• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've experimented with editing, and found that if you reduce the size of an RGO to 0, then people will migrate from the province. This is different to closing it as they will not migrate from a closed RGO, it's treated exactly the same as a closed, or in construction factory

I've seen in-game some mention of buildings being degraded etc. Perhaps cities with agricultural RGOs should have their RGOs reduced in size?

It's a bit of a botch of course. While in cities now there's zero farming, nor has there been for a very long time the provinces in Victoria includes the surrounding area.

A long term solution when the source code becomes available for edit - RGOs could be reduced in capacity voluntarily, down to a minimum of size 0 which would hold 1 pop. I guess the computer players would need to know when to do this. Perhaps when a resource is not set to buy, and is of low value (perhaps 2.5 or less), and it's some sort of point mid to late game the AI would opt for it.

In the short term though, while you can't add pops of 250 without them quickly merging, you could consider adding aristocrat, clergy or officer pops if the province isn't supposed to have them. And yes while you didn't get 500 clerics emigrating to Rhodesia, but I don't think there's a perfect solution.

I notice that Oranje only has cores on two provinces, neither of which they own at the beginning. Shouldnt they get cores on at least their capital at the start. Furthermore, shouldnt they get cores on all the land they take over due to event, and even all of UK south africa? Seeing as this is where they were to begin with.

I notice that Oranje only has cores on two provinces, neither of which they own at the beginning. Shouldnt they get cores on at least their capital at the start. Furthermore, shouldnt they get cores on all the land they take over due to event, and even all of UK south africa? Seeing as this is where they were to begin with.

Oranje starts with cores on their capital of Bloemfontein, plus cores on Winburg and Mafeking. Personally I think that the core on Mafeking should be replaced by a core on Basutoland (prov2809), as this would seem to fit in better together on map.

But yeah, could definitely do with giving cores via event.

I noticed that VIP fixed the problem with Australia and New Zealand by having a gradual increase of British. I wonder, could the same be done for other colonies such as Northern and Southern Rhodesia, Kenya etc. Obviously there need not be as many Europeans as in Australia and New Zealand, but these colonies all had sizable European minorities. It would be pretty cool to have the minorities represented.

Information on white settlers in Southern Rhodesia:
  • The first settlers began to arrive in Salisbury (now Harare) in 1890, because of suspected mineral wealth to be found.
  • In 1892 there were as many as 1500 white settlers in the Salisbury region.
  • In 1907 there were 14,000 white settlers in Southern Rhodesia.
  • By the time of the referendum on self-government (which made Southern Rhodesia a self-governing colony) there were about 33,000/34,000 settlers in the colony.

Extracted from a variety of sources, including "A History of Africa" By J. D. Fage, William Tordoff (page 448 in particular) as well as this website (not sure how reliable, but seems to support what the book says roughly).

Also, I'm not sure on what provinces exactly, but I would put most of the settlers in Salisbury province, with some in the less populated west (which, from my understanding, was sparsely populated by white farmers, with no major towns, etc... with white populations).

In addition, Northern Rhodesia's white settler population was only comparable to the sizes of Portuguese and Belgian settlers, in their respective colonies, at the time. For this reason, I don't think there should be that many settlers going to Northern Rhodesia.

As for Kenya, well Wikipedia says that in 1921 there were only 9651 Europeans in Kenya (which I believe would be best placed in the highlands of Kenya mainly). There were settlers with their own farms as early as 1906, but I'm not too sure on their numbers (but must have been at least a little significant for them to be given a voice in government, in 1907, through positions on the Legislative Council).

Hmm, thats very interesting. I didn't know that there were that many Europeans in southern Rhodesia, everything I had read said that there were fewer, it wasn't until much later that the population of Europeans really exploded. But that seems like a reasonably credible source. I'll take your word for it

Yeah I was quite shocked too... I had thought that it was post-WW2 that the majority of white settlers went to the African colonies (before moving back to the UK after those former colonies gained independence).

But as you say... reasonably credible sources - it's published! Also, with respect to Kenya, the number seems very precise (particularly for Wikipedia!) which encourages me to believe it has come from another, more reliable source beforehand.

I hope that some European POPs are thrown into the mix then. I know people don't like adding POPs, but I think its nice to get things historically accurate, but thats just me. The only time I got British POPs in Rhodesia was one time as the UK, I got a bunch of immigrants, then transferred the territory to South Africa who granted it statehood. Then I took it back and the people converted. It was an irritatingly long process.

Yeah the 'add_pop' command is the last resort where you can't get migration by other means really. I think there are some events that make precious metals in South Rhodesia though?? Isn't there?? Can't remember for sure or not, but I seem to recall getting POPs there due to that... although they were in the completely wrong place!

Yeah, the precious metal certainly helps, but I think you need the high plurality to get them there. Like I said I have only had immigrants there once and I had 100 percent plurality and the Liberal party in power. Even then, I didn't get that many immigrants.

Yeah, the precious metal certainly helps, but I think you need the high plurality to get them there. Like I said I have only had immigrants there once and I had 100 percent plurality and the Liberal party in power. Even then, I didn't get that many immigrants.

I don't think plurality matters for 'internal' migration to colonies. Okay getting some foreign POPs there might be, but colonial migration I *think* is down to it's own reasons (inventions like "Malthusian Thought" encourage colonial migration, for instance?).

The reason why British POPs may wish to not go there is because there are better places elsewhere, or perhaps there just isn't enough 'push' factors making them migrate to South Rhodesia (or wherever?), for instance? The 'pull' factor here would be the precious metal which attracts them to the province.

Last edited:
There are wars/events for the Zulu becoming subjects of the UK:

From VIP_Colonization.txt:
ENG 330084 - "British Intervention In Zululand". This causes a war between the two nations but only fires in purely AI-AI situations, however.

From VIP_England.txt & VIP_Zulu.txt:
ENG 157837 - "Britain's Ultimatum to the Zulu". This triggers the event below.
ZUL 313009 - "Britain's Ultimatum to Cetshwayo". A) choice goes to war with ENG. B) choice triggers the event below.
ENG 157838 - "Britain's Ultimatum to the Zulu Accepted". Inherits the realms of the Zulu.

So basically... it's either war or getting inherited for the Zulu (as long as the trigger conditions are met, of course). There are also a fair amount of alternate choices in other events which can sleep some of these events from occurring.

Last edited:
As jonesy points out, the Zulu war is in the game. It however requires that the situation on the ground in South Africa resemble the historical situation for it to occur. Importantly, it requires that Britain have had the event to force Transvaal to become a satellite in 1878 (157834), Zulu exist, and Britain control the provinces in Natal and the Transkei to the south of Zululand.

Of course, after 1885, the human player of ENG, should the historical situation not result in the event firing, can take out Zulu on their own accord. We script events to fire, but can not guarantee that they will 100% happen if something goes off the historical rails in that part of the world.

This is just a tiny thing, but I was playing as Liberia, and I wanted to start a bunch of wars, so I declared war on the US. A while later, they white peace me and I'm an independent nation. Then, I invade whichever that 3-province nation to the north of Liberia is, and in the middle of the war get the "Liberia gains independence" (sometime around 1845).

The trigger should be altered. Perhaps this should be the trigger:
Code:
	trigger = {
		random = 5
		OR = {
			satellite = { country = LIB country = USA }
			alliance = { country = LIB country = USA }
		}
	}
(added in the "OR = { ... }" parts).

This is LIB 11700 found in "...\scenarios\VIPscen\events\vanilla\Liberia.txt", btw.

Last edited:
Played another game as Liberia - there are actually two (maybe more?) events regarding its independence that don't seem to have anything to do with one another. One is in the VIPscen/events/VIP_USA.txt, which gives a decision to the US regarding Liberian independence. The other is in the VIPscen/events/vanilla/Liberia.txt. The two seem totally unrelated - both triggered for me, at different times. Maybe merge the second with the first?