• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KiratRawr

Colonel
1 Badges
Nov 22, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
Prologue: 867

Daramdin, Petty Kingdom of Limbuwan

Daramdin.png

Daramdin bhatti.png

Saiyok Hang Panthar, Ngapo Na Hang of Daramdin, Iching and Ngapo Jungahang of Yangwarok

A man and a woman arrived at the tavern right in the center of Daramdin village. He was a middle-aged Kirati nobleman named Saiyok Hang Panthar while she a lowborn woman in her early thirties named Iching. The two noticed that it was awfully quiet for a place where the drunks gathered. Saiyok Hang thought the silence was due to Daramdin’s status as a small village whereas Iching was of the mind that Ngapo Na Hang, a workaholic religious man, kept a tight leash on the drinking habits of his subjects.

“Please seat down.” The Ngapo of Daramdin motioned to the new arrivals. Seated beside him at the table was Ngapo Jungahang Yangwarok. Both men were a head shorter than Saiyok Hang. The owner of the tavern, a Lepcha woman, delivered two bowls of chhaang and went upstairs.

“I have reserved this place for the night and nobody will disturb us.” Na Hang said before either Saiyok Hang or Iching could ask about the silence in the tavern. “After all, we are here to discuss highly-sensitive matters related to the realm.”

“What about the owner?” Saiyok Hang raised his eyebrows.

“Her silence has been bought. And besides, the woman is a loyal subject.”

“Ngapo Na Hang, so it is just the four of us plus this tavern owner?” Iching asked, somewhat hesitatingly.

“I am afraid shaman Chesbi and Panchthar’s mayor Indhang are Mabo Hang loyalists. The rest of the people at the court are either your or Mabo Hang’s own family.” Na Hang looked at Saiyok Hang before finishing the sentence. Besides the ruling Lasahang dynasty and the families of Na Hang Daramdin and Jungahang Yangwarok, the Saiyok Hang’s House of Panthar were currently the only other noble family in the Petty Kingdom of Limbuwan.

“We do not need too many people.” Jungahang Yangwarok finally spoke. “The four of us are more than enough to kill Prabhu Mabo Hang.”

2022_08_23_7.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Note: The game version is 1.5 aka Royal Court dlc one. The only mod used is Fullscreen Barbershop.

Paradox has done a really great job with the Kirati names in CK3. These are names Real Life modern-day Kirati people hardly use (mostly Hindu/Indian first names) but were 100% used by historical Kirati people. And when Royal Court came with hybrid culture, I just had to try and make a Himalayan culture by mixing Kirati with Nepali.

Initially, I wanted to redo this old Licchavi AAR again.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...nocence-a-nepali-megacampaign-part-1.1448347/

But the accuracy with Kirati names, my familiarity with the area and the fact that the Kirati religion can be "reformed" as I want is what led to creation of this AAR instead of redoing an old AAR. Also planning to do a Siddi (Indo-African) AAR in future.

Further Note: Chhaang is like beer made using barley, millet or rice. Lepcha people are native to Daramdin village.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chhaang

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Well, starting an AAR with an assassination plot is unorthodox... But interesting. Subbed

Prologue: 868 Part 1

Tsongdu, Petty Kingdom of Sa’gya

Tsongdu.png

Phim Maiwa.png

Phim Maiwa

“My lord, allow me to speak as your marshal.” Ngapo Jungahang Yangwarok said as he walked behind Prabhu Mabo Hang of Limbuwan. “We lost many men trying to cross the mighty Himalayas. The Sa’gya army, which now outnumbers ours, is trailing us; in case you forgot.”

“What are you trying to say?” Mabo Hang asked in his usual indifferent tone.

“I believe we should have never launched this raid.”

“You may be the marshal, but never forget Jungahang, that I am the lord of Limbuwan and the army works for me. They go where I tell them to.”

“Was this worth it? This raid?” Jungahang questioned.

“It is worth for all the gold which shall soon be mine.” The Prabhu of Limbuwan answered without any care. The town of Tsongdu was being looted by Kirati soldiers while the two men were engaged in the conversation.

