• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Exactly how bad is it to be over the demesne limit? Is floating 1 or 2 above while you wait for your heir or a betrothal to come of age or to finish your schooling okay, or will that come back to bite me later? There are only so many celibate courtiers I can give these counties too.

In addition to the negative opinion there are events linked having to many I have seen... I think it can lead to the "stressed" trait among other things...

Playing as the King of Bavaria and just won the Crusade for Jerusalem, and the Knights Templar and the Knights Hospitaller have been asking me to give them permission to build baronies in some of my provinces. Seeing no reason why not, I said sure. But what does this actually do?
What is the effect of giving Holy Orders permission to build holdings in your land?

Playing as the King of Bavaria and just won the Crusade for Jerusalem, and the Knights Templar and the Knights Hospitaller have been asking me to give them permission to build baronies in some of my provinces. Seeing no reason why not, I said sure. But what does this actually do?
What is the effect of giving Holy Orders permission to build holdings in your land?

It adds an extra holding to the land, so it doesn't harm you. You get piety (and prestige, I think) when they build it. And when they feel like it, they can use them to raise troops. If you manage to vassalize the Holy Orders (which requires a few convoluted steps best discussed in another thread), you can revoke the baronies and use them as normal.

It adds an extra holding to the land, so it doesn't harm you. You get piety (and prestige, I think) when they build it. And when they feel like it, they can use them to raise troops. If you manage to vassalize the Holy Orders (which requires a few convoluted steps best discussed in another thread), you can revoke the baronies and use them as normal.

Okay, but it doesn't add to the number of men in their merc band?

Does the letting out of jail conversion apply to foreign rulers whom you have captured in battle (e.g. Sultan of Egypt or Emir of Aleppo when crusading)? Will they also make peace with you (white peace/CB no longer valid?) if you let them out?

Can you elect people in a foreign realm to your throne? As King of Ireland, I helped put a distant relation of mine on the throne of England, and Ireland has elective succession. I figured I would designate the King of England as my heir, thus uniting our kingdoms upon my death. However, he doesn't seem to appear in the list--not even everyone in my realm does; why not?

Very good question; I've gotten similar issue but that was with my grandson who wasn't eligible because (I believe) his father was alive... I'm not too sure on this. It might be because he doesn't own any dejure land on Ireland?

Does the letting out of jail conversion apply to foreign rulers whom you have captured in battle (e.g. Sultan of Egypt or Emir of Aleppo when crusading)? Will they also make peace with you (white peace/CB no longer valid?) if you let them out?
If you capture foreign ruler your score at war will be automatically 100%. So you can end the war by asking your opponents to surrender, you win, but that also mean your prisoner "sultan" is released from the dungeon. You can not convert him (nor any other minor ruler or courtier that you capture. As far as I know.

Last edited:
Can you elect people in a foreign realm to your throne? As King of Ireland, I helped put a distant relation of mine on the throne of England, and Ireland has elective succession. I figured I would designate the King of England as my heir, thus uniting our kingdoms upon my death. However, he doesn't seem to appear in the list--not even everyone in my realm does; why not?
There is several possibilities. Mainly all those that are not listed have someone who is in front of him to inherit, Father or mother maybe. Check that for your character. If there is someone in the line before him (parent(s)) he will be shown on the list only after there's death (unless of course inheritance happen before that).

edit: That said if you want your character on the list you may have to assassinate his predecessors.

As king of Castille, Leon, and Andalusia, I won a holy war for Greece from the Egyptian sultanate in the early 1300s. Since most of the Byzantine Empire was eaten up by the Fatimids and the Seljuks (who both got Polanded by the Golden Horde and the Ilkhanate), I decided to holy war for the remaining Byzantine territories, i.e. the Duchy of Thrace. I won and the Byzantine Empire was no more =P

Now for some reason, the Ecumenical Patriarch is landless (seems I won his bishopric in the holy war for Thrace), still residing in Constantinople, but he's sworn allegiance to the Ilkhanate. Might be because the Golden Horde ate up Rus and there are no more Orthodox rulers. But he's still Orthodox.

1. Is there any way I can vassalise the Ecumenical Patriarch or free him from the Mongol yoke?
2. If I decide to convert to Orthodoxy or Greek culture, will the Ecumenical Patriarch swear loyalty to me? Cos it'll be weird to have a head of religion that's a vassal to an infidel! (Both hordes converted to Shia)

Is there any way to get rid of your antipope other than installing him as the actual pope? And if not, will warring against the papal states call in other christian states?

On one hand, they should probably defend the "real" pope, but from a game point of view, reducing the number of antipopes helps the religion more.

Is there any way to get rid of your antipope other than installing him as the actual pope? And if not, will warring against the papal states call in other christian states?

On one hand, they should probably defend the "real" pope, but from a game point of view, reducing the number of antipopes helps the religion more.

You could try banishing your antipope.

As I understand it, the elective succession makes anybody available to succeed who either has a title that gives him the right to vote or is a sibling or descendant of the current ruler. Normally, you won't be able to make your nephew/uncle/distant cousin your descendant. If you are not too far down the generational tree, maybe you can make the king's father your heir. Alternatively, switch to seniority succession, it works well in terms of uniting a dynasty's holding - at least if you're patient.

If all else fails, war against the papal states doesn't call in other Catholics IIRC.

No, they won't help the pope, but they certainly won't honor their alliances with you, either. That is, of course, if you have Catholic allies. Make sure to check how much money the pope has, though. It may seem to be an easy target declaring war on a guy who holds only three counties (unless he expanded, of course). But because of all the taxes he receives, he tends to be insanely rich and calls in huge amounts of mercs.

People who are eligible for election must either hold land in the de-jure area (duke or above!), be closely related to the current ruler or have a claim.
I usually land my designated heir to achieve this.

Quick Question from where I left off last nights game.

I found I had a 'Plot' to 'Revoke title'. The same character I can plot against I also have the standard Diplomatic option to revoke his title (along with the hit I would take with my vassals etc)

I have set up the plot and I have a pop up along the top with 'Important decisions can be made to revoke X tiitle'.

Now, should I leave the plot running and the title will be revoked for no penalty after a while (such as with an Assasination plot) or should I just use the Diplomatic option?

Thanks guys