• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter Eight: Only the Dead
February 23, 1074

"Damn, damn, damn!" shouted Ernst as he tumbled off his horse. So this what how it was going to end, he thought, Not with a bang-. His head smashed into the ground, jarring his thoughts. His vision dimmed and he tasted blood. "Damn," he said, before blacking out.

-------

"Uh..." moaned Ernst, slowly opening his eyes.

"He's finally awake," said Leopold, rushing over to the duke's side.

Ernst sat up and looked around. "We must've lost pretty bad if you were captured as well," said Ernst.

"But sire," said Leopold, "we won!"

It wasn't often the duke was shocked, but he was now. "We are talking about the same battle, aren't we?"

"Aye," said the marshal.

"Then what the hell happened?" asked the duke.

-----------

"They're getting slaughtered," said Leopold, watching the Austrian knights desperately fighting their Bavarian counterparts. "Sound the retreat while we still have some knights," he said.

"Aye, sire," said the bugler, sounding the retreat.

Leopold continued to watch as the knights attempted to disengage. "The hell?" the marshal muttered, seeing what looked like the duke crashing into the Bavarian knights' flanks. "Can't be," he said, shaking his head. But something compelled him to watch. He watched as the duke viciously attacked the Bavarians, then as the duke fell of his horse and hit the ground. "You and your men!" yelled Leopold pointing at some nearby spearmen, "Follow me! We have to save the duke!" With that, Leopold galloped off towards where the duke had fallen.

Rebalpicssaveernst.jpg

Marshal Leopold's valiant attack to save Duke Ernst.​

"Forward, forward!" urged Leopold, his horse rearing up, "We cannot let them get the duke!"

The spearmen continued to push the Bavarians. The knights, exhausted from hours of fighting, finally broke. The Austrians cheered, as the foe that had resisted them all morning finally fled from the field.

"The duke!" shouted Leopold, trying to be heard over the cheers, "You and you," said Leopold, pointing to two men, "get the duke back to safety!"

As the two men brought Ernst back to his tent to be looked over by a doctor, a spearmen came up to Leopold. "Sir," he said, pointing to the horizon, "the Bavarians are sending mounted knights!"

"Right! Men, get ready," said Leopold, pointing to the charging knights, "The Bavarians are coming to test our courage and strength once again! Shall we let them pass?"

Shouts of "No!" and "Not a chance in Hell!" answered Leopold.

RebalpicsHREcharge.jpg

Austrian spearmen again prove their worth against Bavarian knights.​

Only when the last of the knights was dead or had retreated, did Leopold allow himself to grin. "We've done it boys!" he said, exulted, smiling wearily. That's when the runner finally reached him.

"Sir, the left reports that they are ready to rout if they don't receive support from right soon."

"Damn!" yelled Leopold, his smile now gone. The left was mostly composed of conscripted peasants who had little or no training and even less discipline. If the Bavarians kept pressure on them, they would surely break. Perhaps too late, Leopold saw what Gebhard was up to. Leopold had been so concerned with the right he'd left the left with nearly no experienced troops. But maybe, if God favored Austria, they could still win this battle.

"My men!" yelled Leopold, getting their attention, "I must ask you to join me in the breach once more! But let none say I do not take my share of the load! I will be the first one into the fight and the last one out!"

The men cheered, heartened by Leopold's confidence. "Now, my brothers-in-arms, we must make haste to the left before it completely collapses!"

RebalpicsHREpeasants.jpg

The Austrian left. Note the Bavarian knights guarding the Bavarian infantry from an attack in their flank.​

Leopold crashed hard into the Bavarian flank, slashing wildly at the Bavarian knights, hoping the Austrian spearmen would soon arrive. The whole battle hinged on whether the Austrians could break the knights protecting the Bavarian left, allowing them to attack the weak, unarmored peasants.

Leopold turned his head slightly and caught sight of the Austrian spearmen running to reach the marshal. Leopold waved his sword, urging them forward, hitting a knight in the head in the process.

Rebalpicscenterrout.jpg

The Austrian spearmen once again rout a regiment of Bavarian knights, allowing them to save the Austrian left.​

---------

"So," said Ernst slowly, still wrapping his mind around the idea, "we won?"

"Yes, sire, we did!" said Leopold, smiling happily.

"Oh," said Ernst faintly, "well, how's about that?"

Raining water in February? :rolleyes:

I've seen stranger weather. Two years ago it was 64 degrees Fahrenheit in the middle of January for a whole week in the middle of Ohio.

