• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CatKnight Thank you, well I'm sure Hans will be nice and safe in his cell ;)

Coz1 It seems so, besides it's good to give Octavian an opportunity to play around with someone's :)

Finally caught up on reading the whole thread...

I find Octavian a very complex character and i am sure he is hiding more amazing traits. In fact, i am expecting him to surprise us in the near future.

Where will he go from now? back to sieging Bran? forward to Hermanstadt? or Klausenburg? Can he afford to let the enemy behind, even if circled and besieged?

Fnuco said:
Finally caught up on reading the whole thread...

I find Octavian a very complex character and i am sure he is hiding more amazing traits. In fact, i am expecting him to surprise us in the near future.

Where will he go from now? back to sieging Bran? forward to Hermanstadt? or Klausenburg? Can he afford to let the enemy behind, even if circled and besieged?

Thank you fnuco! :D I hope I depicting the Carpathians in Winter correctly.

BTW Fnuco, I know the historical region of Banat includes part of Arad county but is the city of Arad in Banat?

Currently there aren't very many Wallachian soldiers in Kronstadt, only the twenty-five Octavian brought with him and a few dozen more ethnic Romanian recruits in Kronstadt itself (which I will talk about next update), the rest of his men are still besieging Bran Castle under the command of Radu.

Sorry about the slow updates but I couldn't update Friday and I don't update on weekends

The Sword of Dacia​

The Pond

Chapter XXI​

Another meeting finished… Octavian was getting bored of this. All throughout the miserable day Octavian met with delegation upon delegation of ‘concerned citizens’, the most recent being a group of lumberjacks demanding compensation for the forests the Wallachian forces had so ‘recklessly’ burned down while fighting Herman’s forces in the Rucar-Bran Pass. Octavian promptly had them thrown out for wasting his time. It was getting increasingly tiring but someone had to do it and the only one qualified to do so was himself, he was the only person with the authority to make these decisions afterall, or at least the only person who could make the correct decisions. But every man has his limit and Octavian took a few minutes out of his schedule to clear his head. What Octavian really wanted to do was go back to Bran Castle and sort out Radu’s relationship with Voica…

‘She was extremely shy (except it seems around me) and she seemed horribly mismatched with such a womanizing braggart like Radu. Voica never mentioned anything about him… she seemed to like asking about Italia though. But Radu never took ‘no’ for an answer, he could be quiet persistent when it came to his skirt chasing. Would Radu force himself on a woman? No… his cousin maybe a lot of things but he was not a… well maybe he would if he was desperate enough… or drunk enough.’ Thought Octavian, who mulled over the matter with the voracity of an ancient Greek philospher while he sat on a bench in the prefecture building’s courtyard, in front of him was a small pond had frozen up and a thick layer of ice encased the tiny body of water. Octavian shivered… it was bitterly cold, but it seemed only Octavian was bothered by it. He had become too accustomed to the warm and sunny Mediterranean, he even still had a bronzed complexion, though he spent much of his time indoors. From behind him a figure cast his shadow across the pond and laughed.

“So… you’re the zmeu from yesterday?” laughed an old man. Octavian recognized him instantly as the old guard who was arguing with councilman Hans the night before. He was dressed sharply this time, he wore a feathered hat like a man half his age would, he even walked like one; with a sense of confidence and an air of dignity, a far cry from Octavian who seemed to be the opposite of all those qualities. The old man’s long and sharp beard jutted diagonally from his weathered face.

“That pond may be small there young man… but the most beautiful swans come here every year. Of course, that depends if you like swans” he laughed again. He leaned his cane on the bench and sat down beside Octavian.

“So young man, it’s not everyday you see somebody walk out from the hills in the middle of the night and breathe fire” he said, giving Octavian a mischievous grin.

“I get called a lot of things… but this is the first time I think I’ve been called a Zmeu” said Octavian with a tired look on his face, his eyes never turning from the small frozen pond.

“So if you’re not a Zmeu that must mean you’re a Zmeoaică then!” the old man laughed again and even the somewhat morass looking Octavian managed to smile, if only for a brief second.

