• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's about time we took a closer look at the districts and policies in Cities: Skylines. Without further ado grab the popcorn, find a comfortable seat and enjoy the ride!

If you want to refresh your memory about the previous dev diaries, check here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?802652-Cities-Skylines-dev-diary-archive!

In Cities: Skylines we wanted the cities to be big but we also wanted to give the player control over smaller parts of the city and make it possible to customize the different areas as they see fit. In addition we wanted to provide the possibility to create specialized industry and connect it to the functionality of what would become the districts.

City and district policies are the natural companion to the creation of districts and they provide the tools to customize what happens in any of the districts, from setting service policies to affecting taxes and city planning such as banning highrise buildings and heavy traffic.

Both the district feature and the different policies unlock as the city grows and the player progresses in the game. They make for great supporting tools to handle the larger cities that occupy many map tiles.

What are the districts?
At their core districts are areas that the player can create by painting them using the Paint District tool. Districts can be of any size and they can be used to simply create city boroughs that have distinct names like Manhattan and Bronx in New York or they can be used to fine tune a set of aspects from industrial types to the distribution of smoke detectors to lower the risk of house fires. When a district is created the game automatically gives it a name which can be changed at any point during the game.

15n5a1Z.png

Painting a district using the medium brush. The game gives automatically a name for the newly created district which the player is able edit at any time if they want to. The new district also adopts all the city-wide policies which can also be changed after the creation of the district.

District panel – The statistics
After a district is created the player can access its statistics which lists population numbers and the different age groups, average level for different zone types and the average land value in the district. Through this panel the player can access the policies for that particular district. The policies currently active are displayed in the district panel as well as under the district name on the map.

5lDP3ir.png

The district panel for Highland Park. Here you can see how high the population is and how it is divided between the different age groups. You can also see other stats and what policies are currently active in the district. The district policies panel is open on the right side of the screen.

Setting policies – City vs. districts
There are two ways to set policies:
City-wide policies are accessed and set by clicking the Policies button on the main UI, next to the Economy button. This applies all the set policies to the whole city, including any districts already created. Although the player can then adjust the districts individually.
District policies are set by accessing the district panel by clicking the district name and from there clicking the Policies button. These policies affect only the district that is accessed when the policy is set.

NL6lmqJ.png

The district panel for Docks district. Since this district has only industry, its population is zero. However, as there are quite many industrial and commercial buildings, its worker amount is relatively high. While the city-wide Education boost is a good policy to have, in this particular district is serves no purpose so the next logical step would be to turn it off in this district and any other industrial district while keeping it on for the rest of the city.

What are policies?
Policies are divided into four categories: Industrial specialization, Services, Taxation and City planning. Most of the policies can be set to both the whole city and districts with only the industrial specialization policies requiring always a district to apply it to. Policies usually have pros and cons depending the nature of the policy. For example, Power Usage policy decreases energy consumption but costs a little extra to the city since it has to set up energy meters and additional equipment to monitor the energy levels in buildings.

Industrial specialization policies
Cities: Skylines features four industrial specialization policies that can be set by accessing the District tool and selecting one of the four policies and then clicking a district. When the policy is set, an icon appear both under the name of the district as well as in the district panel and the zoned industry starts to change to the set industry type. The District tool also features Generic industry option which reverts the specialized industry back to generic industry.

rGuWmP4.png

Magnolia District has been set to include agricultural industry. The industrial specialization policies are set through the Districts tool.

XHtTDEP.png

A closer look at the Magnolia District. As you can see from the pie chart, most of the zone types consist of industrial building with only few residential and commercial buildings near the edges of the district.

uUpb6CW.png

Petrol Square consists of oil industry buildings. (Don't worry about the factory smokes - they are included in the game but didn't make it to the screenshots because we added them like yesterday :D)

ott2HH6.png

Generic industry policy reverts specialized industry into generic industry.

Policy categories
Services policies affect the different city service areas of the city. One gives a boost to education while another distributes smoke detectors to all buildings.

Pidl1dA.png

The service policies affect how the different city services work within the districts and city-wide.

Taxation policies allows a more fine tuned approach to the tax rates of different zone types and densities.

Y3Q6zul.png

Taxation policies affect the zones and the player is able either give tax reliefs to the zones within a district or raise taxes to get more money if they see that the businesses are booming and stable with enough customers.

City planning affects how the city or particular district will look when these policies are in effect. For example, the player is able to ban highrise buildings and heavy traffic in an area or turn all residential buildings into smart buildings that increase the land value around them.

nlX25oP.png

With city planning the player is able to control certain aspects of how the city develops.

- Henkka also known as an artist, designer and level designer at Colossal Order

Historical districts? Will the game have a timeline with building styles changing over time, or will it be 2012 forever?

From what I've seen, only modern day building styles. I think it would be an extremely big task to model e.g. old European cities with medieval city layouts and buildings.

