• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Second question while I'm here: how do you handle giving out Dukedoms that are de jure outside your other titles?
I try to give them to dynasty members distant enough to only be Kinsmen and who are not in immediate danger of inheriting anything else.

Through bad votes I suddenly had a different culture ruler.
When I change back to a Welsh ruler will I have to build my Cultural buildings from level 1 again?

Is there a way to change culture as a ruler if you have no tier above you?

You can have an infinite number of courtiers with no ill effects; they exist largely as a pool of labor, to serve as commanders, serve on the court, marry interesting people, etc.

Didn't you forget the 30 limit which reduces the number of kids/fertility possible ? :cool:..and increases the mortality rate.

When I change back to a Welsh ruler will I have to build my Cultural buildings from level 1 again?

I'm afraid you'll have to fully rebuild your cultural buildings. As for changing culture, you sometimes get an event that lets you choose to change to your capital's culture, if different from yours.

You can have an infinite number of courtiers with no ill effects; they exist largely as a pool of labor, to serve as commanders, serve on the court, marry interesting people, etc.

I think there's more to it than that.
Reading the various threads on the forum, I've seen people state that if you have too many it affects your fertility rate and something about influencing natural death of your ruler and a few other things I can't really remember. Is there anything in the game files that can attest to any of this?

So, I was playing as a Catholic Emperor of Hispania, when I suddenly inherit the Byzantine Empire from my grandmother. I thought since the Pope hates me anyways (-100), I might as well try to convert to Orthodoxy (which would make sense, being the Basileus and whatnot). However, I can't seem to find an option or a way for me to turn Orthodox. Any ideas? Cheers.

You can't change your religion without any liege as orientation, so to speak. There might be some events that could allow you to change it, I suppose, but the most reliable method would be to find an Orthodox courtier or vassal and allow him to educate your heir. He will most likely adopt the ward's religion. Be aware that he will probably adopt his culture, too.

Basically the same as above, find someone with the desired culture and let him educate your heir. Other than that, I don't know of any way to change culture for an independent ruler.

Yes I eventually got that event that can change your culture to where your capital is.
Thanks for the response.

Some little questions:

- I want to educate my heir by a fantastic general (29points) - the problem: he has the celibate trait. If i choose him as tutor, is there a big danger that my heir gets the celibate trait too?

- If I make that my second son becomes bishop he is out of the line of succession. Is he back in the line of succession if I revoke the title? And what happens with his children (before he becomes bishop) - are they heirs?

Thanks and greetings
Drusus

Some little questions:

- I want to educate my heir by a fantastic general (29points) - the problem: he has the celibate trait. If i choose him as tutor, is there a big danger that my heir gets the celibate trait too?

- If I make that my second son becomes bishop he is out of the line of succession. Is he back in the line of succession if I revoke the title? And what happens with his children (before he becomes bishop) - are they heirs?

Thanks and greetings
Drusus

1) No. There's no childhood event that turns a child celibate. He might make him chaste, though.
2) Yes, he will be back in line to inherit something. If you make your oldest son a bishop your second oldest will be your new heir. Regardless if the oldest has already fathered children.

I am playing Wales. I intermarried my King with an Abyssinian Princess. Now all my children, and my children's children are split colour. Can this ever change back to white? I will say though is that its pretty well messed up the white English and a few other Duchy's too, many black Kings and Queens. Humm.

I am playing Wales. I intermarried my King with an Abyssinian Princess. Now all my children, and my children's children are split colour. Can this ever change back to white? I will say though is that its pretty well messed up the white English and a few other Duchy's too, many black Kings and Queens. Humm.

If they only marry whites, it does change back. If you use the charinfo 1 cheat to get the character informaton, there's also the normaly invisible genetic culture showing which influence their looks.

[Ignorance] How do I do that exactly? Thanks.

open the box/console to put in the code. Either via §, ^(the one below escape) or alt+2 1. It depends on the keyboard you have. Then simply write charinfo 1(or anything else, doesnt matter) and close the box the way you opened it.

Last edited:
How can I find out who has one of my people in jail?

How can I find out who has one of my people in jail?

Move your mouse over the prison cell in the character screens pitcure. There a pop up will tell where he currently "resides".

What is the best holding type for inland counties?

Are they still cities, despite lacking a port, or would a church be better suited? I can't imagine a castle to ever be the dominant holding type due to no tech, and no income, but could this possibly be the case?

Kinslayer... How do I get rid of this rather unsavory title? How many Kin I slayed is not the issue I hope.

You get it from the discovery of one murder. As for removing it, I don't think there is a way.