• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(15579)

Colonel
Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Gott mit uns: A Tale of the German Soldier

Version: 1.05
Mods: CORE v.06​

This is my second attempt at an AAR, but my first attempt at making one using lots of research and note-taking. This is a story-driven AAR, and guest writers and the like are welcome. I hope you guys enjoy my attempt at telling a story.

Munster, Germany
December 24, 1935

Karl Schenck stepped out of the barracks feeling like a free man. This was his first leave, and he had joined the army in June. It had been a long time since Karl could just kick back and enjoy (temporary) civilian life. He only had 24 hours, and 100 reichsmarks. There was no time to waste. He began to walk down the street, deliberately walking slowly and peacefully, to prove to himself it was still possible. All of a sudden, Karl was bombarded with sights, smells, and noises he had not witnessed in a long time. The smell of fresh bread wafting out of a bakery across the street, the playful laugh of children, and the sight of a woman walking down the street, hips swinging tauntingly side-to-side. It was definitely time for a beer.

Karl spotted a bar on the other side of the street, next to a florist’s shop. He checked the street for oncoming cars, and then walked hurriedly towards the pub. But, as he glanced at the florist’s shop, he saw a beautiful woman step out of the store entrance, with a bouquet of flowers. She had exotic, piercing green eyes that made a man’s heart jump. Her hair was a light, shimmering blonde that made her eyes look all the more striking. Her nose was a short, small, button of a nose, and she had a somewhat pale complexion. Her gray blouse that came just below the knee was enticingly cut, showing off plenty of neck and leg. When she smiled her lips curved up enchantingly, and she had one dimple on her left cheek. Karl was dumbstruck; he smiled at her in return, and then hurriedly rushed into the bar, but not before running into an elderly gentleman who was just leaving the establishment.

Feeling embarrassed, Karl took off his overcoat and went over to a barstool. The bartender came up to him and asked what Karl wanted, and he asked for a pint of the best local brew. While he was judging the quality of the local lager, a man of about 45 came up to him, and sat down on the next barstool. As Karl determined it was one of the top five best beers he had ever drank, the man started to strike up a conversation with him. The older man says to Karl, “What’s your name?”
“Karl Schenck, and yours?”
“I am Deiter Knapp, are you in the army?”
To this, Karl replies “Ja.”
“I thought so, I could tell by the way you handle yourself.”
“How so?”
“Well you seem to be stiff and at attention when you walk around, and
that’s the usual mark of a military man, I should know, I was in it.”
“Really? When?”
“From 1916 to 1918.”
“You’re a veteran?”
“Ja.”
“That’s amazing, what was it like?”

“Oh, Mein Gott, it was truly hell on earth. No sleep, constant fear of not waking up if you do sleep, living in dirt, and your own filth, going on patrol in no-mans land, and worst of all your friends cut to pieces in front of your very eyes, butchered by some machine that spews a million rounds a minute. The worst of it was realizing that all that bloodshed, turmoil, hate and pain was for absolute nil, we fought and died for nothing, not even an honorable peace. It will go down in history as the worst event in human history, I’m sure of it.”
“It won’t happen again, the world and especially Germany has learned from our mistakes.”
“Oh, I’m not too sure of that lad, but I know that once is more than enough. A second Great War would be beyond the scope of human suffering. I hope to death that cooler heads are leading us right now, but Hitler seems hell-bent on regaining Germany’s glory.”
“We deserve our glory back Herr Knapp.”
“That may be so, but at what cost?”

