• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(10397)

Citizen
Jul 27, 2002
Welcome to my first HoI AAR. I've written several for eu2 and decided to try to my hand at it here too. I started the game as germany. I conquered Poland, every Balkan country (except greece), turkey, Belgium, The Netherlands, Lithuania, all mid east countries colonies(except French syria), and went with Vichy France. Italy has taken all of former British and Belgian Africa, plus SA. Persia(though it was my soldiers) owns India. Japan annexed China. After turning Germany over to the computer, they made bitter peace with the Soviets and hugely expanded the Axis, it now has Ireland, Finland, Nat. Spain, Argentina, Italy, Persia, Japan, Manchukuo, and Latvia. The allies include Britain, France, Austrailia, New Zealand, The Philipines, The Netherlands, Canada, and the US. I will be writing from the PoV of General Drakos. With that out of the way, I'll be getting to writing part one.

Sounds fun. Hope you can take down the Axis!

April 6, 1943

We've all been afraid of the Germans invading across the isles since the Turks capitulated, and now we're finally doing something about it. It wasn't so bad though, they wouldn't waste troops on us as long as the monstrous Soviet Union stayed in the fight. That all changed on the sixth of April, in that horrible year of 1943. I was in the war room in our command center outside Athens. The twelve of us were gathered around the table. Field Marshal Papagos was standing before the commanders. He spoke slowly, it was clearly hard for him.

"Stalin...he's just given the order...a cease fire has been reached, the Soviets are pulling out of Europe, all territory up to the Urals has been ceded to Hitler."

He stopped, letting it sink in. No-one wanted to be the one to speak next. Finally, I could stand the silence no longer.

"what will we do?"

"There is nothing to do!" Somebody exclaimed.

"We cannot play dead!"

"If we don't play dead we will be dead!"

"Do you think the Germans will leave us be? What happened to the Swiss!?"

Papagos picked up the argument again.

"Drakos is right, we cannot remain neutral, we must fight against them. He will go to Mitilini immediately to hold against advances from the Turkish coast. Lt. General Tsolakoglou will go to Ioannina to reinforce General Pitsikas. Lt. General Kotsmas will remain in Argostoli to guard our back from Italian naval forces. I expect we will be at war before the month's end."

He waved a hand and we all rose to leave. I spoke gravely to them all.

"This is grave. The sun is setting and all Europe is engulfed in darkness. But hope remains, for although we are but a candle in a world engulfed in darkness, there is not enough power in the world to destroy the Greek spirit." No-one could answer me, very few could even look up. If any of them had hope, it was nowhere to be seen.

Cool. The names seemed Greek-ish, but that confirms it.

Great start by the way.

Don't despair, in EUII Greece position is even worse. :D.
BTW, according to the introduction seems that you have some friends far away. Are there British in the Mediterranean to help you, or Navy to turn back Italian Navy from Greece coast?
I will go on reading this AAR, looks really interesting this Greek approach

A screenie would be nice, if just to look at the massive German Empire. I'd like to see if you can just not be annexed by the end of 43. Good luck, your gonna really need it.

Well, the British aren't exactly around Greece, their only mediterranean base is at Malta. I was pretty thorough in my destruction of British offensive power, every ship that isn't sunk is busy defending the isle. I have heavy doubt the US will ever marshal it's resources for an invasion and the British have a total of about 7 land units. Germany has about 15 fighter squads. I disbanded all the bombers to give myself a fighting chance. Thoguh the Germans have hundreds of IC, I doubt it will be long before new bombers come to destroy me. I expect to get something up today. Oh, and about screenshots, I know nothing about puting up screenshots.

April 27, 1943

The message was simple. We were at war, that was all there was to it. I had 6 divisions under my command, Tsolagkolou and Pitsikas had 10 divsions between them. Papagos remained with one division in Athens. A cavalry division stayed on the Isle Iraklion. The odds were hopeless. I told the messenger to leave. He bowed and hurried away, knowing full well this place would soon wreak of the dead. I came before my commanders and told them to tell their troops of the horrible news. There was no escape. We had but one transport fleet and it would only have time for one trip in the event our lines fell. Morale was low, there was talk of surrender. Some tried to hold onto religion as hope, though many gave up everything. This will not go well.

May 3, 1943

How could this happen...we were standing strong at the front line. So far their had just been scattered bombings. Suddenly, we became aware of the folly that would probably lead to our undoing. While we were guarding Mitlini, the Germans slipped ashore at Chalkis and began their offensive.

May 7, 1943

Every day we are bombed. The barracks lie in shambles, our troops remain heavily disorganized. I don't know how long we will hold...

May 13, 1943

My army is gone. Five divisions, dead, just like that. We were too disorganized and weak from the bombings, there wasn't even a battle, troops tried to surrender, but were slaughtered. I've come to Athens with Papagos, I have never known fear as it exists here.

Jeez, are you fighting this war by yourself? Where are the Allies?

Well, the Americans are busy renaming cafeteria foods against Germany I think, because they sure aren't attacking. The Soviets made bitter peace, the Chinese are annexed, the Canadians are garrisoning Ireland, which they annexed, and the British don't have enough men to conquer an ant hill. Dunno about Austrailia and New Zealand, but they're probably fighting the Japs.

Whoo, the odds are certainly stacked against you. Better hope the good ol' USA gives you some help.:eek:

Holy fu*kin sh*t, your screwed. I dont know how anyone could get out of your fix unless you use f12 pretty intelligently. I really think your better of joining the greater reich the way its goin. Haha, just kiddin. Go down in flames, killing every Hun that you can!!

You know, FD has a point. Go down in a blaze of glory!:D

22nd of May, 1943

Our first victory was today. It came at high cost, but it seems to be all that we can do. Tsolakoglou came from the North with five divisions of infantry. It turned the tide against the German tanks attacking us. They have retreated to Chalkis. We talked of pursuing them, but though morale was high, our troops were disorganized. Ioannina surrendered to German forces a few hours after Tsolakoglou left. It has become clear the North cannot be held. A messanger was sent to Pitsikas to retreat, he would be surrounded and slaughtered if he did not leave Thessalonika immediatly. I pray every night that the message got through.

28th of May, 1943

Pitsikas has arrived. He tells me the Germans were upon his fort just after he had evacuated. The Germans now had only to march across the plains of Larisia or Agrinion to get to us, and from here we could only get to Patrai, and after that there would be no escape.

8th of June, 1943

They've taken Larisia and Agrinion. Just a few soldiers guard these fair cities, though an uncountable number lies in Chalkis. I do not at this point know if hope is worth having, for I have just recieved an account of the British forces. They have not a single transport and very few infantry and tank divisions. A rather meager air force suplments them. The glow of the sun on the horizon seems darker every day...

I took military control of the Brits. They are pathetic. No transports, hardly any army units, one tac bomber and a few naval/torp bombers. I Just have Athens, Patrai, and Iraklion.

Looks good doesnt it!?

Well, at least you have nowhere to go but up!