“ No… my name is Octavian de la Călăraşi and I am very much human”

“Hm… ‘de la Călăraşi’ eh? That’s a rather odd name. Are you sure you’re Rumâni? The way you speak… perhaps you’re Italian? French? Spanish? And those… things on you eyes…” said the old man while he scratched at his greying beard.

“No… my father was Rumâni, and his father before him was Rumâni and my great grand-father was Rumâni. And these?” said Octavian, pointing to his spectacles.

“These are glasses, they help me see.”

“And I guess from the name you’re from Călăraşi? In Muntenia? I’ve never been there, but with a name like that you must like horses!” exclaimed the old man as his face lit up at the possibility of talking about the four legged equus.

“… No, not really… I can’t say I particularly like horses at all. Everyone else seems to though,” mumbled Octavian. The old man’s smile shrank a little but it was still very much on his face, beaming with the few teeth he had left.

“So why don’t you change your last name then?”

“What?”

“Well if you don’t like horses then I can’t see why you’d keep such a ridiculous surname”

“Well it is… odd but it’s not something I feel I can change…”

“And why not?”

“Well it’s my family’s legacy…”

“And what sort of legacy is that? Naming yourself after one place. From the looks of it you’re a traveler… you don’t seem like the type to simply be content with being in one place for the rest of you’re life, like me!” smiled the old man.

“Ah yes, you’re a Shepard? If I remember correctly”

“Yes I am! Just how long where you waiting out there listening in on our conversation young man?” he laughed. Octavian couldn’t help but feel better around him, he was always laughing and seemed to be enjoying the company of this odd young man with a silly name. Well now that the old man had gotten closer Octavian’s nose detected the thick odour of alcohol in his breathe… it was apple palincă. Octavian had heard that Transilvanian shepards were able to down a whole litre of the highly intoxicating brew and still manage to tend to their flocks of sheep but Octavian was rather surprised to find that this statement actually may be true. Octavian finally turned his head from the pond.

“Don’t tell me you have to drink to make it through a conversation with me!” Octavian chided. The old man laughed even harder now and wrapped his left arm around Octavian.

“Oh, sorry about that!” he snickered.

“I was supposed to meet with some high and mighty boier but he never showed! I brought him a bottle of palincă as a gift but he wasn’t there!” said the old man. He opened up his coat and in a pocket was a half empty bottle.

“I was going to drink it myself but I prefer to drink in the company of others,” exclaimed the old man.

“Oh! I forgot about my next meeting! I was supposed to meet with a Mr. Prunariu just now!”

“Wait! You’re the boier!?”

“Yes I am”

“But you’re so young!”

“I’m not that young… I don’t see why people keep calling me that… I’m just a little… well short for my age”

“But why would a boier go out on his own and try to take an entire city on his own?!” exclaimed Prunariu.

“Errr… well, it just sort of happened… it worked didn’t it?”

“Indeed it did young man!” laughed the elderly gentleman.

“Oh wait! I didn’t catch you’re name sir… well, your first name”

“It’s Stefan, a pleasure meeting you Octavian!” said Octavian’s elderly companion. Stefan reached into his pocket and was about to take another swig of palincă when Octavian snatched it from him.

“Now that I think of it! I could use a stiff drink,” joked Octavian. And with that the two men sat up and went off to raid councilman Hans’ wine cellar as half a bottle of palincă was hardly enough for the two thirsty Rumâni.

Last edited:
Ouch, Semi-Lobster!

He can still talk after half a bottle of palinca? One glass and i am wasted... :rofl:

Seriously now, where are you taking Octavian? Is he really so different that he can't fit in anywhere? Everybody laughs at him...

I really relate to him though... as a Romanian studying in Italy... :D

I loved the conversation with Stefan. The back and forth, understanding and misunderstanding - it flowed very well. And good for Octavian. Let loose a bit. Maybe then he will understand why Radu's words bothered him so much.

Fnuco From what I've read palinca is pretty hard stuff, between 50 and 65-70% alcohol! As for where i'm going with Octavian... well you'll have to just keep reading! :D

coz1 Thanks, I wanted to have a conversation where Octavian wasn't so 'moody'.

Also if any of my non Romanian readers are wondering, a Zmeu is:

Wikipedia said:
The Zmeu (plural: zmei, feminin: zmeoaică/zmeoaice) is a fantastic creature of Romanian folklore and Romanian mythology. Sometimes compared to other fantastic creatures, such as the balaur or the "vârcolac", the zmeu is nevertheless distinct, because it usually has clear antropomorphic traits: it is humanoid and has legs, arms, the ability to create and use artefacts such as the weapons, or the desire to marry young girls. In some stories, Zmeu appears in the sky and spits fire. In other stories, it has a magical precious stone on its head that shines like the sun. It likes beautiful young girls, whom it kidnaps, usually on the purpose of marrying them. It is almost always defeated by a daring prince or knight-errant.

The "zmeu" figures prominently in many Romanian folk tales as the manifestation of "pagan evil" and the destructive forces of greed and selfishness. Often times, the zmeu steals something of great value, which only Făt-Frumos (the Romanian "Prince Charming"; literally: "handsome youth") can retrieve through his great, selfless bravery. For example, in the ballad of the knight Greuceanu, the zmeu steals the sun and the moon from the sky, thereby enshrouding all humanity in darkness. In the story of "Prâslea the Brave and the Golden Apples", the zmeu robs the king of the precious "golden apples"; a parallel can be drawn to the Eleventh Labour of Hercules, in which Hercules must retrieve the Golden Apples of the Hesperides. Usually, the zmeu resides on the "other side of the world," and sometimes Făt-Frumos has to descend into his dark kingdom, implying that the zmeu lives underground, perhaps in the Underworld.

The zmeu has a plethora of magical, destructive powers at his disposal. He can fly, transform himself into various creatures, and has tremendous supernatural strength. Ultimately, the abilities of the zmeu are of no avail, as Făt-Frumos defeats him through martial skill and daring.

I liked that conversation also. Octavian has a tendency to brood, and I think the past slights against him have made him a little bitter. It's good to see him relax.

Zmeu? I like it! Now I wanna be a zmeu!

CatKnight said:
I liked that conversation also. Octavian has a tendency to brood, and I think the past slights against him have made him a little bitter. It's good to see him relax.

Zmeu? I like it! Now I wanna be a zmeu!

Yes, Octavian is a rather introverted character but he opens up later... not sow how or when though ;) Next update will be tommorow. :)

Sorry about the delay everybody! I am currently having a problem/argument with Canada Post and I haven't been able to update as much as I could. But I am certain I can get an update in my the end of the day at the latest

The Sword of Dacia

The Hangover

Chapter XXII​

jimmydiottria_g000040.jpg

The first painting depicting glasses worn by Hugh de Provence by Tommaso da Modena dated 1352. These early glasses helped people like Octavian to see better but given that he suffered from Myopia, the benefits remained minimal until the invention of concave lenses in 1451

Octavian clutched at his head, the room around him was an indescribable blur of the most fanatic and horrifying colours he could imagine, and from all directions echoed a symphony of painful noises swirled into his ears. He struggled to gain a foothold on the ground that reeked of vomit. He backed into a wall and wisely chose to lean on it until the world around him would focus; it was then when Octavian noticed the metallic taste of blood dripping into his mouth from his lip. And not just blood on his mouth, he noticed there seemed to be spatters of blood on the floor and his clothes when he squinted hard enough.

“Oh… you’re awake!” chimed a blurry object in front of Octavian.

“My glasses… I… I can’t see without my glasses…” muttered the boier.

“Here” the figure said, as he handed Octavian… something. Octavian grabbed at, which indeed, turned out to be his glasses. He put them on but the lenses had been smudged my dirty fingers.

“Dammit, you’re not supposed to touch the lenses… I see as just as bad as before!” moaned Octavian. He felt like he was going to throw up again… and he did.

“You fought a lot better last night then I though you would! I’ve never seen such ferocity before!” laughed the indefinable blur in front of him. That laugh… it had to be Stefan.

“What… fight?” asked Octavian who was busy attempted to clean his lens with his shirt.

“You say you don’t remember? You really are a light weight then!” chuckled Stefan who courteously handed Octavian a towel to clean his glasses with.

“What do you mean?” replied Octavian as placed his glasses properly on the bridge of his nose, renewing his ability to see. He was in an unfamiliar room, which was indeed, covered in vomit.

“Where am I” asked Octavian.

“Oh, you’re in my house!”