I may have read that wrong, but did it say that changing a citywide policy will overwrite the district policy?

I'd like some clarification regarding this too. Sounds like there's a risk that you'd lose all your painstakingly configured district policies if you were to accidentally enforce them citywide.

Historical districts? Will the game have a timeline with building styles changing over time, or will it be 2012 forever?

I think it could be a nice DLC for them to build some historical cities as they exits now and let you take over (something like Istanbul would be a great challenge). You would have historical zones (to prevent change and you would have to decide where to update this (potentially causing even more traffic)

Some of the policies are strange. No pets? Has this been done anywhere in the world on a district level? Some building allow or disallow pets, but I've never heard of a district banning them.

Smoke detector ordinance? Is this the 1970's or something? Smoke detectors/alarms are standard in all buildings and have been for quite some time. This should not be toggle-able unless the game is set in a 3rd world country or 30 years ago. Might as well have a "electrical system" or "indoor plumbing" ordinances.

Some of the policies are strange. No pets? Has this been done anywhere in the world on a district level? Some building allow or disallow pets, but I've never heard of a district banning them.

Smoke detector ordinance? Is this the 1970's or something? Smoke detectors/alarms are standard in all buildings and have been for quite some time. This should not be toggle-able unless the game is set in a 3rd world country or 30 years ago. Might as well have a "electrical system" or "indoor plumbing" ordinances.

+1

You would actually make smoke detectors optional??? Really???

And DISTRICT WIDE pet prohibition??? Can you tell me anywhere in the world this exists?

NL6lmqJ.png

Theses screenshots makes me cringe hard.

No modern city would have rocks and irregular shores near the sea or a river, especially not where the industrial port is situated.

Shanghai_the_bund_from_Jin_Mao.JPG

7060259999_59ec595457_b.jpg

aerial1.jpg

Last edited:
+1

You would actually make smoke detectors optional??? Really???

And DISTRICT WIDE pet prohibition??? Can you tell me anywhere in the world this exists?

Where do you live where smoke detectors are obligatory on every building and house? There are lots of areas, especially suburban houses without them. At least where i live.

I imagine district dogs prohibition for muslim districts, depending on how strict sharia law is excercised on that area. This is for dogs. Other animals, usually aren't a problem unless it's a pigs.

I don't know why you're making such a fuss about ordinances. Especially since these ordinances are totally optional.

In china and other Asian countries, i think singapore and hongkong have some sort of pet prohibition going on.

It's not a strange idea for cities to ban pets.

Why are people complaining about having options? wat? if you don't like the policy don't enact it...

Also personally I love the art-style, and TotallyMoo said on Reddit that their are different filters that can cause cities to look different.

I can't help but be excited...

First of all I love what I see here. So very happy with the way this is shaping up.

Pros:
Love the statistics breakdown for districts, very detailed.
I like the way the train tracks and trains look.
The cities look large and give the impression that there is plenty of room to play with.
Having policies that affect only districts, especially the ban on heavy traffic and high rise buildings. Very nice.
Damaged foliage in polluted areas.

Cons:
There are some elements that highlight the repetition in visuals such as the "Pop Soda" sign, donut truck, etc. You don't want to see these too frequently.
The fences around farms. Remove them and they will be much better looking.
Industrial is still too clean looking. Dirt and filth need to be more obvious in these areas.
Colors are still a little too bright and cheerful. Less saturation.

Overall, CO you are doing a great job. This is a day one purchase as far as I am concerned.

I don't know... I don't understand why people want a pure grey and brown city... maybe make a policy to disallow colorful architecture? x).

A lot of things that some people consider a problem and others don't can most likely be solved with modifications, which will make everybody happy because options are cool.

Haha, I thought the Pet Ban was a joke! But it is nice to see it there as an option. Definitely. Let everyone make their own city their own ways!

This is something that should be in all true city simulators. The ability to define and tweak the *behaviors* of a city, not just the infrastructure. And I am glad to see this is a core mechanic on which the rest of the game depends on, and not just an add-on.

+1 For the sidenote on Petrol Square:
(Don't worry about the factory smokes - they are included in the game but didn't make it to the screenshots because we added them like yesterday)

There is no smoke alarm in my flat. And I often see firemen handing out fliers to people about installing one. Definitely not an unusual policy.

KyleJ - I kind of worded my statement wrong. I agree with you that there is a lot of grey and I don't want more of that either. I love having color. I was referring to the way the cars, trucks, and containers are so very bright red, orange, green, etc. I also agree that this is not that important as the mod community will most certainly make other options available. Hope that clears up my position as I think we actually agree more than not.

The pet ban could just be a placeholder for now and maybe we shouldn't read too much into it. I doubt any of the policies will be just for fun....then again maybe pets make people happier at the expense of postal worker's being occasionally mauled by the ;)