While Jungahang’s tongue spoke against the raid, his mind saw it as the biggest opportunity yet for Mabo Hang to be killed. He, Ngapo Na Hang of Daramdin, Iching and Saiyok Hang Panthar had planned multiple assassination attempts for over a year but never carried out any since the right opportunity never seemed to arise. Fortunately for the four, their conspiracy had never been discovered. They had hoped that Mabo Hang would die in this foolish raid he himself had planned. But so far, the Prabhu of Limbuwan seemed to evade death. He was not among the many Kirati men who fell while crossing the Himalayas and the roughly 200 men garrison of Tsongdu town had, anticlimactically, given up without a fight.

“My lords!” The shout made both Jungahang and Mabo Hang turn back to see three Kirati soldiers carrying in a severely injured man. “He is losing too much blood! Where is the physician?”

“Healer!” Mabo Hang yelled. Nobody answered. Then, the lord of Limbuwan started rolling up his sleeves. “It seems I might have to get my hands covered in blood.”

“Please step back. This is my patient!” Jungahang reached the severely injured man before Mabo Hang did. The lord of Limbuwan looked extremely angry at his vassal for having shouted at him but said nothing regarding it at that moment.

“How did this happen after the town surrendered to me?” Mabo Hang asked one of the soldiers.

“Idiot riled up the Tsongdu garrison by calling them cowards and challenging them to duels.”

“Hold him down for me.” Jungahang demanded. The three soldiers who had brought the injured man there complied with the order.

Once the bleeding was stopped and it seemed like the man would live, the soldiers expressed their gratitude to the Ngapo of Yangwarok. “Thank you, my lord. We would have lost Phim without you!”

2022_08_23_25.png

“The plan is simple. Ngapo Na Hang, you will pay the assassin. Saiyok Hang, you will make sure that there are no guards. Iching, you will leave a trail of candles to Mabo Hang’s bedchamber.” Jungahang was practically smiling that night.

“Would not the guards become suspicious?” Saiyok Hang seemed concerned.

“I saved the life of a soldier named Phim earlier today. His friends have agreed to be on guard duty today. They more or less have knowledge of the plan. You will invite them to drink in the name of Phim’s good health. That will be theirs and your alibi.”

“And who is this assassin that I have to pay?” Na Hang Daramdin asked.

“A man from the Tsongdu garrison. This way, even if he is discovered or fails, we can spin it as the locals trying to murder our dear prabhu.”

“No questions from me.” Iching said when Jungahang looked her to see if she too had any queries like Saiyok Hang or Na Hang had.

Prabhu Mabo Hang of Limbuwan finally died that night that after over a year of planning by the four conspirators. The next shift of guards found the dead body only in the morning. The corpse had a letter written in Tibetan attached to it with a dagger. This was used as proof by Jungahang and Na Hang (as direct vassals of the dead prabhu, they had the most authority) to blame the locals of Tsongdu for the murder. Furious Kirati soldiers started killing some of the townspeople in retaliation for the assassination of their prabhu. Only the intervention by the Kirati commanders Jungahang, Na Hang, Saiyok Hang and Mayor Indhang of Panchthar in restoring order among the ranks prevented a massacre.

Sa'gya and Nyalam.png

Jungahang left quickly on the fastest horse available to deliver the news of Mabo Hang’s death to his family and the realm. Iching and a few others too left Tsongdu as quickly as possible with Jungahang. Saiyok Hang Panthar asked his son Nembang Hang to go ahead with Jungahang as well but the young man refused to leave his father’s side.

Packed with the loot, the Kirati raiders were slow. Nearly two and a half months later, they were still inside the County of Nyalam and the enemy caught up with them on 12 May.

“Shields!” Mayor Indhang of Panchthar roared as arrows rained down on the Kiratis from the mountains.

“Hear me, Kirati dogs! This was just the warning.” A man roared in Tibetan as the arrows stopped raining. “I am Chomden Tsondu, the son of Ngapo Gongpa of Nyalam. You have brought upon the wrath of both my father and his overlord, Prabhu Sherab Yontan of Sa’gya, by raiding our town. Surrender now and your pathetic lives will be spared.”

“How many?” Saiyok Hang and his son Nembang Hang rode up to Indhang, followed closely by Na Hang who had translated the enemy. The four, as commanders, were the only Kirati warriors on horseback. Among the enemy, young Nembang Hang could only spot two riders.

“I estimate 200. Half of their men seem to be archers with the other half being peasants with farming tools.” Indhang scanned the battlefield. "That said, they are up there in the mountains and we are down here. It will be an uphill battle."

“We Kiratis are mountain people as well, mayor.” Na Hang now stood next to Indhang. “You and I will lead our best 100 men in a charge. Saiyok Hang and his son should remain behind with the rest as reserves in case anything happens.”

Na Hang and Indhang ordered the charge and galloped ahead, followed by 100 Kirati swordsmen with their shields raised to deflect the incoming arrows.

“Detrul! Jotra!” The one who had called himself Chomden Tsondu shouted after his archers retreated to the back row as the Kirati charge came close.

Almost out of thin air, 300 Tibetan spearmen led by Detrul and Jotra thundered down the mountains and smashed into the charging Kirati swordsmen both from the left and the right flanks. Na Hang stopped to fight the envelopment but Indhang continued to ride uphill without looking back.

One of the Tibetan commanders, Detrul, went after Indhang. Na Hang, who was locked in a duel with an enemy spearman, saw this happening just in time to steer his mount away and charge towards Detrul. The Kirati ngapo hit Detrul with his shield with such a force that the Tibetan warrior was thrown off horseback and broke his arm during the fall.

Indhang, meanwhile, was charging straight towards Chomden Tsondu with the assumption that the battle would be over once the latter was killed. The rider beside Chomden Tsondu, Sashi, noticed the incoming attack and blocked it with his sword. Sashi and Indhang were locked into a duel for a while until the Kirati mayor pierced his sword into the Tibetan warrior’s mount. Both Sashi and his horse came crashing down.

While Sashi had now become trapped under the weight of his own horse and incapable to duel, Indhang realized his mistake. His sword was struck in the horse of an enemy and he was weaponless against Chomden Tsondu. The Kirati mayor was dismounted after Chomden landed a major blow. His life would have ended there and then if not for the timely arrival of Saiyok Hang and his son. Indhang took Nembang Hang’s hand and quickly mounted the young man’s horse before Chomden Tsondu could reach both of them.

Saiyok Hang cleared the path with his sword while Nembang Hang and Indhang followed behind on the same horse. The battle was already over with Na Hang having signaled the retreat. Each Kirati soldier was on his own as he tried to escape the slaughter at Nyalam where over 200 Kirati lives were lost.

Slaughter at Nyalam.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I found this video of Nyalam town, historically known as Tsongdu.

That said, the battle here did not take place in town itself, but still nearby (the Kirati raiders marched very slowly with all that loot). But you can get the idea of what the battlefield would have been like.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The scheme has succeeded, and it looks like its victim at least somewhat deserved it, but the new regime doesn't have a good start...

The scheme has succeeded, and it looks like its victim at least somewhat deserved it, but the new regime doesn't have a good start...
Jungahang Yangwarok: I do not know how Mabo Hang died but he probably deserved it. What a coincidence that I just happen to be the new ruler after his death.

Note: I had Jungahang research Plenary Assemblies ASAP the moment he became the new lord of Limbuwan.

Plenary Assemblies.png

Further Note: Kirati culture has Religion Blending (-20% Faith Creation and Reformation Cost) plus Jungahang has Theology focus and 4/5 holy sites are within the de jure Kingdom of Himalaya. So don't get surprised in future if the religion reforms within this man's lifetime.