To this, Karl had no reply. He felt ashamed of his childish view of war, and scared of the future. The elderly man, Herr Knapp, sensed this and offered to pay for his tab, and buy him another beer if he wanted. “No, I don’t want to be stuck in a bar all night on Christmas Eve, I think I should leave now, goodbye Herr Knapp, it was nice meeting you. Maybe we should talk again some day?”
“Ja, that would be nice, I’ll give you my address in case you ever feel like looking me up.”
“Ja, I’ll be sure to someday”
With that, Karl put on his overcoat, shook the man’s hand, and left the bar. For the first and most likely only time in Karl’s life, he left a bar feeling more sober than when he entered.
As soon as Karl stepped out, he started walking down the street, trying to get away from Deiter’s horrors and the woman at the florist shop, if she was still there.
He hurried on through the darkening streets of Munster. Suddenly, as if possessed Karl stopped and looked to his left. There lay sanctuary.
Karl entered the cathedral, then solemnly and silently scurried to a half empty pew. He listened to the sermon, but got lost in his own thoughts. He thought about Herr Deiter Knapp and how he absolutely feared another war, and how Knapp thought that Hitler might lead them into it. Karl thought about what he said about getting Germany’s glory back, and Knapp’s powerful question “But at what cost?” To Karl, any cost short of bloodshed was fine. So far, no blood had been spilled. The formation of the Wehrmacht from the artificially neutered Reichswehr was a major achievement. Also, von Ribbentrop’s deal with the British, which allows the Germans to have a larger than Versailles treaty navy, brought much prestige back to Germany. The year 1935 was good for Germany, Karl thought.
Soon, the service ended and the worshippers began to leave. Karl joined them in leaving the cathedral, but not before getting down on his knees and praying that God guide Germany and its citizens on a safe path. With that, he got up and left for the dark streets again. He was outside again, and took a deep breath, inhaling the frigid winter air through his mouth. “What now?” he mumbled to himself. Then, an idea came into his head. He would go to the hotel with the softest beds he could find, and sleep a good nights sleep. After going through three hotels, he checked into one on the farthest side of town from the barracks. He slept as calmly as a newborn baby.
At 6 a.m. Karl awoke, and angrily thought to himself how he only did this cause it was habit. With that thought, he went back to sleep to spite himself. As 11 a.m. came around, Karl did not wake. Finally at about 11:30 he awoke calmly and peacefully. Then slowly turned around to look at the clock. His eyes widened, and he jumped in surprise. He got up and hurriedly put on his clothes, no time to shave or shower, and in the chaos he put his shoes on backwards. He grabbed his things, paid the 30 reichsmarks for his well-deserved slumber, and then sprinted back to the barracks. He arrived at 12:13 in the afternoon, earning himself a punishment of kitchen duty. “It was worth it,” he thought to himself, smiling as he cleaned up the mess hall with a toothbrush.

Last edited:
great start m8, this looks like a promising into... keep it up :)

I like to wait for 4 or 5 posts to see how the story is going to develop to get a sense of who, how and why before I comment. Its easy reading, but you need to move the story forwards a bit more.

Imagine getting the first page of a book and being asked to to comment on it?!

Keep going though, Im glad you decided to start your own AAR. I will definiately like to add some when I feel the time is appropraite.

Keep it up. :)

Okay well, I think I should have the second post up tonight (late). It will be about New Years and the inevitable Jan 1 hangover.
2Coats: I realize it is a bit soon for praise posts, but it is nice to hear ANYTHING from your post ;) .
Muckypup: Thanks, I hope it gets better as it goes along.

Ah, finally, I have gotten round to the second post. I hope you guys enjoy.
Updates to this AAR will be a little slow, seeing as I have 9th grade honors homework, a demanding girlfriend, and a gaggle of stepchildren who want to use this computer. :mad: :( :confused: :wacko:

New Year's Day, 1936
Munster city garrison

As the last darkness of 1935 was chased away by the dawn of 1936, the 33. Infanterie Division was stricken with an epidemic of hangovers. Many would not, or could not get up and fit back into the daily routine of a soldier on garrison duty. Those of Karl's trupp (troop) were one of the few to live the wild New Year's Party without injury.

The hut that Karl's troop was in happened to be one of the smallest in the compound. It was also one of the farthest from the mess hall. In it was a row of 5 cot-beds on one side and 5 on the other. Lying on these cots were still-clothed soldiers, who had simply fallen alseep in whatever bunk nearest them in whatever condition they were in.

Rudolf Sintzenich, Karl's friend, was the first to awake. He arose from his bunk, looked around groggily, and then set his glasses upon his eagle-like nose. Rudolf Sintzenich was a fairly well educated youth who hailed from the area around Hamburg. He was basically the 'brains' of any scheme the trupp hatched up.

