• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rastar said:
Dai Viet saw me headed for their provinces, so they loaded up their armies from Khmer and took them all back to the homeland. This AI is definitely improved, as I would not have expected that from the 3.0 AI.

In the north, my vassal and ally Taungu is acting like a complete idiot. Their army still outnumber Lan Na's, but now they have 2 provinces occupied. Arrgghh!

Interesting... I wonder if the AI commits most CPU cycles to the player's enemies. That would explain how Taungu got their act together once you signed peace with Dai Viet.

Well done keeping up with the rebels, perseverance paid off. Now your short term policy should be simple: forts, forts, forts! :)

Feedback

Kami: Yeah Manchu has a rough life. In this game Ming has already taken 2 of their best provinces.

Brandenburg III: I have noticed major improvements in the AI between vanilla 1.3 and now. They still do stupid things from time to time but a lot of the maddening things are gone, like in 1.3 watching their big fleets stay in port when pirates are blockading right outside…

I always move sliders whenever I can. This is the only game in recent memory where I have sat on a slider move for any length of time. As someone who typically expands a lot, my opportunities to move them get rarer and rarer as the game progresses, and I don’t ever get them to where I want them by the end of the game. That being said, the introduction in 3.1 of random events tied to slider moves may change things a bit…

Alfred Packer: All’s well that end’s well :D

Rasmus40: Thanks!

Demon1: Yes, the delay in updates was longer than I had wanted. Unfortunately I was travelling to see some sick family members last week.

Enewald: The number of rebel pops has seemed more than statistically average. Perhaps the game will reward me with a rebel-free period? Yeah, who am I kidding.

Lachlan Smith: Glad to hear you like the entertainment ;)

Macroeconomics: The casualty rate on rebels is certainly lower in Chinese tech group than in Latin. As a result, I am forced to bring bigger stacks to the fight in order to get the overrun. This will mean leaving a lot more armies on rebel duty as I expand…which will obviously cost quite a bit.

In the South, Aceh and Brunei have both guaranteed Makassar. None of the 3 have any alliances. If it stays like that, I will be able to land troops on Brunei (using my mil access) and then get war with all 3 at once with a DOW on Maka. All 3 of them have much larger navies than me, so moving troops around will be difficult. The one Hindu in the South (Maja) does not have any alliances or guarantees.

Prawnstar: Yes I do now have enough money to fortify all provinces. However, with the high RR this will be a staggered build. Will only be building forts in places where I can park some troops for defense. In order to have a chance against my Southern Sunni neighbors, I also need a ton of cash to build ships.

Alriq: Very interesting theory. I was quite mystified by Taungu’s behavior.

Update – Perhaps we should back away from this cliff just a bit

1/1413 The last rebel stack is defeated. Cheer!!!

I am still at war with Manchu, but they still have not attacked at all and I don’t think they ever will. I tried white peace offers a few times but no go. In agreement with a lot of comments on this thread, it is time to move some sliders and build some forts. I will not be sending out any missionaries till RR has cooled off a bit.

In random other news, Ming has beaten up Shan, taken one of their provinces, and made them a vassal. I wonder how soon until they go after someone else in Southeast Asia…

1/1413 I move a slider one last notch towards aristocracy and get a stab hit. Why can’t I get a rebel pop when I could actually handle one? On the choice of sliders, I continue to want cheap cavalry more than increased centralization.

You can also see the boys getting into position for fort-building. The plan is to split the troops into 3 groups on 3 provinces and build 3 forts. With all the RR, it wouldn’t work well to start building forts in undefended territory.

The treasury at 600+ ducats is like a completely different world than 7 years ago.

At the bottom, you can see that we are busy offering alliances to various new vassals.

2/1413 Members of the happy kid’s club of vassals are now providing just over 10% of total monthly revenue (2.55 out of 22.2). My cash flow is negative on a monthly basis but still positive on a yearly basis.

Prestige is up to 45, and Land Tradition is 30.8. This is not enough to hire a good general, but it is a decent start. As you can see, the fort-building plan is now underway.

I also switched investment from Stab to Govt. The reason is temples plus the NI. Unless I get a lucky break, I will be taking lots of stab hits relatively soon to attack my Sunni friends to the South and East (Aceh, Brunei, and Maka). Based on evidence so far, me waiting for lucky breaks is not a real solid plan…

2/1414 The first set of forts is finished, and my truce with Ayut is over. They have this incredibly tasty capital province (11 base tax) and only 2k of troops defending it. Even better, they have a couple of weak allies that surely have a secret desire to join the vassal club.

I have no confidence in Pegu taking Ayut out and sparing me the 6 BB hit on annexing. Since I didn’t take any provinces in the last couple peace treaties, BB has been steadily dropping and is now at only 0.49. It would be unfortunate if it dropped to 0.00, since I get these strange voices in my head when that happens. I really am a hopeless warmonger, aren’t I? Oh yeah, there is that problem of huge rebel pops in such a rich province, but I do have a couple of ideas on how to handle that.

