Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've just done some looking around, and it looks like it was produced for mac by virtual programming, but it's not available for downloading on their website anymore. any ideas on how to get a copy? would there be other parties selling it for download? If possible I'd like to be able to get it quickly and not have to worry about a physical CD, although if I have to it looks like there are copies for sale on amazon.

If GG doesn't sell it, I don't think anyone would. HOI2 Mac is available...

Does this mean that with the new patch and expansion policy, games developed in-house will end up Steam-only? Please tell me that is not the plan!
Its doubtful that PI would abandon their GG compatriots.

Do you guys use ergonomic mice and keyboards? If not, why? It'd be more healthy.

Do you guys use standing desks? Sitting down all day is detrimental to your health; you shouldn't be doing it!

Do you guys ever plan to get rid of some of the older avatar groups? Do you hate any avatar groups? Do you <3 any avatar groups?

Do you guys use ergonomic mice and keyboards? If not, why? It'd be more healthy.

Kallocain has some sort of weird pen-looking mouse, but most of us use regular mices if we don't insist on buying our own. I don't like ergonomical keyboards but if I ever feel the need to use those I think I would get used to them.

Do you guys use standing desks? Sitting down all day is detrimental to your health; you shouldn't be doing it!

All desks are height-adjustable tables but I can't say any of us use that function regularly.

Any tips for maintaining body mass and promoting general longevity? Given sedentary worklives behind keyboards, eating well all sorts of things to keep going, I was wondering if there were any overall strategies from the masters of strategy game development. I am past living on ramen noodles and peanut butter, and I do get to the gym a few times a week now.

Just eat healthy, walk alot, and exercise a few times each week.

Don't eat weird stuff with stuff added to them, make your own food!

Does this mean that with the new patch and expansion policy, games developed in-house will end up Steam-only? Please tell me that is not the plan!

I wouldn't rule it out. It would reduce costs a lot, and since about 90% of you guys buy from Steam, it would be natural to base things around it. And I'm one of the owners of GG.

Oh Johan your Steam answer scares me a lot. As a modder this is scary. But I have faith.

You seem to have a lot of rather physically fit employees. Based on a recent conversation with my wife:
Code:
Wife: "What are you watching?" 
Me: "The trailer for a new strategy game coming out next year [CK2 that is]."
Wife: "Well, there goes five more years of your life. Wow, that guy is really buff!"
Don't worry, Doomdark, I'm not jealous. ;)

Any tips for maintaining body mass and promoting general longevity? Given sedentary worklives behind keyboards, eating well all sorts of things to keep going, I was wondering if there were any overall strategies from the masters of strategy game development. I am past living on ramen noodles and peanut butter, and I do get to the gym a few times a week now.

Lol! Well, eat more protein (especially if you're going to the gym regularly...)

Install a chin-up bar in your office (I'm not kidding, this is one of the great things you can do when working at a university!) ;)

I wouldn't rule it out. It would reduce costs a lot, and since about 90% of you guys buy from Steam, it would be natural to base things around it. And I'm one of the owners of GG.

Exactly what Steam is trying to pull: It's MS all over again...

"You guys" as in customers, probably. "You guys" as in forumites, more doubtful.
In any case, those Steam numbers can rise partially so high due to their super discount sales, I suspect.
Not necessarily the most profitable customers (relatively, of course).

Do you guys ever plan to get rid of some of the older avatar groups? Do you hate any avatar groups? Do you <3 any avatar groups?

1. Some do. I have one of these for example: http://penclic.se/. Always fun when someone else is trying to use my computer.
2. Most of us have desks you can raise if you want to. Some even use them.
3. Not particularly.

1. Some do. I have one of these for example: http://penclic.se/. Always fun when someone else is trying to use my computer.

Real men use a Model M or a Das Keyboard. Keys ought to be big, heavy and moreover click when you press them. It should be an enjoyment to type on a keyboard, not feel like you are pressing your finger against a flat surface.

Reactions:
Kallocain probably is not, and will never be, a real man.;)

"You guys" as in customers, probably. "You guys" as in forumites, more doubtful.
In any case, those Steam numbers can rise partially so high due to their super discount sales, I suspect.
Not necessarily the most profitable customers (relatively, of course).

I don't care about those numbers really. I compare the amount of people who buy at day#1..

Real men use a Model M or a Das Keyboard. Keys ought to be big, heavy and moreover click when you press them. It should be an enjoyment to type on a keyboard, not feel like you are pressing your finger against a flat surface.

the best keyboard I ever used was the old Sun 6 keyboard: http://www.aquaphoenix.com/graphics/SunKeyboardType6/SunKeyboardType6_front_top-small.jpg

I don't believe in ergonomic keyboards, use better editors instead, but most importantly dont have the same keyboard at work and home so you dont get RSIs. we got some stock logitech keyboards at work and home I use a G15. macbook keyboards are also excellent for coding.

Oh Johan your Steam answer scares me a lot. As a modder this is scary. But I have faith.

But good Sir, we knew the answer before we posted our questions. The tip was with the way the new "expansion policy" was introduced: "...CK II fans...the first to benefit."

Shortly after, SOTS II revealed the requirement of Steam.

It would be unwise for PI to do less business through Steam, but with every loss of one PI fan, PI could essentially make up 10 more simply by being more [Steam-oriented]. Not that PI wants to lose anyone, but there is a very strong opposition especially from their dedicated base. It's just business. But hopefully everyone will continue to support PI.

Valve won't tolerate options for losing business either, so I suspect that the PI-designed game launcher window will not have options to buy products outside of Steam. Also, Valve might require PI to not update games independently outside of Steam since more time being spent within the Steam matrix = more of a chance to buy something from them. So will the forum.paradoxplaza be as active later-on or will it even exist after having this officially announced Steam assimilation? That... part... is fuzzy to me yet, but I know Steam has their own dry and monotonic and humorless forums for their Properties to commune, interact and share game strategies.

I wish I had discovered PI sooner. My icon collection would have been impressive.

I'm not sure why you discuss keyboard when I linked to my clicking device. Of course I use a keyboard too, and when I'm not playing with an iPad or similar, my keyboards have keys yes...
I'm so glad I can ignore what real men are supposed to do or not. Or what real women are supposed to do or not for that matter. Few know this, but I'm actually an android. Schhh, don't tell anyone.