He awoke the zug's resident strongman and Kanoier (machine-gunner) Ulrich Iffland. His size hid the boyish agility he had acquired from years of boyhood's outdoor adventures. He shot to the floor within a blink, and was hunting for a pick-me-up from a smuggled-in beer bottle. He found it, and guzzled the last of its contents. He then set out to head towards his cousin from Stuttgart, Otto Witt, and awoke him with a fierce shaking. "What's your problem Ulrich?" he mumbled. Not a word of reply came from his awaker.

Otto Witt was a lean lad who had been a bit of a pickpocket in Stuttgart, especially when food and money was scarce in the 20's. Otto Witt awoke the trupp's commanding officer, Obergefreiter (lance corporal) Werner Graebner.

Werner was from Konigsberg, but was not of noble blood. He was the stereotypical german, blue eyes and blond hair, to go with the well-built, but not bulky body. He immediately went from groggy soldier, to fully alert officer with a polite "Lets get up and going, I want some fuckin food to eat this morning".

The last 3 of the trupp to awake were Karl, Fritz Stillger, and Helmut Schnaarschuh. Fritz was a son of a farmer living in the ruralized villages that dot the the country of Germany. He was fiercely loyal to all the men in the trupp, but he lacked a sharp mind. Helmut was another story.

Helmut was the son of a WW1 Oberst (colonel) and his father wanted to ensure that tradition of military service continued. Helmut had been sent to the Kriegschule, and abroad, studying one semester at West Point even. He had a very sharp tactical mind, and never let anyone forget that fact. He was not an officer only because he had disgraced himself by getting caught with the wife of a high ranking american official. This was his only taint.

Within the next five minutes, german military precision began to show its results because soon the soldiers were wearing fresh uniforms, had shaved, and wore the highly sought for blank stare that a soldier must use for formal ceremonies.

The trupp began to march to mess, and all was silent. They were greeted by a feldwebel (sergeant) and his zug (platoon). Werner's trupp began to fall in. The soldiers soon realized that they were not going to mess, but to a formal ceremony where the general of XII. Armeekorps, General von Rundstedt, would be. Soon, after many orders from Obergefreiter Graebner, they began to form into a Kompanie (company), then into a Abteilung (battalion), then into a Regiment, then into a brigade, which would soon meet in the town square to join the other brigades and form into 33. Infanterie Division. This was a spectacle of military efficiency, and served as a great morale booster to the local populace.

Once 33. Infanterie Division reached Rundstedt's HQ, which was in the countryside of Munster. The division joined the formation by the other divisions and was soon inspected by von Rundstedt and his staff. They walked by slowly, examining each soldier for flaws. He whispered to his aide "They have not a clue on how to be soldiers", to this the aide whispered back "Half of them are hungover, and the other half are still drunk". Once his inspection was complete, Rundstedt marched up to a high podium over looking the thousands of soldiers at his command.

"I believe that Germany has come a long way since the unbreakable shackles of 1919. I believe that soon Germany will be completely free of the vulgar Versailles treaty and all it entails. But, there is much to do. We do not even have control of our own country. The rhineland to the west of us is occupied by the French, and will continue so unless we do something about it!" With this, complete and unparalleled attention was on Rundstedt. He continued "Do you not beleive that we should at least control the territory inside our borders?" A mighty cheer rose from his newly-inspired soldiers. "Well, today, I have received orders from the Fuhrer himself that tommorow, at dawn, we are to cross the Rhine, and regain the territory which we have missed so dearly, and re-incorporate it into Mother Germany." A surreal silence ensued. No noise at all, no random cough or sneeze, no chirping of birds, the wind did not even blow. It seemed as though everything within earshot of von Rundstedt had gone silent, fully understanding the possible implications of a move like this. "This day will be a day of unsurpassed joy for Germany, I assure you on the life of the Fuhrer, now, join me in a cheer to celebrate the oncoming victory." For a moment, nothing happened, then slowly, surely, and powerfully the cheer of victory began. It would rise in pitch, then fall to near silence, then rise higher in pitch, until there was a deafening roar of cheers from the soldiers. They were soon going to step foot in a part of Germany that had been forcefully occupied in peacetime, and then demilitarized, the french had even funded the Rhineland separatists, but to no avail, Germany was to be one again.

