• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Brilliant strategist and same time mad? How's that even possible :). Maybe he has overnatural skills?

Chapter Seventeen: For Glory
June 24, 1076

"Ready yourselves, men," said Adalbert, "and remember, keep the duke safe! We can't let him fall into the Bohemians' hands!"

The sound of the Bohemian light cavalry approaching grew, until it seemed to be the only sound in the world. Adalbert yelled something to Emich, but it was consumed by the cavalry charge.

The Bohemians hit the hastily erected Austrian lines with the force of a wave. For a few seconds it seemed like the Austrians would hold, but the line started to slowly sag under the momentum of the Bohemian charge. Adalbert yelled again, perhaps to signal a retreat, but no one heard him. It was quickly becoming clear that the Austrians couldn't hold.

-----------------------

RebalEmperorReinforcementCharge.jpg

Chancellor Wilhelm and his reinforcements perhaps saved the budding Austrian state by assuring the von Babenberg dynasty didn't die in the fields of Pilsen.​

"Faster!" yelled Wilhelm von Rheinfelden, brother of the emperor and chancellor of the Holy Roman Empire, "I'm sure that I saw some Bohemian cavalry!"

The Imperial knights urged their horses to go faster. They were eager for their first taste of battle and the glory that it would bring them.

"Faster, damn you!" shouted Wilhelm.

-------------------------------

RebalBohEmperorEngages1.jpg

Wilhelm and his knights attack the Bohemians from their flank, relieving the duke's guards.​

Just when it seemed that all was lost, the Bohemian cavalry broke. Adalbert had never been more surprised in his life (well, perhaps when he had learned of Leopold's unnatural games). Somehow, he was still standing.

"Emich!" he called out, looking around wildly.

"I am fine, father," said the boy, a slight smile on his face. Blood dripped from his blade and his armor was stained a rusty red. Seeing his father's alarmed look, he said, "It's not mine. I stabbed some poor bastard in the face."

"I see you and your boy are still standing," said Leopold, trotting up to his marshal and nephew.

"And you too, sire," said Adalbert, hiding his annoyance; he had hoped that the Bohemians would've killed his brother, saving him some time.

"A good thing we got here when we did, eh?" boomed Wilhelm, riding up to the von Babenbergs. "You were nearly dead!"

"Hmm, yes," said Leopold, "I suppose I must thank you."

"It was nothing," said Wilhelm grandly, "really, it was a simple matter."

"Sir," said someone, tugging on Adalbert's sleeve, "the right?"

"Huh?" said Adalbert, before it dawned on him, "Oh damn! The right!" He surveyed his forces and grunted. "Right, all able bodied men -not you Emich!- come with me. Chancellor Wilhelm, will you and your men do me the honor and join us?"

"Yes indeed!" said Wilhelm, "Men, form up! Let's go!"

"You and you!" said Adalbert, pointing to Emich and Leopold, "you're staying here! You, you, and you," he said, pointing to three of his men, "guard them! If they try to leave, restrain them!"

As Adalbert and Wilhelm rode out to save the Austrian right, Leopold and Emich sulked.

Actually recieving info amidst a battle... quite strange.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. I was under the impression that commanders would regularly send messengers to their superiors to inform them of their situation.

Brilliant strategist and same time mad? How's that even possible :). Maybe he has overnatural skills?

Herakleios would beg to differ.

Nothing... I understood wrong.

Last edited:
Well, in pre-napleonic European warfare military intelligence amidst the battle was rare.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. The use of runners and cavalry messengers in battle was noted even in the Roman era, much less the early middle ages. (Although there are many instances where intelligence between the flanks was flawed, such as the first battle of Philippi, where Cassius believed that Brutus had been defeated as he had and committed suicide, when in fact Brutus had defeated Octavian's forces.)

Further, as in the battle the right flank is the only one that hadn't been relieved yet (at least in the actual MTW2 battle I fought, where that cavalry force countered the attack on the left and center), it would be a reasonable assumption that they would need some assistance against the superior Bohemian troops in the area.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. The use of runners and cavalry messengers in battle was noted even in the Roman era, much less the early middle ages. (Although there are many instances where intelligence between the flanks was flawed, such as the first battle of Philippi, where Cassius believed that Brutus had been defeated as he had and committed suicide, when in fact Brutus had defeated Octavian's forces.)

Further, as in the battle the right flank is the only one that hadn't been relieved yet (at least in the actual MTW2 battle I fought, where that cavalry force countered the attack on the left and center), it would be a reasonable assumption that they would need some assistance against the superior Bohemian troops in the area.

I think it probably has something to do with the lack of a professional army (as both Napoleon and Caesar had, but Duke Leopold does not) which would not only employ runners effectively but also respond to orders the general issued. In any case, the use of battlefield tactics in Mediaeval Europe is well-recorded, so intelligence can't have been impossible to come by, just a little difficult to receive and respond to quickly enough. Plus, I like your battle accounts a lot. :)

I think it probably has something to do with the lack of a professional army (as both Napoleon and Caesar had, but Duke Leopold does not) which would not only employ runners effectively but also respond to orders the general issued. In any case, the use of battlefield tactics in Mediaeval Europe is well-recorded, so intelligence can't have been impossible to come by, just a little difficult to receive and respond to quickly enough. Plus, I like your battle accounts a lot. :)

The battle accounts are actually written by Rebaltion, I just take pictures and provide advice/historical background to him.

Chapter Eighteen: Blood in the Streets
August 10, 1076

castle4_small.JPG

Praha, the capitol of Bohemia. In 1076, Duke Leopold II burned it to the ground.​

Adalbert urged his horse forward. Behind him, Praha burned. Foul, black smoke poured out of the Bohemian capitol. An arrow whizzed past his head and he heard his brother yelling at his men for missing.

The duke's dark laughter rang in his ears as yesterday's events replayed in his head.

----------
August 9, 1076

Wilhelm and Adalbert were inspecting the siege equipment together. Ever since Wilhelm had saved him at the Battle of Pilsen, the two men had become fast friends. Over the course of the war, the two had spent nearly all their time together planning, talking, or practicing sword play.

Now Adalbert was telling Wilhelm of his plans to usurp Leopold's throne. "My brother is a fool, unfit to be the duke of anything," said Adalbert bitterly.

"He sounds like an ass," said Wilhelm, "I'll make sure my brother supports you when the time comes."

"My thanks," said Adalbert.

The two men talked for a little longer, until Emich wandered over to his father. "Father, uncle would like to speak to you. Oh, and you, Wilhelm. He said it was urgent."

"Did he say what it was about?" asked Adalbert, "Or is he just being an ass?"

Emich's face was carefully blank. "I'm quite sure I don't understand what you mean."

Adalbert looked at his son, before nodding. "I'm sure you don't. Lead the way, my boy."

-------------------

As Emich, Adalbert, and Wilhelm walked towards the duke's tent, a man opened its flap and brushed past them. Once they were all in the tent, Adalbert pointed at the receding figure of the man and said, "One of your special friends?"

Wilhelm snickered quietly and Leopold's face turned bright red. "Make your jokes, if you will," said the duke, "but I have called you here to tell you some wonderful news: my spies have been able to infiltrate the city and assure me that if we storm the city now, we can easily take it."

"Your spies?" asked Adalbert, raising an eyebrow. "Why didn't we know about these sooner?"

Leopold shrugged. "It never seemed important to me. We attack at night fall."

"Excuse me?" asked Wilhelm, "When was this decided?"

"When I received the news from my spies," said Leopold, "Now, go ready the men. That is all."

Adalbert and Wilhelm stormed out of the tent, Leopold's gaze turned to his nephew. "You are sure about your information?"

Emich shrugged. "All information has some falsities, uncle, but I assure you that what I have told you is mostly true."

"Good," said Leopold, "very good indeed." He stared at his tent's roof, "Soon, I'll finally be rid of my brother." His gaze swung back Emich. "And its all thanks to you, my boy. I have never been prouder."