Good use of Medieval Total War II. Ernst might be in a bit of trouble, though it was common in this time frame to not kill knights and nobles, as they could be ransomed back for a great deal of $$$.

I actually don't own Medieval Total War II, I've got a friend taking screen shots for my AAR. If he's reading, I'd like to say thanks.

I've just discovered this and it looks great! I very much like the use of MTW2 pictures and the narrative. I'll be following.

Chapter Nine: Woe to the Vanquished
May 18, 1074

Ernst smile was anything but kind. The smile was directed at none other than Count Gebhard, whom was sulking in the corner of the duke's tent. Just a few hours ago, an Austrian sentry had seen the count and his armed guards fleeing through the woods. He'd immediately mounted his horse and galloped back to the Austrian camp with his news. Ernst, and his newly refitted guard, had taken off after the count, hoping to still seize him before he made it to friendly territory. After a brief skirmish, the count and his remaining guards had been captured.

HREEmperor.jpg

The duke's new guard, made up of the spearmen who had proven themselves time and time again against the Bavarians.​

"If I recall correctly," said Ernst, still grinning evilly, "didn't you once tell me that God would protect His own?"

Gebhard's face reddened. He mumbled something about not remembering anything of the sort.

"Ah," said the duke, "I can see that in your old age you have trouble remembering certain facts. But neve rmind, we can argue over who's memory is the clearest later." Ernst sat back, and said, "What I really want to know is this: who were you fleeing to and where were you planning to meet them?"

"No one," said Gebhard, rather too quickly for Ernst's taste.

Ernst surged to his feet, knocking over his chair. "Don't lie to me!" he shouted, "Sir, you forget that you are in my power! Now, answer me, damn you!"

"Never," whispered the count viciously.

"Take him away," said the duke to his guards, before turning to Gebhard, "I'm sure you'll change your mind after a few hours with Franz and Wilhelm. Get him out of my sight."

-------------

Gebhard broke a few days later. He told Ernst that his liege had bought him some battle hardened mercenaries from the wars in Iberia to reinforce his own decimated numbers. A day later, Ernst sent out a scouting party to invite the mercenaries' leader to parley with him. The man wore a mix of Berber and Castillian clothes and cared a rusted and blood stained sword. Ernst was also surprised to find the man had lost an eye.

"Hello," said the man in broken German, "I am Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar, but to my friends and enemies alike I am called El Cid."

Despite himself, Ernst found himself wonder how a Castillian had ended up in the middle of the Holy Roman Empire. Unable to resist, Ernst asked.

"Ah," said Rodrigo, his smile showing several broken or missing teeth, "an interesting story indeed. I use to be in the employ of the King of Castile, Sancho II. A great man with great dreams and ideas. Had he been born anywhere else in the world, he would've been destined for greatness. But, being so close to the heathen cause him great stress and sent him into deep depression the likes of which nothing could stop. In the end it caused him to take his life.

From there I entered the employ of Alfonso IV, the King of León, who was not as great as his dear brother. His head was filled with images of honor and glory. So sure was he of himself that he styled himself 'Emperor of all Spain,' and set out to make it so. For a while he had great success against the heathen, but his head became swelled with the shameful of man's sins: pride. So sure of himself, Alfonso attacked the Emir of Seville. But God had abandoned the king, and allowed the heathen to strike him down, completely destroying León in the process.

I escaped with my life and the clothes on my back. I rounded up a few of my men and together we made our way to France. Briefly we found employ with the king of France and his wars against the rebellious duke of Flanders. From there we traveled to Saxony, then Swabia. Now me and my men find ourselves here, in Bavaria, working for the duke."

Iberiacirca1074.png

By 1074 the Christian kingdoms in Iberia had disappeared after the defeat of León. The Emir of Seville looks ready to unite the region under his rule. Other major players are Badjoz (1), Toledo (2), Cordoba (3), Mallorca (4), and Valencia-Zaragoza (5).​

Ernst stood and bowed. "You are more of a man that I, sir. I would be honored if you would take up arms with me and my men."

Rodrigo smiled and said, "I am flattered, mi'lord, and I would be delighted to join you, that is, of course, the price is right."

Ernst laughed loudly. "At least you are an honest man. How much to make you my man?"

"Hmm," mused El Cid, "One thousand ducats."

Ernst whistled. "A high price."

El Cid grinned. "Me and my men are worth it. We did not make it all the way to Bavaria by being stupid."

The duke thought for a moment, before reaching a decision. "Fine, you have a deal. Consider you and your men in my employ for the time being."

"Excellent," said Rodrigo, his eyes shinning. "I sense that you are a man who enjoys adventure almost as much as I do."

Last edited:
Chapter Ten: The Winds of War
April 15, 1075

AustriaOccupied.png

By 1075, Austria had occupied most of Bavaria. Areas colored red are controlled by Austria, while areas colored blue are controlled by Bavaria.​

It had been a year since Austria had sided with the Emperor, reflected Ernst, and it had been a good year. After the victory at Salzburg, the Austrian army had met little resistance from the Bavarians, who'd been so sure of themselves, they'd marched off with all their armies, leaving only the peasants and local garrisons to defend their land.

The Austrians had run into one of those garrisons outside of Bavaria's capitol, Kempten. Ernst was watching the garrison now, deploying it's lines. It was pathetic, it really was. The Bavarians had to know they had no chance at stopping the Austrians.

While Ernst was deep in thought over the stupidity of other people, a messanger came up to him. After getting the duke's attention, the man said, "The Bavarian's commander has come with a few of his men under the flag of truce to discuss the terms of their surrender."

"Excellent!" said Ernst, clapping his hands, "At least this man seems to have some sense. Show them to my tent."

The sad looking Bavarian commander was named Reinhard. "Leave us," said Ernst to his guards, once the man and his aide had entered his tent, before turning to Reinhard. "I am told that you wish to discuss the terms of your surrender?"

Reinhard and his aide exchanged looks. The aide nodded slightly, pulling a knife out of nowhere. "Oh-" said Ernst.

The duke's guards rushed into his tent, only to find Reinhard knocked out cold and Ernst strangling his would be assassin and shouting, "I'll teach you Bavarian bastards to try and break a truce!" After the guards had pulled the duke off the assassin, one of them said, "Sire, you've been stabbed!" Indeed, Ernst had been stabbed in the gut and was bleeding profusely.

"Forget it for now," said Ernst, still enraged, "I want you to string up both of those bastards, then destroy the Bavarian army. We need to-" Finally, the duke's injuries got the better of him and he fainted.

----------
June 22, 1075

"Sire," said Leopold, opening the flap to enter Ernst's tent, "I have wonderful news! The hold outs in Kempten have finally surrendered!"

Ernst coughed wetly. "Excellent, Leopold. Help me out of this bed so I can congratulate my men."

"Sire, the doctors say-"

"Damn the doctors and damn their orders!" shouted Ernst, which started a coughing fit. After it had died down, Ernst continued, "I am the Duke of Austria! Now do as I say and help me out of this bed!"

Leopold helped Ernst out of his bed, taking most of the duke's weight. "Now, take me to my men."

The Austrians cheered when they saw Ernst. "Three cheers for Ernst the Bavarian-Slayer!" yelled someone.

"Thank you, my loyal men," said Ernst once they had finished cheering, "When history writes of Austria's exploits, let it never forget of the men who made it possible!"

More cheers erupted from the Austrian soldiers. Ernst smiled and waved. "Thank you, thank you-" started the duke, before bursting into a coughing fit. Blood started to dribble out of his mouth with each cough. "Leopold," he whispered to his marshal, "I don't-" The duke's shoulders slumped and Leopold scrambled to hold up the additional weight.

Assassination-Of-St--Peter-Martyr--Ca-1300-Christie-s-Images-211060.jpg

An illuminated image of the attempted assassination of Ernst the Bavarian-Slayer.​

I have the day off from school thanks to bad weather, and I'm not going to be able to post an update on Saturday, as I'll be out of town, so I plan to post two or three updates today. Enjoy.
----------------------------------------------------

Chapter Eleven: This is the End: Part One
July 17, 1075

"...and, in further news, there is a letter for your eyes only," finished Sigmund von Babenberg, handing the bed ridden Ernst the letter.

"Hmm," said Ernst, "it's sealed with the Imperial seal. Open it and read it to me, if you would be so kind."

"Yes, sire," said Sigmund, taking the letter back and opening it with a knife.

"To his most glorious and esteemed duke, Ernst von Babenberg: Greetings. The armies of the Grand Alliance have found and executed Heinrich the Heretic. With his death, elective law has once again been instituted and all dukes are ordered to Mainz to cast their votes for the new Emperor of all the Romans."

Ernst chuckled, which quickly turned into a violent coughing spell. "So, they finally ousted old Heinrich, eh? Very well, Sigmund, prepare for my departure. I must get to Mainz to cast my vote."

"Sire, you are not well-"

"The Empire must come before me. As I lay on my death bed, I see that there are things that are greater than me or Austria. I must go to Mainz and cast my vote."

