• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rensslaer said:
...“Tell my Father…”..“… I did my best.”..“Take care of Wally.”
awesome! ! ! :cool: had a feeling... :wacko:

Well, I take no satisfaction from being right. But at least the Kaiser will be forced to see the effects of his wars.

Ahh, so this is perhaps going to cause the Kaiser to listen to Rensslaer once again?

Or will this percieved weakness cause Britain and Russia to attempt to beat up the Empire?

At least the KP died in battle rather than on a sickbed. I think this is the way he preferred.

Avernite said:
poor little nations, I hope you don't do that on the Netherlands or Belgium
The Netherlands and Belgium have both been quiet as a streetmouse in my game, since the 1830s!
Rey said:
Hmm, those claims in Borneo would be a nice addiction to your prosperous empire! Think on the poor dutch people being oppressed by their rude government. They're calling for liberation!
The Netherlands, however, have been useful to Prussia as an ally, and occasionally as a trading partner. While only at certain periods of time were the two countries allied, the Dutch have always been supportive and friendly. In a world such as Prussia has to deal with (and has created!) that's a remarkable thing!
fj44 said:
Conquering the world can become an addiction. :D

For some reason, I don't think the British will be all that happy.
Indeed. And you're right! On both counts.
kptb said:
Wilhelm taking over small nations for the resources seems to fit well in the overall story...

War here (Panama) would be a major diversion from the goals in Africa and Asia...

In game terms, even if you do not allack France soon, they should declare a war on you any time now.
A constant theme of my game/story has been to maintain Prussia's resource base through colonization and conquest, and so... it does quite fit!

Another goal, however, has been to maintain 1) a chain of outposts and 2) easy communication between them, so... In that respect, Panama fits right in, because of the canal opportunity.
fj44 said:
I bet the late-game entrenchment values got you, am I right? :p
YUP!!! :D They cleaned my clock!
VILenin said:
Prussia should've kept their hands clean by sponsoring a revolt in Panama like the US did historically...

This will sour US/Prussian relations in the future as it is a violation of the Monroe Doctrine. Hopefully Prussia won't end up with the whole world against her.
This was as close as I could figure, in game terms, to get to the US-sponsored historical revolt. But we were on the same train of thought!

As for world relations... No, they're not doing great. But that makes the story more interesting, eh?!
prussiablue said:
I await the great confrontation b/w Prussia and USA. I hope it will materialize.
Well, I will remain silent on whether this will happen on the field of battle. I will tease you by letting you know we WILL see such a confrontation in the classroom!
coz1 said:
Interesting to see Prussia actually have some problems with their Central American war. Certainly makes things seem more realistic.
Indeed! And, as you know, I've always sought to include the realistic defeats along with the realistic victories! Incidentally, I once "admitted" to a restart regarding war with the SGF. Subsequently, I realized I hadn't actually done a restart. I was just off on the years. The whole horrible defeat is yet to come, but outlined in excruciating detail! :D
coz1 said:
Gee, I hope nothing happens to the Prince. Wilhelm would certainly pay for this war then... But at least the Kaiser will be forced to see the effects of his wars
Indeed. Indeed!
GhostWriter said:
awesome! ! ! :cool: had a feeling... :wacko:
Yes! As had we all...
Avernite said:
Ahh, so this is perhaps going to cause the Kaiser to listen to Rensslaer once again?
Well... No. But, ultimately, yes!
Avernite said:
Or will this percieved weakness cause Britain and Russia to attempt to beat up the Empire?
Um... No. But, ultimately, yes! But first someone else... or two... :wacko:
prussiablue said:
At least the KP died in battle rather than on a sickbed. I think this is the way he preferred.
I think you're probably right, though Friedrich Wilhelm the younger hadn't the desire for glory so evident in his Father. As for Wilhelm II, I think until the horrible reality of such sacrifice hit him, Wilhelm II might have thought he preferred it for himself and/or any sons. Not so sure he thinks that, anymore...

Iron Skull, BBBD, thank you very much for your comments also! And thank you all for your support and prayers through my job search! More time to write? I don't know about that. But I will at least have lunchhours, which I actually plan to TAKE in this job (in the past I'd tried to use them to catch up on stuff!). I'll still work security on the side, to keep up to an income level to match our outcome level. :D

Thanks to everybody!

Rensslaer

Renss, great work. Don't yah hate when you underestimate the forces needed to grab a province?

No need to thank me, you were one of the big reasons that got me reading AAR's and my dismal attempt to write my own.

Rensslaer said:
Incidentally, I once "admitted" to a restart regarding war with the SGF. Subsequently, I realized I hadn't actually done a restart. I was just off on the years. The whole horrible defeat is yet to come, but outlined in excruciating detail! :D

Yes! I knew it! Even mighty Prussia bows before the SOUTH GERMAN FEDERATION! MWAHAHAHAHAH!

So the whole 'SGF pwns Germany' affair is yet to come? Great! :rofl:

And I hate no, but eventually yes as an answer. You allways keep cliffhangering, aye?

First, congrats on the new job! I know how you feel and hope all goes well!

Now, as for the game... I agree that with his son's death, mayhap der Kaiser will come to his senses, but I have the feeling that either ain't gonna happen or it's gonna take some time. Time that I dare hope Prussia will have before the whole world decides to come knocking at the gates of Berlin! :eek:

I read of interesting times rapidly approaching Prussia, and that might not be a good thing this time around, eh?