“Oh… umm… I’m sorry about the mess…”

“Well that’s ok, I’m just surprised about how little you managed to get drunk off of!”

“Well the last thing that I remembered was having too much to drink…”

“I’d hardly call two glasses of wine ‘too much! Most could people drink more then that everyday with dinner!”

“Well… enough about the alcohol, what’s this about a fight?” asked Octavian.

“When we where leaving a group of Secui (Szeklers) jumped at us! They all had knives! One even had a sword! I guess they recognised you or something!” exclaimed Stefan. He gave Octavian a glass of water.

“Here, drink as much water as you can, it’s one of the only things you can do about hangovers” said Stefan who handed Octavian a glass of cold water. Octavian gulped the entire glass down.

“I was attacked?” asked the boier.

We were attacked… I’m not as young as I used to be but I put up quiet a fight! But my goodness, when you took out that stubby sword of yours…”

“My Cinquedea? Where is it?”

“Oh it was covered in blood, I had one of my servants clean it for you. You fought with great vigour for someone who could barely stand!”

“I did?”

“Yes! You seemed a bit unbalanced but you fought off three Secui by yourself!”

“What?”

“You even managed to kill one and wound two others! I would have never though someone like you could manage to fight off a bunch of thugs like that! Especially in your state! And fighting off a band of Secui! They’re the best fighters in the country!”

“I wish… I wish I can remember all of this Stefan but I can’t. Did they manage to get away?”

“Well most of them did but we still have the poor bastard you gutted… he’s still alive… for now. The other? You shot him in the leg with your umm… whatever it is”

“Did you recognise any of them?”

“No I didn’t actually, I don’t think I’ve seen them around here before. I haven’t had time to question any of them, they’re both unconscious and your brother has them locked up right now”

“What about you? Are you ok Stefan?”

“Me? Oh I’m fine, I used to fight men twice their size in my younger days! A few cuts and bruises can’t stop me!” laughed Stefan.

“By the way Mr. Prunariu… did we manage to discuss business? You where supposed to meet me representing the city’s Rumâni residents”

“Eh yes, we talked about it a little”

“Well if I forgot earlier I have to thank you for your cooperation. Without the local Rumâni we would be having a very difficult time garrisoning the city until reinforcements arrived. But I still can’t believe I was attacked! Do you think they knew who I was?”

“Probably, Secui are usually pretty rich, they wouldn’t need to gang up and rob a pair of drunks like us… ugh this smell is awful… I’ll get a maid to clean this… mess up, the two of us can talk about this over lunch in the kitchen…”

“Lunch? How long have I been… err… indisposed?”

“Well as soon as you shot one of them you sort of collapsed. The sound of your weapon alerted some locals and we hauled you back here”

“I feel like such a fool…” said Octavian as he rubbed his head.

“This has all been so… ridiculous” he continued. Octavian gave a little stretch and walked with Stefan to the kitchen but before they could eat anything there was a loud knock on the door. There guests where two of Octavian’s soldiers, they had come to tell the boier that one of his attackers had finally waken up and was ready to be interrogated.

I think that, when drunk, Octavian turns into his alter-ego who surfaces in normal life too, when confrunted with desperate situations.

I see an inner battle between the kind scholar-type Octavian and this mad warrior. And i like it... :D

He needs to take some Goody's head ache powder, have a steak and eggs and go back to sleep for another hour or so. At least that's my cure. ;)

Yet another example of what Octavian is capable of if provoked.

From chapter XX

I'm working on catching up, but in the meantime just to say that I loved the way Octavian turned the tables in this chapter.

Fnuco Thanks! :) I'll expand on that further by the way.

coz1 For hangovers I usually get of Irn Bru, it's hard to get over here but not impossible ;)

stnylan Thanks, it was fun writing it :)

The Sword of Dacia

The Father

Chapter XXII

The two soldiers grumbled quietly to each other while Octavian and Stefan rode behind on horseback. Stefan lived quiet a ways away from the prefecture building so the trip would be rather lengthy.

“Hmmm…”

“Umm… is something bothering you Stefan?”

“Your soldiers…”

“What about them…”

“Can you hear what they’re saying?”

“Umm… no… why?”

“There seems to be some hints of discontent amongst the ranks”

“W-What? What sort of discontent? I feed them, I’ve armed them and trained them… what more do they want?”

“You do know it’s customary to let your soldiers… have their fun for three days after taking a city…”

“I know what is customary but you should be thankful I stopped them! You could have been killed! I’ve read about the results after taking a city… I will not have my men acting as animals, besides, three whole days of looting!? We can’t afford to make such costly stopover… there’s always a town in the distance… always another wall to breach… another army to defeat… the longer we stay in one town the longer the next town has to prepare.”

“Hmmm… spoken like a man who knows his priorities”

“My priorities are to his Lordship, Voievod Mihail. If my soldiers want to rape and pillage they should join the Turk. My soldiers are training for battle, not for spreading misery and terror. And I will not have them act so grievously towards other Christians whether they be Orthodox or Catholic.”

“I’m not sure your men are as high-minded as their commander…”

“So… it’s not like they helped take the city, if anything, I should be the only one who should be allowed to loot the town!”

“Indeed!” laughed Stefan who wiped some mucus dripping from his cold nose.

“So far you’ve proven to be an excellent fighter... And a bold one at that! Where did you learn to fight? Maybe could teach my good for nothing son-in-law a few moves!” jested the old shepherd.

“Umm… I don’t know… I learned the basics from my father for a short time... but… I would not consider myself talented… I am a man of books, not of swords,” said Octavian while adjusting his glasses.

“From what I’ve seen, if you can read and write as well as you use that stubby sword of yours then you must be brilliant!” exclaimed Stefan.

“It’s Nistor, my brother, who’s the warrior of the family. He’s much taller, stronger and faster then I could ever hope to be”

“You’re being far too modest. Your father taught you well! He must have been a great man!”

“Hardly. My father was a drunk and a coward. He is a disgrace to my family and my grandfather. The last thing I want to be compared to is to him. I’d rather not talk about him at all”

From that point until they reached the prefecture building there was silence, neither Stefan nor Octavian spoke a word to each other for the remainder of their short urban sojourn. Stefan gazed down at his feet while Octavian stared off into the white nothingness of winter. It was an awkward moment for Stefan; he had felt he had offended Octavian and his mind raced with ways to apologise in the future. Octavian on the other hand had a face of stone; he looked to the distant West looking at nothing in particular, not a single emotion emitted from his face while they rode onward.

After reaching the building Octavian walked away with the one soldier while the other brought the horse into a makeshift stable leaving Stefan with Nistor, who was there to greet them. The bastard invited the old shepherd in to warm himself by the fire.

“So your Nistor eh? Octavian’s brother?” asked Stefan.

“Yes I a-well I’m his half-brother actually…” said Nistor, correcting himself midway through his sentence. He always looked rather embarrassed whenever he had to explain his relation with Octavian. He was not proud of being illegitimate and often avoided talking about it completely. He wanted to be remembered as a man of God, not some boier’s bastard son.

“Say no more friend… I know exactly what it is like to be in your situation,” said Nistor.

Nistor was surprised by the comment, he had never heard anybody admitting that they where… illegitimate before.

“But… I want to ask you something young man… about Octavian… has he ever… shown any skill fighting before?” asked Stefan.

“Octavian? No never… but I have to admit we where not close, soon after I was born he left for Italia… I don’t even really remember him. What I knew of him until he came back was from Părinte Theofan. He called Octavian a smart boy but always keeping to himself… it seems that hasn’t really changed. I only really met him when he got off his ship in Moldavia; I was of course, there to meet him in Cetatea Albă after we received a letter Octavian had transcribed in Slavonic for us. He looked so ridiculous, I mistook him for another Italian merchant until he started speaking in the worst Rumâni I’ve ever heard!” the two laughed a bit at the expense at Octavian who’s Rumâni had only marginally improved since he returned to Ţara Românească from Florenţa.

“Well… I wanted to ask you about your father… Octavian did not seem to want to talk about it…”

Nistor stopped laughing and gave a heavy sigh.

“It’s a long story…” scoffed Nistor.

“Well if it’s so long you should probably start now then”

Yes, time he hear the full story of the rift between Octavian and his father.

And I'm liking Stefan quite a bit. Good to see he will be sticking around for a while.

