• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #113 - Wonderful Views

Hello!

It was really great reading all your comments and questions last week, lots of fun ideas. This week we will be looking a bit more in depth at the wonder view. Which you can see below.

The wonder view. Please note that art is Work in progress and may change!

Firstly, we have the name of the wonder. This will change dynamically based on where it is built, and what upgrades it has. For example you might build ‘The Cathedral of Stockholm’. Then, after building the Spikes upgrade, this may become ‘The Bloody Cathedral of Stockholm’. We also have a dynamic description that works just like the naming system, but more detailed.

There is also an image of the wonder, which is dynamic to an extent as well. The background depends on where you are in the world (Desert, Jungle, Snow etc) and the depiction of the wonder changes depending on the stage, going from being in construction to highly decorated or even in ruins.

nrmRkFJujCn4kn5F0W4DjlrOjHnrc4jvyY1SIKvJgBMw2_G4yPM0yRqLY8Fqy92sVhRRDwX4HolaHDiDV9YdSu2D2zpTIFPGTWj58aBeyS2EbHnPwsdcMQXf99N6qLy0_4aR8Xx6

Now, below this we have the modifier box, where you can find all the modifiers provided by the wonder. Some of these are granted by the wonder itself and some are granted by upgrades, but they are all listed here. These modifiers can either affect the top liege, or the province the wonder is in.

_NWlleCJZY3aL1Bmd8CVbi-3wJDZwDMomiSET_h0Z7llUZzJkZVapt0dqad4zVR2sy0U6lYjYk6qna5cbBUHQSuLnk83XoM_EVFaZ8i7OPnTwSHHzpEFmNUQpo-cKtCYpZqmrx6-

Below this we have the progress bar, which will show your progress when upgrading to a new stage of your wonder.

Lastly, we have the upgrade view which is split into two tabs, completed, and available. In the ‘completed’ tab you can see a breakdown of the upgrades you have built and their effects, and in the ‘available’ tab you can see all the upgrades you are able to build.

let us know, your questions and comments and we will do our best to answer them!

Also as a note, a lot of people have predicted that the ancient Egyptian Religion will be making a return. I can confirm that the Egyptian Religion will NOT be in this upcoming patch. That doesn’t mean we are against it in the future though….

Reactions:
Thank you for the update. Looks really exciting. Will there be a patch with bugfixes in the near future, or will there be no further patches until this update is released?

I take it months in the description will eventually change to years, then decades, and finally centuries, correct?

Great idea, looking forward to playing with this feature in game!

Do the wonders only concern temples or can, for example, great palaces, monuments such as statues or maybe more specialized wonder constructions be built (Akin to the Theodosian walls of Constantinople)?

Looks great!!!

I can't help but hope that in addition to wonders this feature of "out of holding buldings" can be put in use in order to support a better economy model.
Lumberjacks, mines, clay pits, hamlets, even monasteries and universities for science.

Looks awesome! I can't wait to get my hands on this from a modding perspective.
That aside, it'll surely be an amazing addition to the vanilla game.

Can't wait to hear more.

Does this mean we will finally have the terrain of holdings tied to actual terrain and not culture. Its always a bit strange converting Jerusalem to English and then suddenly having the desert change to grassland

Great idea, looking forward to playing with this feature in game!

Do the wonders only concern temples or can, for example, great palaces, monuments such as statues or maybe more specialized wonder constructions be built (Akin to the Theodosian walls of Constantinople)?
All sorts of wonders will exist, I've confirmed a few different types before but it won't just be limited to temples.

How hard will building and upgrading wonders be? I'd hate to have a situation where every province has a fully upgraded wonder by the end of the game. Will wonders be restricted some how (cost, prestige, piety, rank) to slow proliferation?

Interface looks lovely!

Can we see the the province/holding view, and the button which opens up the wonders interface?

Are wonders locked behind technology?

How expensive are they to build?

Thanks!

Will wonders appear on map, like the buildings in the Corners of the World pack? Will we have several options for the wonders, for example, cathedral/palace/mausoleum...?

P.S: talking about the corners of the world, can you add more corners? I would like to see the walls of Constantinople and the Colosseum of Rome :)

How hard will building and upgrading wonders be? I'd hate to have a situation where every province has a fully upgraded wonder by the end of the game. Will wonders be restricted some how (cost, prestige, piety, rank) to slow proliferation?
They are going to have a large upfront cost and a ticking cost while they are being built. We also don't want too many wonders so we will be experimenting to try and get a good balance.

N
Interface looks lovely!

Can we see the the province/holding view, and the button which opens up the wonders interface?

Are wonders locked behind technology?

How expensive are they to build?

Thanks!
Not currently locked behind tech but we could end up doing that for some of them.

The province/holding view is still very WIP, so no. :)

And the exact price isn't decided but the idea is very expensive.