• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nothing like a good siege to make things interesting. Good to see those Paint skills being put to more use. ;)

Not much of a siege, I'm afraid. I do admit my picture looks simple but that's the best I can do (and I think it's effective enough) :).

Mongolian-Chagatai War of 1296

Battle of Almaty (Part 3)

YR2N1tC.png

Double Envelopment

At the western and southern gates, Ilkhanate horsemen and Song infantry were fighting it out. Because they were engaged into a narrow choke point, the Song infantry eliminated the enemy's number advantage and were holding the enemy at bay. These soldiers were used to formation attack and, armed with qiang and ji that had a range advantage over their enemy's weapons, they could stay at a somewhat safe position as they jabbed or dismounted enemy horsemen. Song skirmishers on the gates were firing down upon Ilkhanate horsemen that pulled their bows out. Faced against enemy skirmish fire, the horsemen were forced to respond which didn't help those engaged with the enemy in the gatehouse. To make matters worse, the gatehouse battlements offered some protection for the Song skirmishers while their mounted counterparts were in the open, though they were moving around to make themselves more difficult to hit. The skirmish fight was slowly shifting in the advantage of the Song forces despite them being vastly outnumbered with Mongolian horsemen supporting them. Luckily for the Song infantry, their enemy didn't have any siege weapons or ladders with them or the battle would be a lot more difficult. With the Song skirmishers winning only slightly and Song infantry holding their ground, the battles at the western and southern gates were entering a stalemate seeing neither sides really gaining a huge edge. Badai has hoped his horsemen could pierce into the enemy defenses quickly to create disruption but it was becoming clear that his plan for a swift victory wasn't going to happen.

Meanwhile, the Song infantry at the northern and eastern gates ventured out of the protection of the city into the open. The Ilkhanate officers leading the horsemen there scoffed at the enemy's incompetence and ordered a charge. The Ilkhanate horsemen were eager for battle and, faced with a seemingly vulnerable enemy in the open, they charged forward as adrenaline filled their systems. The Song officers saw the enemy charge and ordered their soldiers to brace. The Song infantry just managed to get braced for the charge seeing them suffer some losses with their heavy armor also helping in minimizing the charge impact. As soon as the initial charge was over, the Song infantry pulled out their qiang and ji as they engaged the enemy in close combat. The Ilkhanate horsemen were effectively held in place which was the objective of the Song forces. The two Mongolian groups in the back waited until the Ilkhanate forces were engaged before riding out of the city as well. Both groups would complete a double envelopment seeing them striking at the flanks of the Ilkhanate horsemen. The Ilkhanate officers and their horsemen were too preoccupied with the battle before them to notice what has transpired. With their flanks exposed to the enemy, the Ilkhanate horsemen suffered several devastating charges by Mongolian horsemen before volleys of skirmish fire rained down upon them from Mongolian horsemen riding in the distance. These Ilkhanate forces would break under pressure and their rout would be a pivotal point for the Mongolian and Song armies who would gain a massive numbers advantage.

AWABUiI.png

The Breakthrough

The collapse of half the army was a great blow to the Ilkhanate army which suddenly placed it at a massive disadvantage. However, most of the Ilkhanate horsemen didn't know this development and thus their morale still held. Badai was watching the battle before him at the western gate when he noticed small dust clouds in the northeast direction. Initially, he assumed that a small detachment was sent to him to notify him of the development in the north. However, he would realize moments later that the incoming horsemen were wearing Mongolian armor (by that, I meant the different color of the cloths since their armor were very similar at the time). The fact that Ogodei was at the head of the incoming horsemen suggested that the Ilkhanate force in the north must have been defeated. Badai could have withdrew from the battle but he had his honor to keep intact and running from battle before it occurred would do otherwise. Thus, he rallied his horsemen outside the city to ride with him towards Ogodei. With Ogodei leading his men, Badai knew he had a chance to fight it out with the Mongolian Khan and maybe turn the entire battle around. Ogodei, seeing Badai riding towards him, also felt excited by the upcoming battle and pushed his horse harder hoping to engage in battle sooner. The Mongolian horsemen, also eager for an actual fight, pushed their horses so they kept up with their Khan. The two sides would clash and a fierce battle would ensue.

The Song force that helped in the north was following in the back but they were being left in the dust by the Mongolian horsemen, not that they minded. With the Ilkhanate force held in place, they could help reinforce their allies instead of running around like headless chickens. The Ilkhanate officer at the south, unlike his Khan, wasn't paying attention to the northeast direction so he failed to notice in incoming Mongolian force. The Mongolian horsemen riding to the south would pull out their bows and fire as one at the Ilkhanate force waiting outside the city. The first volley of arrows rained down and killed many including the top officer. The sudden attack and the loss of the officer sent the entire Ilkhanate force into disarray. The Mongolian horsemen got off another volley before they pulled out their maces for a massive charge. The Ilkhanate force was unable to prepare for the incoming enemy horsemen resulting in the charge to be even more devastating. The sudden disruption in the rear would create chaos for those fighting in the gates. The Song force at the eastern gate have reinforced the southern gate and, together, they pushed the enemy out to the open where the Mongolians finished them off. The Ilkhanate force in the south completely routed leaving only Badai and his horsemen in the west. The Mongolian horsemen that helped the southern gate would continue riding in the northwest direction as they looked to end the battle by delivering a charge in the enemy's rear.

Outcome

Badai fought it out with Ogodei but, as a skilled general, he kept his eyes out on the battlefield despite fighting for his life with the Mongolian Khan. He caught sight of the incoming Song force in the north and Mongolian horsemen in the south. Knowing that a prolonged battle with Ogodei would be a terrible mistake since his remaining army would be completely encircled, he made a feint allowing him to disengage from Ogodei before leading his horsemen to the west where they would flee. The Ilkhanate force suffered some losses by disengaging but they avoided a complete encirclement which guaranteed the survivors to leave the battlefield alive. The Ilkhanate army has suffered massive losses which would take a long time to replenish. Badai never thought he would suffer such a great defeat but he vowed to return the favor one day. He was alive and that gave him a chance to deliver a similar defeat to his enemy. The Mongolian and Song armies won a decisive victory seeing them not only repel an enemy but also acquire enough wealth to continue fund their war effort while nearly crippling the Chagatai. The Mongolian and Song armies didn't give chase on Badai fearing that they might get into another engagement. The battle resulted in all the men being very fatigued and another engagement could end very badly. Satisfied with their gains, Ogodei and Yi agreed that they should leave while they were still ahead. The two armies would return to friendly territory in two weeks where they would go their separate ways to rest up for future battles.

Casualties and losses:
-17,892 // -13,249

A quick update for my readers! This will be the last update of this AAR. I wish to thank you all for following and my new EU3 AAR will be up shortly after the conclusion of this one. I wish to thank everyone that followed. Happy holidays to you all! Hopefully, a few of you will join me in the more or less abandoned EU3 forum. :)

Mongolian-Chagatai War of 1296

Naval Battle of Persian Gulf

Date: 30 December 1302 (1 day)

Belligerents:
-Ilkhanate (ILK)
-Chagatai (CHA)

//

-Mongolia (MGL)
-Song (SON)

Commanders and leaders:

-Admiral Bede (ILK)
-Admiral Ghunan (CHA)

//

-Admiral Nayan (MGL)
-Admiral Sui An (SON)

Units involved:
-Supreme Ilkhanate Fleet (ILK)
-Supreme Chagatai Fleet (CHA)

//

-Imperial Mongolian Fleet (MGL)
-Song Imperial Fleet (SON)

Strength:
-21,500 // -32,428
-60 warships // -67 warships

qcZN8Un.png

Background

The war has been hurting both sides but a golden opportunity has arisen for the Mongolians and Chinese. Ilkhanate's neighbors, Rum and the Mamluks, sensed weakness in the nation and declared war for land they saw as their own. Faced with threats much closer to home, the Ilkhanate Khan, Badai, led a force to crush the Mamluks in what he saw as an easy victory before he would deal with Rum. Yet, he, in a disastrous battle, was forced to retreat with the enemy hot on his heels. There were no reinforcements nearby and the local fortifications weren't reliable enough to hold off the Mamluk forces. Thus, the retreat became quite straightforward in that he must cross the Strait of Hormuz into Persian territory and use his navy to cut off the enemy. Once he crossed the strait, he would be safe and could regroup his army to fight another day. However, there was an unexpected obstacle when the Mongolian and Song navy appeared in the Persian Gulf cutting off his escape. It would appear that a Mamluks envoy was sent by the Mamluk Sultan to request a naval blockade. The Mamluks sent the request hoping to cut off any Ilkhanate reinforcements from reach the Arabian Peninsula and didn't know that it would cut off Badai's retreat. This was a rare opportunity for the Mongolians and Chinese who have been at war with the Chagatai and Ilkhanate for seven years. Their navy was nearby and, if Badai was captured, the war could be ended. Chagatai was on it last leg as they struggled to stay financially afloat following the looting of Almaty. Ilkhanate was still strong but, with the other wars and financial strain, it was slowly crumbling under pressure. The capture of Badai would end the war and, through an envoy sent by Ogodei, the Mamluk sultan agreed to hand him over so the Mongolian Khan could dictate the peace treaty.