Munster City Garrison, 8 PM

Karl peeked under his cot, to make sure nothing of his would be left behind. He searched all around, to make sure he would have everything he wanted on the march to Saarbrucken. He was troubled though, becuase Herr Knapp's warnings, and the implications of the Rhineland re-militarization hung over his head. He believed that Germany should be whole, but not at the cost of thousands of men. 'What if the French were waiting behind defensive works? What if we are to be in a Second Great War?' A million thoughts ran through his head, and he felt as though tommorow would be his death, and of the Germany he so dearly loved.
"Things will be fine, trust me, the french will do nothing about this" whispered Rudolf. Karl shook his head disapprovingly.
"What shall we do if the French are waiting for us, with machine guns, barbed wire, and a large amount of artillery?"
"Well, then I suppose we fight to the last man, defending our homeland. Nothing nobler than that.

"I suppose..."

Karl had a very troubled sleep that night, as did many other soldiers who feared a Second Great War. Tommorow the powers that be will decide the fate of Germany, and the world.

(Edit: made the post easier on the eyes with some more spacing)

Last edited:
*basks in praise glory*
Thank you, I really do appreciate this, seeing as I really haven't written anything longer than a 4 or 5 page essay. (I'm a 14 year old in 9th grade ;) ).
I'll try to post later today, or late tonight. But once I get into the actual game time, It will not be a day-by-day thing. Months will go by without an update (in the game-time).

Possible update tonight guys.
Just for you all to know, this AAR will not be a fast one for many reasons.
1. I have school
2. Honors 9th grade homework
3. Demanding girlfriend (this isn't too bad though ;) )
4. Sparse computer time

Last edited:
January 2nd, 1936

If one could have seen the panorama that would have awaited them, they would be taken aback at the great display of force and discipline on the road between Essen and Saarbrucken. XII. Armeekorps had started marching at 6 in the morning, and had not stopped once yet. The soldiers were blessed with a dully shining sun, and many gray clouds overhead.

The spirit of the men varied considerably. Some men were ecstatic, and eagerly chatted with the men around them. Other men looked like they were marching to their death, and for good reason. No one was sure what would happen if they crossed the Rhine. Surely the French would fight back? Or, would they sit idly by, and permit Germany to reclaim her much-deserved, historical borders? In the case of a French counter-attack (from the Alsace Lorraine area, as no French troops were present in the Rhineland area), orders were to pull back as hastily as possible, and form a defensive line behind the Rhine. This had a crushing effect on morale. To turn tail and flee, at the first sign of French troop presence? Unacceptable.

Karl was one of the men who felt as though they were walking to a massacre. His thoughts ranged from the depressing to the gruesomely sadistic. Karl had succeeded in bringing down the hopes of his truppe, and the only ones close to optimistic were Obergefreiter Graebner, Helmut and Ulrich. Graebner and Helmut were excited because it would be a good chance to show off their prowess in the art of war. Ulrich was thrilled because he was a zealous Nazi, and firmly believed in the cause, not to mention he hoped he would have the chance to gun down a few frenchies.

To pass the time and take their minds off their sore legs, the trupp talked. Graebner and Helmut discussed the strategical possibilities in the event of a French counterattack. Graebner believed that XII. Armeekorps must halt the counter-attack, then start a drive into French territory. Helmut believed that they must create a defensive line behind the Rhine, and tie them down, while the Panzergruppe in Berlin drove down to reinforce them.

Graebner begins, “Well, that would give them too much time to set up a defensive line, and to reinforce the position.”
Helmut replies, “So what? We still have the advantage, because we have more and better trained forces”
“You’re very naïve, you know that? That whole idea led to the trench warfare of WW1. Seriously, it’d be much easier to stop the attack, and get them on the run. Then, you just keep on chasing them until victory.”
“I think the French behind the Maginot Line would like to see you do something like that.”

Ulrich ends this debate with a simple “Look, there is the Rhine”. They both quiet down, and look toward the grayish mass snaking its way through the German countryside. The Rhine is a picturesque river, no matter who occupies it.

