• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To Resist the Spanish
A MMG2 Aztec AAR

aztecwarparty.jpg

Mesoamerica Divided: Part 5

However, the new soldiers created in the sortie, after regrouping, allowed the full army to relieve Tenochtitlan.

EU3_248-1.jpg

The Tlaxcalan people had become tired of the war. Fearing that the trend would continue to get worse and worse, the King of Tlaxcala agreed to sign a white peace with the Aztecs on 10 April, 1461. Large celebrations were held in Tenochtitlan, but Micochan was still in the war.

EU3_250-1.jpg

This allowed the Aztec army to go on the offensive for the first time during the war.

EU3_252-1.jpg

This was enough to convince the King of Micochan to end the war by preserving the status quo.

EU3_253-1.jpg

With the war over, Emperor Axaycatl I died peacefully in Tenochtitlan, the survival of Aztlan secured. His son, Emperor Tehuetstiquitzin I (note: the names of my emperors are showing a disconcerting tendency to get harder to spell), ascended to the throne.

EU3_255-1.jpg

Shortly thereafter, an important noble was assassinated. The emperor decided to simply let them solve it amongst themselves.

EU3_256-1.jpg

On June 7, 1462, Emperor Tehuetstiquitzn received terrible news. Aztlan's two enemies, Micochan and Tlaxcala, had formed a personal union, and the King of Micochan would now rule Tlaxcala.

EU3_258-1.jpg

Hoping to secure Micochan's good will, Emperor Tehuetstiuitzn married the daughter of the king of Micochan.

EU3_259-1.jpg

Last edited:
To Resist the Spanish
A MMG2 Aztec AAR

aztecwarparty.jpg

Mesoamerica Divided: Part 6

On February 8, 1463, the emperor received a visitor, who was soon appointed spymaster.

EU3_260-1.jpg

By September, the Aztec army was back to full strength. The creation of a second army was ordered, as it would provide more tactical flexibility.

EU3_261-1.jpg

Unfortunately, this meant that leaders and soldiers started complaining about the lack of a more mobile arm of the army, causing a reduction in leader skill and discipline.

EU3_263-1.jpg

Unwilling to allow this, the emperor ordered that one regiment be disbanded, and threatened to do so to any other dissenters. The complaints stopped. (note: the cavalry weakness modifier only affects me if I have 10 or more regiments. I'll need more than ten later, but for now I can't afford the reduction in discipline.)

EU3_264-1.jpg

In September 1466, Tlaxcala offered a royal marriage. This surprised the Aztec court, because they thought that Tlaxcala was ruled by the rulers of Micochan. It appeared that Tlaxcala had broken free. This provided a useful opportunity, and war was declared on Tlaxcala.

EU3_266-1.jpg

Thus, the invasion of Tlaxcala began.

EU3_267-1.jpg

However, numerically inferior Tlaxcalan warriors were able to defeat the Aztec army.

EU3_268-1.jpg

The Reserve Army, however, was able to lay siege to Pokomon.

EU3_269-1.jpg

On February 3, 1468, government technology advanced for a second time. As the Aztecs are tribal, this didn't mean much.

EU3_270-2.jpg

Last edited:
Every time I hit refresh, you have added an update :eek:

The size (in kb) of the pictures makes my browser explode, so I may not get the whole picture (pardon the pun)

It seems you are at war again. I wish you luck!

comagoosie said:
Every time I hit refresh, you have added an update :eek:

The size (in kb) of the pictures makes my browser explode, so I may not get the whole picture (pardon the pun)
It won't stay that way... enjoy it while it lasts! :D (I'm doing this so that I can catch up to where I've played to)

Would it help if I converted the pictures into another format?

Last edited:
To Resist the Spanish
A MMG2 Aztec AAR

aztecwarparty.jpg

Mesoamerica Divided: Part 7

Because of the recent breakthroughs in government technology, money was reinvested into land technology, instead.

EU3_271-1.jpg

The Tlaxcalans continued to be able to defeat much larger Aztec forces.

EU3_272-1.jpg

On October 23, 1468, the Tlaxcalans and the Chalcoese made peace. This made little difference in the war, as Chalco hadn't been helping much anyway. Finally, at the beginning of 1469 the Aztec army succeeded in driving the Tlaxcalans away from Tenochtitlan.

EU3_274-1.jpg

The Aztec army was then free to attack Tlaxcala itself.