Kirati Culture.png

Holy Sites.png

Kirati Religion.png

Prologue: 868 Part 2

Yangwarok, Petty Kingdom of Limbuwan

Yangwarok.png

Jungahang's Council.png

Ngapo Na Hang of Daramdin, Mayor Lepmuhang of Dhankuta, Shaman Muda Hang Lasahang, Mayor Indhang of Panchthar and Nembang Hang Panthar

Ngapo Na Hang of Daramdin, Mayor Indhang of Panchthar, Saiyok Hang Panthar and his son Nembang Hang led the surviving 300 Kirati raiders back to the Petty Kingdom of Limbuwan. As soon as they had arrived within the borders of Limbuwan, a message arrived ordering the army should head to the new capital Yangwarok instead of the old one Ilam to the surprise of everyone.

When the four Kirati warriors arrived at Yangwarok with rest of the army, they were even more surprised to learn that Jungahang was now the new Prabhu of Limbuwan instead of the deceased Mabo Hang Lasahang’s son Muda Hang. Later that night, they learned that Muda Hang Lasahang, an extremely religious man, had apparently decided to become a shaman in order to wash off the sins from the Lasahang family instead of taking over the throne. He, like many other religious Kiratis, seem to take the death of Mabo Hang as sign that Tagera Ningwaphuma the Supreme Being was angered by the actions of the Lasahang dynasty. Mabo Hang’s father, Uba Hang, had banned blood sacrifice and instead made his subjects offer flowers and fruits to the great spirit during his reign.

“Looks like blood sacrifice will be back. Uba Hang had banned the ritual unnecessarily as though we are Buddhists. Even some Hindus sacrifice animals to their gods from what I know.” Saiyok Hang seemed pleased. Seated beside him was his son Nembang Hang and at the opposite side of the table were Na Hang and Indhang. The tavern they were in was full of Kirati soldiers who had survived the Battle of Tsongdu.

“You are a Yumaist who does not worship Tagera Ningwaphuma. So, you may not understand this but bringing back animal sacrifice is a huge deal and might boost our new prabhu Jungahang’s popularity among his Kiratist subjects.” Indhang said to Na Hang, who wanted to interject and state that Yuma Sammang was the female personification of Tagera Ningwaphuma and therefore they worshiped the same supreme being but decided to keep remain silent. There were hardly any other Yumaists in the tavern and any religious argument that took place would be won by the Kiratists.

“I heard that all of us have been summoned to meet Jungahang tomorrow.” Na Hang decided to change the subject. “I wonder what that will be about.”

“Hopefully not punishing us all for the battle we lost.” Nembang Hang suddenly became grim.

“Cheer up, son!” Saiyok Hang dismissed his son’s worry. “The new prabhu needs allies and we are too valuable as subjects for him to try anything like that.”

Saiyok Hang was proven right the next day. None of the four commanders at the Battle of Tsongdu were punished. It turned out that Jungahnag had waited for the four men to arrive at Yangwarok so he could finally select his councilors.

“Ngapo Na Hang of Daramdin, you were a loyal vassal of my predecessor.” Jungahang’s said as Na Hang knelt before him. The latter just barely managed to contain his smile at the irony of that sentence. “I appoint you as my chancellor in recognition of your service.”

“Thank you, my lord. I will continue serving a loyal vassal of Limbuwan.”

“You may rise.”

Mayor Lepmuhang of Dhankuta was next. He was given the office of stewardship. Then came forward Muda Hang Lasahang. Na Hang would not have recognized the man, now dressed in the attire of a Kirati shaman, if Jungahang had not summoned him by his name.

“Muda Hang Lasahang, you were the heir to Limbuwan. Yet you put faith over everything else and allowed me to become the new Prabhu of Limbuwan.” Jungahang said loudly. “However, Limbuwan is not done with you. The realm needs a shaman and I see no better person than you. Make your father proud.”

“I am honored to be appointed the Shaman of Limbuwan. But understand this, my lord, I serve the realm not you or my late father.” Muda Hang made a bold statement.

Na Hang wondered if Jungahang would say anything but nothing happened. After Muda Hang, Indhang was told to kneel before Jungahang.

“Mayor Indhang of Panchthar, you will be given the command of my army.” Jungahang appointed Indhang as his marshal.

Finally, young Nembang Hang was called forward. He nervously knelt before the new prabhu while his father at him eagerly.

“Nembang Hang Panthar, your family has long served lords of Limbuwan.” Jungahang placed his hands on the young man’s shoulders. “Normally, I would have appointed the Panthar family patriarch, your father Saiyok Hang, to this position. However, your father is aging and I require excellent ears in our master of spies. You will be reporting to me directly.”

“Yes, my lord!” Nembang Hang now sounded confident.

“Let Yangwarok and rest of Limbuwan know of the men I have chosen for my council.” Jungahang told his messengers after it was all over.

Last edited:
I don't trust the loyalty of Muda Hang... at all.

Are you still at war?

I don't trust the loyalty of Muda Hang... at all.

Are you still at war?
In-game, Muda Hang is the only one at the council with a negative opinion of Jungahang but is -20 from Title Claimant and further -20 from Unreformed (not our fault, man). He does not seem to have any idea that Jungahang was the one who ordered the hit on his dad.

No, there was no war at all. Mabo Hang had decided to raid the Petty Kingdom of Sa'gya up north and the raid was still going on when he died. When Jungahang took over, the raiding army could not be dissolved without them moving into Limbuwan. This was enough time for the enemy (Ngapo Gongpa Tsondu of Nyalam's men) to catch up with us and kick our asses.

Note: Jungahang is a Wise Man. I could not think of a way to add that into the story right now but will be mentioning it in future.

Wise Man.png

Prologue: 870

Chungthang, Gyalpo of U

Chungthang.png

Panu Family and Tshomo.png

Tshomo, Ngapo Tshewang of Chungthang and Passang Panu

“Welcome home, my son.” Ngapo Tshewang Panu of Chungthang embraced his son Passang as Jungahang Yangwarok watched. “I see you brought a guest.”

“Father, this man is Prabhu Jungahang Yangwarok of Limbuwan.” Passang introduced the foreigner. “He was kind enough to let me stay at his capital during my journey back home.”

“Ah, the new ruler of the Kiratis!” The Ngapo of Chungthang exclaimed. “I have heard of you but did not think you did pay us a visit. Perhaps you are on route to my liege, Gyalpo Tride Yumten?”

After Passang translated to Jungahang what his father had said, the lord of Limbuwan replied. “I regret to inform you that I would not able to visit the grand court of the gyalpo due to time constraints. I traveled to Chungthang for a book which your son informed me was here. This is a beautiful town and I would love to stay longer but I will be leaving back for my realm tomorrow since my people need their lord.”

Jungahang decided not to mention to the Ngapo of Chungthang that the book in question was about Tibetan mystic arts.

“Thoughtful prabhu, you are our guest and you should not leave without a gift.” The lord of Chungthang smiled and turned to a woman in her early thirties. “I think Tshomo here would serve you well a concubine. Will you let her into your bed?”

“I accept Tshomo as my woman.” Jungahang had taken a vow of celibacy as soon as he had become a ruler. But the prabhu did not wish to offend his hosts either.

Jungahang did not understand why the Ngapo of Chungthang was so eager to offer him a concubine. From the unwilling look at Tshomo and the confused faces of Passang and others, he knew that this was not a strange local custom that offered women to their guests. Only after Jungahang and Tshomo arrived at Yangwarok and her belly started growing did he understand what had happened.

When the two were alone, Jungahang had furiously demanded answers. After a drawn-out silence, Tshomo finally admitted that Ngapo Tshewang was the true father of her child. Despite Tshomo's pleas to save her lover's prestige, Jungahang decided to send letters to Passang and the Gyalpo of U for them to learn of Tshewang's adultery. After his anger had calmed, the Prabhu of Limbuwan ordered Tshomo to stay at Yangwarok until her child was born and then run back to Tshewang.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Well, that's one way to get rid of an embarrassing dishonor. I wonder if the celibacy thing will come up again?

Prologue: 871

Yangwarok, Petty Kingdom of Limbuwan

Yangwarok.png

Phim kills Muda Hang.png

Phim Maiwa and Shaman Muda Hang Lasahang

Prabhu Jungahang Yangwarok of Limbuwan was asleep when the banging at his door woke him up. The door opened to reveal the face of Phim Maiwa, the soldier whose life he had saved in Tsongdu three years ago.