Emich shrugged again. He wasn't doing this for his uncle's approval. He was doing it for his grandfather's.

-----------
August 10, 1076

It was well past mid-night and Adalbert was dead tired. The assault of Praha had gone off with out a hitch, and the Imperial armies were standing inside the Bohemian capitol. Now the men were arguing over what to do with their prize.

"I promised Vratislav I would burn Praha to the ground!" shouted Leopold.

"We are not barbarians!" shouted Adalbert back, "Besides, what would be the point?"

"The point is that we are the victors," said Leopold.

"I must agree with uncle," said Emich quietly, "Burning Praha would show that the Emperor means business and that the Empire is strong."

Adalbert stared at his son as if he was a completely different person. "So, you'd rather side with your bastard of an uncle than with your own father?"

"Enough!" bellowed Wilhelm, "As the chancellor and brother of the Emperor, I declare that we shall leave Praha intact!"

Leopold looked ready to say something, but Emich beat him to it. "No," said the boy, "I think we will burn it to the ground."

"Who are you-" started Wilhelm.

Quick as a snake, Emich pulled out his sword and stabbed him in the stomach, then in the chest. Adalbert stared at his son. "How...why?"

Emich was busy wiping his sword off on his pants' leg. "He was in the way," he said. His gaze swung to meet his father's stare. "I have convinced uncle to let you have a five minute head start. Consider it an act of love."

"You...you..demon spawn!" shouted Adalbert, "How I ever called you son. I'll never know!"

"I will not have you talking to my heir and new marshal like that," said Leopold merrily.

"Your...heir and new marshal?" stuttered Adalbert, "But he's barely thirteen!"

"I think you will find that as the Duke of Austria, I can appoint whom I want," Leopold said coldly.

"You have four minutes of your head start left," said Emich into his father's stunned silence.

Casting one last look at his son and brother, Adalbert ran from the tent. Emich turned to his uncle, who was twitching with energy. "Patience, uncle. Soon you'll have what you want."

Leopold smiled and said, "Sometimes, Emich you seem wiser than your years suggest."

Emich smiled. "I've had a lot of help." In his head, Ernst laughed happily.

Wicked family there :).

This gets better and better! Great twist to the story. I'm happy that the two best characters are left alive!

Chapter Nineteen: Things Fall Apart
September 22, 1076

AdalbertFlees.png

The route taken by Adalbert and ex-Duchess Emma. The burgundy arrow shows Adalbert's flight from Praha to Vienna. The purple arrow shows the flight of Adalbert and Emma to Trent.​

The air outside of Vienna's walls was still and warm. A man dressed in coarse peasant clothes led a saw-backed nag to the city's gate. "Hello?" called the man.

"Is that you Adalbert?" hissed someone.

"Franz?" whispered Adalbert.

"It is you!" said Franz, opening the gate. "Hurry! If I'm seen doing this I'll be next!"

"What do you mean?" asked Adalbert, entering the city.

"A man arrived a few days before you, saying the duke sent him to root out those disloyal to the crown," said Franz, gulping. "He's sent your uncle Leopold to the dungeons for torture. It's only a matter of time before he breaks and talks. We need to get the duchess and your uncle and get out of here!"

-----------

"But sir," said the dungeon guard, "I've been instructed by the duke's representative to let no one in."

"Look, Reinhard," said Franz, smiling, "I think that now would be a good time to take a break, don't you?"

Reinhard looked around nervously, before nodding. "Right you are, sir. A break. I can trust you not to do anything illegal?"

Franz chuckled and nodded. "Sure," he said, patting Reinhard on the back.

Once Reinhard was gone, Franz signaled for Adalbert to follow him into the dungeon. "The duchess is over there" said Franz, pointing to a door to Adalbert's right. "I'll go get your uncle." He tossed Adalbert a key.

As Franz hurried off to free Leopold, Adalbert opened up Emma's cell.

