Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise expansion– Developer diary 1

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I hope we all learned the most important lesson:

Pine Trees = North America

Sorry. The most important lesson is that this is really cool. Heck, I loved exploring in Empire: Wargame of the Century; Seven Cities of Gold; all the Civs; Conquest of the New World.

It's just a great deal of fun not having to say "well, I can't get to Brazil easily so I guess I have to head to Nova Scotia and hope I beat Spain to the Caribbean" or "I lost the Aztecs, but the Incas are untouched". It's all new! Great news.

Now, like a modern day Columbus, we have to wait.

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! This can't be anything but good, more so considering Paradox's track record!

Sounds cool, but can we play with the other features without a randomized America? - (It's cool if you like a random America, but I don't.)

Also I wonder what the new native features will be like? Hopefully it's not just super-natives because of all the threads about the Incas and Aztecs being super-duper advanced.

Call me cautiously optimistic.

Awesome, nice to see the rabid reaction to Sunset Invasion didn't put you guys off thinking creatively. This is a really interesting step away from historical determinism for Paradox, and I hope you guys release more of this optional alt histories content in the future.

Along with completely random set-ups, will it be possible for the player if they choose to give a rough idea of the kind of random landmass they want? And how will this interact with saves from the Sunset Invasion DLC?

Awww, you could have gone a bit bolder and randomize the Old World as well.

But Bravo, now Exploration will feel like Exploration without us relying on our knowledge of world geography to figure out the most efficient island-hopping routes... ;)

How much of the "New World" is really randomizable, btw? Just the Americas, or do the parts of Africa and Oceania get randomized as well?

And what would happen to the startup screen, where it shows the entire world without terra incognita? Does that mean we can still cheat or ....

A great new.

I always find it boring to colonise the new world, because it is known to me, and simply it is too easy to beat the natives with just a few troops, from now on, i guess i will try a whole new colonisation game.

so if new colombus would not find anything but india, can we expect a geographical different located new-america?

Awww, you could have gone a bit bolder and randomize the Old World as well.

But Bravo, now Exploration will feel like Exploration without us relying on our knowledge of world geography to figure out the most efficient island-hopping routes... ;)

How much of the "New World" is really randomizable, btw? Just the Americas, or do the parts of Africa and Oceania get randomized as well?

And what would happen to the startup screen, where it shows the entire world without terra incognita? Does that mean we can still cheat or ....

Just the americas atm.

Cautiously optimistic.

Looking forward to hearing some stuff about how trade nodes will now work and the new colonies mechanic (Reminds me of Sid Meires Colonization, not a bad thing at all! ;))

What about trade routs and trade nodes in the new world?

Presumably some form of automatic generation is used to create nodes for this new generated map. Can we presume that at some point the script which writes these nodes will be used to reset the ROTW nodes for a semi-dynamic trade rout system, say, every 10 or 25 years?