• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
UncleIstvan1111 said:
Hey, I love the depth inherent in these background articles- I haven't seen another AAR from the perspective of a major power that even mentions smaller countries like Greece. It's that sort of depth of research that makes us all tolerate your slower-than-real-time updating speed.
On a note that only I notice, you missed the last update to the table of contents.

I do like the attention to detail. But in this case I sympathize with the pains Pip had to work through just for Greece. But I'd want him to give his best for my country to if the tables were turned. So in the end I'm still an equal-opportunity guy.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Arilou - Possibly true, but then I remember that the original head of airforce in the PA government is a left leaning ex-Prime Minister who's only aerial qualification is fleeing into exile in a plane. So incompetence is involved somehow, we're just arguing over the extent.

Plus the wording of the event is unusual given what happens; "We have experienced a right wing coup d'etat" - then Greece becomes more left wing. As its a Greek specific event the least they could do is get the words right!

Faeelin - So many options for Turkey, I think many sides will be courting them, either to join them or to stay neutral.

C&D - I could of done it that short but it seemed a bit... well lazy. If I'm going to introduce problems in the region I probably should give some backstory, particularly because if I made it up no-one would believe it. :)

UncleIstvan1111 - Thank you sir, it's how I justify to myself as well.

Derek Pullem - Turkey does have to be cautious, a great many powers will be interested in working with her, but only as a distraction not out of any common interest. Any deal will probably be dependant on Turkey doing something, brutally speaking a mutal defence pact is functionally useless to most European powers, bar getting said power an extra commitment in the Middle East.

scubadoobie2 - Rhodes does provide a secondary choke point, no use Soviet shipping getting through the Dardanelles just to run into a Royal Navy blockade. Of course there are many sides who covet the islands, Italy (obviously), Greece (obviously) and Turkey (if only to annoy Greece ;) ).

Karelian - Bulgaria has many claims and fingers in almost every pie in the region. While the Bulgarian army may not be the most impressive, its certainly big enough to tip the balance in most regional conflicts. That said the pitfalls are as numerous as the opportunities.

C&D - I do worry I've set a precedent there, I'm just hoping Dutch/Belgian history of the period isn't that complex. Initial research says no, baring some interesting Dutch economic foibles, so I'm hopeful things will be shorter next update.

Reactions:
Arilou - Possibly true, but then I remember that the original head of airforce in the PA government is a left leaning ex-Prime Minister who's only aerial qualification is fleeing into exile in a plane. So incompetence is involved somehow, we're just arguing over the extent.

Plus the wording of the event is unusual given what happens; "We have experienced a right wing coup d'etat" - then Greece becomes more left wing. As its a Greek specific event the least they could do is get the words right!

The same template is used for a lot of countries, actually. In fact, there are tons of weird coups like that scattered through the files that have results that seems contrary to their description. I'm fairly certain they are mostly there to get the various countries to align with the right alliance. (there are a few especially weird ones in South America ex.)

Reactions:
Atlantic Friend said:
Pippy, at some point you should teach History, if you don't already.

Teach it?!? He WRITES it! :D

Reactions:
I stumbled upon this AAR a couple of months ago (after stumbling upon the forum itself) and was very impressed. Needless to say, its taken a number of sporadic revisits over the weeks, but I've finally caught up! The quality of your work is superb. This AAR is truly poetic, El Pip, and deserves all the distinguishment it's achieved thus far.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've been following this AAR for a while as a guest and now since I'm registered I can leave a comment, this is a great AAR and I can't wait for more. Love how El Pip says its the slowest updating AAR. Anyways Good luck in the future and I'll be looking forward to the next update whenever it is.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Atlantic Friend - Oh hush, such praise is obviously undeserved. Don't stop obviously, I do like it, but I'm just a hairy arsed engineer and terrible with kids. Teaching would end badly for me I'm sure.

Arilou - Now I check I concede you are correct. Never ascribe to malice that which you can ascribe to incompetent, particularly Swedish incompetence.