Karl also saw the Rhine, and realized that soon, a few high-ranking French politicians will decide the fate of the world. Karl’s mood grew even darker at this though. A few pompous fools will decide whether to stop a country from gaining its rightful territory back, or to let it be.

One of the soldiers, proud that he was to partake in this major event, began to sing “Deutschland Uber Alles” in a deep voice. He sang beautifully, as though some voice was using his body as a conduit to broadcast this song. Soon, other soldiers began to join in, first mumbling the words, and then wholeheartedly joining in. The fire of patriotism spread amongst them. Their voices could soon be heard for miles, and this became known in the history books as ‘Der Chor von Soldaten’.

Soon, the mass of soldiers reached the bridge leading into demilitarized Germany. There was a sudden pause in the singing and marching, as if to sober the men. Then, the sound of men marching, and singing fervently was joined by a new sound. This sound was the sound of German jackboot hitting the stones.

They were across, but much still had to be done. They had to secure the provincial capital of Saarbrucken. Karl felt strange, he felt immense pride in his part in this, and yet still was scared to death that the strong, new Germany would come apart at the seams if this did not go as planned.

January 2nd-3rd, 1936

They had been marching through the night. Many of the men who had been bursting with pride now felt burdened with fatigue. Stranger still, those who had been scared shitless that apocalypse awaited them on the western side of the Rhine were still going strong.

Karl’s trupp had become quiter as the sun went down, the only noises were the occasional curse of the men who nodded off and then snapped back awake into reality. Also, Fritz, who had been quite most of the time, had struck up a conversation with Rudolf about the girls they had enjoyed in Munster, and decided who was worth paying for, and who was worth stiffing.
Ulrich had graciously taken Otto’s equipment and carried it for him, in exchange for the rations Otto had received for the trip. Otto, walked lighter, and Ulrich walked fuller.
Helmut was lost in his own thoughts, going over abstract war-plans, and the forces needed to execute them. He was a true student of war. Obergefreiter Graebner would occasionally scold one of the men for nodding off, but spent most of the night march thinking about what he would do with his trupp if the French attacked. He eventually came up with the conclusion that Otto, Rudolf, and Karl would die or flee during the first battle, while the rest would fight bravely, and only withdraw if ordered to. Wisely, he did not share this with his men.

The men of XII. Armeekorps entered the city limits of Saabrucken at 2:37 AM. There were no cheering citizens, no flowers raining down on the soldiers who had liberated the town. The only witnesses to their entrance were some drunkards, and a few whores walking the streets. Soon after the city limits were reached, a halt was ordered. The 33. Infanterie Division would set up camp in the fields near Saarbrucken.

Karl Schenck went to sleep an hour after setting up his and Rudolf’s tent. He was afraid that a surprise night bombardment would occur, and that all would be lost. Karl had one eye open all night.

The mayor of Saarbrucken, immediately upon learning that german troops were on this side of the river, asked the leader of the Armeekorps to parade through the city. The march began fairly enough, after being greeted by the farmers and peasants on the outskirts, they entered the city. Unlike before, the streets were crowded with vibrant and happy Germans. The men of the city stood silently, staring at the brave German boys with admiration, the veterans of the Great War wept at the sight of these boys in uniforms, and the terrors it brought back. The young women looked at the soldiers with not only admiration, but a trace of lust.

After the parade, morale was sky-high. Even Karl, who believed that he would not live to see this day, had brightened. They could not have been happier with things, especially since there has been no activity on the border with France. Karl, whose face was marked with lipstick from german girls who just wished to get a hand on any german soldier, once again believed that there was no end to Germany’s glory or might.

Thanks all, this encouragement is MOST appreciated.
Black Rattler, it's pretty hard for me to juggle all of the priorities in my life, and it gets intense at times. I just thought you all should know I live a (semi) regular teenage life, and it is obviously a busy one.

Next update should be out before Friday, and if not, then definitely on the weekend.

Great AAR so far Fuhrerdammerung! If it means anything to you, I would never guess that you are only 14. Get your homework done, spend time with your gf and update when you get the time on your computer and we'll all be happy. Thanks again.

Jono