EU3_275-1.jpg

Unfortunately, the Reserve Army was driven out of Pokomon with heavy casualties (the Tlaxcalans got a cavalry unit by the "Legendary Mercenary Company" event. This costs them insane amounts of maintenance, so I did them a favor and destroyed it in combat later in the war (they'll thank me later ;) ).

EU3_276-1.jpg

The defenders in Huastec are a disciplined and elite force. This causes large amounts of attrition to its 1,000 besiegers (on a level 2 fort).

EU3_277-1.jpg

Micochan wisely decided to allow Aztec troops to march through its land, allowing the Reserve Army to retreat back to Tenochtitlan.

EU3_280-1.jpg

In response to demands for yet more decentralization, the emperor agreed, knowing that Aztlan was already as decentralized as possible, but that agreeing would improve the domestic situation.

EU3_282-1.jpg

On January 4, 1470, the emperor declared an embargo on all Tlaxcalan trade interests in Tenochtitlan.

EU3_283-1.jpg

Last edited:
Very good so far, I'll keep subscribed!
I'm curious about your sliders, though. You've not changed them for awhile, though you've had the option. Why is this?

Beamed said:
Very good so far, I'll keep subscribed!
I'm curious about your sliders, though. You've not changed them for awhile, though you've had the option. Why is this?
I'd like to say that's a brilliant plan, but it isn't... I just forgot, even with the slider reminder tab at the top.

To Resist the Spanish
A MMG2 Aztec AAR

aztecwarparty.jpg

Mesoamerica Divided: Part 8

On March 1, 1470, the emperor received complaints from the artisans in Tenochtitlan. They were summarily sacrificed to the gods, so that the sun would continue to rise.

EU3_285-1.jpg

Runners from the fort in Huastec reported to the commander of the Reserve Army that only 118 Tlaxcalans remained outside their walls. Though the reserve army was still at only about half strength, it would be enough to destroy the Tlaxcalans.

EU3_287-1.jpg

By the time that the Reserve Army arrived, only 47 Tlaxcalan soldiers remained.

EU3_288-1.jpg

On July 30, 1470, the fortress in Tlaxcala fell.

EU3_289-1.jpg

At some point earlier in the war, Micochan had apparently gone to war with Tlaxcala as well. Since Micochan would reach the province of Zapotec before the army in Tlaxcala would, the Aztec army marched to Pokomon instead.

EU3_291-1.jpg

Zapotec fell to Micochan in December.

EU3_293-1.jpg

The Tlaxcalans had totally lost all their ability to wage war, and had gone bankrupt twice already.

EU3_294-1.jpg

Any peace agreement that Tlaxcala would offer was completely unsatisfactory, however. Therefore, the emperor decided to wait until Micochan made peace with Tlaxcala in the hopes that Micochan would not take Zapotec, giving Aztlan a chance to take the province.

EU3_295-1.jpg

No such luck was to be had.

EU3_296-1.jpg

Last edited:
To Resist the Spanish
A MMG2 Aztec AAR

aztecwarparty.jpg

Mesoamerica Divided: Part 9

On October 17, 1471, the many peasants of Aztlan demanded better treatment. The emperor, knowing that making his subjects freer could only be helpful in the long run, agreed.

EU3_297-1.jpg

At the beginning of 1472, Pokomon fell to the Aztecs. All of Tlaxcala was now occupied.

EU3_298-1.jpg

The emperor demanded that Tlaxcala renounce their ties of vassalage to Micochan and become an Aztec vassal, cede Pokomon to the Aztec Empire, and pay as much gold as could be found in the Tlaxcalan capital. The Tlaxcalan king reluctantly agreed.

EU3_300-1.jpg

Somehow, Aztec merchants are upset that they are banned from trading in places they've never heard of and have no idea of the existence of.

EU3_301-1.jpg

More men became available for the Aztec army.

EU3_302-1.jpg

With the war over, there was no longer any need to pass through Micochanese lands.

EU3_305-1.jpg

The merchant houses of Aztlan were ordered not to compete with Tlaxcalan merchants, who were at only 7% efficiency at the time. This didn't matter, as the fact that many, many more merchants could fit in Tenochtitlan meant that no competition was going on anyway.

EU3_307-1.jpg

On December 18, 1473, Chalco declared war on Micochan. This was just the sort of opportunity that the emperor had been waiting for, and he pledged Aztlan's support.