“My lord, deepest apologies for waking you up at this hour but I just found something shocking.” Phim seemed nervous. “Shaman Muda Hang does not believe in Tagera Ningwaphuma.”

For three years, Shaman Muda Hang Lasahang had been ranting against his deceased father Mabo Hang’s greedy nature and now against the rule of Jungahang. The man openly did not state he should have been the Prabhu of Limbuwan for he would not have willingly become a shaman and allowed Jungahang to take control of the realm if he harbored such intentions. However, the peasants who listened to Muda Hang’s sermons did not feel so. Many of the peasants considered Muda Hang as their true ruler who had the favor of Tagera Ningwaphuma on his side and their numbers were increasing; threatening a possible rebellion. Phim’s statement that Muda Hang was a non-believer was a golden opportunity to crush any remaining dissent in the realm before it grew too large.

“Where did you hear this?” Jungahang asked for the authenticity of the claim.

“I went to tavern for a tongba when he was already there drunk and babbling. He eventually said something along the line of there being no god and justice in this world.”

“Is he still drunk at the tavern?” Jungahang inquired.

“Yes, my lord.” Phim said confidentially.

“Arrest him. We shall have his trial tomorrow at his own temple.”

The next morning, a huge crowd gathered at the temple to see Shaman Muda Hang is chains. Almost everyone in Yangwarok was there. The peasants in crowd chanted against Jungahang and there was a heavy presence of armed guards to prevent a possible riot.

“Shaman Muda Hang, you have poisoned the minds of my subjects with your lies.” Jungahang accused. “You use your words as a shaman to do this but what kind of shaman are you that does not believe in Tagera Ningwaphuma the supreme being?”

“Pardon me my lord, but I hope you are not accusing the shaman of being a Yumaist?” Ngapo Na Hang of Daramdin, a Yumaist, asked. Na Hang and many other Yumaists were often accused by Kiratists of not worshiping Tagera Ningwaphuma when Yuma Sammang was the female personification of the supreme being. “We worship the same god.”

“This sham of a shaman is non-believer who does not believe in any god!” Jungahang thundered. “He was heard at the tavern last night claiming that there was no god.”

The crowd gasped at this accusation. Phim Maiwa and a few others who claimed to have been at the tavern last night gave their testimonies.

“Yes, I do not believe in any god. I used to be a believer once. But no more, as long as a sack of sins like you breathes.” Muda Hang spat at Jungahang. “You are just like my father. A cold-hearted demon who does as it pleases him with no care for the people he rules over. My father did not care about his men as he led them to a foolish raid on the other side of the Himalayas. We lost over hundreds of men while crossing and in the slaughter that eventually happened. For what? For my father’s greed. And you, Jungahang, you make a mockery of the realm. Have you ever stepped out of your palace to hear the commonfolk? You study Tibetan mystic arts while claiming to be a follower of Tagera Ningwaphuma. You sleep with a whore while you claim to be celibate.”

“Tshomo is not my wife!” Jungahang roared. “She never was and I never touched her.”

“She obviously did not want to her spawn to be from a demon like you.” Muda Hang sneered. “We have already seen mother-less Sirijunga starting to become a demon like you.”

“You dare bring my son to this!” Jungahang had enough. “Phim, shut him up for forever.”

“Yes, my lord.” In an instant, the spear Phim Maiwa held was pierced into Muda Hang’s heart. When the spear was pulled back, the shaman’s lifeless body dropped on the ground. Some of the peasants in the crowd started pelting stones at the soldiers, trying to get to get close to the shaman’s corpse. Chants against Jungahang calling him a murderer grew louder and louder.

“You just proved the shaman right. This is tyranny!” Mayor Indhang of Panchthar shouted as Jungahang and Na Hang began to leave the temple with Phim and Nembang Hang Panthar as their bodyguards.

“You are the marshal of Limbuwan. Do your job and control this riot.”

Last edited: