• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #113 - Wonderful Views

Hello!

It was really great reading all your comments and questions last week, lots of fun ideas. This week we will be looking a bit more in depth at the wonder view. Which you can see below.

The wonder view. Please note that art is Work in progress and may change!

Firstly, we have the name of the wonder. This will change dynamically based on where it is built, and what upgrades it has. For example you might build ‘The Cathedral of Stockholm’. Then, after building the Spikes upgrade, this may become ‘The Bloody Cathedral of Stockholm’. We also have a dynamic description that works just like the naming system, but more detailed.

There is also an image of the wonder, which is dynamic to an extent as well. The background depends on where you are in the world (Desert, Jungle, Snow etc) and the depiction of the wonder changes depending on the stage, going from being in construction to highly decorated or even in ruins.

nrmRkFJujCn4kn5F0W4DjlrOjHnrc4jvyY1SIKvJgBMw2_G4yPM0yRqLY8Fqy92sVhRRDwX4HolaHDiDV9YdSu2D2zpTIFPGTWj58aBeyS2EbHnPwsdcMQXf99N6qLy0_4aR8Xx6

Now, below this we have the modifier box, where you can find all the modifiers provided by the wonder. Some of these are granted by the wonder itself and some are granted by upgrades, but they are all listed here. These modifiers can either affect the top liege, or the province the wonder is in.

_NWlleCJZY3aL1Bmd8CVbi-3wJDZwDMomiSET_h0Z7llUZzJkZVapt0dqad4zVR2sy0U6lYjYk6qna5cbBUHQSuLnk83XoM_EVFaZ8i7OPnTwSHHzpEFmNUQpo-cKtCYpZqmrx6-

Below this we have the progress bar, which will show your progress when upgrading to a new stage of your wonder.

Lastly, we have the upgrade view which is split into two tabs, completed, and available. In the ‘completed’ tab you can see a breakdown of the upgrades you have built and their effects, and in the ‘available’ tab you can see all the upgrades you are able to build.

let us know, your questions and comments and we will do our best to answer them!

Also as a note, a lot of people have predicted that the ancient Egyptian Religion will be making a return. I can confirm that the Egyptian Religion will NOT be in this upcoming patch. That doesn’t mean we are against it in the future though….

Reactions:
Hello!

Also as a note, a lot of people have predicted that the ancient Egyptian Religion will be making a return. I can confirm that the Egyptian Religion will NOT be in this upcoming patch. That doesn’t mean we are against it in the future though….

So we're getting Celtic Paganism instead?

Also, please implement dynamic heresies using the Holy Fury random religions system as a base. :rolleyes:

Maybe you could make it that anyone could OWN a wonder but you have to be a certain culture/religion/government type to build or improve it. As in - yes we just took over the Hagia Sophia so we get the prestige for it, but we can't turn Hagia Sophia III into Hagia Sophia IV.

Similar to the above suggestion maybe there could be branching build paths, as in Hagia Sophia III is all fine and dandy as a wondrous Orthodox Church, but now we Ottomans would like to add minarets and turn it into Muslim Hagia Sophia IV, as opposed to say an enormous stained glass window which is the only option for Orthodox Hagia Sophia IV. Of course to avoid having to cater to every possibility you might just limit the options to a few such as turning cathedrals into mosques and vice versa, turning pagan dolmens into Catholic statues etc.

Looks nice! I got the impression during the last dlc that Holy Fury was the last. How long will you make dlc for ck2? Not that I'm complaining, I love ck2. Another question, will there be wonders already on the map during the 1066 start date? For example, Hagia Sophia and will we have the same interface and upgrade capabilities for those?

Hello!

It was really great reading all your comments and questions last week, lots of fun ideas. This week we will be looking a bit more in depth at the wonder view. Which you can see below.

The wonder view. Please note that art is Work in progress and may change!
I have a feeling like there's a missing picture between those two lines...

Thanks for confirming that you won't include Egyptian religion, but that you might be open for it. At least we know better for what to get excited:)
I do hope in the future you will add that and more though.

Aaah... Tuscany is Dan! Hi Dan! :D

Mmm, i agree that not every county should have wonders, though pls don't limit too much. Remember (for example) that pretty much any major city in Europe boasted a cathedral.... That is without considering universities, monasteries and palaces. So go easy on the limiting ok:D

Lastly, how do you plan to work around wondrous counties such as Alexandria or Rome? If it's impossible to have multiple wonders in a county, which i presume to be the case, then maybe add them as buildable buildings in holdings.

I'm loving it so far, and aside from the graphics, you guys seem to be going at a really good pace! I'm really excited, hope it doesn't take too long for us to get our greedy hands on it, because I'm holding back playing until this release.

Will this change already buildable 'wonder-esque' buildings in the game? I'm specifically thinking about the Third Temple in Jerusalem, will it still be built via a Decision or is there any chance of converting it to be a special Wonder?
It might affect some of them, we will decide case by case.

Will I be able to switch out upgrades after upgrade construction?

How much initial cost are we talking?

I'm gonna be honest if we could keep the whole scaling to income away from this it would be great.

The costs are still numbers we're tweaking but currently there's no plan to scale any of the costs by ruler income.

So this means that Kemetism will be coming in the expansion alongside this free update, right? :). You can't trick me with your clever wording, Ra's glorious light cannot be shadowed by Apep for long!

I love those dynamic upgrades. Please, tell me we can bury our rulers in cathedrals, you know, like the Canterbury Cathedral, granting more modifiers based on the corpses in there, like having a Saint ruler and burying him there changes the Cathedral's name to 'Cathedral of St. -Ruler- the -Nickname-"

In holy fury, pagan monuments things like Irminusl has become modifier, will Irminsul become wonder?

And what about buisiness focus tower(leaning one too) and maze? If leaning tower is going to be a wonder, then how about real leaning tower built at 1372?

As I may be jumping in an answering questions a bit here and there I will follows Dan's example and introduce myself!

I'm Daniel, one of the programmers.
I'm also the one who implemented this UI (Supported by the team with design and art though of course!)

Should we get really nice discount if we decide to build Wonder in "holy place" of our own religion?

Edit: Or even better - is it possible that wonder can even replace one of 5 holy places if it would be complete?

Still think this could and should lead to a capital city mechanic in future.

I would love to build a cathedral for my archbish, bribe or shut up my vassal pope by building the vatican and locking him inside it etc. Would be fun for religious and vassal options to have monastries and 'big' religious sites like they had in history. I know bishoprics sort of show this already but a variety could be good. Some areas had far more monastries than set churches and cathedrals etc. Maybe even make it an upgrade/age path, as monastries in the 700s became massive cities and cathedral towns later on, or were abandoned or looted to be replaced by other things.

So they could be really good early game resources but really hard to keep up and defend?

As for wonders, can we build permanent military stuff too? Offa's dyke, rebuild Hadrian's wall, the rhine frontier, sea forts etc? That would be cool, and they built them as often as they built castles (and those are everywhere in ckii).

As I may be jumping in an answering questions a bit here and there I will follows Dan's example and introduce myself!

I'm Daniel, one of the programmers.
I'm also the one who implemented this UI (Supported by the team with design and art though of course!)
How many people that name can be shorten to Dan are working on this update?o_O:p