• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As a developer the new system has many significant advantages over CK2's CoA, but I can understand why it's a little more daunting to modders who haven't used it much.

Would I be correct in assuming that the main issue from the modder's perspective is that it's an extra step to get a premade flag texture to show up in the game?
I just cannot comprehend why you would spend so much time making coats of arms without a visual representation (preview) of what they look like.

If you designed this system for the game - and the coats of arms look excellent, so well done - surely designing a tool to do it would have made sense.

It seems like such laborious work for something which should be far simpler.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It is indeed much more powerful and flexible. It also permits good quality for randomly generated CoA.
Main flaw is that there is no way to preview it than launching the game.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I just cannot comprehend why you would spend so much time making coats of arms without a visual representation (preview) of what they look like.

We use the text editor to edit values, but of course we also had visual representation - you can see the CoA update live in the game window (you might need to be in debug mode for that, not sure).

• 1Like
Reactions:
We use the text editor to edit values, but of course we also had visual representation - you can see the CoA update live in the game window (you might need to be in debug mode for that, not sure).

I assume it's the 'Flag Preview' option but I don't see anywhere to make it update and that search bar does nothing.

1599496219386.png

Like I tested with the Seljuk and changed it in 90_dynasties.txt and don't see any changes I put in the file (tried both with my mod running and with the vanilla file without mods). Maybe it's something not enabled for non devs?

Last edited:
Hmm it seems you are right. I'll look into it and see if that's something we can change.
Please let it be something that you can change bc otherwise there is no way for modders to preview a CoA and the positioning, rotation and scaling of it will be a huge pain in the ass.
I have to create hundreds or rather over a thousand CoAs and flags for the CK3 Warcraft mod and the thought of launching the game to check a CoA or flag every single time when I think I'm done with one is already driving me insane and it's going to cost so much time. Please, give us something to make the process simple, easy and fast. I beg of you ='(

Reactions:
As a developer the new system has many significant advantages over CK2's CoA, but I can understand why it's a little more daunting to modders who haven't used it much.

Would I be correct in assuming that the main issue from the modder's perspective is that it's an extra step to get a premade flag texture to show up in the game?

What I've noticed is it has a lot more flexibility and there is a lot more variation in the designs you can make, but the system is also less user friendly to the idea of an editor, or the very least being and editor able to use the full scope of what the new CoA system is capable of. As a modder with out some sort of tool it would be a rather difficult and time consuming process to make custom coat of arms with the assets they have and instead would be easier to just plop in your own fully made designs.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What I've noticed is it has a lot more flexibility and there is a lot more variation in the designs you can make, but the system is also less user friendly to the idea of an editor, or the very least being and editor able to use the full scope of what the new CoA system is capable of. As a modder with out some sort of tool it would be a rather difficult and time consuming process to make custom coat of arms with the assets they have and instead would be easier to just plop in your own fully made designs.

I like the consistency that it provides. CK2 CoAs were beyond hideous, most of the times. Taken from modern municipal designs or obscure province flags, different colour tones and designs, different styles (here there's a basic vector art eagle from Wikimedia, there's a Baroque-style lion, there a 19th Century Prussian eagle...) they broke the consistency of the main Wappenwiki-inspired designs. That's why Solo's work for Patrum Scuta was an essential part of CK2 without which I just can't play.

Now, if a county has no defined COA, it will generate one and that one will fit the style of the others.

Besides, we only need Paradox to give us an editor that works in a similar way to the one they used. If Bannerlord got an advanced (basically infinite) banner editor within the first two weeks. I don't see why a CoA editor for CK3, even fanmade, is out of the question.

• 3Like
Reactions:
this is not entirely related but is there any way to put an automated army (or give control to the marshall to take care of the war for me) in the game or make a mod for it, I'm getting tired of having to go to war every 5 mins and move my army's around the map to defend/attack cuz some dumb character feels like taking me on.

Last edited:
@SaintDaveUK

Could you please upload the 'reformed religion' background image as a template? I can't upload .DDS here but I mean the brown image that is a layer behind pagan religion icons, like this.

It's annoying trying to replicate it.

Attachments

• hellenic_reformed.jpg
    hellenic_reformed.jpg
    8,7 KB · Views: 0
Did I miss the fix or said patch? Is it possible to update CoAs live in the game window now?

No, it was a fix for modders.

CK2's ruler designer had a CoA tool, and we know for a fact ruler designer is coming for CK3. So maybe we just need to wait for that.

This didn't age well.

If and when this ever gets implemented I'd really appreciate being able to change my family COA (hopefully in the form on the CK2 Char creator). As an Irish man with my own family crest and playing an Irish king who has a different, yet still real one (O'Niells in this case) bothers me waaaay more than it should lol
Imagine not spending 5 hours randomizing the CoA in the character creator until you get your family crest and don't click randomize again like an idiot.

In all seriousness though, for the love of God please fix this paradox.