• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's not good, not good at all. Particularly given the lack of cool heads in Paris and people just itching for a war.

Good point.

It won't be long before the French start fighting themselves over the last criossant.

Oh! The Rebels seem to be on the loosing side... :D:D

Indeed they are. Of course I'm sure the British Air force has something to do with it. :)

Someone needs to cool the French down a bit.

That would be nice - but it's too late for that now. They have quite literally set the World on Fire.

That's not good, not good at all. Particularly given the lack of cool heads in Paris and people just itching for a war.

Indeed. You wouldn't expect the French to be war mongers after all of their military failures ... apparently they're itching for another defeat :p.

Good point.

It won't be long before the French start fighting themselves over the last criossant.

That would be funny to see. Although it might actually happen later on ...

Indeed. You wouldn't expect the French to be war mongers after all of their military failures ... apparently they're itching for another defeat :p.

How does that saying go?

"Doing something 99 times badly and expecting the 100th time to be better is insane."

Europe in Flames - Part 3

September 1 1936 …

Baldwin.jpg
Rommel.jpg

The British Prime Minister, Stanley Baldwin and the German Wehrmacht Dignitary sent to represent Germany, Erwin Rommel.

Katsumoto was finishing his meeting with the British Prime Minister and a German dignitary. Stanley Baldwin had been giving a speech for the last half an hour, outlining his goals for a united Europe and a grand alliance between Germany, Britain and Japan. Still the night was young, as the phrase went. He had in fact noticed one of the women at the party. Perhaps he would be able to speak to her later. Perhaps they might even take a liking to each other. At that point, he was completely unaware that a typhoon of change had struck the world.
“The greatest crime to the people of the world, is to tell them that the Old Frontiers remain. Our alliance of Germany and Britain cannot alone hold the pillar of democracy. Japan, the light in the East is both a worthy ally and a valued democracy. I have no doubt that our nations will become closer and more united in the face of French aggression. The freedom of the Manchu people from the various armed and warring factions of China is paramount to democracy in Asia.
“The once endless and boundless relationship of France and Britain has ended. Britain and her Empire will not stand for French Aggression in the world. Further, we will stand by the Spanish Republic and defend her in Europe.
At this point, the Prime Minister was interrupted. A man in a suit quite literally ran up to him from behind and whispered into his ear. Katsumoto looked on, trying to make out what was occurring.
“Ladies and Gentleman” began the Prime Minister “I’m afraid that this joyous evening must be cut short. Good night and God bless you all” The PM was walking off stage when he grabbed one of the men and held him by the collar.
Regardless of what was occurring, Katsumoto had realised a new sense of urgency in the room. He turned to the German Diplomat and spoke quietly as they were preparing to leave.
“Herr Rommel, Do you know what could be going on?”
“No. I am afraid that I have not been notified of any developments. I believe that we are wanted” he said, gesturing to a pair of men in suits walking towards them.
“So it would appear”
Katsumoto looked at them with a glint of curiosity in his eyes. What could possibly be so urgent ? He wondered.
“Sir Takamori, Herr Rommel. If you would please come with us. The Prime Minister requires your presence immediately”
After a quick acknowledgment and nod of agreement, the men were lead out of the Dining Hall and into one of the Private Chambers in the West Wing.