As for looting, probably best to keep the men from doing such if they want the germans to be compliant citizens.

Thanks coz1! The next update will all be about Ionascu de la Călăraşi. Unfortunatly that update isn't today because I'm spend all day playing Phoenix Wright:Ace Attorney/Gyakuten Saiban: Yomigaeru Gyakuten, the world's great lawyer game ever made.

The Sword of Dacia

Chapter XXIII

Ionascu

Nicopol_final_battle_1398.jpg

The Battle of Nikopol

“Our father’s name was Ionascu de la Călăraşi, he was born some time in March in 1374, in the Muntenian town of Călăraşi. He probably knew the date of his birth… but it seems he never told anyone. He was the son of Alexandru de la Călăraşi, who himself, was the son of Nicolae de la Călăraşi who can be considered the founder of our family. As I said earlier… my own connection to my family is… rather poor… all those shared memories families are supposed to hold are nothing but stories to me. I did not know my father well… I will probably never know my real mother… and Octavian’s mother… well I will get to that later. But as I said earlier… my family is almost nothing more then a fable to be, recited to my sister and I as we lay in bed. I think I can speak objectively about him because of this. I have no personal memory or attachment to the man… I can’t even bake like my relatives could… but the way I see it, there’s nothing to cloud my judgment… I’ve had to keep perspective of the whole ordeal… all I have dozens of stories of a man who was my father. But… they are my only family and I hold these stories close to my heart”

“You seem rather comfortable with the idea…”

“I’ve… grown used to the idea… Well my father wasn’t originally supposed to be heir to Alexandru, he had an older brother, Petru, but he succumbed to illness at the age of eleven before he could inherit his father’s title. So it was passed to my father. Ionascu and Alexandru it seems did not get along. My grandfather Alexandru was a resolute soldier, a tough bastard apparently. He fought in countless battles during the reigns of Radu and Dan, he could always seem to be counted on for loyalty and strength. His second son though… was… not one would expect from such a fierce warrior. Ionascu was a boy of flaws. He was lazy, fat, and unmotivated. My father would rather sit around and eat then do anything useful. This aggravated my grandfather to no end. He wanted his son to be strong, and to be able to bear all the pressures of being a boier. Alexandru tried to beat some sense into his portly son but nothing seemed to work. Ionascu’s leisurely lifestyle remained intact. Eventually though, rather out of the blue it seemed, Ionascu developed and interest in warfare after seeing his father meet with an old friend who had brought Alexandru a finely crafted Saracen scimitar as a gift. It was a brilliant piece of metallurgy; it was a shamir, made of the finest Damascus steel, the brilliant patterns on the weapon resembled the rolling and swirling tides on the Marea Neagră, mysterious and enchanting. Ionascu became obsessed with it. After cutting himself on this magnificent sword while trying to play with it, Alexandru offered to teach his son how to properly wield a sword.

Alexandru was a very tough teacher, from the wee hours in the morning to when the sun faded into the East they would train constantly. They eventually moved on from just swords to polearms, archery, mounted combat, wrestling and dagger play. Everyday Alexandru would push his son harder and harder and Ionascu would become more and more talented. He was also getting more confident, bolder and stronger… Alexandru was happy to see his son actually excel at something-”

“Umm… sorry to interrupt you Nistor but… what is that smell?”

“Oh… that’s my brother’s drink,” said Nistor who gestured towards a bizarre little pot on the table surrounded by small saucers and cups.
“What is it?”, asked Stefan.

“Umm… I think I heard him calling it kahveh or caffè or something… it’s some sort of drink made out of beans”

“Beans?”

“Yes, beans… rather odd if you ask me”

“It smells… Very good actually”

“You probably shouldn’t drink it… my brother wouldn’t like it… it’s a lot of work to make this and he’s very protective of the large sack of beans he brought over from Italia, he says he wants to make a glass house so he can grow his own!”

“Why would he need a glass house?”

“I’m not sure…”

“Well… I think we can have a little sip, Octavian wouldn’t notice!” laughed the old man as he lifted up a small cup. He poured the small engraved pot’s hot liquid content into his cup, filling the room with more interesting smells.

“My brother drinks this stuff all the time, he doesn’t really drink alcohol, all he ever drinks is this stuff!”

