• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

hellfish6

Nuke the site from orbit.
93 Badges
Jan 21, 2003
nope.nope.com
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
V.I.P Africa

I realize it's probably obnoxious that I, a lowly sergeant, should start two topics in regards to V.I.P. but I'd really like to get an Africa thread going.

Some events I'd like to see, if they haven't been included:

The creation of the Ndebele State in 1834

Rhodes fulfilling his dream of a Pan-African (Cape to Cairo) railway

The first Chimurenga war

The creation of the BSAP

and so on. :)

I'm not very good on African history, it would be nice if you work on these events and give brief (very short) descriptions and maybe links if you have, so we all get to learn some.. that would be great. ;)

Well, a good quick overview is actually from the Lonely Planet website. Yes, they're the travel book people. But they provide a nice quick look at the history of Rhodesia/Southern Rhodesia/Zimbabwe/Ndebele at the appropriate time period. Of course it's not my only resource, but it's what Google gave me and it's a fast read.

Click here

The Shona dynasties fractured into autonomous states, many of which later formed the Rozwi state, which encompassed over half of present-day Zimbabwe well into the 19th century. In 1834, Ndebele raiders invaded from the south, assassinated the Rozwi leader and established a Ndebele state with the capital at Bulawayo. Meanwhile, European gold seekers and ivory hunters from the Cape were moving into Shona and Ndebele territory.

The best known of these was Cecil John Rhodes who envisioned a corridor of British-style 'civilisation' stretching all the way from the Cape to Cairo. Sanctioned by Queen Victoria, white settlers swarmed in, led by the heavy-handed Rhodes. By 1895, the new country was being referred to as Rhodesia and a white legislature was set up. By 1911 there were some 24,000 settlers.

These are nice, i guess it's much better than finding a huge empty continent.

VIP - Mediterranean and East Africa

This is a thread for events regarding both Northern and Eastern Africa.

It should cover the Saharan areas, the areas bordering the Meditterranean (Morrocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt), as well as East Africa down to Zanzibar and Tanzania.

It's a start, anyways. I'm sure we can do some interesting events in regard to the west African slaving nations and the Dahomeni (?) Amazons. :) I'll start researching.

The continent, from a screenshot that I have seen, appears to be very empty. I've got a little map here in a book of mine, so I'll see if I can do some drawing in of borders on the map for where I think countries should be.

Would anyone like me to do this?

EDIT: Nevermind, the province layout is really messed up as compared to the borders that are shown in my book. It just wouldn't make sense.

Though I probably could make a few suggestions later on, if that would be allright.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Gen. Wolfe
The continent, from a screenshot that I have seen, appears to be very empty. I've got a little map here in a book of mine, so I'll see if I can do some drawing in of borders on the map for where I think countries should be.

Would anyone like me to do this?

It might be best not to have too many native nations in Africa, since they turn colonization into warfare. Only those that truly were states, like for instance Ethiopia, deserve having that status.

Originally posted by Grosshaus
It might be best not to have too many native nations in Africa, since they turn colonization into warfare. Only those that truly were states, like for instance Ethiopia, deserve having that status.

There was quite a bit of it. Quite often the Europeans would just make the existing states into protectorates and keep up the old apparatus.

Originally posted by Napoleon_VI
There was quite a bit of it. Quite often the Europeans would just make the existing states into protectorates and keep up the old apparatus.

Victoria colonization is supposed to represent those minor skirmishes common in real life colonization, although I'm not sure colonial revolts work at this point. There weren't that many larger campaigns in colonies to fight natives, like the scale of wars against Zulus or Brits in Sudan.

Originally posted by Grosshaus
Victoria colonization is supposed to represent those minor skirmishes common in real life colonization, although I'm not sure colonial revolts work at this point. There weren't that many larger campaigns in colonies to fight natives, like the scale of wars against Zulus or Brits in Sudan.

The Ashanti War involved fifty thousand British soldiers.

The Tukulor War involved twenty five thousand French soldiers.

The Dahomey War involved fifty thousand French soldiers.

I don't think a skirmish involves 25-50 thousand men.

See my post (rant :rofl: ) on sub-Saharan Africa in the Country Tags thread. Having taught world history at Ohio State for several years I have a good collection of reference books for most parts of the world and would be more than willing to help with sub-Saharan Africa (and other regions) once I get the game (less than 72 hours to go!) and get a grip on how the game mechanics work. I've done a good amount of event scripting for the Hearts Of Iron mod CORE so unless there are dramatic changes in event structure for Victoria I should be in a position to contribute soon.

The Ashanti War involved fifty thousand British soldiers.

The Tukulor War involved twenty five thousand French soldiers.

The Dahomey War involved fifty thousand French soldiers.

I don't think a skirmish involves 25-50 thousand men.

Truly? I've been proven wrong then. Can you give me a link to a good site about these, apparently there's some studying I must do.

Two more events, if they aren't already included:

1. Jameson Raid - an attempt by Cecil Rhodes to launch an Anglo coup against the Boer government in the Transvaal. It failed, causing serious political consequences for the British (who denied any involvement and paid 1,000,000 pounds to the Boers in retribution) and was a leading cause for the Anglo-Boer War.

2. If there will be an extended timeline for VIP, in 1923 Rhodesia voted against joining the Union of South Africa. It would be an interesting "what if".

Originally posted by C.N.
The Zulus needs to be demoted from Independent Nation to Uncivilized.

True, this is why it has been reported to Paradox. Propably will be fixed in 1.02, but those who feel like it can change in already in the country file, I guess.

Yeah, but we have only 20 user-defined tags, and very few "reusable" tags from Europe (unless you want to sacrifice Euro minors for Afro minors). African states can be handled with events until we're completely sure that they deserve a tag and that we won't run short.

Civilized Zululand needed for South Africa?

Having Zulu in the game as civilized may be needed in order to create the Union of South Africa...only civilized areas can be made dominions if I am understanding the process and it may be that if the Zulu territories are not civilized the creation of Union of South Africa (in 1910) would not be able to directly get those territories.