From The Eagle Rising: The Story of Prussia's Arrival On the World Stage, pub. 1989 by Professor Reinicke Herz

By the beginning of April, the Prussian invasion of Panama seemed to have been a colossal, embarrassing mistake. A German division had been annihilated in Nicaragua, the Prussian Crown Prince Friedrich Wilhelm had been killed in combat in the west, the Stuttgarters had failed to prevent the reinforcement of Panama City, and a small Costa Rican army threatened to retake the only territory the Germans had been able to successfully secure.

ss539.jpg

But in the space of one month, the Prussians rallied. A reinforced General Frohau captured a base of operations to the south of Panama and began marching his corps north to relieve the beleaguered General Luitpold near Panama City.

ss543.jpg

In June, the superior strength, training and leadership of the Prussian Army, as well as the successful application of naval artillery against selected targets ashore, began to tell against the Colombian defenders of Panama City. Also, the Costa Rican Army had become overconfident from the string of Prussian defeats, and had unwisely gone on the offensive. They were soundly defeated in the western mountains, and forced to retreat back toward home.

ss547.jpg

The Costa Ricans would have had a rude reception had they arrived, because further Prussian landings were made into their homeland in the beginning of July. But events superseded this eventuality, and Colombia admitted inevitable defeat.

A peace was signed on July 12, 1899, which granted Prussia the entire region of Panama, as well as the major port city of Cartagena, in northern Colombia.

ss553.jpg

Despite significant losses and setbacks, Germany had achieved her goal of capturing the Isthmus of Panama, which cleared the way for construction of a waterway to connect the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. A march had been stolen on the British and Americans – both of whom had coveted this territory, but had not been the first to act. Engineers immediately began the planning stages of the project. The canal was named in advance, in honor of the late Crown Prince. It would be known as the Friedrich Wilhelm Canal.

Another thing to irritate the Americans and Brits. I wonder what the catalyst to force the Brits into action will be? The Germans also need to invent tanks, or such difficulties will begin to happen much more often. Great Update!

Rensslaer said:
...Engineers immediately began the planning stages of the project. The canal was named in advance, in honor of the late Crown Prince. It would be known as the Friedrich Wilhelm Canal.
not a good thing. for two reasons. first, the name reminds (everyone) of who owns the Canal. second, the name reminds (everyone) of a Prussian defeat/loss!

excellent! ! ! :cool:

A bitter sweet victory I must say, the death of the KP might proves too much of a price to pay. With the Prussian Empire going global, I gather you are going to upset more nations, namely UK & USA.

Well fitting that it be named after the crown prince, but always a sad reminder as others have pointed out.

And a question - are you assured of getting the Panama Canal event? The reason I ask is that every time I have owned those provinces, I never have had the event, regardless of who I was playing. Very strange.

Nice update/victory from the jaws of defeat!

I, like everyone else here 'bouts, wonder just how the Americans and the Brits are going to react to this little adventure of Imperial Prussia. And how has Willie reacted to the death of his son and Heir?

coz1 said:
And a question - are you assured of getting the Panama Canal event? The reason I ask is that every time I have owned those provinces, I never have had the event, regardless of who I was playing. Very strange.
And a good question it is! I was waiting to address this until just now. Otherwise I would have ruined a great cliffhanger! (sorry, Avernite!)

Actually, I never got the Suez Canal event either. Despite having held the provinces in question for a good many years before I put it in place, the event never triggered. In examination, it appeared I had met the requirements. But...

So I self-triggered the Suez event. And, having had that experience with Suez, I did so again with the Panama Canal, paying the appropriate fees, etc.

I felt it justified, in face of the very real possibility that the world in my game would approach the year 1960 without any Suez or Panama canals! :confused:

BBBD said:
No need to thank me, you were one of the big reasons that got me reading AAR's and my dismal attempt to write my own.
Bizarre is, by definition, NOT dismal! ;) Bizarre is quite entertaining! And I do enjoy your AAR a great deal... even the parts I do not understand for the life of me! Very glad to have inspired you to try your own!

Rocketman & Avernite, yes... the SGF war should be quite entertaining. For enemies of Prussia, anyway! :D See, Avernite! I'm avoiding a cliffhanger! See?!

And Draco (avoiding yet another cliffhanger), you may well be right! About the Kaiser's not quite giving up on adventures, yet.

And all three of you, who have not, this time, been cliffhung, may see your questions and realizations come to pass as soon as the next update! :D

In fact, the next update will answer more than just that. I was hoping to see who you guys suspected might be the spy in the Kaiser's cabinet. Any guesses?

Ghostwriter - Very insightful of you, Sir! And you are probably correct, as things turn out. Jealousy among ones' neighbors and rivals is not something that makes the lights at the Wilhelmstrasse go out at night.

FJ44 - (WARNING: Cryptic remark) The British are about to be forced into action!

Prussiablue - Yes, the KronPrinz' death will turn out to be a very dear price. He was, after all, to be his Father's heir, and his Father had groomed him and seen to his preparation to do play just that role! Younger Waldemar (2 years his brother's junior) has not had quite the degree of training, though as a close heir he has had some, and has been kept close to the centers of power. What a way to get promoted, eh?

Thank you all, again, for your comments! I'm going to slow down, just a bit, to keep from outrunning all the stuff I have prepared. I -- surprise! -- will start the new job tomorrow, not a week from now, and I already have homework, so...

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
(WARNING: Cryptic remark)
I hate it when he does that. ;)

Interesting, firing the Panama Canal event manually. I've occasionally had to do that before my most recent case was as the US vs UK. Apparently, UK has to control Ontario for the Fall of Canada event to fire. I snapped it up during an earlier colonial war, so the event would not fire. The event system is wonderful, but it has its frustrations. :)

Wow, Prussia in control of the panama canal... its enough to make the US armed forces officers wake up screaming in the middle of the night. Whoops there goes Mahanian thought out the window, unless the US is friendly

Rocketman said:
Just put all the signs in English and hope the US mistakes your blue for their blue. :D
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: