• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
{{*supressed giggling*}}

{{You have caused this demon, Alexandros is now mad and the Imperium will now suffer the consequences for it}}

Senator Harun Al-Askari

Harun wastes no time digging into the food. He sighs when he realizes it was army food, but that does not stop him. He calls over one of the slaves

"Tell the cook that next time he should fry the fish in the bacon grease, it makes an enormous difference. Same goes for the stale bread. And make sure my men are fed.

Senator Harun Al-Askari

Harun took Alexios's hand, and the implied challenge with it. As two powerful men do, each tried to crush the other, smiling at one another. After a few moments, satisfied with his opponent's strength, Harun released Alexios. The man's hand bore the calluses of a soldier, more than could be asked of the average noble. He was satisfied.

"To those who have just arrived, I am Harun, of the considerably less ancient house of Al-Askari"

Senator Alexios Este-Ravenna:

Would that all the senators were like this, perhaps the empire would not have come to such grief.
"Worry not, friend, we are not the White Demes, to consider an
honest mistake. Though I would not be so quick to eat food that has not been tested, not after what befell the infamous senate session twenty years ago."

Senator Alexandros Mandromenos

This seed of madness is a letter, placed in the room before anyone arrived. I remind you the Blues claimed something similar twenty years ago. It was found when Ouranos knocked a cup over. We must ensure one of the same isn't here. Instead of turning the missive over to the President like a true Roman, the fool di Capponi opened it, and the secret message within drove the Whites mad. Their unwillingness to work with the proper authorities was nothing short of betrayal. If we find one such letter here, we must not make the same mistake.

Alexio's demeanor instantly becomes less hostile. Though he still does not like or trust this stranger, his words do justify his presence. "I have heard of the Capponis... they consort with Pisans and other scum." He becomes thoughftul. "Is this some sort of jape, perhaps at some dyantoi's behest?" Or perhaps the emperor wishes to divide and distract us, he thought darkly, though he is not nearly fool enough to voice such heresy aloud. Once he would have thought it unthinkable that the Emperor would wish his loyal subjects ill, but now, with the Imperium in such dires traits? The Emperor was said to hide behind a veil... his elder brother had been set aside, why it was not known, and now rumors said one of the Angeloi's cousins was the figure of a heretical cult.

"Something is afoul in Constantinople, and I believe it is in our interests to know what it is. I suggest we, along with whatever allies we might find in the senate, launch an investigation into this incident, in conjunction with the Vice President of the Senate, who should be our Faction Leader in the wake of the upcoming session."

He begins to search the room, focusing specifically on the food brought in by the servants.

Senator Zeno Urbicus Mojmirid

Zeno was a thin man, in spite of his thin frame Zeno boasted a well toned body from years of travel and hunting. Unlike many of his fellow senators, Zeno's garb was a simple white toga worn by dignitaries and senators from the ancient Greek times. A belt, adorned with gold laurel leaves, was tied around his waist. His darkened skin might have been once a peach white, but years under the hot Levant sun had changed that. As he stepped into the tower John followed in close behind, a satchel slung around his shoulder.

"Dear Senators, I do apologize for my tardiness. The seas were a fair bit rougher than I had expected. Ah where are my manners, I am Zeno, last son of Quintus, of the Mojmirid dynasty. I only wish we could have met in a more pleasant time. Senator Alexios, I believe? I have heard tales of your exploits on the field of battle."

Zeno extended his hand in the proper Roman greeting. After greeting Senator Alexios, Zeno noticed a man, covered head to toe in black.

"Again I feel I must apologize, I did not notice you behind Senator Alexios, and unfortunately I do not recognize you."

Before the man in black could answer Zeno's eyes fell up on Senator Alexandros. After taking a step back in shock Zeno regained his composure and bowed deeply to the elderly senator.

"Had I know we would have been in such esteemed company I would have brought my silk toga. It is an honor to make your acquaintance Senator Alexandros."

Turning back, Zeno addressed the senator in black. "I do apologize for cutting you off. If I may be so rude, what is your name?"

{{I am not RPing John, he is a silent character and will have no personal actions}}
Leon Taurinus:

"It's no trouble, I am Leon Taurinus, it is my pleasure to make your acquaintance and to see another familiar name join us here at this critical time for the Imperium."

