Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise expansion– Developer diary 1

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm not going to waste any time arguing with you about what medical science has long concluded. If you can imagine a history in which you triumph over your enemies while 90% of your population is dying of disease, then you have a better imagination than me.
By living in one of the many, many areas that Europeans never settled in the EUIV timeframe. What about this is so hard to get?

As far as immunities, why doesn't it ever occur to people that the natives to the western hemisphere had immunities to diseases the Europeans had never encountered, too? Both sides were new to each other, and the explorers had direct contact with all that nature they keep in the outdoors, while the natives had only indirect contact with Europe's pestilential swamps.

Did Europe have more advanced microbes? Maybe that could be a part of the next expansion, and a fourth Monarch Point type.

These new colonial nations, what will their names be based on? Curious to see what a German-cultured nation will be called for example :)
I'd guess the name would be based either on the region the colony is in (Stuff like Carolina, Nova Scotia, Hispaniola etc) or perhaps a major province/the capital of the area, maybe giving you the chance to name your own colonial nations.

As far as immunities, why doesn't it ever occur to people that the natives to the western hemisphere had immunities to diseases the Europeans had never encountered, too? Both sides were new to each other, and the explorers had direct contact with all that nature they keep in the outdoors, while the natives had only indirect contact with Europe's pestilential swamps.

Did Europe have more advanced microbes? Maybe that could be a part of the next expansion, and a fourth Monarch Point type.

Europa Universalis IV: Microbial Warfare

This sounds very cool. One of the first things I did in EU2 was to play as one of the Native American tribes. With mixed results, of course. It'll be interesting to see what this expansion ends up doing.

I'm not going to waste any time arguing with you about what medical science has long concluded. If you can imagine a history in which you triumph over your enemies while 90% of your population is dying of disease, then you have a better imagination than me.

There's more to the Americas than the Incans and Aztecs. The Iroquois remained independent until after the American revolution, as did many of the other groups in North America - and we're not taking groups in wasteand here.

Also, recheck those numbers. Nine millions is significantly more than 10% of 30 millions.

Pretty cool idea. I always felt like EUIV was too euro-centric and while that obviously was the intention, the opportunity to play as a native civilization sounds like fun.

If the world is getting randomized as a native american country can the 'old world' be randomized?

you know so that russia is where spain is, heck toss china into where turkey is while england is where hungary is and hungary is where france is. France of course is where germany is. and the geography should also make no sense either too. Not a fan of this feature, I hope it is not a main thing but just a minor little thing with the focus more on the natives and the colonial states.

Sounds really excellent guys, well done and I can't wait!

I'm particularly interested to see what comes under "improved colonial warfare." Right now I, amongst quite a few other people, have been a bit frustrated with colonial warfare in EU4, because of the usual issues with OExt and Coring time. We are actively encouraged to wage colonial war (automatic CB, low WS cost per colony), but as soon as those colonies are cored by their original owners, we get massive OExt and massive Admin point cost + coring time wait. So ultimately colonial wars can feel not much different to central Europe wars - fighting lots to take just a small number of provinces each time, then waiting up to a decade before OExt is down.

So I am crossing my fingers that this will be addressed and restrictions for colonial conquest relaxed in the expansion.

Actually one issue sounds like it might definitely be fixed - a big problem with current colonial wars is that, once you take those huge OExt provinces, there's no vassals to feed them to. For example, if England takes Caribbean provinces from Portugal, which has cored them, it can't then release any of them as vassals, and there's no existing vassal nations nearby to feed them. But if the new expansion is going to have all colonies in effect be vassals, then of course this is mitigated (as long as we can sell to them as we do normal vassals.)

But I do still hope that OExt/Coring times are worked on for colonies. It would be awesome if colonial wars felt quite different and less limited than mainland-Europe wars: and that would be a great compromise in the current "Direct conquest vs Vassal Feeding" debate: central Europe conquest is very slow, lots of AE, Oext, coring times, but New World is free and more wild. That would work!

Will you be boosting the base Diplomatic Relations to handle all the new colonial vassals we'll now have? We won't be able to survive with just the base of 4! :) (Or maybe colonies will be a special kind of vassal that don't need DipRelations? In which case, please do still allow them to buy provinces like a normal vassal! :) )

Thanks again guys, really excited.

I think Gars was saying that appealing to harshly reductive, unitary explanations of complex, emergent phenomena betrays a lack of critical thinking.