“Your brother doesn’t drink!? That would probably explain why he was such a light weight when we went out last night!”

“No he doesn’t drink actually, well not much anyway. It’s very peculiar, he says he prefers this stuff because it doesn’t make you drunk”

“But getting drunk is the best part!”

“Well that’s not an opinion my brother shares I guess” said Nistor who poured himself a cup of the hot brown and foamy drink. They both gave a little sip of the drink.

“This is fantastic!” exclaimed Stefan as he took another sip.

“I can see why he drinks this so much! The flavour is very unique,” laughed Nistor.

“And now I see why he keeps it all for himself! But about the story…”

“Oh right… well where did I leave off?”

“The training” replied the old shepherd.

“Well after years of training this way Ionascu emerged a changed man, he was confident, focused and had become extremely skilled in combat. He was probably one of the best swordfighters in all of Wallachia, or at least, that’s what I’ve heard. He was married to Octavian’s mother in 1393. It was the biggest wedding the town had ever seen. The dashing and gallant boier, Ionascu, and the beautiful Stela Arbore, from a wealthy Rumâni-Genoese shipping family from Cetatea Albă were the talk of the whole region for a while.”

“So is that why Octavian is so obsessed with Italia? His mother was part Italian?”

“No… but it certainly helped. Without those connections he would have never been able to study in Florenţa like he did. They shipped him free of charge from the Marea Neagră to Italia and through some business connections… and some say extortion, managed to find several schools willing to take him in. Stela was more Rumâni then Italian though, and she cannot speak Italian but she understand it a little apparently”

“Ah, that makes sense… although this Italian family sounds a bit dangerous… and why did Octavian get sent to Italia in the first place?”

“I will answer that question in good time Stefan. So as expected from a boier of his age, Ionascu was called for service to his Lord, Mircea, and took up his sword along with his father and went off to battle against the Infidel. That battle… was Nikopol”

“My god!”

“Well… I probably shouldn’t have to tell you about what happened... It was an utter failure… Mircea’s army was to the Eastern flank. There was a panic in the Wallachian ranks when they saw those rider-less French horses wander back to Sigismund’s camp, Mircea withdrew his troops back across the Dunăre but not before the Wallachians were attacked by Anatolian cavalry and Janissaries. Swarms of Turks ran screaming down the hills, and the mounted archers and light cavalry scattered our, already retreating troops. It was a disaster, not as bad as what happened to the French or Magyars but it was a debacle from the start. Heh… old King Sigismund never trusted us after that again… anyway Ionascu and Alexandru where cut off from the retreating Wallachian column on the shores of the river. Given the haphazard retreat the Genoese and Venetian ships had little time to prepare to ferry the survivors across. Unfortunately, Ionascu and Alexandru were not able to reach the ships in time. They had been cut off after a rather nasty encounter with some of those goddamn traitorous Janissaries, a bunch of vile, disgusting… errr… well anyway The two ran as fast as they could to the river, hopefully a ship would see them and come pick them up, or if they where desperate enough, they could try to swim to a small island in the river which was not too far off. But before they could do either, a small group of Turkish horseman rode up and surrounded then. Father and son drew their swords… but then… something in Ionascu… I can’t really explain it. He pushed over his father and ran as quickly as he could, leaving Alexandru to his fate. His blood curdling screams for help where ignored by his son who leapt into the river and swam back to Wallachia.”

“So he abandoned his father to die?”

“Yes, and after that, he was never the same... it seems. He became sullen and depressed. He had nigh terrors… so many sleepless nights screaming for his father. He also stopped teaching his son swordplay altogether. Stela tried to cheer up Ionascu but to no avail, Ionascu had become a drunk and a gambler, every night he would go out and lose more and more of his money. The only thing that probably kept us solvent during those dark years was a Slav named Aleksandar who my father took in after the battle, maybe because he reminded him of his father. Although he did occasionally take advantage of Ionascu he also worked hard to keep Călăraşi profitable and… he was a bit of an inspiration for me”

“You knew this… Aleksandar fellow?”

