• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Could Derfel have Angle culture and Anglo-Saxon religion while his mother is alive?

He's Angle cultured up until the age of 6. Given that his mother doesn't die until the 3rd book or so it probably wouldn't make sense to use that as the culture switchover point. :p

I love the books and the mod (being my favorite one back in CK2's early days), but in recent years I found the mod to be quite too slow - it runs surprisingly slower than AGOT with its thousands of events, and Warhammer with its 1200+ provinces.

Is there a submod that cuts out provinces (in the style of the No India mod) so that performance can be improved at least a little? I really want to play it again.

Not to my knowledge.

Hey, I'm not sure if this is something you guys would be interested in or not, but I found The Story of the Goths by Henry Bradley and The Franks by Lewis Sergeant on Amazon Kindle while browsing for some cheap history books.

They're a bit old but still provide some decent information about the Goths and Franks during the periods covered in this mod. Oh, I'm also not sure what nationality you guys are, but if you're not British when Henry Bradley talks about Corn doles it's good to keep in mind that Corn in British English means any grain, but mostly refers to wheat.

Hey, I'm not sure if this is something you guys would be interested in or not, but I found The Story of the Goths by Henry Bradley and The Franks by Lewis Sergeant on Amazon Kindle while browsing for some cheap history books.

They're a bit old but still provide some decent information about the Goths and Franks during the periods covered in this mod. Oh, I'm also not sure what nationality you guys are, but if you're not British when Henry Bradley talks about Corn doles it's good to keep in mind that Corn in British English means any grain, but mostly refers to wheat.

That'd be interesting, thanks. :)

Kingdom of Midhe
Perhaps the most radically different kingdom at the start from the familiar medieval setup is the realm of the Southern Ui Neill, the Kingdom of Midhe. In 479, the conquests of the Ui Neill begun several decades earlier had yet to be completed, and the Ui Neill under King Lugaid mac Loegaire rule over only about half of what would eventually form the full extent of the kingdom.
vVIc3fW.jpg

At the eastern edge of the kingdom, at the frontier against the fading old tribes of the area are the sons of High King Loegaire, the Cenel Loegairi, including the current king Lugaid and another branch ruled by his brother. This would be the high point of their success; after the death of Lugaid they would decline to become vassals of the Sil nAedo Slaine, according to a curse from St. Patrick himself in the legends. Perhaps you can defy this curse and ensure there are many more Kings and High Kings of your house.

JyovzdI.jpg

Ruling from the ancient and sacred Hill of Uisneach is Conall Cremthaine mac Niall, whose descendants would later come to dominate all of Midhe. Under him is the relatively minor kingdom of the Cenel Maini, ruled by Maine mac Niall, with a suspiciously similar name and nearby location to the larger and more important Ui Maine in Connacht. Seize Brega and the kingship and cement your control over the other dynasties of the Southern Ui Neill as Conall Cremthaine, or perhaps make a name for yourself and try to reunite with your brothers across the Shannon River as Maine.

bTlBcex.jpg
2r96bUo.jpg

To the north is the is the great kingdom of Breifne, ruled not by the Ui Briuin who would conquer the area in the 8th century but by the Cenel Cairpre, the descendants of the current king Coirpre mac Niall who may have even been High King at some point. Uniting the two main kingdoms of the Ui Neill into a single contiguous arc, the kingdom would slowly decline and lose territory to various Connacht tribes over the next couple of centuries, leaving only two minor kingdoms at each edge to mark its former extent. Hold your kingdom firm and resist the trepidations of invading tribes from the west and other Ui Neill branches envious of your power, and maybe the Ui Neill both North and South can be united under your rule. Under the Cenel Cairpre we also have two minor and rather obscure tribes, the Dartraighe and Masraige.
BpltEID.jpg

6cl3PRn.jpg

Only one of the lines of the sons of Niall remains unlanded at start- the Cenel Fiachach, the descendants of Fiachu mac Neill, as their kingdom would not be founded until the defeat of the Ui Failghe in 514. To make this somewhat vaguely probably to happen, Fiachu will start with a strong claim to the province, and the other lords of Midhe also have claims to encourage historical expansion of the Ui Neill branches into the unconquered lands of Midhe.
dyyQAaq.jpg
FKMnMhN.jpg

Finally, in the east of Brega lies the independent Kingdom of the Ciannachta, an unrelated dynasty with distant ties to the Eoganachta. The Ciannachta appear to have been the original rulers of Brega with a substantial kingdom prior to the rise of the Ui Neill, but have been slowly pushed back, eventually to be taken over entirely in the 6th century. Under the Ciannachta is the closely related tribe of the Gailenga, and once there was also the other affiliated tribe of the Luighne, though by this point the Luighne of Brega had been conquered by the Ui Neill. Can you stand your ground and resist the powerful rising tide of the Ui Neill, or will you fall to the inevitable and be doomed to irrelevance as a minor vassal tribe?
JgZBVEr.jpg
w1dM1LO.jpg

Last edited:
Have there been changes to the dejure structure of Ireland for the Romans? Or is it still split into Hibernia I and II?

Will there be any religious changes or additions in the next update?

Foederati, Cultures, and Religions
Onto some minor features we're adding in the very-soon-to-be-released patch.

To begin, we've adjusted the British foederati to be represented as permanent tributaries rather than vassals. This, of course, prevents the AI from revoking their titles and converting them as they liked to do, which tended to screw up the rise of the Northumbrian kingdoms. Foederati also now get paid by their lieges, so there is now actually some point to staying a tributary longer than is absolutely necessary.

To prevent you from just ending the tributary agreement and destroying them a few years later, we've disabled that interaction for foederati, and replaced it with a special targetted decision to force them to become a vassal. Don't expect to get away without a fight though.
GPeZKyi.jpg

We've also made some adjustments to the setup of the Frisia and Lower Rhine area. Historically, Frisia had been almost completely abandoned at the end of the 4th century, to be resettled by much the same Germanic tribes from further up the North Sea that would make their way to Britannia - Jutes, Angles, Saxons, even some Norse. The (Old) Frisian culture now exists as a melting pot culture that will arise in the region in the early 6th century, as the different tribes mix and a new identity arises. As well, based an archeological evidence it appears that the Franks had retreated from the Hamaland/Salland area and the Rhine delta sometime in the mid-5th century, with the Toxandria area only becoming Frankish again later; those areas are now ruled by Saxon tribes at start (though holding off the Franks might prove to be an extremely difficult challenge).
Pg9G2Mu.jpg
KhxfsLn.jpg

N1vHcI9.jpg

We've also significantly expanded the culture shifts and melting pots of the Frankish culture. The Frankish culture has been split into a more Germanic "Old Frankish" culture and a more Romanized "Frankish" culture arising in the 7th century, which will then split into Dutch and Franconian in the 9th century, all with their own unique name lists and localisations. At the same time, Imperial cultures ruled by the Franks will evolve into one of French, Occitan, or Arpitan, depending on the province's location, assimilating Franks settled deep in Gaul as they go.
Wlq9cOp.jpg
z090onE.jpg

Finally, we've implemented the Hellenic reformation mechanics from Project Augustus. Hellenic paganism now has two reformation paths: Reformed Hellenic or Sol Invictus. Reformed Hellenic represents a more typical reformation in the vein of Emperor Julian's attempts at reviving the old religion, and is very similar to the current Hellenic religion after the Pontificate is restore. Reforming into Sol Invictus is basically following the path of Aurelian, who tried to raise the cult of Sol Invictus, the Unconquered Sun, as the main god of the empire, for all its citizens to worship (though not exclusive of their existing local gods). Gameplay-wise it is similar to Reformed Hellenic, but with a seperate theocratic head of religion instead.
89dhO04.jpg
YMtXwS4.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of the Hellenic faith, have you considered turning the old Promethean heresy into the Roman worlds version of the Hermetic Society? It would make more sense for them to be an order than a full-blown religion, plus gives the mod some added diversity from vanilla. It's that or using Neo-Platonicism instead, but the Neo-Platonics don't experiment all that much verse purely studying and conjecturing.

Pardon for asking but are the viking invasions during the 790s on wards hard coded in the mod, or are the migrations handled with the vanilla "Rise of the vikings" event that allows viking AI to conquer areas of the Isles

Speaking of the Hellenic faith, have you considered turning the old Promethean heresy into the Roman worlds version of the Hermetic Society? It would make more sense for them to be an order than a full-blown religion, plus gives the mod some added diversity from vanilla. It's that or using Neo-Platonicism instead, but the Neo-Platonics don't experiment all that much verse purely studying and conjecturing.

Prometheanism is taken pretty much taken entirely from Ancient Religions.

Pardon for asking but are the viking invasions during the 790s on wards hard coded in the mod, or are the migrations handled with the vanilla "Rise of the vikings" event that allows viking AI to conquer areas of the Isles

They are currently "hardcoded", but that is planned to be changed.

Talking about Helenistic religions, will Mithraism ever come out as a true religion or just remain as a secret cult/society?

We think that society/trait will work best.

I'm curious, what would be wrong with using the Hermetic Society?

Also, while I don't have any ideas for society flavor, abilities, etc., I think that a Gnostic Christian society would be interesting; there was supposed to be one in vanilla Monks and Mystics, but it never came into fruition. It could be interesting to see it added here though.

I'm curious, what would be wrong with using the Hermetic Society?

Nothing particularly wrong with it, I just thought it'd be nice to give hellenic pagans an alternative to Hermeticism. A unique flavor that would show that pagan traditions were not only alive but also growing into new forms.

Though after a quick look at the history of Hermeticism, I wonder why it was chosen as a society since even though its ancient, it didn't return to prominence in Europe after the fall of Rome till the 1460's well after CK2's last start date happens.

Prometheanism is taken pretty much taken entirely from Ancient Religions.
We used to have Prometheanism in WtWSMS too, but then we removed it due to it being ahistorical and centred around a restoration scenario. Maybe in TWK a separate heresy could be added if you want to keep the Promethean heresy?