• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
After the joyous coronation of our Queen Elizabeth as our righteous Head of State, all loyal subjects were invited for the Royal Assembly to vote on four different matters.
William was - as always - very excited to be there, as that is the place to (help) shape our country to be the best it can be.

Freedom of the Clergy Act: No
I feel that the clergy should have all their time available for religious matters to serve our country right. Having a spouse or children can only steer attention away from the thing they are tasked with.
The children's Soul Conservation Act: Yes
Alliances are important for the continuation of someone's rule over a certain territory, and possibly expand it. I, however, feel that there should be some kind of age limit before a betrothal can be made between two minors. They should have the time to develop, learn, and to a certain extent also play, before having to think about heavy things like marriage and a wife/husband.
Trade Act of 1450: Yes
Trading between our islands and the European mainland is of great importance. I agree on creating a few marketplaces on both sides of the Channel, but I feel that there is currently no need in creating a marketplace in Essex and Calais. The three other locations provide a much stronger hold on trading in the English Channel and Bordeaux.
((As I can't open your savegame, I'm going with the trade values I'm seeing in some standard games. I don't see the added value for marketplaces in Calais and Essex, as they provide less than 10.0 trade power. The three other provinces provide at least around 25.0 trade power. I feel the money might be better spend elsewhere. - Please correct me on the trade power numbers if they are incorrect.))

New Ally: None
At the moment we have three solid allies. Portugal and Castile can assist us on the seas, whereas Austria is clearly the dominant force in the Holy Roman Empire and should therefore be allied. I feel that we should invest in improving relations with them, as the proposed new allies don't seem to add much to our current situation.

William was happy to hear James of Huntingdon's plan for modifying Earl Walpole's plan for expanding England. Attacking Scotland and taking land from them, could lead to a possible expansion of the land he was ruling over. New land taken from enemies should be integrated in our glorious country as quickly as possible, and how better to do that than with a real Englishman ruling those counties.

A Change to the second point of Count Walpole's Plan: Yes
Attacking Scotland and taking land from them will strenghten our rule over the British Isles, our beloved homeland. France seems to be too powerful with their allies to take on without support of our own allies. This way we can still get involved in France, without having to take on their dangerous allies.

Count William Clifford - 3 votes

Last edited:
March 1450, The Royal Assembly

James was listening to the Queens first speech in the Royal Assembly. To him she seemed like a strong woman who made her decisions based on logic and strategy rather then favors. Her first wise move was to listen to James and not let herself be crowned by Chaffinch who just upset the Holy Father, but by the traditional coronator, the Bishop of Canterbury.
Four new acts where presented to the Assembly to be voted upon, but James realised that these where mainly regarding the inner politics of the Realm, therefore he stood up to propose one more:

Your Majesty, my Friends and Colleagues of the Assembly. I propose to you a Change to Walpoles original Plan for the initial expansion of the English Kingdom: The first step has been fulfilled, not like John Walpole wanted, but by more intelligent means by vassalizing the Irish lords. Luckily the old King listened to me in this matter, James thought.
The next step, attacking France needs still four years of waiting to get our allies to join and we should strike now, because the french and the burgundian are fighting each other as we speak. France has strong alliances in Europe with Florence, Provence and Savoy helping them. We can't attack them directly because our allies are not ready to join us yet, but this is an opportunity to strengthen our rightfull rule over the british isles. Scotland is in a weak position right now, fighting against Denmark in the Swedish independence war and are only guaranteed by France who are in their own war. Therefore I propose:

A Change to the second point of Walpoles Plan:
Instead of attacking France right now we attack Scotland to conquer the border provinces on which we have a claim. France alone can be beaten but not with their allies, we could destroy their armies and maybe make them loose to Burgundy. We can annull their alliances and weaken them enough to be able to fight them later with more ease.

James sat down again. He, the person who was normally so against all fighting, had just called for war. He could only reassure himself that war was coming whatever he did but this one could be won with lesser casualties and a better outcome.

((EDIT: @delpiero1234 Is it still possible for me to add this Proposal while the voting has allready started, I wasn't really watching the thread for the last hour or so...))