"Come to torture me some more?" moaned Emma, before spitting at Adalbert's feet.

"No," he said, "I've come to free you, but we've got to hurry. I think your husband is knows about what we've been planning."

Adalbert quickly unlocked the duchess' chains and the two hurried out of the cell.

"It's good to see you, Emma," said Franz, turning a corner. He had Leopold slung over his shoulders. The ex-marshal was bleeding profusely and was missing several teeth and an eye. He seemed to be unconscious.

"You uncle's in terrible condition," Franz said, seeing Adalbert's stunned look, "I know a doctor in Sankt Pölten who can-" Franz gasped and grabbed his throat, blood pouring out of his mouth, an arrow protruding from his throat. Another arrow whizzed past Franz's head, striking Leopold in his head.

"Stop them!" shouted someone. More arrows flew through the air, thudding into the wall around Adalbert and Emma.

"We've got to go!" shouted Adalbert, tugging on Emma's arm. The two ran out of the dungeon and into the open air. Behind them there was the thud of people running. Adalbert looked around widely. There had to be some way out of this. He tugged Emma into an alleyway. "Quite," he whispered.

A few minutes later the men ran past them. They waited a few more minutes, then Adalbert and Emma exited the alley. "We've got to go," said Adalbert.

"Where?" asked Emma desperately.

He thought for a moment, before reaching a decision. "Trent."

Teenage-murderer!:eek:

Well, Emich is crazy, so its okay.

Wicked family there :).

Sometimes you have to be mean to get what you want.

Goodness! I doubt the Emperor will take kindly to that.

Well, the Emperor is just a weak-willed boy. I'm sure Leopold and Emich can convince him that they didn't do it.

This gets better and better! Great twist to the story. I'm happy that the two best characters are left alive!

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I enjoyed writing it.

I have to agree with AllmyJames; this AAR just gets better and better!

Leopold and Emich seems to be always one step ahead the conspirators.

Chapter Twenty: The Devil You Know
December 12, 1076

The two sides stared at each other in mutual distrust. On one side there was Bratislav, the son of the late Vratislav and who styled himself King of Bohemia, along with his advisers. The other side consisted of Duke Leopold, Emich, and the Emperor.

When word had reached the young emperor that his brother had been assassinated by his trusted confidant, Adalbert von Babenberg, he had rushed to Praha to make sure the information was true. Wilhelm's body had been sent back to Mainz for a proper burial and, under Leopold and Emich's advice, Emperor Berthold I had sent a messenger to Bratislav with an offer to start peace talks. Bratislav had agreed.

"So," said Bratislav, "what are your demands?"

"Um," stuttered Berthold. Leopold leaned closer to him and whispered in his ear. "Ah, yes. The County of Cheb will be seceded to the Duchy of Austria and Bohemia will pay a tribute of five hundred ducats over a period of five years. In return, the Holy Roman Empire will recognize the Kingdom of Bohemia and promise not to make war with her. These are our terms."

Bretislav and his advisers huddled together and began talking in rapid Bohemian. After a few minutes, Bratislav turned back to the Germans and said, "We agree to all your demands, excluding one: we cannot, in good conscious, hand over the County of Cheb. Instead we propose to give the Empire a tribute of one thousand ducats."

"No!" shouted Leopold, leaning in close to the Bohemian king, "That part of the treaty is non-negotiable!"

"Ah," Bratislav said, "the Řezník . You are the one who burned Prague to the ground and slaughtered my people. And you did all this for a pitiful county?"

"I did it for my sovereign," hissed Leopold, murder in his eyes.

"Uncle..." said Emich.

Leopold composed himself. "As I said, that part of the treaty is non-negotiable."

"Yes," squeaked Berthold, "non-negotiable."

Leopold smiled. "The Emperor has spoken."

Bratislav rolled his eyes. "Very well we accept your demands."

Leopold's smile grew and his eyes shone. This emperor may be the perfect fit, he thought happily.

mapofaustria.png

The HRE after the First Bohemian War, with Austria and her new lands highlighted.​