EU3_308-1.jpg

Last edited:
To Resist the Spanish
A MMG2 Aztec AAR

aztecwarparty.jpg

Mesoamerica Divided: Part 10

An embargo was placed on all Micochanese trade interests in Tenochtitlan.

EU3_309-1.jpg

The Aztec armies began their invasion of Micochan.

EU3_310-1.jpg

EU3_311-1.jpg

Though no resistance was encountered in Zapotec, the Aztec Army in Mixtec was dealt a crushing defeat against superior numbers.

EU3_312-1.jpg

Once again, Tenochtitlan was under siege.

EU3_313-1.jpg

On May 31, 1474, the emperor died leaving only an 11-year-old heir. A regency council was appointed to oversee the governance of Aztlan during Emperor Cuauhtemoc I's minority.

EU3_315-1.jpg

Government under a regent is never as stable as under the true monarch.

EU3_316-1.jpg

Micochan demanded wholly unreasonable terms. Their emissaries were sacrificed to the gods, so that the sun would continue to rise.

EU3_317-1.jpg

Their demands were especially comical considering that Micochan had a significantly lower capacity to wage war.

EU3_318-1.jpg

Last edited:
To Resist the Spanish
A MMG2 Aztec AAR

aztecwarparty.jpg

Mesoamerica Divided: Part 11

On October 15, 1474, a new general was recruited and assigned to command the Aztec Army.

EU3_320.png

The Micochanese army besieging Tenochtitlan was wholly insufficient to take the city, and so they were allowed to remain on the shores of Lake Texcoco, unable to do anything but glare menacingly at the city.

EU3_321-1.jpg

On January 25, 1475, royal family members demanded a voice in the regency council. Their demands were ignored.

EU3_322-1.jpg

A battle was fought and lost in Tarasco, and the Aztec Army was forced to retreat back to Aztlan.

EU3_325-1.jpg

The army besieging Guachichil was less than half the size of the garrison, and so no army was sent to relieve the province.

EU3_326-1.jpg

On November 11, 1475, the garrison of Zapotec surrendered.

EU3_327-1.jpg

However, when the province was demanded, the demands were denied.

EU3_328-1.jpg

On November 28, 1475, a new general was recruited and assigned to command the Reserve Army.

EU3_331-1.jpg

Micochanese emissaries demanded the return of Zapotec in return for peace. Just like the previous time they had demanded this, their demands were rejected and the emissaries were sacrificed, so that the sun would continue to rise every morning.

EU3_332-1.jpg

Last edited:
I have huge problems with your images... after 15 mins of downloading I still don't see half of them...
maybe a bit less pics or something else....

ScouseJedi said:
Your images are 4Mb atm

If you convert them to a .jpg they will drop to <250kb - this would make it much easier and quicker to keep up with things
Ok. From this point on, I'll convert the images to .jpg. Thanks for the advice.

However, I can't convert the images I already posted because I deleted them from my computer. :eek:o

Hiya, told you I'd be along to take a look. Good work, I think, your screenies are pretty large and my browser gets bored even though I don't.

It's an interesting challenge you've got there. Is war the on;ly way to unite Mesoamerica or could diplomacy do the trick?

About the screenies converting to jpeg will help a lot and it'll take the pressure off your hosting account as well - you're using about 40Mb of space per post at the moment! I did exactly the same thing and ended up spending a whole evening replacing 70+ pngs with jpegs :eek:o

More please!

PrawnStar said:
Hiya, told you I'd be along to take a look. Good work, I think, your screenies are pretty large and my browser gets bored even though I don't.

It's an interesting challenge you've got there. Is war the on;ly way to unite Mesoamerica or could diplomacy do the trick?

About the screenies converting to jpeg will help a lot and it'll take the pressure off your hosting account as well - you're using about 40Mb of space per post at the moment! I did exactly the same thing and ended up spending a whole evening replacing 70+ pngs with jpegs :eek:o

More please!
There's always diplo-vassalizing/annexation, but I've only got ~50 years before the Spanish are supposed to arrive, and large amounts of inflation from gold, which I need to get rid of.

-------------
There will be an update later today.

Rodrico Stak said:
Ok. From this point on, I'll convert the images to .jpg. Thanks for the advice.

However, I can't convert the images I already posted because I deleted them from my computer. :eek:o
Well,you could download them again.

Nice progress so far,BTW!What are you going to do after you finish with the uniting of Mesoamerica,until the Europeans arrive?