Last edited:
((I don't think votes can be proposed when the voting phase is already underway. But if it can, I would support opening a war against the Scottish. Might be nice to at the same time start thinking about opening Ducal possessions, or allowing multiple counties to be administered by the same person - thinking from my character of course. Maybe administer two counties for a few years before being allowed to take a ducal title over those provinces, having one remaining count title (on your original territory) and having the other one open for a new player - needs some thinking this system ^^))

Reactions:
((I have put the modified expansion plan up for vote. Those who have already voted may simply update their post. The reason for this is that I told Istar on IRC that he can propose a new expansion plan even today))

Reactions:
Freedom of the Clergy Act: Yes
Since I'm not the most devout Christian, I believe priests marrying and having children is fine.

The children's soul conservation act: Yes
Betrothing children under the age of ten and ruining their childhood innocence is a crime against God and should be a crime against humanity.

We need to modernize our country's trade centers, so I definitely support this act.

New ally: Brandenburg
We must find an alliance in the HRE just in case it dissolves in the future, so Brandenburg is a pretty decent ally.

((Might be nice to at the same time start thinking about opening Ducal possessions, or allowing multiple counties to be administered by the same person - thinking from my character of course. Maybe administer two counties for a few years before being allowed to take a ducal title over those provinces, having one remaining count title (on your original territory) and having the other one open for a new player - needs some thinking this system ^^))

((The reason for this is that I told Istar on IRC that he can propose a new expansion plan even today))

((@delpiero1234: If you have some time left in the upcoming days - and willing to talk about it in this stage -, I'd be happy to talk a bit on IRC about possibilities for administer multiple counties/becoming a duke.))

Reactions:
Voting in the Assembly

The new Laws which where to be voted upon where just brought before the Royal Assembly.

Bishop Chaffinch wished to give the Clergy the freedom to marry and get children, what was this man thinking? First he supported the annulation of a marriage and now he wanted to marry himself? The Queen did well by increasing her distance from this man. James made sure to send him a message that told the Bishop to send Robert back home. That is what ambition can make you do, James thought, you try to get on the good side with as many as you can and build your influence but one hasty missstep and you loose it all.

The habit to make bethroals as your children where born was allways strange to James so the Act to give those a minimum age was not something he had to think to long about.

Trade matters where not really James' field of expertise he decided to let the Merchants decide this Act.

Trade Act of 1450: Abstain

Our defensive standpoint on the continent is quite strong and we shouldn't overextend our diplomatic possibilities. A new alliance with Brandenburg or Venice would not help our politics at all. An alliance with the Pope however could strenghten our influence on the Holy See and give us an ally in Italy. James wasn't sure if it was worth it, better strengthen the Alliances you have.

New ally: None

"This act was my proposal," James thought again, "and if it suceeds we send men to die." It was still possible to vote against the changes, still was there a way to not make the name James of Huntingdon connected to a plan for agressive war. "NO. This act will save countless soldiers who would have died in a long and costly war against France and his allies. It's the best way to strengthen England and the crown."

Modified Expansion Plan: Yes

James of Huntingdon, participated in 4 votes.

When the voting was completed, James wrote one letter and after that prepared for his leave to Rome where he was sent by the Queen.

Your Excellence Bishop Chaffinch,
I want to thank you for your time educating my son Robert for the last years. Her Majesty the Queen sends me to Rome in the upcoming days and I want to take him with me. He learned about the papal court and would be a great help for me. Thank you once more for your service.
Yours truly James of Huntingdon.

Royal assembly votes

Both the freedom of the clergy and children's soul conservation acts, were both matters of religion and since I am not experienced in that field, I believe I should not take part. But the freedom of the clergy act worries me, how would the pope and other countries look at us for going against what other countries have been doing for hundreds of years and people who wanted a change to the system and believed the pope and church corrupt, but too scared too argue for change. Would they believe that this could be their chance?

Freedom of the clergy act: Abstain.
The children's soul conservation act: Abstain.

Finally an act on trade, of course I will vote yes, some places need desperate money as their ports are falling apart and trade is one of the main ways to bring in income.

Trade act of 1450: Yes.

For this Edward voted no, allying with Venice and Brandenburg could get us into a war with either the strong Poland or our ally Austria. The papal states would be a great way too increase our influence, would we be brought into wars against the ottomans if the pope called another crusade, while how unlikely that would be, it still is a danger. Also three loyal allies are better than four allies that will never help you.

New ally: None.

For this Edward voted yes, but instead of conquering lands and angering the local population maybe causing revolts. We should vassalize Scotland, while this would cause a strain on relations, we could annex Scotland without angering the local population.

Modified expansion plan: Yes.

Edward Andrews participated in three votes.

I edited my vote.

((Whoever is editing my Family tree, stop it now.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
(Letter to James of Huntingdon)
I will send Robert home as soon as possible but may I request you come North for a brief discussion on recent events. I appreciate this may interfere with your plans but your opinion on such matters interests me.
-Bishop Chafficnh

While James was packing for his journey to Rome, where he would meet the Pope, a answer for his letter to Bishop Chaffinch arrived. He asked that James may come north to meet him to discuss "recent events". James knew what this meant, Chaffinch has lost his good position at the court and now he tried to establish himself again but this time he went a safer route. James couldn't easily meet him in the open, to be close to a man that was just pushed away by the Queen and the Pope is political suicide. However, if nothing James was curious, and knowledge meant power so to know what Chaffinch thought could be most beneficial. He decided to not let his son be sent to him, but to pick him up personally in Newcastle. For Chaffinch this was a posibility to explain himself and his plans, for the court James would be seen as the father that takes away his son from the bishop who angered the Queen and the church. A win-win situation.

EDIT:
Your Excellence, I'll come to pick up my son personally, I request you to prepare a ship for me from the nearest port so I can make my way to Rome without further complications.
- Robert of Huntingdon

Last edited:
Reactions:
The children's soul conservation act: No
Trade Act of 1450: No
New ally: Papal State

Allowing priests to marry and forbidding early betrothals? How absurd! Even Crawly knew the Church frowned on both acts. Besides, he did not want to get married. It was too much pressure. Much easier to drink alone in your room.

At least the coronation had proceeded smoothly. He was very drunk but he managed to say and do the right things as far as he could tell. Thankfully everyone's attention was fixed on the queen and not him.

((Will the Freedom of the clergy act, affect catholic reform desire?))
((If the act passes then reform desire increase by 1.5% and Papal Influence decreases by -10; if the act fails then we get +10 Papal Influence and reform desire drops by 1.5%. Sounds fair? I am open to suggestions.))

Reactions:
((How are relations between Austria and Venice/Brandenburg?))
((Venice has the friendly attitude towards as. They also have rivalled Burgundy. Brandenburg is neutral towards us.))

Freedom of Clergy Act:Yes
The Children's Soul Convesation Act:No
Trade Act of 1450:Yes,also make. Calais ask staple port
Alliance:Brandenburg
Modified Expansion:Yes.

(( Note: how badly is my rep damaged seems to range from minor to people not wanting to be seen in public with me?))

(( Note: how badly is my rep damaged seems to range from minor to people not wanting to be seen in public with me?))
((Well, for a few years, I'd say until the next update, your character has a rather poor reputation when it comes to spiritual matters. People might seek less guidance from you, etc. The Queen won't want your services for the time being either. Maybe less people will want to have their babies baptized by you, etc. Of course, if someone has a poor opinion of the Pope himself, then their opinion of you might not have been negatively influenced. However, the majority of the "common" people as in NPCs will view you definitely more negatively. I hope that answers your question.))

Reactions:
((Not going to write this one in character but will include a short reason for each.

I feel this is a central part of being/roleplaying a Catholic. Exceptions are a thing, but it should not be the rule. And from an RP POV it's only more interesting if someone gets this outside the rules.

It's my own law, so obviously I'm going to vote yes.

Prioritize CoTs and estuarires, but in general, yes.

New ally: None

No need and the ones proposed don't seem that useful to begin with to me.

Sure, Scotlannd first sounds fine.

))