So anyway, DOW on Ayut. This brings in their alliance partners Lan Xang and Khmer. The goal of this war is to annex Ayut and to make vassals of the other two, since neither of them has any good provinces. Khmer has 0 army and has gone bankrupt twice since our last war. Lan Xang has a small army and only has a fort in 1 of their provinces.

I have some alliances of my own in Taungu, Lan Na, and Champa, so will be hitting them from all directions. For now I decided not to ally with Dai Viet, since Ming still has that nasty mission to wipe them off the face of the earth.

6/1414 Everything is going well except Khmer, where a rebel pop has beaten my siege army

10/1414 Annex Ayut. At last, no more need to try to spell their full name :rofl:

1/1415 Peace with Khmer. They join the vassal club and give up 3 cores.

1/1415 Peace with Lan Xang for 150 ducats, and they also join the vassal club. I waited until the new year to try to get maximum cash, but was still rather surprised at how much they had. I’m certainly not complaining though :p

With that, I am back at peace again.

Oh yes, what to do next…?

DOW one of France's allies and take down France.

Oh wait, that's what I should do in *my* AAR... :)

I would suggest throwing around guarantees and warnings in India and see what opportunities arise.

This war was a much cleaner affair than the last one. I agree with curufin, once every province is duly fortified you should start investing in a modest navy that can help you against Aceh and Brunei.

Who is shaping as dominant power in northern India right now?

If you need western neighbours and want to get to the Americas then start the long haul west - Ceylon can make a good target. Also useful as a staging post for India.

Smart move on the forts, staggering the builds - one of stupidest things I've done is conquer a pagan start building forts and DOW their neighbour :eek:o

Feedback

Rasmus40: The easiest next targets are definitely Pegu and Suko. It doesn’t cost a stab hit to DOW them, and they have few troops. In the map below will put status on fort building.

Curufin: Yep. In addition to the great things you mentioned, all of Aceh and Brunei is same-religion and same culture group, so RR would be a lot less than the provinces I have taken so far. Unfortunately Aceh still hasn’t gotten around to building forts, so would need to spend 350 ducats on them after the war was over.

Vann the Red: Thanks! There are lots of tough choices on using the cash. If I want to go South, building a fleet could use up a ton of money very quickly.

Aldriq: Deciding on a size for that navy is a royal pain. Will try to cover my thoughts on that in the update.

PrawnStar: Thanks…yes I have learned the hard way on that as well.

Obentraut, Enewald, naggy, PrawnStar: I love the India idea, but there is a bit of a problem…

All the good stuff in India is Terra Incognita. The only halfway decent provinces I can see are owned by Bengal, who is marked with a B on the map. Unfortunately Bengal is Sunni. Will talk about Bihar in the update section...

In other noteworthy countries north of me, the P is Pegu, the S is Suko, and the A is Assam. Both Suko and Assam are allied with Pegu.

The 3 provinces marked with an X have RR and do not have forts. There are also 4 provinces down south that lack forts, but all of them have 0% RR.

Update – Cleaning up the neighborhood

Thanks for all the suggestions! The plan is a combination of things that were suggested. By the way, my BB is currently 2.99, WE is 6.27, and yearly ducat gain is 27.

Aceh/Brunei/Maka. As discussed previously, there is decent land to the south. Once I start a war, I will plan to take a bunch of provinces. I need 3 things before I can DOW them: 1) a non-pathetic navy, 2) lower BB, and 3) lower WE.

On the navy, my vassals all have decent fleets but I don’t trust them to deploy wisely. Unclear whether I could effectively use my own ships as bait to draw enemy fleets to the shores of the vassals. Aceh has their ships parked on the opposite side of the island from me, so decent chance I could get cavalry across the land bridge.

On the BB, I just took the 6 point hit for annexing Ayut. Since I plan to take a lot of provinces, I need to be at very low BB before starting the war. On the WE, this is about controlling RR. My current WE is in the “high but manageable” area. However, at the moment I can’t handle the additional points of RR caused by the DOW. As a result, Aceh/Brunei/Maka will be #2 on the target list.

India. With map spread set at default and quite a while till QFTNW, the only real interesting opportunity is the province of Bihar. If I get a chance, I will DOW someone who is allied with them. That will of course reveal Bihar, and it is right next to land that I can see. Would love to get my hands on their luscious COT. With the new 3.1 mechanic on map spread I would then get to see all the provinces bordering Bihar within a few years, and a couple of them are decent. While I am willing to take an unconnected province in the middle of Hindu territory, it by itself won’t do that much for me…so Bihar is #3 on the target list.

Easy Targets. This would be Pegu/Suko/Assam. The goal would be to gain 3 more members of the happy kid’s club of vassals. I don’t want any of the territory since it all has low base tax. The side benefits of going after these targets are A) seals me off to the north with vassals, so less at risk while fighting in the south later, and B) can be used as a time-filler while I prepare for fighting in the south. They are #1 on the target list.

5/1415 DOW on Pegu. This brings in alliance partners Sukthothai (Suko) and Assam. I have allies surrounding them, so this should be a short war.

