• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be slightly OT, but if I buy a game on release day or if I buy it later when price is reduced, does that make a difference in how much money Paradox get from it?
I have no idea how the distribution chain works here and if it is different between physical copies and digital ones.

Apart from that, for a quality game the price is not that important to me, in €/hour its a bargain regardless so 10€ more or less feels irrelevant for one who buys as few games as I do. Of course I pay less if I can choose, but I also like to support good companies.

Personally, I'll just get it through gamersgate.
I find that modding and total conversions are a tad annoying to apply to the steam versions.

Not that I mind steam, I have plenty of games through there. It's just that , as an example, EU3 I almost always played some form of TC, or MEIOU and hell I was schooled in the game by Magna Mundi, making vanilla version very easy.
Besides.. there usually isn't much of a price difference at all.

Every mod works the same on steam EU3 as it does on retail EU3. You install the mod to the mod folder and play. Its not at all harder. I have even now games on steam that have been modified and I have had no problems.

To the claim that Johan made regarding VAT I must say that is a bit skewed. Yes there is VAT in EU but $ 40 = € 29 making it € 40 that means 40-29= 11, 11/29= 37% roughly. There is no country in the EU that has that VAT rate. The highest VAT currently in Europe is 25%, the lowest is 15% and in the UK 20%. So even if it was sold with the highest VAT that means 29 x 1.25 = maximum € 36.25.

So basically YOU are overcharging EU customers its not the taxes. In addition in the US there is no VAT but there is sales tax, which varies between 0% - 9.1% but on average the sales tax in the US is 6%. Therefore you are also double counting US sales tax.

And this happens with every game, so my question is why do we pay more in the EU than people in the US taxes aside? The game does not require shipping costs, but even if it did(physical copies), these games are produced in Sweden!!!

So why this kind of preferential treatment in the US for pricing>?

why would it require steam?

I was under the impression that paradox were using steam because of it's ability to auto-update. I've read that the beta is on steam certainly, but I'd have to go and look for a statement about steam. There are a number of games that require steam, Magicka from paradox is one I believe.

They did sell it, but why should it prevent me from using it, if I dislike some serious aspects of Steam, most notably their offline mode, which frankly never works? I sometimes have to go without internet for extended periods of time, so using steam is something i only do, if I have no other option, and so far paradox has stayed, more or less, out of that, which I'm greatful for, and I hope they'll conteniue to keep it optional..

40 or so sounds just fine to me. My question is I will want to physically have a cd with the game on it rather then a down load. Do I have to order it from Paradox ? Do they have a list of American Retail stores it will be available at and should they have it on the shelves that first week of February 2012? Lot of questions but I am quite eager

So why this kind of preferential treatment in the US for pricing>?

For one thing sales tax doesn't work like VAT. It doesn't come out of Paradox's $40. If it's charged it's extra. So an American paying Sales Tax of 6% would pay $42.40. But most won't pay that because they buy online and online retailers don't charge sales tax. Customers're supposedly to nicely tell the state they spent $40 on a video game and send the $2.40 in with their income tax, it's called the Use Tax, but nobody does that.

For another Paradox set it's pricing policy of $1 equaling €1 years ago. As recently as 2002 Euros were worth less then Dollars and the people being overcharged were Americans. If they looked at it again they might change it. But they might not. Americans aren't likely to pay $60 for a computer game, which means that coming closer to more recent exchange rates they'd have to cut prices in Europe and the UK. That would be nice of them, but whens the last time you heard of a well-run business cutting prices just to be nice.

Nick

They did sell it, but why should it prevent me from using it, if I dislike some serious aspects of Steam, most notably their offline mode, which frankly never works? I sometimes have to go without internet for extended periods of time, so using steam is something i only do, if I have no other option, and so far paradox has stayed, more or less, out of that, which I'm greatful for, and I hope they'll conteniue to keep it optional..

Don't know what problem you have with offline mode but I have another computer that doesn't have internet connection. After I set steam on offline mode on it. There has not been any request from steam to go online. So in my eyes offline mode works fine.

Well, if I don't have internet, and I try to start in offline mode, i get some generic error message, saying i need to connect to the steam servers or something similar..

Well, if I don't have internet, and I try to start in offline mode, i get some generic error message, saying i need to connect to the steam servers or something similar..

Yeah you need to connect the net once and after that set it to offline. After that you don't have to go online anymore, but you have to do it on the comp in question. This is because it uses an account and it has to verify that you are the account owner to let you use the games on it. You might also need to be online when you install a game.

I think that even the gamersgate or boxed version (if there is one??) will require steam. Actually steam is usually cheaper for most games, and in the past paradox games have been sold by steam at 10% off but not available for pre-order, whereas they are available for pre-order for more money at gamersgate.

Well no, they never required steam before if you bought it through gamersgate3.

Magicka did require steam but that was just published by Paradox. Not to mention that the beta is in steam so it seems they are making it to work on steam.

Granted, I bought that perticular game through steam. But EU3, Vic2, Sengoku etc etc doesn't require it

Yeah you need to connect the net once and after that set it to offline. After that you don't have to go online anymore, but you have to do it on the comp in question. This is because it uses an account and it has to verify that you are the account owner to let you use the games on it. You might also need to be online when you install a game.

Been on the internet multiple times.. it's an issue that keeps popping up if i close down the computer and then try to go on in offline mode, it's really an annoying bother. It's the one reason i don't use steam more than i do.

Granted, I bought that perticular game through steam. But EU3, Vic2, Sengoku etc etc doesn't require it

I thought it was a new thing for CK2. I could be wrong of course, but I'll have a look the thread I thought I'd seen on here.

Been on the internet multiple times.. it's an issue that keeps popping up if i close down the computer and then try to go on in offline mode, it's really an annoying bother. It's the one reason i don't use steam more than i do.

Then its something on how its placed on your computer as on my offline computer it has not demanded to get online after it was set to launch on offline mode. Only thing that I might think that might cause that would be that your steam is installed in the program files folder and it prevents it from saving the information to the file and so it thinks that it needs to launch in online mode. I never install any games or game programs on program files folder as its known cause some problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.