tagk8pr.png

The Battle

Mongol and Song fleets outnumbered the enemy by seven ships. They also had the advantage of a veteran Chinese Admiral called Sui An. Admiral An was son of a famous Song admiral that has won many incredible victories on the seas. Learning from his father, An was viewed as the best admiral in Asia. Ogodei has heard of An and decided to have his admiral obey every command of An. Admiral Nayan, while a veteran on land, was still relatively new to naval battles like many of his sailors. His sailors were still unaccustomed to the waves as many of them got sick often. An realized that the Mongolian sailors won't be very effective if their warships were to move much so he decided to go for a more passive stance for the Mongolian ships. Several of the Song warships would stay amongst the Mongolian warships to support while An himself would lead a small fleet towards the enemy fleets that have gathered hoping to break the blockade. The Ilkhanate and Chagatai admirals were surprised to see a small Chinese fleet daring to challenge them. With a thought, they ordered their ships to engage An's small fleet but the engagement only lasted a short while before An ordered his ships to withdraw. Thinking their enemy was routing, the Ilkhanate and Chagatai admirals gave orders to pursue resulting in them walking right into the enemy's trap.

An picked out the fastest ships in his fleet to act as bait and used himself to made it even more alluring. Seeing the enemy pursuing him, An gave orders to his signal officer who waved flags to friendly ships that were waiting. The order was given seeing the waiting Mongolian and Song ships advancing forward. The Ilkhanate and Chagatai admirals realized too late and their fleets were boxed in. Flaming arrows were used by Mongolian and Song skirmishers which set the enemy ships aflame instantly. Unlike the Mongolian and Song ships that were painted with fire-resistant mud, the Ilkhanate and Chagatai ships had no such protection. The Ilkhanate and Chagatai nations focused heavily on their armies while their navies consisted of captured ships during the earlier conquests. No naval officers of the conquered region defected over to the Ilkhanate or Chagatai resulting in two navies that, while appearing impressive on paper, lacked any capacity to actually engage in naval warfare. With the wind blowing towards the west, the flames would spread quickly until the two fleets were completely set aflame. The flames sent panic through the crews aboard the ships as many of them jumped overboard with most drowning. Not a single Ilkhanate or Chagatai warship made it back to dock as all of them sunk to the sea floor. This was a decisive victory for the Mongols and Chinese seeing them control the Strait of Hormuz and the fate of Badai.

Casualties and losses:
-21,500 // -195
-60 warships // -1 warship

Aftermath

Badai watched the entire engagement and cursed Tengri for blessing his enemies. He would continue resisting but, against overwhelming numbers, he would be captured by Mamluk forces who turned him over to the Mongols. Ogodei would have Badai agree to a series of conditions that would forever weaken Ilkhanate and Chagatai. Chagatai would cede nearly half of their territory to Mongolia. Ilkhanate would pay a hefty reparation to Song which was Ogodei's way of thanking the Chinese for their help. In addition, the mighty nation would give up territory to both Rum and the Mamluks. Mongolian, with the new gains, could start rebuilding rapidly as Ogodei still had the dream of rebuilding a great empire. Song could rebuild many of their infrastructure with the reparation which would bolster their trade bringing more wealth for the Chinese nation. The two nations would have an everlasting alliance until several decades later when both nations experienced their own civil wars that would reshape Asia. As for Rum and the Mamluks, the extra territory would be the stepping stones they needed to eventually become the dominant powers in the region. Rum would eventually form the Ottomans that would one day take over much of Europe. The Mamluks would continue their expansion along Northern Africa and, eventually, into Iberia. Chagatai, with the loss of their territory, would be bankrupted seeing the nation fractured as uprising plagued the nation ever since. The Ilkhanate would stay intact for another decade before they, too, collapse under rebellions.

0hdlyIO.png

You really wanted to finish this thing if you updated on Christmas. :D That was certainly a decisive victory, both on land and sea, for the Mongols. Genghis Khan would be proud.

Too bad this is over. I liked seeing how you made random wars from random games turn out. :)

You really wanted to finish this thing if you updated on Christmas. :D That was certainly a decisive victory, both on land and sea, for the Mongols. Genghis Khan would be proud.

Too bad this is over. I liked seeing how you made random wars from random games turn out. :)

Well, I don't celebrate Christmas like many here. It's simply a holiday for me so more time for me to write :p. As for random battles and stuff, you will definitely see it in my new AAR. It will just be one huge war with lots of battles everywhere. Just have to get through the history of the nations first.

Just a quick update! My new AAR is up in the EU3 section here. It's still in the early stages and requires a lot of work before it becomes presentable. Come visit if you have time :).

And I've finally found the time to read the other chapters in this AAR. A nice idea to describe this one major war this way, very original indeed!
Now quickly back to the Great European War to see if there's an update there :p

We wan't moarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

We wan't moarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'm afraid this AAR is over. You can check this AAR. It's in the history stage but the battles will be coming up soonish. I'll be using Napoleonic Era technology (plus or minus a century or so) so the battles will differ from what I've shown so far. There will be a lot more naval battles too.

NOOOOOOOOOO

The new one seems nice though.