*He makes the acquaintance of the other new senators. When food is presented he does not eat, for he and the rest of his party only eat the food they brought with them from Cherson. He instead joins Alexios in searching the room though he tries his best to avoid touching things except with his father's cane and says: *

"Though I trust my fellow Reds as good and honorable and true servants of the Imperium, I have heard of far too many conspiracies and assassins to ignore the potential for some hidden threat. Caution is a virtue we must have in abundance in these days. "

{{This is a very fun start to the session, I've had a few good laughs from this, especially our refugee from the Reds raising the alarm about betrayal.}}

Reactions:
{{THE SKY IS FALLING! THERE WAS A WOLF! COLONEL MUSTARD IN THE BALLROOM WITH THE CANDLESTICK! THE WHITES ARE HERETICS AND NEED TO BE PURIFIED BY THE FLAME}}

Reactions:
{{THE SKY IS FALLING! THERE WAS A WOLF! COLONEL MUSTARD IN THE BALLROOM WITH THE CANDLESTICK! THE WHITES ARE HERETICS AND NEED TO BE PURIFIED BY THE FLAME}}

{{ I believe it was Alexandros in the Courtroom with the Cryptic Letter! :cool: Long live di Capponi! }}

Reactions:

Would that all the senators were like this, perhaps the empire would not have come to such grief.
"Worry not, friend, we are not the White Demes, to consider an
honest mistake. Though I would not be so quick to eat food that has not been tested, not after what befell the infamous senate session twenty years ago."

Alexio's demeanor instantly becomes less hostile. Though he still does not like or trust this stranger, his words do justify his presence. "I have heard of the Capponis... they consort with Pisans and other scum." He becomes thoughftul. "Is this some sort of jape, perhaps at some dyantoi's behest?" Or perhaps the emperor wishes to divide and distract us, he thought darkly, though he is not nearly fool enough to voice such heresy aloud. Once he would have thought it unthinkable that the Emperor would wish his loyal subjects ill, but now, with the Imperium in such dires traits? The Emperor was said to hide behind a veil... his elder brother had been set aside, why it was not known, and now rumors said one of the Angeloi's cousins was the figure of a heretical cult.

"Something is afoul in Constantinople, and I believe it is in our interests to know what it is. I suggest we, along with whatever allies we might find in the senate, launch an investigation into this incident, in conjunction with the Vice President of the Senate, who should be our Faction Leader in the wake of the upcoming session."

He begins to search the room, focusing specifically on the food brought in by the servants.

The di Capponi Family is indeed corrupt. I believe contact with rebels in Italia has turned him. It is strange that he managed to evade a province full of rebels anyway. Anyways, on to more important matters than the rightful purging of the Whites, the selection of the Speaker. Remind me, who is eligible for the position?

The di Capponi Family is indeed corrupt. I believe contact with rebels in Italia has turned him. It is strange that he managed to evade a province full of rebels anyway. Anyways, on to more important matters than the rightful purging of the Whites, the selection of the Speaker. Remind me, who is eligible for the position?

Alexios flashes his teeth in what only a wolf might call a smile. "It is past time an Este held the position as Speaker of the Red Demes. In these trying times who better to lead the Reds than a proven battle commander of an ancient Red House?"

Alexios flashes his teeth in what only a wolf might call a smile. "It is past time an Este held the position as Speaker of the Red Demes. In these trying times who better to lead the Reds than a proven battle commander of an ancient Red House?"

{{ WOOOOOOOO! Go Alexios! Go get'em Tiger! }}

Leon Taurinus

"I concur, Este-Ravenna is a noble and house that has been a long and proud history in the senate. I will happily have the wise Alexios speaking for our faction."

I have little doubt a skilled commander would make a proper Speaker of the Reds, but I would like to know the list of eligible candidates and their qualifications. I would like to hope that unlike the Whites, there is more than one proper candidate. Speaker Pyraeus seemed to be a good man, but his failure to reign in the chaos is what caused the madness to take the Whites.

Leon Taurinus:
*sitting away from the table and replying in his usual muffled voice*
"Old Wedrovander, if he arrives, could be a possibility, unfortunately it seems most of our members are too young to be canidates. Regardless, I stand in support of Este-Ravenna, who's loyalty is unquestioned and has fought with great determination for the good of the Imperium"

Last edited:

I have little doubt a skilled commander would make a proper Speaker of the Reds, but I would like to know the list of eligible candidates and their qualifications. I would like to hope that unlike the Whites, there is more than one proper candidate. Speaker Pyraeus seemed to be a good man, but his failure to reign in the chaos is what caused the madness to take the Whites.

I do not presume to speak for my fellow Senators, nor does it behoove a man of means to boast of his own accomplishments. I am a servant of Rome and a Roman, that is a man of the army, first and forever.

I do not presume to speak for my fellow Senators, nor does it behoove a man of means to boast of his own accomplishments. I am a servant of Rome and a Roman, that is a man of the army, first and forever.

I am impressed by your humility Senator Ravenna, but I have noticed that Senator Scipion and Senator Al-Askari are of the right age for a Speaker. Both are present here today and I would like to hear from them to make my decision. Would either of you like to speak up?

Senator Harun Al-Askari

I fear that I am not an experienced enough politician to be speaker. I support senator este-Ravenna

I see. I will respect your decision. Senator Scipion, unless you have any objection, we would have Senator Ravenna as our Speaker. Do you oppose?

"Although my family has long lasting ties to politics of the Imperium, I am far to young to ever be taken seriously as a leader for the Reds. I to support Este-Ravenna's nomination. On the topic of the Food, honestly in these trying times it is foolish to believe in shadows in the corner and whimsical tales of daemons. The only true daemons are men, and men alone."

*Pausing, Zeno picks up an apple and begins to eat it.*

"Honestly senators, if this is our time to die, then by god it will be. There is no sense in fearing the unknown, I survived the plague by pure happen chance. Had I not been traveling at the time I would have likely been killed like so many in my family. Remember, we are soldiers above all else, fear is an emotion that we are not privy to."

*As Zeno finishes he takes another large bite of the apple. Pausing mid bite, Zeno removes a couple of scrolls from the satchel John is holding.*

"Now, Senators, if we could be so obliged, I suggest we discuss the business at hand. If at all possible I would like to discuss the integration of Bavaria into the Imperium. As the years have gone by they have grown more and more distant. Rather than being a true vassal they act more like a satellite, free from the burdens of helping their betters. Any thoughts on the matter?"

*Leaning back into his chair, Zeno's demeanor is care free, happy to await a response from his fellow dems.*

Senator Donasien de la Lumiere

*Two riders move past the blackened houses, the sound of the horseshoes muffled by the ash. The ash had gotten on Donasien's face, as well, smearing across his unshaven cheeks. His hair, black and slightly curled, falls in ringlets around his tanned face. His armor is leather, of a good quality and artistic make, but worn and still stained with dried blood. His cloak is green, gold and tattered. At his left side he wears a short sword, on his right he wears a pistol, and on his back is a longsword, of the sort the knights of Aquitaine and France of old wore; it is chipped but gleams even through the smoke, and has a single emerald engraved on the hilt.

The other rider is his twin sister, Athanasia. She wears a cloak, dark blue in color, that hides the dark curls of her hair under a heavy hood. Her face is pale, but her eyes are green like her brother's. Despite the smoke and the ash and the intermittent screams, her face remains serene. She wears a silver dagger, thin as a needle, at her hip.

They approach the Gatehouse...*

*A door slams open below. Feet come up the steps, and the door to the meeting room slams in similar fashion. Donasien, short, slim, thirty-three of age, walks into the room. He glances around at the senators, at the Reds, his colleagues, and gives a wry smile.*

I apologize, Senators. I was wandering about the city and lost track of time. Please, continue as you were, I will follow long. I am Donasien de Lumiere, *he adds as almost an afterthought as he walks through the room*,
kentarchos of the 13th Tagma. Pleasure to meet you all, naturally. And a pleasure to be around soldiers again, *he adds with a wink* instead of those pudgy bureaucrats that this city so loves.

But I must ask, who brought those hordes of bodyguards with them? *His eyes fall on Alexandros.* You, Senator? An impressive show of force, to be sure, but if I'd have known this was a bring-your-own-army occasion, I would have brought my
tagma along. They're still in the field at the moment...fighting, or something? *He gives Alexandros a long look and the smile again, biting and bitter.* But I suppose that's because they're soldiers. Not a merchant prince's thugs.

*With that Donasien falls into a chair. He looks towards the remaining platters of food thoughtfully; then, slowly and deliberately, he pulls an apple from his pocket, and brings to chew.*

Last edited:
Reactions:

"Although my family has long lasting ties to politics of the Imperium, I am far to young to ever be taken seriously as a leader for the Reds. I to support Este-Ravenna's nomination. On the topic of the Food, honestly in these trying times it is foolish to believe in shadows in the corner and whimsical tales of daemons. The only true daemons are men, and men alone."

*Pausing, Zeno picks up an apple and begins to eat it.*

"Honestly senators, if this is our time to die, then by god it will be. There is no sense in fearing the unknown, I survived the plague by pure happen chance. Had I not been traveling at the time I would have likely been killed like so many in my family. Remember, we are soldiers above all else, fear is an emotion that we are not privy to."

*As Zeno finishes he takes another large bite of the apple. Pausing mid bite, Zeno removes a couple of scrolls from the satchel John is holding.*

"Now, Senators, if we could be so obliged, I suggest we discuss the business at hand. If at all possible I would like to discuss the integration of Bavaria into the Imperium. As the years have gone by they have grown more and more distant. Rather than being a true vassal they act more like a satellite, free from the burdens of helping their betters. Any thoughts on the matter?"

*Leaning back into his chair, Zeno's demeanor is care free, happy to await a response from his fellow dems.*

Funny how you should mention Bavaria Senator Mojmirid. The missive, which caused such damage to the Whites, had on it a black cross potent. As you may know, that is the symbol of the Teutonic Order, a papist knight order who conquered France, weakening the West for the Xenoi to conquer. Since the Teutons were associated with the German nobles, I fear that the Bavarian leaders may be plotting something. This madness of the Whites may very well be their doing.

Senator Donasien de la Lumiere

*Two riders move past the blackened houses, the sound of the horseshoes muffled by the ash. The ash had gotten on Donasien's face, as well, smearing across his unshaven cheeks. His hair, black and slightly curled, falls in ringlets around his tanned face. His armor is leather, of a good quality and artistic make, but worn and still stained with dried blood. His cloak is green, gold and tattered. At his left side he wears a short sword, on his right he wears a pistol, and on his back is a longsword, of the sort the knights of Aquitaine and France of old wore; it is chipped but gleams even through the smoke, and has a single emerald engraved on the hilt.

The other rider is his twin sister, Athanasia. She wears a cloak, dark blue in color, that hides the dark curls of her hair under a heavy hood. Her face is pale, but her eyes are green like her brother's. Despite the smoke and the ash and the intermittent screams, her face remains serene. She wears a silver dagger, thin as a needle, at her hip.

The approach the Gatehouse...*

*A door slams open below. Feet come up the steps, and the door to the meeting room slams in similar fashion. Donasien, short, slim, thirty-three of age, walks into the room. He glances around at the senators, at the Reds, his colleagues, and gives a wry smile.*

I apologize, Senators. I was wandering about the city and lost track of time. Please, continue as you were, I will follow long. I am Donasien de Lumiere, *he adds as almost an afterthought as he walks through the room*,
kentarchos of the 13th Tagma. Pleasure to meet you all, naturally. And a pleasure to be around soldiers again, *he adds with a wink* instead of those pudgy bureaucrats that this city so loves.

But I must ask, who brought those hordes of bodyguards with them? *His eyes fall on Alexandros.* You, Senator? An impressive show of force, to be sure, but if I'd have known this was a bring-your-own-army occasion, I would have brought my
tagma along. They're still in the field at the moment...fighting, or something? *He gives Alexandros a long look and the smile again, biting and bitter.* But I suppose that's because they're soldiers. Not a merchant prince's thugs.

*With that Donasien falls into a chair. He looks towards the remaining platters of food thoughtfully; then, slowly and deliberately, he pulls an apple from his pocket, and brings to chew.*

Dear Lumiere, I will forgive your insult to Raverro and his men on their behalf. It cannot be helped that the brave men serving the Emperor in the field are ignorant of recent events. Perhaps if you sit and listen, you may learn of the betrayal of the Whites that gives me reason to bring a highly disciplined, well equipment fighting force here this day.