6/1415 Peace with Sukthothai for 75 ducats and a vassal club card. Curious why they never built a fort in their one province, since they had enough money in the treasury. Oh well, the money is mine now :cool:

10/1416 Another one of the new random events in 3.1, resulting in yet another stab hit for me. I would like this event a lot more if I hadn’t already maxed the aristocracy slider. :mad: In the background you can see progress in the war against Assam.

1/1417 Peace with Assam, for the price of a shiny membership card in the vassal club. I waited till the beginning of the year, but no cash to be had from this one.

1/1417 Peace with Pegu for the same deal. What happened to all the treasury cash we saw in the last wars? Notice the rebel pop up in the upper left corner of the screen that is about to wipe out my army. :eek:

1417-1420 Cue the background music, while we have a brief interlude so that I can fight ridiculous quantities of rebels... :rolleyes:

4/1420 Finally time for some action. Unfortunately, Brunei’s guarantee on Maka expired a while ago. This means that I can’t get war with the 2 of them plus Aceh for the price of 1 DOW. The best I can do is a DOW on Maka, bringing in Aceh.

In general overview, my army size is up to 13k troops, yearly ducat gain is down to 9, WE is at 1.03, and BB is at 2.05. The navy situation remains very sad. In the last 3 years I have built 2 carracks. Brunei has 10 of them, Aceh has 11, and Maka has 6.

4/1420 DOW on Makassar, bringing in Aceh. This costs 3 stab and WE hits. As you can see, I got mil access to Aceh and spammed them with troops. The plan is to annex Makassar and take all of Aceh’s provinces except the capital. Aceh’s provinces are rather poor, but they are all the right culture and religion.

In the upper right corner, I just sent out my first missionary. RR is still a bit high so would have preferred to wait longer, but was close to capping out at 5 missionaries.

And now it is time to play a really long game of chase. The goal is to land troops on Maka and not get creamed by either their or Aceh’s navy. Aceh got the alliance lead in this war, so I can’t peace them out till done with Maka. My, what fun we have. We lure them over to our vassals, we go around and around Brunei, we go round and round Aceh, we drag some of their ships all the way north to Korea. You get the idea. While I could certainly provide lots of screenshots of this, I’m guessing you would much rather I didn’t.

8/1422 So anyway, we finally land the troops, win the siege, and annex Makassar. No more spelling that name either!

8/1422 Peace with Aceh for 7 provinces. They are now an OPM.

As expected, I picked up a ton of BB from that war, and it is now at 16.09. Planning to be at peace for several years to burn this off. Just started building a couple more forts, and will be sending out more missionaries soon. Will also need to build forts on the new provinces from Aceh.

Looking to the future, hopefully Brunei and Aceh will get into an alliance so I can attack both of them with one DOW. I will be sending Brunei a couple insults to drive our relationship down and try to make Aceh look good to them.

Thoughts?

Just warn them both - Maybe they dow you or someone else. Is Makassar really worth it. You have a small navy and the rebels over there can become a major problem.

Hopefully you'll get a core event on Aceh. If you do, then you should probably remove their cores before annexing...

Very well chosen, but don't you eventually need the manpower from those new vassals? As well as a land connection to the indian territories? Or planning on taking pieces oout of ming first?

Rastar said:
All the good stuff in India is Terra Incognita...

That is ridiculous, so according to that Sunni Islam spontaneously appeared in SE Asia?! Your citizens can't even pray towards Mecca because they don't know where it is... :eek:

Rastar said:
8/1422 Peace with Aceh for 7 provinces. They are now an OPM.

Good job. Aceh's provinces must be quite low value for you to be able to bag 7 in one go.

aldriq said:
That is ridiculous, so according to that Sunni Islam spontaneously appeared in SE Asia?! Your citizens can't even pray towards Mecca because they don't know where it is... :eek:

We should create a new mission for Islamic nations that haven't discovered Mecca.

Find Mecca!
Allah has noticed the pitiful state of your people praying in all different directions because they don't know where Mecca is. Find Mecca, so that your people might pray in the correct direction!

Gain 5.0 prestige
Gain 3 missionaries

naggy said:
We should create a new mission for Islamic nations that haven't discovered Mecca.

Find Mecca!
Allah has noticed the pitiful state of your people praying in all different directions because they don't know where Mecca is. Find Mecca, so that your people might pray in the correct direction!

Gain 5.0 prestige
Gain 3 missionaries
:rofl:

Or what about: Since we lack the knowledge of Mecca's true position, then let us claim our own! Conquer province XX and call it Mecca, so our people can pray in the same direction...

Gain Core on province XX gain 1% prestige a year

Kami said:
:rofl:

Or what about: Since we lack the knowledge of Mecca's true position, then let us claim our own! Conquer province XX and call it Mecca, so our people can pray in the same direction...

Gain Core on province XX gain 1% prestige a year

Great. Do non-muslim states get +1 prestige and +.5 missionaries for every Mecca they own? ;)