Will it be possible to commit genocide in EU5?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RowArter

Recruit
39 Badges
May 2, 2024
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
So now that we are aware that the population mechanics will be introduced in the game, should we expect something similar to Stellaris when it comes to dealing with the cultures that we don't want in our states?

• 21Haha
  • 8Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
So now that we are aware that the population mechanics will be introduced in the game, should we expect something similar to Stellaris when it comes to dealing with the cultures that we don't want in our states?
Not sure if paradox gonna want to add it into base game, but i can assure you, mod which will allow you to do that, will most likely come sooner than later.

Reactions:
you know what... I salute you for being this direct. Creating an account to ask this particular question as your first. A very brave act if anything.

I don't think that changing culture or expelling minorities will be as easy as it is currently in eu4 but ignoring the real expulsion of some cultural minorities and the real attempts to modify a country demographic composition by its ruling class. Would be disingenuous.

If slavery is represented in game, I suppose the latter would also be included. I just hope that NotEU5 can get these parts of history right, or at least that it has a lasting consequence in the playthrough.

• 19Like
Reactions:
WAR CRIMES YES
maxresdefault.jpg

• 8Haha
Reactions:
you know what... I salute you for being this direct. Creating an account to ask this particular question as your first. A very brave act if anything.

I don't think that changing culture or expelling minorities will be as easy as it is currently in eu4 but ignoring the real expulsion of some cultural minorities and the real attempts to modify a country demographic composition by its ruling class. Would be disingenuous.

If slavery is represented in game, I suppose the latter would also be included. I just hope that NotEU5 can get these parts of history right, or at least that it has a lasting consequence in the playthrough.
Idk about brave, feels more like a burner account just in case.

Edit: unless you were being sarcastic and I just didn't get it. The rest of your post is fine, but I doubt paradox will get more in depth than what we see on their other games because there's a thin line between representing a thing and glorifying it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
If not that, they should at least let us expel, since this was done by many european nations at that time to minorities like Jews or Gypsy. Also expel minorities was a feature in eu4 I dont see why it shouldnt be one in EU5.

I remember there was a genocide button in Veritas et Fortitudo, dont remember anyone ever complaining about it and it made pretty brutal consequences on those provinces

• 1Like
Reactions:
Before this thread gets closed, I'm going to be a nuisance and talk about the difference between morality and ethics.

From an ethical standpoint, there is nothing wrong with doing genocide in a game because ethics is governed by systems of logic which prioritize doing good and not harming others in most cases. The game genocide is not against real people, and the gamer in fact probably enjoys it, so it's an ethical neutral at worst because no one is harmed irl and the gamer has fun.

Morality is not governed by logic and is about behaving in an acceptable and proper way. Doing the game genocide is immoral because it's offensive to the sensibilities of modern society that the gamer would enjoy doing it. This thread will be closed on a moral basis.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Purging the squid aliens in Stellaris and purging aboriginals in Australia are not the same thing. It's dumb, it's gross, and it doesn't make the game better. It would harm the company's reputation when it inevitably attracts an audience of angry men who all have very fair complexions, shaved heads, and suspicious windmill-like tattoos on their foreheads.

• 17Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Depends what you mean by genocide. Expelling minorities out of your country like Spain after the conquest of Granada such that you lose wrong religion/culture pops (less population but presumably less unrest) seems like an obviously good and historical gameplay mechanic. These pops can then migrate and strengthen wherever they end up (likely better matching their religion/culture). Expelling minorities like England to join your distant colonies is also good gameplay and would have the obvious benefit of removing dissent from the homeland and the obvious downside of filling your colonies with wrong religion/culture pops that will be more prone to rebellion.

Reactions:
I'm gonna go ahead and say I think it may be close to unavoidable... with a pop system and a plague system in place, exploring and colonising the new world is gonna lead to the mass deaths of millions of native american pops, which can be labelled as genocide.

• 2Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I hope it is represented in at least some ways. Like I am not going to play this if Columbus does not doom Americas to total populational collapse because it will mean the game isn't worth playing.

Reactions:
I'm gonna go ahead and say I think it may be close to unavoidable... with a pop system and a plague system in place, exploring and colonising the new world is gonna lead to the mass deaths of millions of native american pops, which can be labelled as genocide.

Definition
The systematic and widespread extermination or attempted extermination of a national, racial, religious, or ethnic group.
Death via disease is not a genocide
It can only if the disease was intentionally brought (yes it did happen in some case) but also in a systemic and widespread (which I don't think happened?)

Maybe the enconemienda was but even then I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it was more about cheap labour than ethnical cleansing

• 3Like
Reactions:
Not sure if paradox gonna want to add it into base game, but i can assure you, mod which will allow you to do that, will most likely come sooner than later.
Yeah, but you will have to download the mod from a certain based mod site. In current day devs get mods they don't agree with removed on Steam workshop and nexus is a lost cause anyways. :rolleyes:

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
EU IV's cultural conversions are cultural suppression at best and genocide at worst (Obviously genocide wasn't a thing back then but applying the modern concept) depending on if you subscribe to the train of thought that you are just replacing the ruling elite or replacing everyone.
And colonizing new world regions removed the existing culture last I checked.

So an EUV wouldn't really be breaking new ground in this respect if it allowed you to shape the cultural/ethnic landscape of your nation, the addition of pops might make it significantly more uncomfortable though.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Depends what you mean by genocide. Expelling minorities out of your country like Spain after the conquest of Granada such that you lose wrong religion/culture pops (less population but presumably less unrest) seems like an obviously good and historical gameplay mechanic. These pops can then migrate and strengthen wherever they end up (likely better matching their religion/culture). Expelling minorities like England to join your distant colonies is also good gameplay and would have the obvious benefit of removing dissent from the homeland and the obvious downside of filling your colonies with wrong religion/culture pops that will be more prone to rebellion.
That would count as ethnic cleansing but not genocide. Ethnic cleansing is still considered disgusting and wrong by most people today but isn't considered as bad as genocide where you're not just expelling a minority but actively trying to killing them (either all of them or to cull them down).

You can already genocide the populations of uncolonized provinces in EU4 where you attack them and completely wipe them out suggesting that we might be able to but then the more recent pdx game HOI4 has no references to the many genocides committed in WW2 so maybe they'll disallow any kind of genocide entirely.

I don't think it'd be a good look for pdx if on day of release there's a bunch of content from nationalists in various countries 100%ing historical genocides

• 2Haha
Reactions: