• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ah, Crete is a better home than some, because it is much harder to invade an island such as Crete than a mainland province.:rolleyes:

I'm thinking of evacuating to Crete right now. I'd be a bit safer. The only problem is that I have only 2 transports, meaning I'd have to start now if I intend to make it. I'd of course right a dramatic evacuation scene in Athens though, coupled with a narrow escape of Italian ships on the way to Crete. If anyone wants me to retreat to Crete(aka live for over a month) let me know. Otherwise I'd stay in Athens until the 35 divisios in Chalkis, 19 divisions in Larisia, 10 divisions in whatever that small island province is, and 11 divisions in Agrinion all decide to invade me.

Well, it's up to you. Either you go down in a blaze of glory, or you could try to keep alive by evacuating. In the evacuation option, you would have a chance of retaking the Greek mainland. Either way, it should be entertaining.

Ooh, perhaps you should move 1 division and the navy to crete in case of the fall of Athens, and keep the rest of the army in Athens for one last stand.

Hehe, I've got a very stupid idea..... Have the Germans annexed Norway and/or Denmark? If so, land a few divisions in one of those provinces with a few VP's.....Or annex Liberia and have one last stronghold of Greek strength or something silly but potentially life saving.... Try to take an ungarrisoned Oslo or Kolding (or better yet land at Kiel and start a bloody march to Berlin....).

20th of June, 1943

Crete fell to the Italians early this morning. They landed during the night, decimating our garrison. Colonel Bakos would have been killed if our small fleet hadn't been on it's way to deliver new reinforcements. He's here now, with his cavalry division. A daring plan is being put together for a rush of cavalry through the former Yugoslav lands. A small militia is being commissioned to deal with the size of German forces. Things are still bleak

22nd of June, 1943

Pitsikas and his men are boarding the transports. I hope they all survive this raid. We will be out of contact with them until they can make it back to the coast. I pray for them.

27th of August, 1943

Pitsikas is back, but only 13 of his men came with him. The lack of supplies, other than the little that could be taken from German storehouses, led to a massive dissorganization of the unit. They were just off the coast when it happened. A German mechanized group had been travelling non-stop to cut them off. Just as the cavalry was about to reach the Albanian coast, they ran headlong into the German troops. Beaten back into Plovdiv, Pitsikas' troops prepared to rush through Ionia. Their hopes were dashed though, when a German infantry division arrived. The unorganized troops were easily defeated by battle-hardened German troops. Pistikas and a small group managed to escape and slip back to Greek territory, surviving off the kindness of people in the occupied North. At least the scrambled organization of the enemy forces would buy a small amount of time. The war might be over soon, though not in the way everyone hoped for.

Come on, make it a Greek victory! For our Greek friends! They are greek, aren't they?

No, they don't... but the Greeks will pull through somehow..... right?

I realize that it's been almost two years, but I'm finally bringing this AAR to a conclusion.

Enjoy.

September 2, 1943

The only sound to be heard is that of our impending death. The Germans drive the machine of war towards us with the tank and the truck and the iron fisted soldier. It will not be long. On a clear day, it’s possible to see the endless rows of soldiers lining the distant hills. Athens is fortified, but I fear no stronghold can defend against the coming flood. I pray daily, for death is certain, and my immortal soul must be ready to enter to the Kingdom of Heaven, a safe-haven the Nazis will never enter.

September 5, 1943

A German tank unit made a probing attack this morning. By noon, they had been routed. Morale is high amongst the troops. It is a good omen, but we still have not faced a major assault.

September 6, 1943

The heightened morale from yesterday’s attack is gone. The attacking troops seem innumerable. They flood the field in front of the fortress. Many more than we have here. And more still come. The distant thunder of more tanks is largely masked by the sounds of battle. Rain and artillery shells have pulverized the ground in front of the fortress walls, slightly slowing the German advance. We shall hold out as long as possible, and die proudly if that is what God has in store for us.

September 7, 1943

Through some miracle, the Germans have been turned back. Tanks and men line the horizon as the massive army retreats into the plains of Agrinion. Though we caution that another attack may follow, the officers are unable to prevent the soldiers from celebrating.

September 8, 1943

The second assault has come. The number of enemies is increased. I must report to the front. I shall fight with my men, for we now need soldiers, not generals.

September 10, 1943

The battle was one of the most intense I’ve ever seen, made more so by the close up view I had. Tonight, I desire nothing more than to celebrate, but my duty comes first. Tonight, under cover of darkness, I will move my troops to the outer defenses, which had previously been empty. We hope to surprise the next wave of Germans.

September 11, 1943

As I left Athens this morning, I looked around my fair city, wondering if I should ever return. The main entrance through the great wall was almost like a small tunnel, as the wall had been built thick, with enemy artillery in mind. As I walked across the field towards it, I prayed silently that I should return through it.

September 15, 1943

We have been forced from Athens. An early victory over a small advance unit of tanks gave the men courage and confidence necessary to stand their ground against the onslaught that followed. Perhaps as many as five times our number, the Germans came. Thousands fell, but still they came. Within hours of the onset, I withdrew from the outer fortifications and brought my men back to bolster the main defenses.

When we returned to Athens, we found our beloved city was burning. The Germans had begun launching rockets into the city. As we hurried through the gate, I was struck by an idea. I called down Captain Tzelius, who had been charged with defense of the entrance. Working quickly, he and his men attached explosives to the roof of the entryway while I took my men to retrieve a small field cannon and place it in a small building across the field from the wall. Tzelius and his troops hurried across the field as the sound of marching came drew close from beyond the wall. Though no doubt confused by the open gate, the Germans marched unquestioningly through it. As the first few rows of troops came emerged on the inside of the wall, the last few Greeks who had stayed at their posts screamed battle cries and opened fire on their enemies. They were gunned down quickly by the coldly efficient German troops. When perhaps a score were clear of the entryway, we fired on our own wall. As the explosives shattered the wall’s structure, and a rain of stone and steel fell on them, the Germans realized why we had left our door wide open. The few troops who made it inside clustered together, and were rapidly gunned down.

However the lack of gate did not stop them. Soldiers immediately began climbing the rubble of the entryway. We fired the field cannon a few more times before we hastily sabotaged it and retreated further into the city. At the citadel we found the remnants of the army. Papagos was dead, I was in command now. Seeing that the city could not be held, I sent General Pitsikas South with the majority of the soldiers.

Tzelius and I took our men back towards the wall. While searching for a good place to set up an ambush, we ran into a German scout unit. In the ensuing gunfight, we lost four men, leaving us just under two scores.

We continued towards the wall. As we came to the last group of buildings before the wall, we saw it. In the field just inside the gate lay the organizing German army. Of our group, just over a dozen men were sharpshooters. Concealed with buildings, each took careful aim on an officer. The twelve shots rang out almost in unison. German soldiers looked around in shock, which turned into slight panic as the men fired a few shots at random into the mass of soldiers. As other officers stepped in and restored order, German artillery retaliated, demolishing several of the buildings at the edge of the field. Thankfully, our men had already slipped out the back.

German patrols set out shortly, and the streets became too dangerous for us to remain in the city. We ambushed a few patrols before escaping into the countryside. That night we made our way to Patrai in the South, where Pitsikas had organized what was to be our last stand. There was nowhere else to run, and no desire to hide...

Now, give me a minute to write the rest of the end. It's probably not going to be a surprise.

September 18, 1943

The defenses in Patrai are unquestionably insufficient to hold back the Germans. More are hastily being constructed, but it doubted they will even be finished in time. Yesterday a small group of men set out for the coast, with the ambition of swimming to one of the less populated coastal islands to hide out. Certain death is certain death, whether from drowning or gunfire.

It is now a matter of time.

A question of when, not if.

September 21, 1943

The Germans have come for us.

Though in the years to come, they may call the Greek land theirs, never shall it be said that the Greek people are theirs, for we are determined not to become prisoners.

I will die free, as I was born.

General Alexander Drakos

And that'll about do it.

Wow, an AAR restarted after a 2 year layoff, that's got to be a record! Welcome back. :)

See this is what happens when you start off as Germany and destroy pretty much everything in your path and then switch over to Greece. But it was a nice little story even if it did take a couple of years to do it. The pathos and the fear along with the determination were all clear to me and I could swear I could feel the despair of Drakos as Greece inevitably dies against the mighty Germans.

Overall, as short as it was, it was still fun to read.