-------------------
September 1, 1075

imperial-palace_10833.jpg

The Imperial palace in Mainz where the electors met in 1075 to elect a new emperor.​

"The city looks terrible," said Ernst, staring at the remains of the once grand Imperial captial.

"It changed hands as many as twenty times, sire," said Leopold, "I hear that most of it was razed to the ground at least twice."

"A shame," said the duke, shaking his head, "but, I digress. We must hurry to the Imperial palace."

After Leopold had helped Ernst off his horse and into the palace, Ernst said, "You're free to do as you please while we're here. Please, go and enjoy yourself at Austria's expense." Ernst smiled slightly, "God knows you've earned it."

"I can leave-" started Leopold.

"Go," said Ernst, attempting to be stern, "that's an order."

-------------------------------------------

"Ernst," said Vratislav, "it is good to see you again!" The Bohemian duke rushed over to Ernst, eager to see his friend again. Finally he noticed Ernst's pale, waxy complexion. "My friend, you do not look so good! Are you sure that you are well enough to be here?"

Ernst's chuckle was closer to a death rattle. "I'm fine, I assure you. Never felt better in my life. I just had a bit of a run in with an assassin."

"An assassin!" exclaimed the duke of Bohemia, "How? Why?"

"Never mind that, my friend," said Ernst, waving off Vratislav's questions, "I need you to tell me who has the most support to become the next emperor. I've been a little out of the loop since I got my injuries."

"Well," said Vratislav, "The duke of Saxony is one of the top contenders. Magnus Billung, I believe his name was. He's a bit forceful and his personality is abrasive, but if wasn't for for his troops, we wouldn't be standing here right now.

The other contender is the son of the late duke of Swabia, Berthold von Rheinfelden. He's only got any backing because his father took control of the rebel armies after the Toscanna fell to the emperor and because he is a mere child, whom many of the electors hope they control."

"Whom are you throwing your support behind?" asked Ernst.

Vratislav looked surprised Ernst even had to ask. "Berthold, of course. The Empire doesn't need another pigheaded ruler like Heinrich the Heretic, and by all signs Billung looks like another Heinrich in the making."

"Your words carry much truth," said the duke, "but did you ever consider that having a weak emperor could undermine the Empire?"

The two friends argued the various merits of having a strong versus a weak emperor for a while, before Vratislav saw someone else he knew and excused himself from Ernst's presence.

-----------------
September 28, 1075

Frederick_II_and_eagle.jpg

A painting of the child emperor, Berthold I.​

It had taken nearly a month, but a new Emperor had been elected. To Ernst's disappointment, it hadn't been the, in his opinion, far superior Magnus Billung, but the child Berthold. After every elector had sworn loyalty to Berthold, the child had been crowned Emperor Berthold I by Pope Gregory VII.

There had been some whispers by Billung's supporters that Berthold's supporters had bribed several of the electors to get them to vote for their choice. There was no proof, but that didn't stop the rumors.

Ernst's attention snapped back to reality as Emperor Berthold I sat down on the throne. As one the electors said, "Long live Emperor Berthold I!"

@Enewald: That's just a picture of a palace from Google. It's a modern day picture.
------------------------------

Chapter Eleven: This is the End: Part Two
December 25, 1075

Ernst lay in his bed, surrounded by his family. His face was ashen and his gaze blank. The trip back from Mainz has left the duke in even poorer health and it was expected that this was his last Christmas. Knowing this, every Babenberg in Austria had gathered in Vienna to be with the duke while he lay dying.

"Papa," said Thietmar, marshal Leopold's only son, "will uncle get better?"

"We hope so, son," said Leopold, "but its all in God's hands now."

The door to the duke's room creaked open. Ernst's gaze swung to it. "Adalbert, my son..." he said weakly.

"Father," said Adalbert, leaning down near his father's bed, "how are you?"

"Dying," said Ernst shortly, "but before I'm dead and buried, I need you to do me one last thing."

"Anything," said Adalbert, on the verge of tears.

"Find your bastard of a brother and tell him to get his ass back to Vienna."

-------------------

Later that day, after everyone had left Ernst's room, there was a quiet knock on the door.

"Come in," said Ernst, pulling himself up into sitting position.

"Hello grandpa," said Emich, Ernst's only grandson.

"How are you, little one?" asked Ernst, "Come, sit on my lap. I have something I want to tell you."

Emich obeyed and walked over to his grandfather.

"God has sent me a dream," started Ernst, "a dream of a time when the von Babenbergs will wear the imperial diadem and sit on the imperial throne." The duke started to cough. "You," he said, pointing to Emich, "God has told me that you will be the one to bring ever lasting glory to our name."