2 Hours Later …

“Japan is not ready for a world war. We would need at least a year of preparation to even contemplate it” stated Katsumoto. They had been arguing for the last hour to proceed. The French bastards had launched an invasion of Spain to aid the Fascist rebels. The idiots had sparked World War II.
“Nor is Germany, neither Britain and her Empire prepared for the war. France has caught us off guard”
commented Rommel. All three men knew that the war would be long and hard, if not impossible.
“So what do we do? None of us is prepared for war. Spain will surely fall and Germany has only recently begun upgrading her arsenal and rearming”
“Europe is a shadow of her former self … Japan can fight in Europe but it will be hard. We will be fighting in Siam, Indochina and China itself. Still, there is some hope. If we can gather allies in Asia, we can fight. With Australia, New Zealand and Japan fighting on the mainland in Asia, we will give our best efforts to thwart French ambitions in China. Upon the realisation of that goal we will come to Europe. Otherwise, Japan will be overstretched and Asia will collapse” Katsumoto argued. On this point, he would not cave. His priority was Japan. His life was Japan and he would not see her fall. Surely, Europe would not collapse so soon. Germany had fought for 4 years and the last war ended on enemy territory while Britain stood a sea apart from France with greatest Fleet the world had seen.
“I am a man of peace. I am longing and praying for peace, but I will not surrender the safety and security of the British constitution” Baldwin declared.
“Germany will not be subjugated to the machinations of a cruel and foreign tyrant” Rommel announced.
“Then we go to War. I will begin my return trip to Japan immediately” Katsumoto declared.
Of course at that moment he had no idea how he would. Mainland Europe was not safe. Any trip to Egypt and through Persia to India would bring him dangerously close to China. The French fleets would guard the sea ways and would patrol the Indian Ocean from Madagascar.
Aeroplane travel would be the way … if he could take a plane to a neutral country then he might be able to get into the Soviet Union and travel to Persia. Once there he could take a civilian liner to the former Dutch colonies where he could return to Japan before issuing the declaration of war …
It seemed to be the only way back home.

Last time France invaded Spain, they got their arses kicked...

Old habits die hard, you see :D

This time it will be Alexander and Guderian who defeat the frogs!

The 'Spanish ulcer' will strike again I guess. British aid from Gibraltar and horrible terrain make Spain ideal for the defence.

THis time it should be easier for a certain rifleman to rise from the ranks.... :D

This will be a world war from the kick off it seems, makes it a tough call for Britain. Germany and Japan have it 'easy' as they lack the world wide comitments so can just focus on Europe and Asia respectively, but Britain will have to divide her efforts plus take responsibiltiy for clearing out the route between the two theatres. As such I suspect Britain will focus her efforts on the Med for quite some time just trying to hold the old favourites of Gibrlatar, Malta and Suez.

What chance a second Battle of the Nile? ;)

How does that saying go?

"Doing something 99 times badly and expecting the 100th time to be better is insane."

Made me laugh. :p

Last time France invaded Spain, they got their arses kicked...

Old habits die hard, you see :D

Indeed. Whether it is the habit of invading Spain, or having their arses kicked is yet to be seen ...
This time it will be Alexander and Guderian who defeat the frogs!

To Victory !

The 'Spanish ulcer' will strike again I guess. British aid from Gibraltar and horrible terrain make Spain ideal for the defence.

If only the AI was that smart ...

THis time it should be easier for a certain rifleman to rise from the ranks.... :D

I'm really trying to think of who you are talking about ... but for the life of me I can't ...

This will be a world war from the kick off it seems, makes it a tough call for Britain. Germany and Japan have it 'easy' as they lack the world wide comitments so can just focus on Europe and Asia respectively, but Britain will have to divide her efforts plus take responsibiltiy for clearing out the route between the two theatres. As such I suspect Britain will focus her efforts on the Med for quite some time just trying to hold the old favourites of Gibrlatar, Malta and Suez.

What chance a second Battle of the Nile? ;)

You have guessed correctly. Britain focused on the Mediterranean for a long while.

As for the Second Battle of the Nile ... you'll have to wait, but I can promise that Egypt will be the sight of a Campaign.

**On a different note - I can promise an update delving into British politics on the day before a declaration of war is coming tomorrow. It will feature some faces that will be important in the coming years - and will set the stage for the role of a crowd favorite.**

Wait until the French have most of Spain. :D

Sean Bean...the most interesting name I have heard all day.

Wait until the French have most of Spain. :D

Then they will figure out some way to muck it up.

Europe in Flames - Part 4

September 2 1936 …

WinstonChurchill.jpg
Chamberlain-1.jpg

Winston Churchill and Neville Chamberlain would play a large part in Britain's role in the Second World War, both at home and abroad.

Katsumoto, Rommel, Neville Chamberlain, Winston Churchill and other MPs were arrayed around the meeting place of the Conservative Party. The fire in the corner, and the slow burn of the cigars light the room. They had been discussing the coming declarations of war against the French and the total unpreparedness of the German and British Armies. The German Army had only recently begun to discuss rearmament after Britain agreed to support Germany in her efforts and the British Army consisted of perhaps 250 000 men. A shadow of it’s former self, the Empire was poorly defended. Only the Navy seemed as if it would do it’s part, the air force and armies had little funding and even fewer recruits.
“Stanley Baldwin is not a war leader. He is not a man with who the people believe can lead us to victory” said Chamberlain.
“He is an isolationist. A man content to keep Britain across the Channel and away from Europe. If we want any hope of victory against the French then we need to replace him” Chamberlain continued.
“Worse than an Isolationist, he is a defeatist. He said it himself that ‘The Bomber Will Always Get Through’. The Allied people can only be disheartened by his actions and even more so by his words” added Churchill, before returning his Cuban Cigar to his mouth.
Katsumoto had largely avoided Politics in Europe. The most he cared about was that there was Germany, England and her Commonwealth, Spain, Greece and Rumania on one side and just about the entire rest of Europe on the other.
“He has not given the necessary priority to the army in his rearmament, the most he has done is fund the Navy to keep Britain safe. The Airforce is meagre and our Army is barely able to keep control of our own territories, let alone fight a war” commented Clement Attlee.
Major General Rommel was sitting back in his chair, smoking his cigar and lost in thought. Katsumoto was picking up on what was happening. It wasn’t hard to do. Rommel spoke first.
“So, I assume that you would like Germany to support a new candidate ?”
“Precisely” said Chamberlain. “As we would from Japan. Do we have your support ?”
At this Katsumoto was taken aback. He was loyal to the British Empire and it’s King, but he and Stanley had become friends since he had taken office. Of course, the man was by no means a war leader. Thinking carefully he examined his options. If he supported them, he would betray a friend. If he did not support them, he risked the possibility of a lost war and a wedge between Britain and Japan. He took his glass of rum from the table and drank the remaining half before setting it back down.
“Who would you suggest replace Baldwin ?” he asked. Depending on who it was, the decision could be easier. If they were proposing a Conservative Party member, the odds were in their favour. Katsumoto could barely stand the Labour MPs, let alone Unions and their policies. Thank god that Japan was spared that nonsense.
“We would propose that Chamberlain took the role of Prime Minister” said Churchill, exhaling a whirling display of smoke in his breath. Rommel and Katsumoto both turned to Chamberlain.
“Do you think you are ready for such a task Chamberlain?” asked Rommel.
“I believe that I can rise to the occasion. If Britain demands it to secure victory and her safety, then I will do what is necessary” he said.
It was not like Chamberlain to make a move for power, even if it was going to be in the best interest of the country. Katsumoto turned to Churchill, still smoking his cigar in the leather chair beside the fireplace. The plan was not Chamberlain’s, that was obvious. Churchill was behind it. As the realisation donned on him, Churchill grinned, his face lit by the fire.
“So, my old friend. What does Japan say to us, the Conservative Party?”
As Katsumoto considered his loyalties, his honour, and his two friends, the room grew silent. He took a cigar from a wooden box on the glass table in the middle of my room.
“What do you get out of this Churchill?” he asked, lighting up the cigar. Churchill smiled. Whatever answer would be given, Katsumoto knew that it would not be the whole story.
“What more could any Englishman ask, than to serve the King and Country in both of it’s most trying times?” he said. If this was a reminder to Katsumoto of his heritage and loyalties, it was unwelcome.
“And you believe that Chamberlain would bring Britain and the allies victory? That the war would progress in our favour? That under Chamberlain we can together beat the French and bring a new era of prosperity to the World?”
Churchill paused at that. Glancing at Neville and back to Katsumoto before speaking once more. “We have surmounted all the perils and endured all the agonies of the past. We shall provide against and thus prevail over the dangers and problems of the future, withhold no sacrifice, grudge no toil, seek no sordid gain, fear no foe. All will be well. We have, I believe, within us the life-strength and guiding light by which the tormented world around us may find the harbour of safety, after a storm-beaten voyage”
“A good answer” Katsumoto said, it was an answer which had affirmed his position. “A good argument” he continued.
“So then, what shall it be?” asked Neville Chamberlain.
“Japan, will support your move on but one condition”
“And what is your condition?” asked Clement Attlee.
“Winston Churchill is to be reinstated as the Head of the Admiralty”
“Done” said Chamberlain.
Katsumoto was content in this. Churchill simply stared back at him realising that his old friend had just thrown him back into the political spotlight. As he had once told Katsumoto in Private, ‘The statesman who yields to war fever must realise that once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events.’ Churchill had just become one of those slaves.

** Actually wrote this one yesterday although I'm already writing for the next chapter which is about 14 odd updates away, feeling a need to delve into politics a bit and to explain the origins of Neville's term as Prime Minister. **

Strange update, very strange. I must confess I find myself surprised Attlee was there and even more surprised that anyone in the room gave a damn what Japan thought on the subject. If the bulk of the Conservative party wanted Baldwin out and replaced by a war leader it would happen, the Tories have never been sentimental over leaders and can (and have) change leader at the drop of a hat if circumstances require it.

Thus who cares what Katsumoto thinks or what his 'conditions' are, strike and be done with it and let Japan adjust. If your particularly courteous tell Katsumoto before you strike, but don't let your actions be contingent on his blessing. If MPs think they can only act if he's happy they may as well all start learning Japanese and just dissolve Parliament.

As I said, a very strange scene and more than a little disturbing.

Still, one could argue that perhaps Winston thinks that the Japanese guy is a personal friend?

Strange update, very strange. I must confess I find myself surprised Attlee was there and even more surprised that anyone in the room gave a damn what Japan thought on the subject. If the bulk of the Conservative party wanted Baldwin out and replaced by a war leader it would happen, the Tories have never been sentimental over leaders and can (and have) change leader at the drop of a hat if circumstances require it.

Thus who cares what Katsumoto thinks or what his 'conditions' are, strike and be done with it and let Japan adjust. If your particularly courteous tell Katsumoto before you strike, but don't let your actions be contingent on his blessing. If MPs think they can only act if he's happy they may as well all start learning Japanese and just dissolve Parliament.

As I said, a very strange scene and more than a little disturbing.

Indeed, I had toyed with the idea of including Japan and Germany in the meeting - but decided to go with it because of a couple reasons.

1) - Britain is on the Edge of War. Allied Nations which are more prepared may be less willing to cooperate with her if she has removed the Prime Minister without meeting and discussing it with them.

2) - As trekaddict pointed out, Churchill and Katsumoto are personal friends. The relationship will be explored more later on.

3) - Britain's power has largely diminished and only recently did a rearmament program begin. Britain will essentially be leaning on her allies to take off pressure from her and to ensure her own survival, the new administration wants to have Allied cooperation since before it even comes to power to make sure that Allied cooperation is at a zenith.

4) - If Britain's major allies support the attempt at government by Neville then the British public might give it more support.

Even so, the British Parliament remains itself and his support was more just to gather more public approval. Even if Japan and Germany had said no, the move would have went ahead.

Due to that, we'll see later on if Chamberlain actually honours the agreement.

Still, one could argue that perhaps Winston thinks that the Japanese guy is a personal friend?

Correct. As previously stated, the two are old friends.

Chamberlain? Well, we shall see.

Peace in Our Time... War in the Next One?;)

Churchill and Chamberlain in the same cabinet? This will get nasty I guess.

And for Katsumoto to be friends with Churchill means he's either brilliant or insane :D.