, just read all of it up to now and was a little dissapointed that i reached the most recent update already, kinda hoped for another 10 pages to read still. ;)

1 thing im quite sure of, youre a talented writer, talented enough to write a novel that would be published and sell like cakes.

As to the story, from the moment David had incriminating evidence on Dewey i knew things would get tough in the good old USA, the storey demanded it.But how then? Then again "sir" Ogilvy already made a public appearance with Liz, something that undoutebly will have reached the press.Could be a longshot but i have a sneaking suspicion that one of those pictures taken there may come to haunt him at home.

therev: ...By the time breakfast was over, both Liz and Josh had come to a resolution of sorts. They would be civil to each other and make the most of a difficult situation.

perhaps someone among the powers that be thought to bring these two together to resolve their differences? ? ;)

therev: ...“Who said this is a babysitting tour?” countered Julia. “Trust me, this is no, how do you Americans say it? Cakerun?”

no doubt, this will NOT be a cakewalk! ! :D

stnylan: ...I wonder..is it safe for David to return (to Amerika.) Given how things are going back home might he not just be clapped into jail? Can't wait to see what happens.

as the fiance of Liz, David should be safe, even in Dewey's Amerika... ;) i suspect that the American people would not allow an insult to Liz... for one thing, if needed, Liz could ask for "her papers" (the damaging papers) and then those papers are protected under rights of diplomacy. :D

again, i suspect that someone among the powers that be is sending David back to America under these circumstances to protect him long enough to accomplish "his mission"... :D

and, you are NOT the only one who can't wait...

Vann the Red: Splendid update, therev. You have quite a knack for leaving us wondering and wanting.

you .. you .. you .. understater ! ! ! :wacko: ;)

David sat in the royal carriage upon a rather uncomfortable lounge chair. As he stared out the window watching the countryside slide pass, he attempted to review the startling information he had just received.

Julia’s revelations made him examine the countryside with a new intensity. There were active communist partisan groups out there. Their targets, not only military but societal – there was a steady loss of various high officials and aristocrats. Sheffield was a major centre of this underground activity. And the only line open to the north.

The train would be stopping briefly in Derby to pick up a flatbed with an AA gun and crew, and a squad of commandoes seconded by MI6 for the trip. So far the train had made good time. But according to Julia, delays could be expected due to bombed bridges and lines.

He couldn’t quite believe all this, and was keen for the train to get them up north to Inverness.

“Bloody hell!””

David turned to see Josh fuming. He smiled. “Liz not cooperating?”

“Look, she might be the heir apparent, but she has got to learn to take orders!” Josh was fit to burst. “Who does she think she is? I give a reasonable order and she do? She laughs and tells me to go play with my little tin soldiers!”

David’s smile turned into a laugh. “Josh, Josh! Calm down! You know you can’t treat her like any old recruit.” David turned thoughtful, “Here’s an idea, think of her as a superior officer who hasn’t got a clue. After all she is your superior officer isn’t she?”

“Dammit! You’re right! And I will do as you say. But this isn’t as simple a duty as I thought it would be.” As Josh sat down on a chair opposite, David noticed he was wearing his sidearm. Becoming aware of David’s attention, Josh cautioned “If you have a side arm, I suggest you start wearing it. I would repack your duffel and be ready for anything. That’s what I was telling her high and mightiness!”

Standing, David nodded his agreement, and as he made his way back toward the sleeping compartments he said “I’ll go check how Liz is going and encourage her to do as you say.”

“Thanks David. I owe you one.” Josh replied.

As David passed the Royal bedchamber, he noticed both the girls packing valises with clothes. “Morning ladies” he called, and slipped passed before they could respond.

Arriving at his cabin, David lifted down his duffle bag and pulled out his sidearm and holster. Drawing his colt from its holster he quickly chambered a bullet, made sure the safety was on and dug into a side pocket for his ammo. Two boxes, “That ought to be enough” he grunted to himself. Loading an extra bullet gave him eight shots. Pocketing the boxes, he buckled his holster on and holding his gun, feeling the texture of the double diamond rosewood grip, he murmured “You’ve seen me through a whole mess of trouble, so don’t let me down now!”

To anyone watching it nearly seemed that he was talking to a living thing.

Placing the colt into his holster, David left the room and went to rejoin Josh.

Last edited:
Very much a sense of being besieged. I imagine, giving everything going on, those precautions will be sadly put to the test in some way or another.

And the ambiance moves from light-hearted to ominous. Well done. Has David considered that the information and documentation he has been provided may be false? He's the perfect conduit for misinformation given his standing and feelings about Dewey.

On a second note, forgive my ignorance, but could you (or anyone) define "subconded" for me? A quick web search didn't satisfy my curiousity. I suspect this is another instance of Churchill's famous line about two great peoples separated by a common language...

Vann

Vann the Red said:
And the ambiance moves from light-hearted to ominous. Well done. Has David considered that the information and documentation he has been provided may be false? He's the perfect conduit for misinformation given his standing and feelings about Dewey.

On a second note, forgive my ignorance, but could you (or anyone) define "subconded" for me? A quick web search didn't satisfy my curiousity. I suspect this is another instance of Churchill's famous line about two great peoples separated by a common language...

Vann

I quite agree Vann!

I think it might be a typo, but I will check my OED ( Tomorrow, Now, I am going to bed) And dream of a Virginia gnetleman in Queen Elizabeth;s court...

Julia. Now which historic character might she be?

Great tale. I eagerly await more.

DW

therev: ...Julia’s revelations made him examine the countryside with a new intensity. There were active communist partisan groups out there. Their targets were not only military but societal – there was a steady loss of various high officials and aristocrats. Sheffield was a major centre of this underground activity. And the only line open to the north.

that certainly brings the complications into focus! ! ;)

therev: ...“Here’s an idea, think of her as a superior officer who hasn’t got a clue. After all she is your superior officer isn’t she?”

magnificent ! ! :D

therev: ...“You’ve seen me through a whole mess of trouble, so don’t let me down now!”

that is something i would do! ! :rolleyes:

awesome update! ! :cool:

Van the Red said:

Vann

Dead William said:
I quite agree Vann!

I think it might be a typo, but I will check my OED ( Tomorrow, Now, I am going to bed) And dream of a Virginia gnetleman in Queen Elizabeth;s court...

DW

Doh! What a doofus I am!!! Thankyou gentlemen, the proper term is SECONDED.

A search of the net assured me there were plenty of other doofuses to keep me company, who can't remember the correct word!

I will edit immediately!

Just wondering (sorry if this has been asked) but are you playing a real game here (regardless it's an excellent piece of writing though.

therev: Doh! What a doofus I am!!! Thank you gentlemen, the proper term is SECONDED.

sorry, but i am not familiar with seconded, either. does that mean the same as selected? ? :confused:

and, you ain't no doofus. if we was perfect, then we would not be here! ! :cool:

GeneralHannibal: ...are you playing a real game here...

therev: (post 15) ...Once I start the game (for the purposes of writing the AAR) I will post a map - in fact I will give you an overview of the whole world and how it got to be as it is!...

;)

GeneralHannibal said:
Just wondering (sorry if this has been asked) but are you playing a real game here (regardless it's an excellent piece of writing though.

The idea came from a game I played last year (HoI 2 saved game Dec 30 1948) The actual story is more the lead up to the resumption of the saved game.

I have decided thought to do it in HoI DD and fiddle the situation somewhat to reasonably match the state of play in my HoI2 game.

The "Historical" events are based on game elements.

therev said:
The idea came from a game I played last year (HoI 2 saved game Dec 30 1948) The actual story is more the lead up to the resumption of the saved game.

I have decided thought to do it in HoI DD and fiddle the situation somewhat to reasonably match the state of play in my HoI2 game.

The "Historical" events are based on game elements.

Must have been an interesting game, so you intend to create it again.

This is very interesting. A good story and an original concept. :)

Mettermrck said:
Good stuff, therev! Screenies? :eek:o

I am getting lazy I admit! I keep collecting the perfect pics for the AAR and then its all too much trouble! :eek:o

I will try and edit in some pics.... I will! ....sigh.... who am I kidding! :wacko:

Maybe I will do an update of all the pics I have collected thus far! :rolleyes:

therev: ...Maybe I will do an update of all the pics I have collected thus far! :rolleyes:

sounds good to me! ! :cool:

As the train entered the outskirts of Leicester, forward movement came in fits and starts. It seemed there had been a raid the night before and crews were out clearing rubble from tracks and repairing the line.

Liz and Julia got into a fight over the security arrangements. Liz insisted that the train detach the royal carriages, and that she and Julia transfer to a normal sleeper compartment. Josh got involved agreeing with Liz, and so Julia backed down.

Liz informed her servants and support staff to disembark and make their way back to London. But her chef, Pierre Savoy, a French national, formally the owner and top chef at Le Fouquet's had other ideas.

“Pierre, iss noh cowaard!” he exclaimed, brandishing one of his knives. “Zees Comuniste baarstaards drove me from my ‘ome, they will not do eet again!” His republican portly stature quivered with indignation that an English princess would even dare to suggest he leave her side.

“Anyways,” he continued, “oo else makes the crepe’s the way you like, mon cherie?”

And so it was settled. And it seemed the train was moving faster without the extra carriages, but David knew that was just his imagination. It was early evening as the train pulled into Derby.

The station was a hive of activity. Going south was a troop transport, and the news was disturbing. Shots had been fired at the train. One soldier had been hit, though not seriously. Discussion was fierce amongst the troops about the army declaring martial law in the Sheffield district.

As David watched the activity, he became aware of Josh by his side. “Who would have thought!” Josh dragged on his cigarette “that I would have found myself agreeing with my cousin. Wonders will never cease.” He laughed. “There we were both arguing with Julia, and we both realised at the same time that we were in agreement!”

David smiled. “Liz is a fine woman, and will be a great Queen. I just hope here injuries are repairable.”

Josh bristled. “They had better be!”

“Josh?” David asked, “Why are we stuck on this bloody train? This is a high priority isn’t it? Why not a plane or at least a car?”

Josh sighed. “Trains we can do – coal we have. Its oil that’s in short supply.” Any oil is for our planes and ships. This is important,“ he continued earnestly, “but our air and sea defence is even more important.”

As the newly configured train began its run up through Sheffield to Inverness, everyone was on high alert. The troops on flatbeds with the sandbagged AA guns at front and back were checking their equipment and keeping a close eye on the passing terrain. The commandos whom Josh seemed to know by name, were checking out defensive positions and lines of fire.

As the train picked up speed, David unclipped his holster and started to think through the various scenarios of what might happen and how he would react.