• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been on the internet multiple times.. it's an issue that keeps popping up if i close down the computer and then try to go on in offline mode, it's really an annoying bother. It's the one reason i don't use steam more than i do.

You misunderstand: You're doing it wrong. There's an option in the Steam Main-menu (Labeled "Steam" to the left of "View, Friends, Games and Help") that says something like "Go into Offline mode". You have to do that and it'll save the settings and start the program without being online. You can't just keep Quitting the program in Online-mode and expect it to work without activating that setting.

Offline mode has never not-worked for me on any computer.

I was unclear: I have done that, but I've been in the situation before, that even after doing that, if I either close down steam or the computer, I get the generic error message once i try to boot it up the next time. I've tried contacting their customer suppourt, but given up on that as well.
I'm not saying I won't use steam, but I will only use it, if there's no way around it. And even if "I'm doing it wrong" it's still problematic in other aspects..

I'd elaborate but really gotta run s:

I *really* hope it will not require Steam since I hate that crap and will never use it again. But I have seen no announcements indicating that and other Paradox games has also been available from other sources so I would think it is the same for this one.

To the claim that Johan made regarding VAT I must say that is a bit skewed. Yes there is VAT in EU but $ 40 = € 29 making it € 40 that means 40-29= 11, 11/29= 37% roughly. There is no country in the EU that has that VAT rate. The highest VAT currently in Europe is 25%, the lowest is 15% and in the UK 20%. So even if it was sold with the highest VAT that means 29 x 1.25 = maximum € 36.25.

So basically YOU are overcharging EU customers its not the taxes. In addition in the US there is no VAT but there is sales tax, which varies between 0% - 9.1% but on average the sales tax in the US is 6%. Therefore you are also double counting US sales tax.

And this happens with every game, so my question is why do we pay more in the EU than people in the US taxes aside? The game does not require shipping costs, but even if it did(physical copies), these games are produced in Sweden!!!

So why this kind of preferential treatment in the US for pricing>?

We get about the same money in sales from a US or EU purchase after taxes from the retailer have got their money

A price of 39€ is TODAY the same as a price of 42$ when VAT is added (not counting salex tax in some US states when applicable.)

This comparison has fluctuated between 30 and 45$ through the years we sold games, where most of the time, the US sales been better economically for us.

If you dislike VAT, blame your government, not us.

I couldn't find the thing about steam, so it might have just been an assumption that I made having read about the modular dlc and in-game store, which steam is all set up for but gamersgate not. I could be wrong, but I can't find confirmation from the devs either way and I can't see a better way of achieving the dlc than steam.

I couldn't find the thing about steam, so it might have just been an assumption that I made having read about the modular dlc and in-game store, which steam is all set up for but gamersgate not. I could be wrong, but I can't find confirmation from the devs either way and I can't see a better way of achieving the dlc than steam.

There has been few reviewers who have stated that they played the beta on steam.

At that steam would be prefferable, but I dislike too many other aspects of the service too much, to actually want it to require steam.

That doesn't really mean anything. Steam is probably a great way to do beta's because of the automatic updates.

Still I don't think many of Paradox games have had steam as their data transfer service in the beta. They are definetly making it for steam if the beta is there. There might be other versions but that just confirms that CKII will also be in Steam.

Its good to know for me as I was not going to buy it anywhere else. Its easier to me to get DLC's from steam than some other place.

Johan said:
Thats not how everything works on Steam. Most developers turn on the steam drm because its convenient and works and is not super-intrusive compared to other things in the world..

I just said there is NO drm whatsoever on a steam game if a developer elects it to not have it.

Take Sengoku as an example. You can buy it at Steam and after installing it, you can play it without even running steam ever again. There is no difference between a Sengoku bought at Steam or GG.

Now I do NOT know how Sots2 works, but I do know that I turned off the drm on Victoria 2 in some early patch when I knew how it worked.

Steam is NOT a DRM, unless a developer wants it to be.

Just found this quote by Johan in the general discussion forum, if this is really correct, then it changes everything. If they make it so that I can just buy the game, download it, and never actually have to open up steam to run it again, then I actually wouldn't mind it all that much.

Just found this quote by Johan in the general discussion forum, if this is really correct, then it changes everything. If they make it so that I can just buy the game, download it, and never actually have to open up steam to run it again, then I actually wouldn't mind it all that much.

Technically, you'd need to start steam if you want to patch is also, as if th version is on steam, we'd rely auto-patching there.

I could live with the patching, that's no different than going on GG or here to DL, it's the problem of actually having steam running that's always been my problem. I assumed, incorectly as it apparantly is, that it would be true for all games. But if you release the game on steam, and I'd only have to be online to patch, my major issue with the steam platform would be bypassed. :)

You misunderstand: You're doing it wrong. There's an option in the Steam Main-menu (Labeled "Steam" to the left of "View, Friends, Games and Help") that says something like "Go into Offline mode". You have to do that and it'll save the settings and start the program without being online. You can't just keep Quitting the program in Online-mode and expect it to work without activating that setting.

Offline mode has never not-worked for me on any computer.

This however does not work if you do not have any internet to start with, I was without internet for a weekend and I couldn't play any games I bought through steam since it required an active internet connection to go offline mode

This however does not work if you do not have any internet to start with, I was without internet for a weekend and I couldn't play any games I bought through steam since it required an active internet connection to go offline mode

I just switched on my other machine, checked that steam was online, exited steam, switched off the wifi so I had no internet, launched steam, and was told that steam could not find an internet connection and would I like to start in offline mode, so I selected 'start in offline mode', and am now in steam in offline mode.

So, it is incorrect that you can only go onto offline mode while you are on the internet. You can switch on and launch steam from cold while off the net and still get into offline mode and play your games. I think that steam altered this policy in a patch some time ago, probably because of complaints from users. I suggest that those who have had problems with offline mode on steam give it another go.

However, I seem to remember that steam required users to go online once a month (or at monthly intervals) so steam could check for patches, or so that they could make sure there weren't multiple machines running the same account in offline mode ad infinitum.

I notice there was no denial of compulsary steam from johan above. Perhaps they haven't decided yet, or just want to avoid the flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.