Duritz - History will be kind to me, for I am writing it. That's why the AAR ends with me being declared King of England. And the Moon.
ja_zps42369c2d.gif

TheHyphenated1 - Your too kind sir. Slowly working my way through your own tome, alas my time is very short at the moment. :(

The Doc - Thank you very much, rest assured that now you've caught up there is almost no danger of falling behind again. I hope I can maintain such high standards going forward.

SovietSoldier - Everyone must be proud of something, as the awards have fallen off somewhat these last few quarters I'm forced to claim the only available award - slowest updating. It's not much I confess, but it is mine. :)

Right the Western Europe update is being assembled, French domestic politics is confusing me somewhat at the moment (the shear number of strikes means I struggle to work out which ones were serious and which weren't). Worse I'm off on holiday this Friday and there's a beer festival on this week so frankly I think it'll be at least ~12 days before anything turns up. Sorry for the bad news but there you go.

Last edited:
Reactions:
mmmmmmmmmm... Beer. :cool:

Delays are totally understandable... Priorities are right placed in this scenario.

Although, I will point out that the rest of us are not necessarily blessed with a beer festival in our neighborhood, and your update was the only thing that was going to get us through... :mad:

That settles it. All of your readAARs are going to have to begin their own impromtu beer festivals of their own to get through this rough time. I think mine will seem fairly sad in retrospect... Just me sitting on a couple of cases of empties on day 2 of my own personal festival, hammered, on my own, with a giant drool stain soiling the top of my jersey, wondering what happened to the previous two days... I hope yours goes better! :D

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Bafflegab said:
mmmmmmmmmm... Beer. :cool:

Delays are totally understandable... Priorities are right placed in this scenario.

Although, I will point out that the rest of us are not necessarily blessed with a beer festival in our neighborhood, and your update was the only thing that was going to get us through... :mad:

That settles it. All of your readAARs are going to have to begin their own impromtu beer festivals of their own to get through this rough time. I think mine will seem fairly sad in retrospect... Just me sitting on a couple of cases of empties on day 2 of my own personal festival, hammered, on my own, with a giant drool stain soiling the top of my jersey, wondering what happened to the previous two days... I hope yours goes better! :D

The thing is I cant afford one ATM, still broke... :(

• 1Haha
Reactions:
El Pip said:
Rght the Western Europe update is being assembled, French domestic politics is confusing me somewhat at the moment (the shear number of strikes means I struggle to work out which ones were serious and which weren't).

Surely all strikes in support of a just share for the workers is important?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Faeelin said:
Surely all strikes in support of a just share for the workers is important?
Two words - Bob Crow.

Or for those who prefer more elaborate examples, British Leyland in the 1970s. The vast majority of Red Robbos strikes were utterly pointless and more about fluffing up his ego than any actual problem. They only reason they might be 'important' is that they were a very real reason behind all his members being sacked and the utter destruction of the entire British motor industry.

I could go on, but frankly we'd be here for months and I doubt it would change your mind. I don't think anyone ever changed an important view in their life based on an interweb debate. :)

Reactions:
Take your time. Looking forward to seeing you catch up.

*bottles up a stream of French strike jokes* Good luck with that research ;) .

• 1Like
Reactions:
El Pip said:
I could go on, but frankly we'd be here for months and I doubt it would change your mind. I don't think anyone ever changed an important view in their life based on an interweb debate. :)

I suppose I should stop saying things like that, before people get an image of me arising every morning to sing the Internationale.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Faeelin said:
I suppose I should stop saying things like that, before people get an image of me arising every morning to sing the Internationale.
You don't? There's a shock! :D

Right update about half done, I've had to take a bit of a stab on characterising a few politicians, hopefully they should stay plausible. Update soonish. Is that good enough?

Reactions:
El Pip said:
Right update about half done, I've had to take a bit of a stab on characterising a few politicians, hopefully they should stay plausible. Update soonish. Is that good enough?

With an attitude like that...how do you expect to maintain your claim that this is the slowest updated AAR on the boards? :p

TheExecuter

• 1Like
Reactions: