Wealth of Nations Dev Diary 3: Companies and Canals

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you're adding buildable canals, will you be adding buildable straights as well? Like, allow a country that controls both southern Iberia and northern Africa or southern India and Ceylon to construct a system of ferries and whatnot that'll end up functioning just like 'natural' straights.

I think you've stumbled on something here.

Prior to this Gibraltar has always been made separate from Africa on the map, because otherwise Spain swallows Africa most of the time. But if a strait has the requirements of a canal, the balance issue with Spain appears can be adjusted down to become something that only happens occasionally, if ever, when the AI is playing.

I wish there was a canal that cut through russia from arond gulf of Finland to the black sea.

Now that would be useful.would save lots of time.

Was annoying as Byzantines being raided in ck2 by Denmark!

Prior to this Gibraltar has always been made separate from Africa on the map, because otherwise Spain swallows Africa most of the time. But if a strait has the requirements of a canal, the balance issue with Spain appears can be adjusted down to become something that only happens occasionally, if ever, when the AI is playing.

Somewhere between CK2 and EU4, my pixel soldiers forgot how to walk from Tangiers to Cadiz/Gibraltar... So medieval guys still had the ability to walk on water, amazing! We must rediscover this lost technology!

A buildable strait would be an anti canal, in fact canals probably use the same coding as straits... I will make this mod when the DLC is release

maybe a special kind of strait that allows movement of troops, but doesn't cancel the "distant oversees" penalty?

Canals could be coop projects...

Something that everyone seems to be forgetting is that canals could easily become cooperative projects. The main benefit of a canal is going to be the added naval mobility, especially in multiplayer games. It is not inconceivable that a bunch of Western European nations might collectivly gift whatever nation was in control of the particular isthmus the funds required to build the canal since everyone would benefit. I could really see this happening in MP games and creating an interesting dynamic.

I am of the opinion, they should have fleet basing rights to use the canals (though Kiel canal is next to pointless). I can see why Panama and Suez were added to reduce time going round the Cape of Africa and Southern tip of South America, but Kiel is like 3 sea zones, hardly a game changer.

I just cant understand why canals are useable by everyone. Its a canal! its pretty much the easiest thing in the world to deprive an enemy of if you control the surrounding provinces.

I am of the opinion, they should have fleet basing rights to use the canals (though Kiel canal is next to pointless). I can see why Panama and Suez were added to reduce time going round the Cape of Africa and Southern tip of South America, but Kiel is like 3 sea zones, hardly a game changer.
It was to not have to sail past the Danish islands. A hostile Denmark with large guns pointing at your ships is not cool...