“Oh yes, he was my teacher along with Părinte Teofan. He was a Bolgar, from Sofia but his family fled after the Turks took the city in 1382 and had wandered aimlessly around the countryside with his family until my father took them in. Aleksandar was a brilliant man, an expert in the field of mathematics even though he didn’t have any formal tutelage on the subject. Teofan was sceptical at first about these ‘secular sciences’ but he relented after a while… I guess Aleksandar felt responsible for taking care of Irina and I after my father… oh right my father! Well… now where was I?”

“Your father had just returned from Nikopol”

“Oh right, well also it was during this time Octavian’s mother started behaving… erratically, she was only in her early twenties when it happened. It was very odd, as Stela’s identical twin Maria didn’t show any symptoms… Well anyway she started not moving for long periods of time… her speech became disorganised, she was hearing and seeing people who were not in the room… or even exist for that matter. One of the most notable ones was a man she kept claiming to see named Adam. He kept telling her to do… strange things… like turning all the tables upside down… or to kills cats. She cried for no reason and was soon unable to dress herself. It was all rather terrifying for young Octavian, who grew up of being absolutely molly coddled by her”

“Was she possessed by the devil? It certainly sounds like something occult to me”

“Indeed it would seem like that… Teofan tried as hard as he could to exorcise what was possessing Octavian’s mother but nothing seemed to work. And word had spread about ‘The mad woman of Călăraşi’. My father loved Stela but it was only when she attacked him when he realised he had to do something drastic”

“And what was that?”

“He had either two choices… get rid of her or to make her disappear… it was a terrible decision to make because until his dying breathe he spoke about how much he cared for her… Well my father took the humane action of locking Stela in our house’s dungeon…”

“Your house has a dungeon?!”

“Yes… we get that a lot… it’s sort of hard to explain… we mainly use it as a wine celar now but Ionascu tried to make the place as comfortable as possible… After my mother was locked away my father became even worse. He was no longer simple a miserable coward… he was an absolute wreck… the only joy in life he found was in alcohol, gambling and women”

“And that is where you came from?”

“Yes… I don’t know who my mother was… I don’t think Ionascu knew either. She simply showed up nine months later with a baby and then left town the next day”

“I’m the product of my father, a shepherd like myself, having a wild night with a young gypsy girl”

“Admitting to being a bastard is never pleasant but it’s good to see I’m not as alone as I feel I am sometimes”

“Cheers to bastards!” laughed Stefan as he raised his small cup to Nistor. Nistor did the same.

“Cheers to bastards indeed!” he laughed but then realized he had gotten side tracked.

“Umm... where was I Stefan?”

“You where talking about your father’s excess’ and Stela’s madness”

“Thank you Stefan… Well, by this time Stela’s family was getting concerned… with her madness and Ionascu’s wonton inability to do anything it was decided that he should be sent to Italia. The only problem was that nobody wanted to take responsibility for the boy. He was the son of frankly, a horrible human being and a madwoman, and he was not Italian, he was Rumâni… an Orthodox Rumâni at that! Nobody wanted to be associated with him. So it was decided that he should leave and fend for himself. He was given a rather sizeable allowance and, at the age of four, was shipped off to Italia for fifteen years. He has only been back in Wallachia for four years. The journey across the Mediterană is a long voyage and takes a bit less then a year each way considering all the stopovers that are made. Soon after Ionascu died… which given his lifestyle, seemed rather inevitable… sometimes I think he wanted to die but was to scared of simply hanging himself. Afterwards my older half-sister and I went off to live with Părinte Teofan and after ten years Irina left to marry a boier in Horezu, I think his name was Dan something… Tudor maybe? I don’t really remember… Well either way she left… I’ve heard she’s had a daughter but we do not see each other very much… we never really got along anyway. She was always so bossy and prim and proper, she treated my like garbage to. My father now is buried now in the town’s cemetery, he lies… rather ironically beside his father, Alexandru, whose body they have never recovered… I don’t go there often but I can’t help but to pray for him since I am studying to become a diacon now afterall…”

“Sounds like you family is rather… dysfunctional”

“I guess you’re right, but as I said earlier, they are the only family I’ve got”

Last edited:
Ionascu's whoring and drinking comes into clearer focus. And I suppose the rift has much to do with Octavian being shipped off with little in the way of prospects at such a young age.

And perhaps Stela needs a good blood-letting. Sounds like her humors are out of balance. ;)