"Me?" squeaked Emich, "What about uncle Leopold?"

"Your uncle will bring no glory to our family. If he sits on the imperial throne, he will destroy the Empire. You must not let him have it. You must be the one... you..." Ernst started coughing, much more violently than last time. "You... glory..." A mix of phlegm and blood splattered Emich, who leaned back, revolted. "Don't... don't fail me..." rasped Ernst, slumping to the side and falling off his bed. Blood started to pool around the dead duke. Emich back peddled off the bed and started to whimper quietly, his eyes wide in terror.

----------------

Some hours later, when a servant went to check on the duke, Emich and the dead duke were found. Emich kept muttering something about glory and not failing, all which was put down as a side effect of seeing his grandfather die.

ErnstisDead.png

Ernst von Babenberg the Bavarian-Slayer, Duke of Austria and patriarch of the von Babenberg dynasty.​

Who inherited?
Emich?

Leopold inherited.

Did you adjust Germany to Elective Law?

Yes. From now on Germany will always be elective law. It's one of the rules I made for myself to give the AI a chance.

Some other rules I made up as I went along: If I have an under age heir, he can't be elected as emperor (this excludes the AI) and the AI will always have an heir (when the AI becomes emperor, I give their first son their duke titles). There are probably some others I'm forgetting, but those are the basic rules I'm playing by.

Chapter Twelve: What Fools
February 4, 1076

The, for lack of better word, throne room was deadly silent. The counts and barons of Austria had gathered in Vienna to watch as Leopold von Babenberg, son of Ernst and heir to the Austrian throne, was crowned Duke of Austria.

After Ernst's death, the whole of Austria had been thrown into confusion. Leopold had to be found and crowned, but no one had any idea where he was. Until he could be found, Adalbert was crowned duke of Austria pro tempore, and men had been sent out to find Leopold. Finally, after much searching, they had found him in Upper Lorraine, a lowly courtier.

When Leopold had first arrived in Vienna, no longer in self-imposed exile, there had been parties every night, celebrating the long awaited return of Ernst's heir apparent. It was immediately clear to the Austrian nobility that Leopold's time in Upper Lorraine hadn't changed him, as he drunk himself into a stupor several times.

All in good time, Leopold thought, watching the assembled nobility.

Finally, Leopold reached the throne and sat down. A crown of simple iron was placed on his head. "Long live Leopold II, duke of Austria" chanted the nobility, before lining up to swear fealty to the new duke.

Leopold smiled. He'd done it. He'd out lasted that old bastard and gotten the throne of Austria. No longer did he have to listen to anyone, finally he was at the top. Leopold smiled. It wasn't a particularly nice smile, and, had it been directed at someone in the room, they would almost assuredly be dead by morning.

----------------
February 10, 1076

Adolf was drinking himself silly again, but he didn't care; it was what he did everyday. Adolf liked the usual, the mundane. Change on the other hand was a completely different subject. What had change brought him? Nothing but age and body weight. Bah!

The door to the Good Knight swung open. The old knight turned an eye to see who the newcomer was. "Ah, Leopold," slurred Adolf, "How are you, my friend? Duke of Austria, I hear. Jolly good! Care for some wine?"

Leopold chuckled. "Still in the same spot, you tub of lard?"

"Why, why, why, why are you being so nasty, yer Majesty?" said Adolf, standing up unsteadily. "Aren't you and I friends anymore?"

A look of disgust crossed Leopold's face. "We were never friends, you fat old bastard." He turned around, and said, "Guards, this is the man you've been looking for. I assure you he is the head of the smuggler's ring that's been plaguing our fair land."

The guards moved forward and grabbed Adolf. "What are you doin'?!" shouted Adolf, weakly struggling to free himself.

"Getting rid of the past," said Leopold, "and making way for the future."

I really like the style of this AAR, which mixes in a good amount of comedy, gameplay, and roleplaying. Unfortunately, after your update blitz today I'll be suffering withdrawal until you get get back. Leopold looks likes he means buisness!

I'm the person who's taking the MTW2 screenshots for Rebaltion, so if you have any requests or advice on them send it my way. The next set of them will hopefully be of better quality when I remember to turn minimal UI off (the positioning of minimal UI makes it really awkward to get a screenshot without getting the minimap in it.)

Some other rules I made up as I went along: If I have an under age heir, he can't be elected as emperor (this excludes the AI) and the AI will always have an heir (when the AI becomes emperor, I give their first son their duke titles). There are probably some others I'm forgetting, but those are the basic rules I'm playing by.
That makes sense. I like that.

Good update.